(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,262 posts
  • 468 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 395 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(556 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,254 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5557 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5556 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5554 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5548 (resized).jpeg
A60145C3-9132-4708-AE36-D7570E45B8CA (resized).jpeg
20190801_215929 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2436 (resized).jpeg
TRON Wall.jpg
Image 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from bangerjay:

White Tron standing by.

All of a sudden my Tron feels... Gulp... Inadequate. That is just bonkers.

8 months later
#1830 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

checked my tron last night. i had 1200 games on it. how's that compare to others?

I think that is right about where mine is. And mine is just about ready for a shop job. I've got Eli's ramp kit, the dress up kit, new rubber, a few other smaller mods. But having trouble finding the black side armor in stock. I like the feel of that better than just the Mylar cab protection. Two years into owning the game and I still like it as much as the day I pulled it out of the box. I've never even thought about moving it.

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I think that is right about where mine is. And mine is just about ready for a shop job. I've got Eli's ramp kit, the dress up kit, new rubber, a few other smaller mods. But having trouble finding the black side armor in stock. I like the feel of that better than just the Mylar cab protection. Two years into owning the game and I still like it as much as the day I pulled it out of the box. I've never even thought about moving it.

The Flankster sent me to Terry, who of course had the armor I wanted. Ordered and on their way! Thanks Flank!

#1901 5 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

lookin' at sam and quorra all i see is WHITE

Tron_Legacy_Wallpaper-3.jpg 72 KB

Lookin' at Sam and Quorra all I see is... Quorra.

3 weeks later
#2142 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

OK - I've spent a few days researching pins. I've narrowed it down to two I think I'd enjoy having along with my TRON. I did look into JM, but I was worried that the glove slowed the game down.
Having said that, I have two games that I'm considering.
RBION and BSD. JM is still a contender since I like what I've seen (outside of the pacing associated with the glove...). Any opinions on which game will pair nicely with TRON?

BSD next to a Tron? Nah

image-407.jpg

I had LOTR next to it for a long time, and that was a great combo.

3 weeks later
#2265 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I just noticed that thread. Just voted for Tron

I'm not allowed to vote. I love them both! It would be like asking me which kid I like better... Actually it is tougher than that

3 months later
#2491 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Tron is 1000x better with an external subwoofer hooked up. That is all.

All around it is a great addition. But the start of Lightcycle, just wow. There is so much low frequency sound that is just missing if you are only using the stock speakers. Just that startup makes putting a sub on the game worth it.

2 weeks later
#2540 5 years ago

I'm still ticked off at my Tron from last night. Everything solid but LC, and on the second ball! Failed on LC in SOS, one ball left to just do it. And my fast flowy Tron turned into a brickfest. I couldn't hit the left orbit to save my life. I probably had 10 tries at it on the last ball, but all I could hit was the end of the third flipper or the Z target. I could practically see the white Portal insert finally lighting up again... And then it was all gone. I swear if I didn't love the game so much I would have flipped it over.

Oh, and to the first run question, all runs are good on Tron. The translite is a preference thing (I have both chicks and 3d that I switch out once in a while). Both paint and decals are fine. It's a game you can mod or keep stock, but most mod them. It's all about the gameplay on this one though. One of the best (and sometimes most frustrating) games ever made.

2 months later
#2846 4 years ago

Grrrrr. FLC mode (F'ing Light Cycle) killed me today. First ball and I had everything but FLC lit solid. It was one of those insane games that I played WAY over my skill level. Into SOS with it flashing, and catastrophic results. Ok, I can rescue this... Second ball was poop. Third ball I started FLC two more times. So over the course of the game I had 4 bites at it, and still failed. F this game right now. 140 million points of complete failure.

1 month later
#2982 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Stunning. There are plenty of threads about glare-free glass, so I'm not going to bother with my own version of crappy video or pics, but the deep blue of the Tron PF really lends itself to the PDI treatment. Literally just take your normal glass off, have a look, and that's what it looks like.

Yeah, I went with Invisiglass, and I think it is the best mod out there for Tron. There is just something about the look of the game as it shines through.

5 months later
#3736 4 years ago

I'm sorry. Block your eyes...

Who's a dirty girl...

image.jpg

Bath time!

image.jpg

#3739 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Don't forget you can take the backboard piece off the play field with 4 screws and easy access to that outer loop.
edit---Ah, you took the ramps off, probably easy to get at already....

They had to come out... Eli is coming to town

Pinbits protectors as well, so easiest to yank it all.

Time to change that black rubber disc to a clear one.

I keep going back and forth on that. It gets pretty dizzy now, and I keep hearing the clear makes it insane. I've been to portal once since I unboxed it 4.5 years ago, so I'm not sure in want to make it crazier.

#3746 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

The clear disc is a must do upgrade, Im convinced of it. Don't think twice about doing it.

I knew I should have asked before starting this. That will take a while to get here. So it will probably go into the next round.

And after just laying them into the game to see them with the new LEDs, I really like the look of the Pinbits protectors. I've never really cared for the color of the left one on most machines, but People usually have cool white bulbs. On mine I went with yellow under it, and warm white in the top of the sling. She's gonna look sharp.

#3751 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Dave, I have one spare clear disc, I can send it out to you but I'd need it replaced in the near future. Let me know..... You can put your game back together, just need to pull that motor assembly out from the bottom of the Pf, easy stuff

Centerflank, thanks a bunch for the offer! But I just looked at the mechs there. I had though it all needed to come apart again to do it, but it's a few screws and lights from the bottom. So I'll just order it up and toss it in that way when it gets here. Seriously cool gesture.

And my game looks so much better already. Just getting that first layer of crud off it. I had a really fine dust covering the ramps, so the game really looked crappy. This is a badly needed shop job.

#3783 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

looks like I probably tore my ACL last night, so I'm not going to be answering any questions about the blue disc for a long time.

Bummer! Hope you heal up quick.

#3802 4 years ago

I am officially retiring myself from pinside today. I will still corespond by PM, just no more posting so if you need to get a hold of me please PM me. Thanks.

This kind of post always strikes me as odd. Good for you?

And on topic... I want my Tron back online! I think another night at home should get it back together. I already know she's going to be a lot faster cleaned up and waxed. Amazing how I can miss the game that I'm working on.

#3810 4 years ago

Mmmmmmm. Brand new waxy Tron balls...

image.jpg

#3816 4 years ago

Right back where she belongs. Now I have to admit, I pussed out. I freaked out when I went to drill the ramps, so the ramp lights aren't in yet. I'm going to farm that out to a tech who does amazing work to make sure it isn't a hack job (kick me out of the club if you have to, but I wanted to make sure they look good).

But oh my goodness, it's fast now. It feels like a brand new game. Nice and bright with the new lights, and everything is flying. Time to put some games on it!

image.jpg

#3826 4 years ago

Had it all together, tore it back apart. Step 1, make sure they work...

image.jpg

Check

#3893 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Curious if this is the first time that game the starts with W, round in the middle and ends with Z has been typed in this thread? Was a good run.......

I'd say Al just earned a thread eject... but that's just me.

#3895 4 years ago

Ok, ramp question... (Yup, I'm drilling!). Which one of these is right to hide them better?

Outside:

image.jpg

Or inside:

image.jpg

Help me Flankywan, you're my only hope...

#3899 4 years ago

5 minutes from question to two answers! Thanks guys!

#3900 4 years ago

Definently inside.

Wow, make that three! Thanks!

#3908 4 years ago

Easy there guys... I've got a drill in my hand and apparently I know how to use it...

#3910 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

TRON business is serious! Ill wrestle anyone anytime!
So, did ya drill into your hand at all? Pics!
Finger1.jpg

image.jpg

#3912 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Oh yeah, and my ACL is torn, verified. Awesome.

Very un-awesome. Sorry to hear it.

#3917 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

Did you really drill 2 holes? Only need one and put the lock knuckle on the inside.

Yup, as Centerflank said, on the spots where the ramp flap is really wide, I drilled two. My thought was to have the fiber hug right to the edge of the side of the ramp. I'm trying to be meticulous, but maybe I'm making a mistake. I've just seen some where the fiber gets away from the ramp on corners, or wasn't quite in the spot I thought would look best. I'm about half way done, so time will tell if I made the right choices.

#3918 4 years ago

Honestly, I didn't enjoy installing this mod. I usually love working on my games, but for some reason I found the ramp kit stressful. It's gorgeous, and extremely cool. And from a couple quick test games the integration with the game is rediculous. I just found it a pain to actually get it done. However... Done!

image.jpg

Now I can just go back to enjoying the game

#3925 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Nice! I wrapped up some pin work today as well!
IMG_0627.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg

That has to be the strangest mod of a Tron I have ever seen!

#3927 4 years ago

I was just being a pu$$y earlier because of the work to put it in. This mod is amazing! Once you get a game rocking, wow. And now my Tron finally matches the decor of the room! (Pardon all the crap and tools still out).

image.jpg

#3965 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Sorry for the crappy video quality, but here's an example of what the silicon disc does. Pay attention to the second shot; that's a chunk of the disc that tore loose and flew across the playfiled.
» YouTube video

O M G ! That is just CrAzY!

#3997 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Who wants to install all power balls in their TRON with the clear disc pad and shoot some video for us????? I might make the switch if its even more insane, see if I can get that glass to break!
1 free disc pad to the person who does this! Lets do this TRON Fanboys!

Only if I could play it in a padded room... Because that is f$c&ing cRaZy!

#4055 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Does anyone have a list of all their LEDS they put in their machines....there are so many options that It would be awesome to see what people have done with a complete list. I'm probably the last guy left with an unmodded Tron

I just did mine, but I winged it. I matched the plastic protectors down low (blue on the right, yellow on the left) with a warm white under the left sling (wanted it a speck brighter). Carried blue and orange up the middle, and warm white at the top. Then I swapped out any of the white I could see a bare bulb of to blue or orange. I kept all the inserts as incandescent.

Now I'm sure all that sounds like blasphemy, but I'm strange about lights in my games. I started with cool white, but didn't like the look. Plus my eyes can be very sensitive to the strobing effect of LEDs in inserts. So I went with what I thought looked good... And it's my game

Oh, and Eli's ramp kit. I found it a pain to put in, but WOW. That and a sub are the must haves in Tron.

1 week later
#4146 4 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I guess I chose quantity over substance LOL.

I bought Eli's kit, and didn't install it for over a year due to a combination of laziness and busyness. I just put it in recently... And the result of that is OMFG AMAZING! I did that, the Pinbits protectors, white rubber, and LED of the GI. I cannot explain how amazing the ramp mod is. The light show on my game is amazing now. Eli created the coolest mod in all of pinball. Get it and go through the pain in the butt of putting it in. Totally amazing.

#4154 4 years ago

Ok, I played a bunch of Tron last night. And I really want to know... Where the heck is my ColorDMD for Tron? It is in the plans, but I really want it now. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? I want a ColorDMD in Tron and I want it now

#4159 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I agree, the hand positioning is weird.

And yet, I'd still welcome her into my gameroom and grab her a beer from the fridge. Go figure.

#4180 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, I played a bunch of Tron last night. And I really want to know... Where the heck is my ColorDMD for Tron? It is in the plans, but I really want it now. Are we there yet? Are we there yet? I want a ColorDMD in Tron and I want it now

And a code update. I know, I'm asking for them to do more on one of their best games. The center disc count bothers me. In reality maybe it's 3 seconds, but it feels like 20 seconds before they show the count of the hits. They just show this graphic from the movie in the disc battle, and finally, the count for the number of shots left. Just display the count graphic. I need information to win this war, not graphics.

#4205 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Not to start a debate, but would stern really buy a license again to rerun a pin that was a popular theme almost 5 years ago?

I don't know, let me ask the Iron Man VE in my game room...

IMVE said yes

1 week later
#4254 4 years ago

F YOU EFFING LIGHT CYCLE! Damnit!

#4266 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

It was good not great

The game makes it a better movie. I always like to own the movie itself for any movie themed pins I own. It is fun to watch it later and find the exact context of all the callouts.

#4286 4 years ago

I used to think it would be worth it, but now I'm sticking with my Pro. That isn't a knock against the LE, I just like the one I have.

1 week later
#4330 3 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I don't think they play anything alike though, Ive always been able to really immerse myself into the gameplay of both and never thought they had any real similarities once your fingers are on the flipper buttons. I do like that both have reasonably "easy" modes to progress through to get to mini-wizard modes.

Well said. I love both of them. Which one I play depends totally on my mood.

2 weeks later
#4445 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sheesh....how can TRON be getting slayed by both MET and AC/DC!!!......I call pinball envy...

All 3 of them are great games. It isn't like it's losing to Striker Extreme or anything.

2 months later
#4693 3 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Greetings! Best place to buy a Blue DMD for Tron?

Oh I'd wait for the Color DMD. The blue is nice, but I think the color will stomp it when it comes out.

#4700 3 years ago

I finished Light Cycle! Yeah, lighting it solid is so rare that I'm posting about it!!!

(Ignore the fact that the grace period is longer than I thought because I had already lost a ball, it was solid!)

4 weeks later
#4746 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

This needs to be the next VE as it is very similar to how IM was. Ridiculous prices that need to be brought back in check, i.e, there is more demand than there is supply.

I hope they do. I have a friend looking for one and the prices went up much higher than I thought they had. I could sell him mine, but I'm not THAT good of a friend

1 month later
#5022 3 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Anyone who wants to thank me for coloring tron could send me their LED-DMD that i could build a Run-DMD with it
There will be a livestream Mon or Tues (more details to come) and video should be out later this week.

Are you the one that did it? If so THANK YOU!!! Finally! I'm not happy about dropping another 400 bucks into Tron, and I can't wait to drop another 400 bucks I to my Tron! Crazy happy at this news!

1 month later
#5723 3 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

well i'm about to join the grid landed a nice tron pro in trade. Can anyone tell me about sound mods ?

And get a subwoofer attached to it. The beginning of light cycle requires it.

2 months later
#6207 3 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

still damn hard for me to make it to Portal. (in fact, I have only gotten it lit once.)

I've only started Portal once. I agree, things are hard enough in Tron. If Zeus feels to easy, regap the switches on the standup targets so only a direct hard hit triggers it.

To me the magic of Tron is in the different levels of modes. Sure, some are easy, but others keep you trying. If I concentrate on one, I might finish it, but I won't finish them all. That makes it the perfect dimension of depth for the structure of the game. I can do all the pieces, but not in the same game. So I always feel like I can make it to Portal, even though I have only done it once in 4.5 years. Good stuff.

1 week later
#6247 3 years ago

As an homage to Flank, I tore Tron's heart out. We should all do the same until his return:

image_(resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#6336 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Tron seems like such an outlier among modern Stern machines in this way. Every machine of similar age (or newer) has an almost impossible depth for mere mortals on standard settings. It's as if the final wizard in Wizard of Oz was created for 5 people in the whole world.

It's because in Tron you can do every individual task required to get to the wizard mode during any game. I can even finish Light Cycle if I concentrate on it and play well. But if I do that I won't finish others. That is the magic of this game. I can do all the parts, but I can't do them all in one game. It makes me feel like I always have a chance.

As for WOZ, there were diamonds that I never collected in two years of owning it. Even when I just focused on those I had no chance to finish them. So I 100% agree that the wizard mode (SOTR) is for about 5 people in the world.

#6374 3 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

(This is the missing callouts on the Pro, correct?)

Correct.

#6376 3 years ago

I recall that thread. I'd like for Stern to update it with those callouts, and I'd LOVE for an update to show me how many disc shots are left. Waiting the 3 seconds after making a shot to say how many are left is nuts... But I'm also realistic. The Tron code and the entire game are amazing. If it never updated, I'm not going to complain to Stern. I'm sure Lyman already knows about it, and if he ever graced us with an update, I'd be jumping up and down happy (the first time I heard the calls on an LE I was surprised). But that is just writing on top of yummy frosting on top of a great cupcake. Tron rocks just as it sits.

3 weeks later
#6463 3 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

I am still in the honeymoon phase with Tron

Me too! It's the best 4.5 year long honeymoon I've ever been on!

2 weeks later
#6499 3 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

anyone heard from leftofcenterflank?

Her yeast infection hasn't quite healed. Get back in here ya pussy.

2 months later
#6628 2 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I just purchased my first sub, the Polk, and connected it to Tron. Omg, what a difference. The game has changed, son of Flynn.
I am completely deaf in my left ear and this sub has helped tremendously. I think it just went up to the top of the list for mods, along with color dmd and pdi.

It should be a required mod on Tron. Just for the opening sound of Light Cycle alone.

1 week later
#6643 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You have to qualify the mode the real way... no sos on second time around

Quoted from gweempose:

You only get one shot at SoS. Once it ends, any remaining modes that still are not lit solid must be completed the normal way. This is what makes Portal so difficult to reach.

Or return to SOS by qualifying and starting all the multiballs again, even the ones that are completed. So LC had been restarted, they needed to start disc, and Quorra again, and then SOS would be qualified for the second time at the scoop. No easy task, but that's how it really works.

The important part there is that all the multiballs need to be restarted even if they are lit steady on the tree. That's how you qualify SOS the second time. In his case, he had everything solid. Of course along with the multiballs, you need to restart any other incomplete modes.

2 months later
#6748 2 years ago

Did you ever do a mod to a game and say to yourself "why the Hell didn't I do that years ago?"

I wasn't wild about the colorDMD in Tron. In some games I adore it, but it never seemed worth it in Tron. So I still had the original plasma display. I just swapped it out for an Xpin blue DMD, and I just LOVE it. I think it looks fantastic!

IMG_1063 (resized).JPG

I do need to adjust the angle of the shield because it reflects the playfield spotlights back to the player, but just wow.

#6754 2 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I totally agree with you on the colordmd not working on tron when it's the LED version. Colors don't pop and it's washed out. But,
I will tell you, I installed the colordmd LED version and you should see the colors pop now. Night and day! Check that out when you can. My friend saw it and ordered it the next day!

Confused. You say the LED is better than the LED?

#6761 2 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Yes. ColorDMD "LED" is better than the Blue LED. The colors are bright and vibrant which makes Tron stand out more than the LCD style
colordmd

Ahhhh, got it. I've only seen the LCD in Tron. The one game (CV) I've seen with the colorDMD LED, I didn't care for. To my eyes it almost looked out of focus, so I didn't consider it in my Tron. That is something I'd need to see in someone else's Tron in real life before cracking open the wallet.

1 month later
#6837 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I sold my LOTR to get one. Now I'm like, "LOTR? I never owned an LOTR." How fast I forgot that machine once I played Tron...

I kept both. They pluck different chords for me. Both keepers.

#6845 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I had a 45 minute game on POTC tonight as well. That might be next. Pinball should be a quick in and out - you shouldn't have to clear your schedule to play a game.

I've probably had 3 games over 30 minutes in my life. If a game starts playing too long, I usually tweak the setup a bit. Outlanes first, then pitch (up or down), sleeves on the posts to make shots tighter, and finally rubber to be bouncier and a bit less predictable if you flail.

#6851 2 years ago

Speaking of Tron, jeepers. Had one of those game where the first ball was pure magic. Finished disc, finished Gem, Finished Zeus. I had LC, Quorra, and CLU ready to start. I'm thinking this is it, my return to Portal because I'm on fire! Well we all know where this story is going. I swear this game was put on this earth just to torment me.

3 months later
#7055 2 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Can anyone confirm what sort of rubbers they have on their game please guys?? I have what look like clear(white) ones on most of my posts, slings and the like and feel they actually increase the brutality of this game!
They bounce around a lot compared to my other games which have the standard black rubbers. It almost feels like it's increasing the drains as well.
Loving this game but feel the rubbers are really affecting the way it plays. Thoughts??

I switched to white rubber when I cleaned it and installed the ramp light kit. I've been happy with it. White rubber is always bouncier than black. But black lasts longer and doesn't show the dirt. In a home environment they should get cleaned enough that it isn't an issue, so really it's a preference.

#7059 2 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

The best improvement I did for Tron gameplay was to center the bubble for incline. I had it cranked up in the back and the shots just didn't make sense.

Seeing those levels can be slightly different game to game, do you have an exact incline you run at? I'm always interested and compare pitch game to game because I feel every game has a "right" pitch where it plays like a bitch and feels great.

3 weeks later
#7124 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I don't often like the idea of movie spin off's but I would have sat an watched a Gem spin off

I'd watch Gem spin on anything...

#7140 2 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Hi everyone. I'm way late to the game but I'm finally picking up in amazing condition Tron. It's the pro model and factory so looking for any first thing to do advice. I.e. Any updates I need to ensure I get or things to look out for. Also if anyone has advice or extra mods I should add that are relatively inexpensive at this moment please lmk through pm. As you all know if I got this I've already spent a pretty dime let me put some days together before I tell my wife I'm buying $300 lighted cycles or something. Thanks
Jimmy

Hi Jimmy, welcome to the club.

Eli's ramps are the best mod you can put in your game. Hands down.

However, if you are trying to budget it out, Pinbits protectors, and specific colored LEDs in the GI. If you do LEDs in the inserts you also need to add the OCD board (you MUST), so just doing the GI adds a nice color without the extra expense. The colored protectors from Pinbits give nice accents. Toss in mirror blades if you have the spare cash and call it a day until you can get the ramp lights.

1 week later
#7179 2 years ago

Start at the usual spots. Grab a meter and check the voltage coming into the DMD. However I suspect they are correct, but it's the first spot.

After that, one strange thing about Stern games... when the display gets nuts, it can cause a bunch of odd problems like this (not booting). If you have another stern of the same generation, grab the whole DMD, display board, and cable, and slap it into Tron. If that works, swap back one part at a time. Pay very close attention to the actual shape of the ribbon connectors (you will probably have to remove some hot snot to get them off). If any of those pins are discolored, that is likely your issue. Same thing if swapping back all the parts works, it was connection of the ribbon cables, replace them.

3 weeks later
#7231 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok thanks for the advice.. man my Tron requires more servicing than any of my other pins. Weird.

That is weird. I've had mine for over 5 years, and the only servicing has been cleaning, a few bulbs, and the E target in Zeus. Other than that I've just installed mods. Oh, and played the snot out of it

Though I think there is service coming up because my shaker has started to squeak. So that will need a look soon.

#7235 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Im beginning to think my shaker motor is just too violent

Which shaker is in there? I really like the Stern one in my Tron and it was perfect. I put the Cointaker Red Tremor in my Iron Man and thought it was MUCH to violent.

3 weeks later
#7308 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

AFter the new update, Star Wars is like 100 times better. But that asteroid field part gets annoying and I still haven' blown up that damn death star! Its freaking hard!

centerflank would have never allowed this kind of discussion in this thread. It's spelled "Portal".

#7320 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Could have themed the whole game around her and I'm sure most of us would have still brought it, Sterns fastest selling LE

I tend to lean towards Mary Anne... Oh, I mean Quorra.

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Omg relax. This forum is for people who love pinball not hitlers.. thanks

I was pointing out that I miss our glorious OP in this thread. This forum is for people who love pinball, but this thread is for TRON!!!!

As for Godwin's law... you lose.

#7322 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

yeah sorry man, next time your in Michigan drop by for a beer

No worries. Same goes for you in Massachusetts.

#7328 1 year ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

What did happen to Centerflank?

He flew too close to the sun, and his wings melted.

1 week later
#7363 1 year ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Newbie to tron Question that I may be verbally flogged for but here goes: I recently got a tron and of course playing like crazy. I’ve gotten to the SOS a few times, but I haven’t noticed anything lit telling me it’s ready, just hit the scoop when I have all 9 lit. Is there something that tells you SOS is ready vs portal? Thanks.

There is a flasher under the Flynn's plastic near the scoop that will be flashing to let you know to hit the scoop.

IMG_5176 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#7405 1 year ago
Quoted from Whitenoise3000:

Right flipper is acting strangely. I hold the button to catch the ball but it deflects down and then retriggers. See images. Suggestions?

Well that's usually the EOS switch. The flipper comes down enough to change the state of the EOS, and it engages the full power of the flipper. However I didn't think Tron used the EOS. But it's the first thing I'd check. Is it opening to late.

2 months later
#7476 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yes, the crowd cheering always sounded out of place

Isn't that what happened in the movie after Castor calls it out? The crowd cheers the drinks.

#7484 1 year ago

To expand on that, SoS is a "one Ball" sub-wizard mode that will take you through the modes that you haven't completed, one at a time, starting at the bottom.

You need to complete the shots for the mode you are in. As you complete each one, you get its bonus points. If you complete them all, Portal will start flashing and you hit the scoop to start it.

Obviously the completions in SOS are different that standard play. There are no multiball, therefore no multiball rules.

If you dump out, you keep your completions. However, anything you qualified before SOS without completing goes dark and you start from scratch on those ones.

SoS can be restarted by qualifying everything so it's at least flashing AND restart all the multiball, even if they are complete.

The best option all around is to be able to skip SoS and finish everything so you go right to Portal with a massive points bonus... but I've never done that one

#7491 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

okay, that's kind of what i was thinking. do the modes you need to complete start up automatically, or do you need to trigger them by standard methods?

I think this question was about SoS. Once you start SoS, modes start automatically from the lowest incomplete one on the ladder. So it awards points for each complete mode, then stops at the first incomplete one and begins playing single ball in that mode. If you complete one, points are awarded and ...

Sorry if this gets specific... then it will award points if the next one is complete, or it will start it.

SoS is really a cleanup mode. It gives you a way to get to the Portal without completing everything in one shot. I used to play the game to just get to SoS. But a few years back I changed that to trying to complete the modes. The thrill of completing Light Cycle is massive. Not because of points, but it is just so hard for me to finish. I've been tangling with Tron in my gameroom for about 6 years now. And it still gives me thrills.

2 months later
#7614 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thinking about getting that LCD OCD thing. Besides getting rid of the strobe effect, what else does it do? Can I get it to work with my RGB topper?

I don't have one in Tron (I left heaters in the inserts). However I have it in a few games, and I love them. It isn't just the strobing and the ghosting, it changes the attack profile of an LED. So it doesn't just blink on and off, it's smoother. Much more like a bulb. So lighting effects that are lost because of the LED, come back with it. Well worth it.

1 month later
#7719 1 year ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

what about blue dmd vs colordmd?

I’m going to disagree with others here. I like the blue DMD better in Tron. I love ColorDMD in some games, but not Tron.

The one thing the blue needed was a polarizing filter. When I first put it in, it was too bright. Then a friend gave me a blue shield with a polarizing filter that he used to have on his Tron. That made it perfect.

2 weeks later
#7879 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You don't need to take them all the way out of the machine. You would have to disconnect the fibres to do that. You just need to move them out of the way.

Just an opinion... he should take them all the way out. Tron is pretty easy to do it on, so it would be a good learning experience. Plus with the ramps still attached by the wires, your more likely to push a ramp out of the way and have the ramp flap drag across the playfield. I think if he’s inexperienced it would be safer to just take them all the way out.

2 weeks later
#7942 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-of-pinball-vote-now

My precious Tron is losing SKB’s poll in there. Get on the grid and get a vote in for the best damn game ever made.

1 week later
#8004 1 year ago

Mine is August of 2011, which was that little squirt run they did at the end of the first run. It has the car. They ran out of the cycles fairly early.

And these are the side graphics I added this morning:

68E821A5-9B69-493A-A23E-35AC001A4A91 (resized).jpeg

I’m not 100% sure how I like them yet, but I wanted to give them a chance.

#8013 1 year ago
Quoted from Meegis:

I have the same sides, but mirrored.
Love em. Really beings out the ramp lighting.

I wasn’t sure how those ones would look, but they look awesome. I figured in the end I’d end up with regular mirror blades, but now I’m not ao sure about that.

1 month later
#8242 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It's Portal for me. Dang thing feels just so close to achieving in almost every game but only happens maybe 10% of the time right now.

You get Portal 10% or the time?? That’s crazy. I’m averaging about 0.0005%.

#8253 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Keep in mind as well while in SOS a shot to the right loop will light the Scoop which when shot advances a SOS shot

In SOS, a shot to the right loop turns on the trough magnet which grabs the ball anywhere on the playfield and pulls it towards the drain. I’ve seen it happen enough to know.

#8262 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

- .-. --- -. / .. ... / - .... . / -... . ... -

Yes it is!

1 month later
#8376 11 months ago
Quoted from koops:

Those ones will only fit on Z U or S targets.
There is a thin version that I used for the "E". The file is named "mk8_slim" which I just uploaded. I'd forgotten to upload it.
Comparison
[quoted image]

Really??? I had never heard of these, and I dropped in to post a pic of my targets I just straightened again. I need to get a set of these! I hate how they change gameplay until I get my lazy butt under the playfield.

Do splints change play at all?

A3B106E5-ABE6-4AC5-A994-51C998D4327C (resized).jpeg

2 months later
#8613 9 months ago

Just give me the call outs for double scores and stuff (I’m not killing my high score table for anything but an official release). And for goodness sake, show me how many hits left towards disc multiball in a usable timeframe. That delay has always bugged me.

However, if those never happen... meh. I adore Tron every time I play it. And here is why. I can do everything in the game, just not all in the same game. I can finish Gem. I can complete disc. And on rare occasions, I even finish FLC (F’ing Light Cycle). But I never do them all in a single game. To me, that adds up to fun. I always think I can do them all, and then things just go bad and I’m slamming the start button again. That’s why I’ve never sold it after almost 7 years of ownership. It always wins, and I always think I can win. That’s the core of a great game to me.

#8618 9 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The one one on the right goes on the left side where the TRON targets and upper flipper are. The middle one goes above the pops by the right spinner. Don't recall the left one though. I think it's somewhere by the right ramp.

The one on the left looks like it used to be one piece. It goes above the top left flipper. Here is a pic of the older one piece unit on my left side.

8517AB56-155F-49A4-83D5-00EFCA559A34 (resized).jpeg

#8620 9 months ago

When needed, the ramps aren’t that bad to take out. However... so the fiber optic cable is held in with small Allen screws in the aluminum blocks. They seem a tiny bit fragile, and the instructions warn to not tighten them too far. So loosen those Allen screws, and the fiber optic should then pull out of the blocks. Then remove the ramp normally pulling the tubes through the playfield. Some people did shrink wrap on them to block light leakage, so make sure it slides through with no restrictions. And finally, be really careful not to bend or crimp the fiber optic in any way. A little kink can cause a bright spot that stands out. So the normal amount of care there.

#8622 9 months ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this community? Thanks again!!

This community has helped me fix more games than I can count. It’s a big circle of life.

4 months later
#8929 4 months ago

Sigh. After more than 7 years, my tasty Tron is under agreement to leave my house. It's a strange feeling. Tron was my first NIB game. And I swore it would never be sold. I need space, but I didn't HAVE to sell it. But after this many years, and this many games played on it, it was time. I'll be sad when it goes out the door. All the swearing and anger at failing to finish Light Cycle multiball. The joy at the code change that let me restart disc multiball so I could finally finish it. All the games I only needed to start Gem for SOS... and couldn't. The uncountable times I couldn't hit the right orbit to finish CLU and then the timer ran out as I switched to the lanes. The amazing difference when I added Eli's ramp lights. The hours perfecting my LED scheme. It's been 7 years of joy to own it. Fortunately the person buying it is a friend of mine, so I will be able to visit it.

As I leave this club, I'd like to thank you all for the fun and joys of sharing a great game.

#8932 4 months ago
Quoted from PeterG:

That should be one hell of a replacement machine to fill those shoes. I do not understand with 23 games in your collection, there was no single one less than Tron. Such a unique machine....luckily these machines are not unobtainable. They do show up. But still what will replace Gemm and Quora?

Of course I have “lesser” games than Tron in my collection. And games that have been here longer. Honestly I wasn’t playing it that much anymore. And importantly, the guy that is going to be the new owner was at my house Saturday as I hosted league. He has played my Tron many times over the years, but this was his first time seeing it since we came to the agreement. And his reaction was to giggle like a school girl. THAT is the kind of reaction Tron should always receive.

Oh, and to your question, I just got an AFM. That was the replacement. I’ve wanted one for a LONG time. The fact that one is already in my game room makes me giggle like a school girl, which happens to also be the correct reaction for AFM too.

#8936 4 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I just swapped my Tron for a nicer one that has clear disc. Am noticing light bleed into the inserts around Quorra lane. Is that normal or something that can be done to solve that issue?

If it’s still a Pro (as listed in your collection), it’s most likely the fiber optics for the light tubes. The tubes come down the ramp and then go under the playfield. They then go into aluminum blocks that contain the LEDs. If the tubes are not covered, they leak light which shine through the inserts.

The fix is pretty easy. The optic goes into the block and is held there snug with a plastic set screw. You will loosen that with an Allen wrench and pull the fiber optic out of the block. Then you will cover the optic from the block to the bottom of the playfield with shrink tube (that you will NOT shrink). Then put the optic back into the block. And now “Hey, this part is IMPORTANT!” You tighten it until it is snug, and that’s it. Once it is gripped and held in, you’re done. Don’t crush the fiber optic in there.

Then just do the other 3 of them. It’s a pretty quick fix. Let me know if you need pictures of it.

#8975 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballMIX:

Have you tried adding an external sub? For SAM machines, it really helps the sound a TON. Also good mixing helps.

It should almost be required. Some games it makes it sound muddy, but on Tron, a sub is awesome. IM as well (you can barely even hear there is a bass line with just the stock speakers on IM).

#8987 4 months ago
Quoted from insx:

I don't know if this was a problem with the LE.

The calls were correct in the LE. It’s just the Pro that has the issue.

#9005 4 months ago

I just ordered a replacement from Pinball Life. Hopefully that cuts down the noise.

2 months later
#9078 69 days ago
Quoted from insx:

I managed to get Portal after having my machine for a few months, then I got it on ball 2 the next day. I've played Portal 3 times now but I haven't managed to complete it. I must say, it's not the most exciting wizard mode ever.

Your game is set up too easy for your skill level. This is always critical in any pinball machine. The game needs to be set up so getting the wizard mode is outside of your normal play level. If you get to it a few times in a couple of days, it’s wrong and the game will get old quickly.

#9081 69 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you for the input. I haven't done anything like that before. Someone else obviously did. Just a bit baffled why they would do it with El wiring instead of the significantly better and interactive, light changing ramp mods.
Again, does anyone know if either of the interactive ramp mods are still being made and sold?

Some people did the EL thing before the ramp kits were available (which was a long time). And a few did it after because it was so much less expensive.

Write to pinbits (http://www.pinbits.com) and ask then if they are ever going to make them again. That was where I bought mine. Maybe there is enough demand to do a run. But they would know.

#9101 66 days ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

i think it's hitting 3 lit shots in rapid succession, or before the Lightcycle inserts reset again.

We call that a combo

LC is all about combos. Don't hit them fast enough, and you start again. As I understood it, there was a 3 shot combo that if you could hit it, would light it solid. But I could never hit it. LC was always my nemesis.

1 week later
#9139 58 days ago

And to help you understand the term "gel",

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_gel

Basically a transparent / semi transparent / translucent colored piece of plastic put over a light to change the color.

2 weeks later
#9188 44 days ago
Quoted from PeterG:

He and pinside did not agree....what is there not to agree? Not trying to dig up drama, but if you just keep it polite and be nice to others there is nothing wrong here. Yes there are some outspoken persons....but just ignore...just like in traffic...move on.

Like a lot of Pinsiders over the years, he kept boiling the frog a bit too long. His ribbing and jokes got a bit harsher, and at some point crossed over to being mean. Then he got mad when people would get upset with it. It has happened to many of the greats here. Then people look back longingly and ignore where the person went off the rails.

But that is just my opinion after seeing this mistake be repeated again and again by people. We should all just go back to "Bill and Ted" and be excellent to each other.

1 week later
#9224 37 days ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Never used a sub before, thinking it’s time with Tron and maybe pick up a second for BSD.

Tron, required.
BSD, no.

In my experience, subs help some games, and in Tron, just the opening of lightcycle is worth owning a sub to get that drop.

But most Williams games sound muddy with one. The sound on BSD is actually pretty poor. Better gear just makes it sound worse. I switched to a Pinsound in my BSD, and that is better. But a sub never helped it. As always, just my opinion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside