(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,262 posts
  • 468 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 395 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(556 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,254 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5557 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5556 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5554 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5548 (resized).jpeg
A60145C3-9132-4708-AE36-D7570E45B8CA (resized).jpeg
20190801_215929 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2436 (resized).jpeg
TRON Wall.jpg
Image 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4781 3 years ago

I've just joined the club and am starting to understand what all the buzz is about. Someone told me to leave my back door open so that centerflank can deliver a welcome "package", WTF?

20160120_174605_(resized).jpg

I have noticed that on my machine, the GEM shot and the left loop shot frequently (approximately 25% of shots) results in a SDTM. Is this normal or is there potentially something missing in the pops area of my machine?

20160117_171119-02_(resized).jpeg

#4783 3 years ago

I don't mind the SDTM drains if that is part of the game. I have only played one other Tron machine and I didn't notice getting SDTM so often from the pops. Is this typical?

Also, who sells sleeves in different thicknesses?

Yep, that's the one I picked up.

#4791 3 years ago

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but I learned from this that Stern post sleeves (left) are thinner than Williams post sleeves (right). Maybe everyone already knew this except me.

20160125_211935_(resized).jpg

In summary, if the balls are not being deflected into the pops, replace the Stern post sleeve above the Zuse pop bumper with a Williams post sleeve. This eliminated nearly all of my SDTM drains from the pops.

#4793 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Does it return to the flipper now or always deflect into the pops?

With the Williams (thicker) post sleeve, a strong plunge, or a strong shot to the left loop will send the ball to the pops nearly all the time now.

Previously, with the Stern post sleeve, those same shots would fly through the pops or otherwise miss the pops and straight to the flippers, frequently down the middle.

#4825 3 years ago

If anybody has a Tron and is comfortable with Pinball Browser, please contact me. I need help on this project:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress#post-2944232

#4830 3 years ago

I replaced the flasher under "Flynn's" with an LED flasher so that I could dim it even further (I use a sharpie on the LED's) on top of setting the flasher brightness to "dim" in the menu. Now I noticed that it doesn't blink during Sea of Simulation.

So, I'm stuck with either no flashing during Sea of Simulation (LED) or something that is blinding to me (an uncovered incandescent bulb). Any ideas?

#4841 3 years ago

Nice. What did you put under the former Flynn's plastic?

#4887 3 years ago

For those without the Quorra and Gem translite but would like to see more of them, these are sized to print on 4x6 photo paper set to "no edge bleed" or "fit image to paper" on your printer:

Tron_left_(resized).png
Tron_right_(resized).png
Tron_right_DP_(resized).png

#4891 3 years ago

I went back and forth on LED colors on the slingshot area. I didn't like using yellows on the left and blues on the right because it seemed to wash out all other colors that weren't yellow and blue. But using white LED's seem to make everything too faded rather than vibrant.

This seemed to be an excellent compromise and I thought some people might like to try this as a third option. The 2nd picture shows the LED colors that I selected for each location.

20160206_175118_(resized).jpg

20160206_175118_-_Copy_(resized).jpg

#4900 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

All TRONS are to be switched over to translucent rubbers by end of March or face a hefty fine plus public shaming.

Personally, I'm waiting to see if Super Bands comes out with their lineup of transparent rings. The Super Band flipper rubbers are sometimes criticized for being too "dead", but my experience is that the Super Posts are bouncier than black rubbers.

I think fully transparent rings could look really good on Tron.

#4906 3 years ago

Maybe you can take some of the black disc grime and rub it on the clear disc to slow it down.

The spinning disc is the best feature of Tron, so more spinning is more bester.

#4917 3 years ago

Let us know how the Titan rings feel.

#4922 3 years ago

Differences in flipper rubber seem very well discussed, Titan vs. Super Bands vs. conventional rubbers. There seems to be consensus on what the differences are.

I'm not sure if there is a consensus on Titan rings vs. conventional rings vs. Pinball Center vs. Pinball Life translucent rings. I've certainly noticed that some of these have a distinct lack of bounce, but I haven't heard uniform assessment on the others.

#4927 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Based on the materials you should have a good idea how they perform.

I am referring to playfield rings, not flipper rubbers. So, for example, Perfect Play does not yet have a line of rings.

There would appear to still be a great range in adjustability in stiffness based on the discussion in the Titan rings thread. Furthermore, in my experience, Super Band flipper rubbers are less bouncy than standard rubbers, but Super Band mini-posts are MORE bouncy than standard rubbers. Generalizing based on material alone seems to be problematic.

#4929 3 years ago

Hey, where is Quorra's right hand?

#4948 3 years ago

This seems to be a standard Stern problem that is probably made worse if you have a shaker motor. I've had this exact same thing happen on other Stern machines as well.

#4975 3 years ago

Ball came to rest here during a game:

20160214_134408_(resized).jpg

#5017 3 years ago

Purpledrillmonkey is officially starting up another batch of the Herg-designed mod which integrates Eli ramps with RGB lighting: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lighting-mod-for-tron-ramp-kit-owners-gauging-interest/page/4#post-2979062

Along with the announced Color DMD, it's a great day for Tron owners.

#5036 3 years ago

Here it is if you don't want to leave the comfort of the lamp thread:

#5069 3 years ago

I don't always look at them, but when I get a chance to cradle the ball, I do look up and see how much time might be left. In that brief moment, I wish I knew what I was running out of time on. I have it all memorized from reading the Pinball News detailed review, but then promptly forget everything while playing.

1 week later
#5194 3 years ago

For anyone who has not been seduced by chili and still loves Tron, I thought I would share my experiences with wax and the spinning disc grime.

In all cases, I started with a Novus 2 cleaning of the playfield, which cleans off the black disc grime and any previous wax.

1) Mothers California Gold carnauba paste wax helped to slow down the accumulation of spinning disc residue. However, after 1 week of play, there is noticeable build up of black residue down the center of the playfield, the in-lanes, and the orbits. Some of the residue could be removed with a cloth, but most could not be removed except by reapplying Novus 2 which requires rewaxing.
mothers_(resized).jpg

2) Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax has been keeping my playfield free of grime for two weeks now. There is very little noticeable black residue. What little black residue is on the playfield is easily cleaned up by using the accompanying Turtle Wax ice spray detailer, which is claimed to also be a wax booster. Neither the wax nor the detailer will stain plastics (such as star posts) or leave behind any white dust. I have also used the detailer to clean up the Recognizer targets.
turtle-wax-ice-400_(resized).jpg

I have no idea if this wax works well on cars or if this is good for keeping other pinball dirt off the playfield. But for those who prefer keeping the black spinning disc, application of Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax, followed by weekly touch-ups with Turtle Wax Ice detailer and ball cleaning has kept my playfield clean of the black spinning disc residue and kept ball speeds FAST. And faster is more bester.

#5214 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am thinking about it flank for sure...

There is also a Tron LE in the Michigan thread.

You may feel differently, but I feel that Eli ramp lights and the Arcade machine mods are must-haves. You could try to find an unmodded Tron, but the stock and availability of both of these mods are becoming a bit unpredictable. For example, Pinbits was out of Eli lights for a stretch and only became available again a few days ago.

#5240 3 years ago

Hello Kitty is not a cat. You have brought forth a false prophet.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/kitty-not-cat-sanrio-article-1.1920049

Tron is safe.

#5326 3 years ago

I can't take credit for this, but elsewhere, I learned the following method to hit Gem:
1) Aim for the Quorra lane
2) As the ball loops around to the upper flipper, shake the machine to get the ball off the left lane guide.
3) With the ball off the lane guide, it becomes easier to let the ball come to the tip of the upper flipper (in order to get a better angle at the Gem lane). In other words, with the ball hugging the lane guide, a shot off the tip of the flipper would normally go to the side ramp, but with the ball away from the lane guide, a shot off the tip of the flipper can go to the Gem lane.

Certainly, having the Recognizer target bank down is a significant help, which can be done by:
A) Knocking down the target bank
B) Starting Quorra, then knocking the target bank repeatedly until it adds the fourth ball. I like this option because the Gem shot is needed to collect the super jackpot in Quorra anyway, so you might as well try to get Quorra and Gem at the same time. This second strategy is another stacking strategy that encourages the player to go for increased rewards, inevitably encouraging the drain and resulting in zero rewards. Such is the love/hate of Tron.

#5378 3 years ago

31396086_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#5542 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That's too bad. Not really sold on its looks but now that I own one, that Flynn sign would really be helpful to see when that arcade is lit without having to look at the insert.
hmmm mods with actuals gameplay benefits? wow...

One way to do this is to use the Comet Pinball Matrix system to duplicate the insert. For example, use the 1SMD Quick Connect on the Flynn insert, then use the new socket to light up a 3SMD strip. Mount the 3SMD under your scoop. Now, when the Flynn insert is lit, your scoop will be illuminated.

It's not my idea, but the Comet Pinball Matrix stuff makes it really easy to do this.

1 week later
#5649 3 years ago

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/jagermeister-shotmeister

jagermeister-shotmeister_(resized).jpeg

#5705 3 years ago
Quoted from Justbringit9282:

So i've read about 50% of the pages on this thread. (yes i was board). The only couple of questions that i have are :
1. My slingshots are shooting the ball perfectly down the outlanes (both sides, tried adjusting outlanes by putting them on rookie mode) i would say 50% of my out lane drains are because of this. should i be shaking my machine or is it a setup problem. I've also noticed that my disk doesn't toss the ball around nearly as much as most of the videos in here.
2. when i was cleaning up the machine the first time. i have a pretty gnarly dirt line coming out of the arcade scoop, how should i go about getting that funk off. Nov 2 ain't doing the trick.
3. what kind of pf wax should i be using.
thanks in advance new friends, and if this is the wrong area to post this please let me know i will delete and move to appropriate area
Update :
When I get home from work this morning I was looking at my right ramp and noticed that my ramp is actually broke on both sides. I will need to replace the ramp : ( , never had anything to compare it to. can I go with an LE ramp so I wont have to drill holes?

1. My machine doesn't do that. Try cleaning the disk for starters. This works well for me: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2651
2. Novus 2 actually worked very well for me on this.
3. I had very good luck with Turtle Wax Ice where other waxes have failed for the unique grime coming from the spinning disc: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp?tq=wax&tu#post-3000838

I find it interesting that Tron has some unique grime-protection needs.

#5708 3 years ago

I am able to backhand the left ramp from the left flipper, but not consistently.

High scores:
Service -> Util -> Reset -> HSTD and Service -> Util Reset -> GC

#5725 3 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

well i'm about to join the grid landed a nice tron pro in trade. Can anyone tell me about sound mods ?

There's another music remix here (not mine): https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-le-music-remix-video-made-with-pinball-browser

Obviously, I'm biased as to which one is better (mine: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress
), but how awesome is it that Tron has two remixes to choose from?

3 weeks later
#5785 3 years ago

Tron Legacy still relevant after all these years:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/1160425106619/chevrolet-introduces-tron-inspired-cruze-concept-at

1510124627955870630_(resized).jpg

#5802 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Has anyone experimented with different springs on the shooter rod to make it easier to hit Gem?

It might take the fun out of it, but I suppose it is possible to experiment with softer springs until a full-plunge has a decent chance of hitting Gem.

From Pinball Life:
Spring tension from lowest to highest:
Blue (266-5001-05)
Green (266-5001-04)
Standard (10-148-1)
Orange (266-5001-07)
Purple (266-5001)
Red (10-148-2)

1 week later
#5863 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I like the loop going right to the upper flipper on the launch but not sure if disabling that causes any issues with scoring etc. any comments/pieces of advice are welcome

Hold the left flipper button while plunging and the up-post is disabled. Hit the side ramp and score a skill shot award.

1 week later
#5944 3 years ago

Regarding rubber colors, this might help:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tron-flipper-bats

2 weeks later
#6030 3 years ago

I'm not sure which LED you used. I also went through that error whereby I used high quality 2 SMD frosted bulbs, which washed out the Eli lights. The solution I found was to use the cheapest white LED I could find. The link below worked for me. I picked frosted whites, which turned out to have a slightly blue tint. A dim bluish LED would normally be considered low quality but is a perfect fit for Tron.

http://www.cometpinball.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=1RETROLED:

1 week later
#6078 3 years ago

That person may not be a pinhead, but he knows someone who is or purchased it from someone who is. There's no way an average person would even know about Eli ramp lights, never mind how such a person would know about the leg/shooter light mod, lit target bank mod, or Flynn's sign.

Nevertheless,
jawdrop-smiley-face.gif

#6085 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

So, what do you guys do to keep the subwoofer & shaker motor from rattling your Tron glass silly?

http://flipperfidelity.com/sound/anti-rattle-tape.html

#6094 3 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

any tron-masters knwo where I can go to get directions on mounting and powering the hallmark cycles? I got one in yesterday and the other is in transit. i could figure it out but I dont want to have to think for a few days so cheating is a better option right now.

Use this information to open up the hallmark ornaments and short the power button so that it stays on:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-hallmark-light-cycle-tear-down-pictures-to-investigate-led-replacement

After that its just a matter of soldering some wires to the battery compartment and run them to the accessory connector at the front of the machine (make sure you get the polarity correct):
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1802

You can get some ideas for mounting the cycle here (I use hot glue):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wiring-up-hallmark-tron-light-cycles

#6101 3 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Is this a foamy tape?

No. It is a bit like Scotch tape (translucent, basically firm), but thicker. Most foam tape is much thicker than this anti-rattle tape.

1 week later
#6186 3 years ago

Wow, I didn't think those Flynn signs would ever come back. Everybody get one before he changes his mind.

#6202 3 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a set of menu/hardware adjustments that better balances the modes.

For example, Flynn, "TRON" and "ZUSE" seem a bit too easy - I never do those modes on purpose, yet they get completed without me trying.

#6242 3 years ago

A set of alligator clips clipped to the cabinet speaker and thin speaker wire will work just as well if the sub has speaker level inputs.

2 weeks later
#6292 3 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Guys I need HELP: My yellow hallmark lightcycle started flashing a few days ago. Blue is staying lit solid. Any tips to make it stop flashing or should I just embrace it?

Lightcycle setups vary so widely. I assume both lightcycles are wired to the same connector, in which case it is likely something in the lightcycle. Things to check:
1) I assume someone soldered wires to the battery terminals. Perhaps this came loose.
2) I assume someone soldered or otherwise glued the power button (the disc on the back of the rider). Perhaps this came loose. Press down hard on the button and see if the flickering goes away.

#6312 3 years ago

That has never happened with my Pinbits Eli ramps. Blue is the default color when no modes are active.

#6335 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I love my ACDC, but I know I have no chance of ever seeing the wizard mode. Same with WOZ, GOT, and even IJ.

Tron seems like such an outlier among modern Stern machines in this way. Every machine of similar age (or newer) has an almost impossible depth for mere mortals on standard settings. It's as if the final wizard in Wizard of Oz was created for 5 people in the whole world.

#6355 3 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

If anyone tries out my fix please report your result here.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the noise. In fact, I wonder if it is possible to make it louder and make the whole house shake.

#6360 3 years ago

20160729_175432_(resized).jpg

I'm not sure what happened. The last time I checked my score, it was 41 million and I had managed to complete all modes on the first try except Zuse and Disc Multiball, which I had not started yet. I then completed Zuse and Disc on the first try, thereby going straight to Portal. I only played for approximately 30-45 seconds on Portal before draining to one ball, after which I played totally lame, but then suddenly found my score to be shy of 200 million. So somehow Zuse, Disc, possible a Tron timer, and my brief time in Portal netted more than 150 million.

Standard settings except that replay was set to extra ball, and I earned the extra ball through sufficient ramp shots, resulting in 5 balls played in total.

What a rush.

#6366 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

50 million if you go straight to portal before SOS. 100 million if you have double scoring running when you hit the scoop for portal

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll probably never do it again.

My next game was 6 million. Argh.

#6382 3 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have almost all the sound loops ready but I am not able to import them using pinball browser because I don't have a licensed version of program ...
Is there anyone here who have a licensed of copy pinball browser who can import the files for me?
The bin file will later be shared to all.

I can help import sound files. However, the single most difficult part is making the sound loop the *EXACT* same length as the existing sound loop in the current file. (For example, Light Cycle Multiball loop must be exactly 38.942 seconds or it will not loop correctly.) Have you done that?

#6384 3 years ago

I believe your effort will be the third or fourth attempt to remake the entire soundtrack. I'm very curious to hear your version. We'll have to summarize all the efforts here.

Name one other machine that has received this much music remixing love.

#6389 3 years ago

oga83 will actually accept any reasonable donation for a license. $20 is a suggestion. Personally, I think the $20 (€20 for you) is well worth the flexibility that the tool offers.

1 week later
#6422 3 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Okay, so I'm finally done with my dubstep remix for Tron.

You should post this in a separate thread so that it gets the attention that it deserves. Your post here will quickly get buried in Bourbon.

1 week later
#6450 3 years ago

For those just tuning in, Tron now has three music remixes to choose from. Bask in the awesomeness that we now need a directory of Tron music remixes:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-there-are-now-3-music-remixes-poll

5 months later
#6718 2 years ago

gorillabiscuits I was the owner before the person you are buying it from.

If he kept the soundtrack intact, the sound modification (and the apron cards) are from here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-music-replacement-work-in-progress

#6720 2 years ago

gorillabiscuits check the user name of the author Let me know if you want any more alternatives.

Each of the four previous owners added mods. Time to add your touch to the history of this machine.

#6722 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I don't think there's anything left after that!

ColorDMD

2 weeks later
#6738 2 years ago

gorillabiscuits That high score of 203,614,840 by "DADDY" is mine. I had one heck of a lucky game where I skipped Sea of Simulation and went straight to Portal with double scoring active, netting a huge bonus. I wish I could call it skill, but I didn't even realize that I had double scoring active.

I'm surprised that neither you nor asylum has reset it. The only thing that is not at default settings is that an extra ball is awarded at a fixed 15M (and is not boosted). Now you have a goal.

#6739 2 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Not sure how to monitor temps, but considering your board is retired I want to be super careful.

I used the "medium" fuse rather than the "high" or "low" current fuse (I no longer remember the exact values). Thus, although your are likely to be OK (and are protected by the fuse), I would have less confidence than if it had the "low" current fuse.

2 weeks later
#6766 2 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Funny thing when you alter something like that you just play better.

If you like electronic music, there's an incredibly large amount of tracks that are suitable replacements for the stock music, making for a variety of remixes that can make the machine feel fresh:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-there-are-now-3-music-remixes-poll

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nosro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside