(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,262 posts
  • 468 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 395 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(556 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,254 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5562 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5564 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5557 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5556 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5554 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5551 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5545 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5548 (resized).jpeg
A60145C3-9132-4708-AE36-D7570E45B8CA (resized).jpeg
20190801_215929 (resized).jpg
IMG_2437 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2436 (resized).jpeg
TRON Wall.jpg
Image 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1450 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Happy New Year, lovefesters!
Any of you guys have one of those white x-pin DMDs? I have the blue one but have been thinking about swapping it out. Lemme know your thoughts!

Don't have one, but saw Brett showing it at Expo, looked good. It's really impossible to photograph what it looks like with the gel filters on, never looks right, but it looks great that way, so it's pretty cool that you can easily change up the color whenever you want.

Short of a ColorDMD it's the best way to go now IMHO.

#1460 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Does it still have the grid lines?

Yes, it's built with the blocks.

#1488 5 years ago

I was playing Tron last night (at Rarehero's) and I realized that even though I've played it on location and people's houses, I've never actually played a Pro. Nothing but LEs. Good thing Eli busted his mod, it seems like it would be sad without the ramp lights.

simpsons-tron.jpg

1 month later
#1652 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Edit----sorry, the announcement was done in another thread by Aurich, that guy watches Ebay like a Hawk

I'll never tell my sekrit method.

1 month later
#1788 5 years ago

Every blue LED DMD on the market has grid sections as far as I know, if you want to avoid them put a ColorDMD in and set it to blue. Bonus, you can try the blend modes, and it maybe be possible to sync the color to Eli's ramp mod soon.

I picked up my Tron Friday night and I'm loving it. Kicking my ass, got to Sea of Simulation and promptly drained. Got the arcade mod installed, wired up my light cycles, and I'm working on custom LEDing a recognizer, gonna get them all interactive with a Pig 2. Eli ramp mod upacked but I haven't touched the installation yet. Have to stop playing first so I can take off the ramps!

#1792 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

i have xpin in my ToM. don't care for it. maybe they've gotten better over the years.
but, i checked them out at TxPinFest this weekend, and believe I can see the grid spacing. you'd think they'd adjust for that. just a very small manufacturing change.

Even the Stern DMDs have visible grids, though I would say in general they do a better job of keeping them even and tight than the X-Pins I've owned. I think Tron is pretty forgiving though, the kinds of graphics and animations it has hide the smaller alignment issues pretty well.

I wired up a recognizer with 5 LEDs tonight, and used a few pieces of theater gel to add some colors. White LEDs facing down with cool blue gel, a piece of red gel across the bottom front plastic area to make it solid, with an upwar facing red LED behind it, and two warm whites on the sides, facing up too to hit the little domes. I think it came out pretty well, I'll wire it up to be interactive with the Pig 2. I'll document if I like the end result when it's all together.

#1804 5 years ago

Put Eli's ramps on last night. WOOOOOT. Couple places I probably could have got it straighter or something, but f-it, it looks bad ass. Time to figure out how to program this Pig 2.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Cool, thanks. If I don't manage to find one with mods, I'll approach it from that angle.
And thank you for the comments on the X-Men. Really hoping I can get her sold sooner than later so I can work out a deal on a Tron. What's the rule on bumping FS threads? Ha

Maybe shoot a short video of the machine? Always helps RobT move a game!

#1808 5 years ago

Lemme get the light cycles on first, it looks pretty bare without them.

#1817 5 years ago

Doing the mods yourself is half the fun!

#1826 5 years ago

The pegs are total bullshit, only thing I don't like about my Tron Pro. Well that and sliding out Stern playfields blows, but that's just Sterns, my Star Trek Premium with full rails is the same way.

#1835 5 years ago

Starting to come along. LED OCD board should be here tomorrow.

image-645.jpg

#1845 5 years ago

I should start a new thread, but just gonna say this, the LED OCD is bad ass, it's funny how something so subtle can make such a huge difference. Installed it in Tron today and I freaking love it. You really have to see it in person, video doesn't quite capture it.

#1849 5 years ago

Messing with my disc LEDs, this is two UV , one blue, and one red:

https://vine.co/v/MiBat0IbjmU

Too bad Vines don't embed.

Quoted from retired_user_101:

is there a link to it online for sale ?

Sold out right now, you can get on the waiting list: http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2&zenid=pj3kj6hctkucejc92iomnekfc5

I just snagged the last one from Comet.

Quoted from BillySastard:

What does it enhance on Tron? What are we missing out on with LED's installed? I tried watching the led OCD vid but couldn't see any difference.

It makes your inserts with LEDs fade on and off, instead of just sharp full on / full off. So it's more like an incandescent. It's subtle, but it also really makes a huge difference. The lights feels softer and flowy, the animations pulse instead of flash, the attract mode shifts through the inserts smoothly. Tron uses a lot of flashing lights during play, so you really get the benefit from it during gameplay, not just the smoother attract mode.

Trust me, it's a small thing, and yet I already couldn't go back. Video does show it a little, but it's way more impactful in person.

#1857 5 years ago

So how does the TRON logo work on the Hooked caps? It's a decal? I like the caps, but honestly I don't like the logo, I don't want to see the text 3 times, would have rather it was an abstract design that was more identity disc like. If you leave off the decal I assume it's just a big colored center.

#1859 5 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

Its just a sticker that you can leave off; it would just be a colored center
A design would be really cool

Hmm, maybe we need someone with a vinyl cutter.

#1862 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also, what are these metal apron/lockdown bar/lockdown receivers you're talking about? Are those special or non-standard on Pros?

The Pros don't come with the 'normal' lockdown bar, with the lever, instead it's two latches on either side.

#1865 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Man, I am spoiled with my X-Men LE. I thought these things were standard, ha.

They are on everything but the new Pros, forget when they cheaped out and switched, same time they added the stupid pegs I guess. Premiums and up are still the old style. Honestly I dunno that I care all that much.

#1871 5 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Is there consensus on whether to go with the Stern Blue dmd or the color dmd?

I hate blue LEDs, looking at them sucks, so ColorDMD all the way here. Especially now that they added the color changing options, in theory someone could figure out how to sync it to Eli's ramp colors.

#1872 5 years ago

Amendment: The love I feel for blue LEDs is opposite love. HAPPY NOW MFER?

#1917 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Dumb question, but is the final rub of NIB Trons considered the better of the production runs? The one I intend to pick up was the most recent one.

The toys on the ramp suck on the last run, but who cares, you're gonna Hallmark cycle them anyways. Some people are gonna say "screened cabinets are the best!" but IMHO the later decals ones are way nicer. The print quality is night and day better, hugely better. In a home environment there's absolutely no issues with decals, so to me they're the better choice.

#1921 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

- Light cycles (do people sell these prelit?)

It's incredibly easy to wire them yourself, save your money for other mods and get then bone stock.

#1936 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

ST is a combo-sensation though..they both have their own elements

One thing I really hope the new code does is provide more feedback for combos, right now you'd hardly know you were making them, even though they're practically the focal point of the rules.

#1967 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

the guy selling it is sending me the Hallmark Lightcycles, he just never installed/wired them (is there a link to a tutorial on this? Always on is fine for me).

This is the thread you want:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wiring-up-hallmark-tron-light-cycles

It's really quite easy.

1 week later
#2075 5 years ago
Quoted from ignusfast:

Is the waiting list just the "Notify Me" on their site, or is there something else?
Edit: Referring to the GI OCD board, of course.

You don't want the GI OCD board just to be super clear, that's for Williams games only. You want the LED OCD.

Tron is a really great game for it since there is so much use of flashing inserts during gameplay, not just the attract mode (which looks great).

#2136 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

BSD, JM, and Tron are all pretty shallow. Go with the deepest pin of that bunch: RBION.

I concur. I'm guessing you're picking these to stay in the $3k and under budget land?

RBION is a fun pin, definitely plays a lot differently than Tron (and BSD and JM for that matter). It's Lawlor, with that more quirky stop and go kind of style, but it's hard, good luck spelling all the letters to get to Atlantis. Johnny and Dracula are fast and flowy and pretty brutal, just like Tron. If you want more of the same, just a different flavor, go for it. But personally I'm an advocate of switching it up, give yourself more styles to choose from on any given night when you walk into the game room, depending on your mood.

3 months later
#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Never seen a Met do it, it's the same bloody design....explain that one.

My METLE has done it.

1 week later
#2448 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Lawlor and Ritchie had a good run, but Borg is the new king if you ask me. I see a Metallica in my future.

Metallica is so good, love having it next to my Tron. The Borg/Lyman masterpieces!

#2461 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I had a funny stuck ball issue.

That's happened to me at least a couple times.

3 months later
#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

I put in a ColorDMD & set it to a nice pale blue (wish the blue could go a little darker/richer)

Catching up with this thread, so sorry for the late reply, but you could put a piece of blue theater light gel in front of the DMD. The blacks will stay black, but the blues will go darker and richer depending on which color and transparency level you choose.

2 weeks later
#2838 4 years ago

Someone asked me for my Tron cards in another thread, so might as well put them here. Print at 300 dpi for the right size:

Tron-Cards.jpg

#2842 4 years ago

Here, I'll make it super easy. This is a PDF version, just open it and print. All you have to do is make sure your printer settings are set to 100%, or full size, or don't scale, or some variation on that theme. No messing around with confusing DPI settings or anything.

Tron Cards.pdf

#2844 4 years ago

Here's what they look like installed.

image.jpg

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I printed these out and they really look good--thanks!

Sweet, happy to share.

#2850 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Now the only bummer is the upper images on the apron don't look as good as yours...maybe something to replace these might be in order?

Haha, I know right? Don't think it hasn't occurred to me ...

#2859 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I've thought about doing that--be cool to have a metal apron and flashers--but it is a pricey proposition for a relatively minor upgrade. I'm betting Aurich could come up with something pretty nifty...

The real problem is that Stern just uses really low quality printing for those apron decals. They just don't look good, regardless of the design. Fuzzy and faded, just bleh.

The real baller status would be to make both new decals and new plastics with the same image that would go into the the LE style apron so they could be lit up ...

4 weeks later
3 months later
#3315 4 years ago

The animation in Tron actually holds up surprisingly well. The light cycle battle especially is still awesome to me. Not many computer effects age that well comparatively.

3 weeks later
#3474 4 years ago

I had loaned my Tron out to a friend for a few months, and I have to say, it's really nice having it back. Still kicking my ass on a regular basis, but I just want to come back for more.

#3485 4 years ago
Quoted from thunderking50:

Hey guys
Somewhere i can buy the Girl translite ? Thanks
Tron-Pro-translite-2D-ladies.jpg

Yeah, hit the auctions. They're out there, people got extras, but you gotta hunt. I'm not selling mine, that's for sure!

Though I might take it out and swap in Clu for a little bit, just for a change.

1 week later
#3550 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Math is no friend of mine, but if I have this figured out correctly (we'll see here in a second), can't think of a better place to roll over to 2 mil in karma...

Don't spend it all in one place!

#3581 4 years ago

I thought Tron Legacy was just okay. I like the pin more than I like the movie really. Some great eye candy, but not a whole lot compelling, and after a while I got a little numb to the visuals. I would have liked to see them mix it up a little more, they got really stuck on black/blue/orange for the bulk of the film, and the original Tron has more going on than that.

Still, I own the Blu Ray, it's fun, and the pin alone made it all worth it. Not revisiting it again doesn't really bum me out though, I wouldn't have been excited about a third film, even if I probably would have ended up seeing it anyways.

1 month later
#3897 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ok, ramp question... (Yup, I'm drilling!). Which one of these is right to hide them better?

I can't remember what I did, but I can't honestly see much difference. Once you clip it you've got a lump either way. Remember even the LE does it, just go for it and don't sweat it.

I probably did outside just because it's easier to pull them tight and clip that way.

#3904 4 years ago

I just checked, I definitely did it "outside". I really can't see how it would be different enough the other way. Either way I never think about the ties.

4 months later
#4694 3 years ago
Quoted from FLpinball:

Greetings! Best place to buy a Blue DMD for Tron?

Grab one off someone cheap when the ColorDMD drops?

Edit: Damn you DaveH!

3 years later
#9023 4 months ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I really need a detailed breakdown of what differs between the LE and the Pro, and then I'll know.

If you can both afford and find an LE get it. Can't lose, it's got nice features.

That said, having a modded Pro myself and I've played a lot of LEs and I actually prefer the aftermarket fiber optics on the Pros, they look better when they're off since they're clear and not milky, and I think light a little better.

You basically can't lose, but ramp lights are essential. I wouldn't play the game without them, that's how much they add to the experience.

#9031 4 months ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I thought the pro had ramp lighting without color changing sequencing, and the LE did.

Nah, they're nearly identical. I think there might be some subtle difference for one or two things, but just overall the Pro lights change colors with the modes etc like they're supposed to.

Quoted from BoJo:

I agree and have always said that however people with decals will argue how pixelated the artwork looks on the screened cabs.

I definitely 100% prefer the decals. Some people dig screened cabs, and that's cool, but they're vastly lower print quality otherwise. Super low rez. I'd definitely take the decaled cabs given a choice, but I prefer the high resolution art.

Quoted from PinDoctor82:

My curiosity was peaked by people anticipating a vault edition Tron at some point. I'm not sure what they'd change...or if it's worth waiting to see what makes a vault edition different from the original release. Seems they got things perfect the first time around anyway.
The Tron I played also had what appeared to be an LCD DMD in it and that was awesome...just a random thought that comes to mind.

People have been anticipating it for literally years and years. Who the heck knows, but don't hold your breath. I personally don't see it, they aren't gonna move crazy units because some people on Pinside want one. There's not much media backing for it for general sales. It's a perpetual rumor though for sure.

As for the ColorDMD, that's a must have on any game that's supported imo. I've never owned a DMD game that had support that didn't get one.

1 month later
#9079 66 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Also wondering how difficult or long it takes to install something like that?...

It's a few hours job easy, but it's gonna really depend on how the EL wire was done. To do it right you need to take off both ramps, drill them, and then run the fiber optic with zip ties. Then reinstall the ramps and do the actual light block setup.

If they're drilled already for the EL wire, and drilled properly mind you, with all the spots you need, you'll still need to take things apart, but it will save a little drilling time, and the stress of doing it right, heh.

This is why in that thread about mods adding value or not I listed Tron as an example. The lighted ramps aren't only a must have imo, the game looks broken without them to my eyes, but the install is stress and work, having it done already is a big plus.

#9083 66 days ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thank you. I've sent them an email. Do you remember how much the kits were previously? Trying to figure this out to determine if I should use it in negotiation.

$400ish iirc?

#9088 66 days ago

I just don't see Stern running old DMD games again. In this new market they'll look too dated. And updating for LCD, while certainly possible, seems like more work than a quick "let's run a few hundred of these again" vault is worth.

I think Tron is done. I could certainly be wrong, but on the face of it I don't see it making sense.

#9092 66 days ago
Quoted from rai:

Stern has been making GOT and ST with red DMD displays of late.
but I agree something all new remake (like BM66) would sell more than a red DMD game.

Those are more like games that never truly stopped being made, but I dunno, who can say. Not me. I don't lie awake worrying about Tron VE, what will be will be, if I sell or don't before or after it's just a game.

1 week later
#9135 55 days ago
Quoted from davidlldennis:

Anyone have custom rule cards? Mine are quite faded and I can't seem to find any that I can download and print...

You can use mine if you like: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aurich-free-play-instruction-card-repository#post-4775868

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside