(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,342 posts
  • 477 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by vbittnv
  • Topic is favorited by 144 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 402 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 60 votes
    11%

(564 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,267 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

plastic (resized).jpg
20191125_100130 (resized).jpg
20191125_071829 (resized).jpg
45CA4C72-1E5B-4934-9248-2DA1D4F94079 (resized).jpeg
EC3635BA-C031-4D50-92AA-E6D0A25D8726 (resized).jpeg
DE99EB72-0942-49E3-9985-F790D5A1F569 (resized).jpeg
E6E45E7C-5552-401B-B918-3502BD55C609 (resized).jpeg
tronflipperfuses (resized).jpg
B3A2B4C0-E9EB-4DEF-A6EC-57EE3A255961 (resized).jpeg
20191030_191954 (resized).jpg
20191025_214447 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191016_213037 (resized).jpg
C3274E82-5928-4425-80FC-82E5869342BA (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2438 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5562 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7004 2 years ago

That Blue will look a gazillion times better than that orange.....

6 months later
#7435 2 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

do they usually respond to email, lol? no response yet. i've had bad cs from them before. i may be screwed.

I tried 3 emails to Pinbits after a purchase since the plastic protectors I bought were missing a piece....no response. Pretty sorry customer service if you ask me, and from other posts on here it's not an isolated incident.

3 months later
#7616 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

notice a big difference out of the box or do you have to tune them a decent amount? i like TRON enough i could see a little upgrade.

I have LED OCD on my LOTR, and I've had to do no tuning, worked perfectly out of the box. Great product!!

#7647 1 year ago
Quoted from herg:

I added resistors in series with the existing stock one. That slowed the motor down so that it's still more aggressive than the black disk, but doesn't feel like it's going to break something.

Herg: if you could take a pic of this it and the resistor specs it would be great to have for reference!

#7649 1 year ago
Quoted from herg:

I figured that was coming. Yeah, I'll post one this weekend.

Thanks Herg!!!

3 weeks later
#7707 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I sent pinballcenter a message asking about shipping. Their site says they don't ship to the USA which seems odd as I've bought from them before. It also added $440 to the order at the same time. Will see what they say. I'll order a couple spares if they can help me with shipping, if not, I guess I'm stuck with the black from pinball life. Was really hoping to get a set of the clear as my friend had it on his game back when he still had it and the action from that disc was super fun. I once had a ball come out of the disc, go through the middle of the flippers and spin all the way back up for a Quora shot!

Correct, about a year ago they started to refuse to do business with customers in the USA, and if you try to bypass their USA refusal and still put in a US ship-to address they add the $400+ surcharge. Several threads about this here on Pinside as well as some successful and unsuccessful ways of circumventing their USA ban....

1 week later
#7811 1 year ago

Joined the club, from My Parent's Basement to my basement:

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

#7814 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Noice.
Your parents did a great job modding it!

Thanks.......but My “Parents Basement” is a comic book store in Atlanta that also has 8-10 pins set up on location.

#7863 1 year ago

Question for the collective: my newly acquired TRON came with two translites: 3D and Quorra/Gem. On mine the Quorra/Gem translite seems to be from a much thinner and less rigid material than other translites I have, not counting the 3D TRON which obviously is thicker due to the 3D process. Is this normal for the Quorra/Gem translite??

#7865 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, stock stern translites are thin.

Yeah, but this seems thinner than some other Stern ones I have.....

#7867 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What other ones? It seemed the same thickness as my other stern's but thinner than my older wms/gottlieb translites.

Stern Spider-Man and Avengers are two others I handled recently. Just was wondering if there were any repro Quorra/Gem ones made due to their popularity, although the print quality is on par with other Sterns....

1 week later
#7935 1 year ago

This may be a long shot, but doesn’t hurt to ask: the TRON I purchased a few weeks back came with powder coated orange TRON legacy armor for the legs, hinges, lockbar, and lollipop rails. While it looks good and is in great condition, I prefer the blue version. Is there anyone out there that has the equivalent blue armor and would want to do a swap for my orange armor?? I’ve attached some pics, it is in great condition.....

4578C2D6-127F-410E-83A2-FA78DC73482F (resized).jpeg4BFC90BF-6198-485F-8962-996DE56EB336 (resized).jpeg8F4DFC86-CE1A-4BC2-A96D-F67DEEF0C9DE (resized).jpegE61B8F43-276E-4C51-A52B-6DB9D9851DFB (resized).jpeg
#7937 1 year ago
Quoted from weaverj:

it could grow on you.

....agreed, I don't dislike it at all, just like the blue ones better that I have seen. If someone wants to do a trade so it's basically the cost of shipping for the change I'll do it, however I don't dislike the orange so much to spend on repowdercoating it.........

1 week later
#7955 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Some progress made on my translight. Total cost so far is $40 and about 2 hours in labor soldering the lights up. Tied into 5v on my pig.

Damn.......as much as I love my Quorra & Gem translite you going to make me put in the 3D translite......

#7966 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I would love that, I am able to make something myself but need to know what strip and controller is used for that effect?

A parts list was given in a previous post #7958 by 85vett that shows the LED strip....

#7968 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This is the LED strip I used - amazon.com link »
I wish I could find a source of just the micro controller used in the kit. You only need about a foot of the LED strip so the rest goes to waste without another controller.

Have you checked eBay? search for 2812 LED controller brings up numerous versions......

#7971 1 year ago

For my "keepers" replacing that Fluorescent tube is on the list of to-dos, due to the uneven lighting they have as well as the long-term effects of the UV from the tube causing deterioration of the translite and the plastic connectors in the backbox. 85vett's chasing light strip mod has just accelerated the implementation of tube replacement work on my TRON......

3 weeks later
#8094 1 year ago

As y’all are waiting for your discs to come in, this weekend I finally got to install mine from the previous order and try it out: O....M....G!!! The ball will shoot out of there like it’s possessed!!!! Sometimes it’s screaming towards the flippers, sometimes it has so much spin that it will come out and head back up the Quorra shot!! Amazing how it adds another level of fun and difficulty to an already awesome pin!!

#8101 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

which color are you using?

Got the clear ones........

#8102 1 year ago

About the removal process:

Removing the original black discs took about 45 minutes, it will NOT come off in one piece. I used a chisel blade XActo knife to get the biggest part of it off, then followed up with some mineral spirits on a rag to remove some more of the black rubber. Finally used a fiberglass sanding pen to go over the last of the surface to smooth it out, remove the final remnants of the rubber, and give it a nice surface for the new disc to bond to. I did not use any glue, just the glue that came on the disc, it seemed to have bonded well, and let it rest 24 hours. Others on here had posted about using CA Super Glue to help bond it, so I'll see how well it holds up long term.

#8104 1 year ago
Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

I also used just the adhesive that came with the disk and after a few plays, the rubber flew right off the disk and got jammed up in the disk area. I then used rubber glue adhesive and clamped it over night. The disk works great now with no problems.

Interesting, we'll see how mine does, they may or may not have improved the adhesive. Which rubber glue did you use and how did you apply it?

2 weeks later
#8177 1 year ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Not me. Those are two of my all time favories.

Agreed, love both TRON and TZ.....

1 month later
#8369 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Damn.
I've heard some horror stories about the clear disc But at the same time I really don't want to have to endlessly clean the playfield, and particularly take off the ramps to get to the orbits
Anyone have any videos of gameplay with the clear disc?

The clear disc really is the way to go. Yes, the first 50-100 plays are an adventure, as the clear disc will put some wicked speed and spin on the ball, but then it settles down to be just perfect. Best of all is the ball trails all stop. The clear disc with Titan silicone rubbers keep the game clean and playing fast!

#8389 1 year ago

Oh yeah......finally got a shooter rod deserving to be on my TRON!!!

IMG_6285 (resized).JPG

IMG_6287 (resized).JPG

IMG_6286 (resized).JPG

#8394 1 year ago

Ahhhh......like the candy apple blue so much better than the orange.....Thanks Gio!!

TRON B&A (resized).jpg
#8400 1 year ago
Quoted from Da_Topper:

That is sweet! Where do you get?

Super Skill Shot Shop here on Pinside made it for me....

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1057-super-skill-shot-shop

#8405 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

So... how easy is it to create the herg resistor mod for the motor? I'm assuming it's not something I can buy off the shelf? I'm completely clueless

For someone who knows how to make connectors and has all the parts ready to go: 10 minutes max.

#8408 1 year ago

If anyone is looking to upgrade their TRON armor I have a complete Pinball Refinery Orange set available in the Pinside classifieds, all packed up and ready to go!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/69734

2 months later
#8591 1 year ago

Can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than to take my TRON up to the next level:

Here is what it looks like without the translite:

Here is a before reference pic:

fullsizeoutput_c19 (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
#8730 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Ok so slow goings but it's getting better and better. Having an issue with the hinges. It looks like they previous owner may have glued the mirror blades in. Is there some secret way to get these hinges off without having to take these blades out it does anyone know a good way to take these blades out? Maybe something I'm missing.

Glued on mirror blades?? Ouch....are you sure that there aren't any small screws on the bottom of the blades holding them in place?? If they are glued it may be some two sided tape, but that would get so thick that I don't see how it would fit between the playfield....

Usually the blades do have to come off to take the hinge bolts & nuts off.....What kind of hinge trouble are you having??

#8735 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Double sided tape or glue residue. Either way exacto knife lead me to the idea of a wide flat dry wall scraper and that did the trick no damage. Love you guys haha. I say it allot but this is such a great place.
[quoted image]

Definitely doublesided tape, looks like this stuff:

https://www.staples.com/Scotch-Permanent-Double-Sided-Tape-3-Core-3-4-x-36-Yards/product_130526?cid=PS:GooglePLAs:130526&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=130526&KPID=130526&gclid=CjwKCAiA4OvhBRAjEiwAU2FoJU0tYMNHY5SNJ6qgOylDfDsXo8CooHMDkiKMmglKmbvF3ZFLvzqlKBoCW6oQAvD_BwE&akamai-feo=off

#8741 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyk:

This stuff would work well then?

In a pinch yes, as it is very thin with good holding power. Screws would be my first choice, as they allow easy removal.

#8745 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Ok I'll go with that. There are holes for it. Thanks.

If I remember right they are stainless #4 1/2" buglehead screws

3 months later
#8924 9 months ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

Yep, found thanks. It's the small circuit boards with the infra red LEDs. One board visually looked damaged so replaced it. Also the switch by the shooter rod was damaged so replaced that. Looks like the playfield had been played direct on the cab as my Tron does not have the rails underneath to protect it.

Quoted from insx:

Tron is my first Stern and I did what a lot of new Stern owners seem to do and pulled the playfield off the end of the rail and dropped it into the cab. Fortunately, everything seems to be working still.

Quoted from Durzel:

Welcome to the club.
(The pulling the playfield off the rails club, thinking the resistance you feel is like a B/W pin at the lock position. Terrible design by Stern)

First thing I did to my TRON when I got it last year was install the full support slide rails.....can't stand those posts Stern used for several years!!!

#8942 9 months ago
Quoted from Micky:

I still haven't installed either of my other disc rubbers and have the standard one from factory. I frequently have the ball go up through the gem shot or quorra when it shoots out from the disc. Because of this I haven't bothered to install a clear one yet.

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Same. Saving it for a rainy day in the future.

True, but it’s not just about the speed and spin: the black disc rubber introduces a lot of black dirt into the pin. Removing all black rubber from a pin really helps keep down the dirt and ball trails, which can be a pain to clean under all the ramps.

#8957 8 months ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Pretty sure the Pro and LE's were incandescent under the disc factory. I'm using these in the 89 base on my LE. https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smdflash.htm
I see you are on the other side of the pond though but I'd have to assume their are these same types of bulbs there as well.

Those are the ones installed in my Pro, 2 orange ones on the left, 2 blues on the right. Here’s an underplayfield pic that shows one of them as I was taking a reference pic while working on the disc:

88BA2A41-B3A9-4A82-8554-E48B0A7DC409.jpeg
2 months later
#9109 6 months ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

looks great - would love to add a set to my TRON ... do you have a link or part number by chance?

PBL has a complete kit that I installed on mine, only gotcha is they are on vacation until Monday so they may take a day or two to catch up....

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-playfield-support-slide-bracket-kit-for-sam-machines.html

#9123 6 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

So is Tron incandescent or LED? Or both? Did they switch over to LED at some point? In some pics of the bottom of the Playfield I see bulb holders like they used in LOTR, but then in others I see what appear to be LED boards. Trying to plan a bulb order for the LE I am picking up Saturday. Thx

My Pro and the ones I saw on location were definitely incandescent. Can't speak for LEs.....

#9151 6 months ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Is changing the disc the only solution to black crud being left everywhere?
Looking back through my photos I took the ramps off my Tron (LE) back in August 2018. Nearly a year later and I have another black streak around the back, despite the fact the game barely gets played. I also cleaned and waxed the playfield yesterday and the cloth I used ended up with a black film over most of it. None of my other pins have this problem.
I have a clear disc that I bought a while back that I can fit, but I'm scared to because of stories of violent ejections. I have several mods that are expensive or irreplaceable.
This is what it looked like last year, I'd say it's fairly similar now...
[quoted image]

Short answer is: clear disc, as well as replacing rubber rings/posts with Titan Silicone rings.

Don't be afraid of the clear disc, it calms down to a nice level of havoc within 30-40 plays. I can't now imagine mine without it, as the effect it has on the ball is incredible. I have had it shoot the ball out with such spin to make the Quorra shot, the Gem shot, even the left ramp...which has only happened once and blew my mind!! I love it!!!

#9157 6 months ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Already got clear Titans everywhere. Guess I just have to bite the bullet and try the disc and see how I get on.
Did you strip off the black disc and reuse the plastic disc, or buy a new one?

Stripped it off and reused the plastic disk. Make sure it’s good and clean, and also used a Goop clear adhesive spread out thin to hold the disk in place. The adhesive supplied on the disk itself was not enough to hold it long term.

For other Pinsider’s reference I used these discs:

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-tron-tron-le-spinning-disk-pad-set-p-51.html

#9163 6 months ago

I’ve got a TRON Gem & Quorra Girls translite available for trade, looking to do an even swap for a regular TRON 2D translite just like the one in the picture attached. Please PM if interested. I’m not interested in selling my TRON Girls translite, only looking to trade.

Thanks!

E582F3F8-F368-48D6-8C2D-FA9B53F14B11 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9190 5 months ago
Quoted from vulcan903:

So...just checking. I'm changing the black spinner rubber to white (Pinball Center). The disc when not powered rotates using my finger not smoothly but has 3 bumps as it rotates. Is this usual or should it rotate smoothly? TIA

It feels a bit bumpy when rotating by hand...

1 week later
#9248 5 months ago

I'm a fan of the Blue armor myself.......

TRON Wall.jpg
2 months later
#9285 81 days ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Going to buy a color DMD for my LE, what is the consensus on LED vs LCD for Tron?

Mine came with the LCD version but I swapped to the LED. IMO the LED version looks more TRONish...

#9294 80 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Not 100% clear what you mean.
Do you buy and install a new clear disc and then put no rubber of any kind on it?
Or do you buy the clear rubber from Germany to put on the clear disc?
Thanks

For the disc I used the clear disc.

I also replaced all rubber rings and post rubbers with the translucent (clear) Titan silicone rings.

#9297 80 days ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The clear disc he is talking about is a rubber. I think you two are talking about two different things.
You = The actual replacement disc (the plastic piece that mounts to the motor)
Him = The replacement rubber that goes on the plastic disc that is clear. It's made in Germany but the guy on pinside that did the reverse Star Trek Bally (think his name is Zitt) sells them in the US.
If you run the disc without a rubber it would most likely mess it up as the rubber sits in recessed grooves.

Correct!! I should have been more clear!

...no pun intended....

2 weeks later
#9325 61 days ago
Quoted from herg:

I decided I wanted to improve the neon flickering effect on my Flynn's sign, and I found some time to write the controller code.
It does a flickering effect when turning on, then a pulsating while it stays on.

You going to put this up for sale??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aukraut.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside