IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3026 (resized).png
IMG_3018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
TRON_SpinDisc Mounted (resized).jpg
IMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 233.
#2901 9 years ago

Am I missing some technique or in that video in the video just crazy lucky that the ball doesn't go straight down between the flippers (as happens to me constantly)? Some days I'm lucky to get 1 million points on the first ball much less get the SOS. Any tips that someone can suggest to prevent this?

#2902 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Am I missing some technique or in that video in the video just crazy lucky that the ball doesn't go straight down between the flippers (as happens to me constantly)? Some days I'm lucky to get 1 million points on the first ball much less get the SOS. Any tips that someone can suggest to prevent this?

Nudging and knowing the angles of the table and the sucker shots...oh and lots of practice

#2903 9 years ago

I think I need different flooring under my games as it's gym matting flooring in the basement area which doesn't allow for as much movement. When I played Star Trek at an arcade with carpet, I was literally pushing that thing around with minimal effort.

#2904 9 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on what the best flipper colours would be? I'm about to buy some super bands (orange on left and blue on right) and started thinking about the flippers themselves. I don't think orange would go well with the standard yellow flipper, and started thinking of other colours for them.

Black maybe?

#2905 9 years ago

Packers>TRON>Lamp

#2907 9 years ago

Yes. I would think black with blue, yellow, or orange rubbers ...

#2908 9 years ago
Quoted from Mar:

Anyone have any thoughts on what the best flipper colours would be? I'm about to buy some super bands (orange on left and blue on right) and started thinking about the flippers themselves. I don't think orange would go well with the standard yellow flipper, and started thinking of other colours for them.
Black maybe?

Nope. Metallic blue bats w/ clear rubbers = best Tron flippahs evah!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/56#post-2016502

-Jason

#2909 9 years ago

Williams logo bats on a Stern....oh my what will the purists say on RGP?

Ah they probably say they swing better than Stern bats lol. I do like the clear rubbers more than I thought I would. They tie in well - look like the ramp lighting ropes when not lit (Eli's kit or LE).

#2910 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Drains mostly are determined one or two steps before the actual drain. After enough play, you will recognise which bounces or failed shots then LEAD to a drain and you take steps to remedy the issue at that point. A classic example is the dribble off the right ramp posts in tron. Whenever the ball is aimlessly heading towards those posts, nudge the hell out of it if it touches the post. If it comes to rest there and dribbles off it is almost always then STDM.

#2911 9 years ago

I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out using 3 different colors: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/check-out-my-sexy-tron-le-flippers#post-1327114

#2912 9 years ago

Just bought a HUO Tron and it's sweet! It's super satisfying once you figure out how to hit the gem shot to just nail it from Quorra (hint: you have to hit the ball while it's away from the wall!). I also love how bonus makes such an impact on score, as well as making combos (raising that end of line). The 100 mil shot is probably one of the most satisfying things in pinball, but is also super frustrating because your entire game can be ruined if you screw something up... for example, I had everything completed except clu, but I was screwed because I couldn't start it without starting Sea of Simulation :'(

#2913 9 years ago

Dressed up my pops with http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

Nice product, especially with the teeny pot to adjust the brightness.

I preferred a smooth solid ring of light instead of a bunch of little squares, to match the Tron theme & the identity disc.

So, I gently cracked the bonds to remove the light rings from the bumper caps & pursued lots of different schemes for trying to diffuse the light by putting something between the SMD LEDs & the bumper cap: paper, felt, frosted plastic sheet, etc. etc. None worked really well, because packaging requires putting these items right against the lights.

The best solution I found was actually using Pinball Center's spinning identity disc aftermarket rubbers! They're pretty much a perfect fit. Coincidence?

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/disc-rubber-set-blue-tron-legacy-p-6834.html?language=english
http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/disc-rubber-set-transparent-tron-legacy-p-6216.html?language=english

It's been a little while since I did this mod. I tried various combinations of rubber sheets, but I think that I ended up using 1 layer of the blue rubbers. (I recall that 2 layers diffused the light better but brought the LED PCB down too close to the pop bumper mechanism.)

I also didn't see a reasonable method for centering the center light just right--they're a bit off-center. Oh well.

-Jason

pops1.jpgpops1.jpg pops2.jpgpops2.jpg
#2914 9 years ago

Has anyone bought (or seen in person) one of these blue aprons? Looks like it might be cool, I'm not sure I want to invest in the LE metal upgrade...

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2998

#2915 9 years ago

Did you guys know labnip was into making rap videos in his spare time. It's true, check it out.

#2916 9 years ago

Fancified trough. Ran GI wiring to 2 new 555 sockets that I screwed to the metal barrier attached to the playfield (not the removable apron).

Installed 2 high-power blue spotlights to backlight the flippers & their surroundings.

Awesome.

-Jason

trough1.jpgtrough1.jpg trough2.jpgtrough2.jpg trough3.jpgtrough3.jpg
#2917 9 years ago

When it rains Tron mods, it pours Tron mods. Next up: apron-mounted under-lit light cycles!

My machine had the big Hallmark light cycles on it when I got it. So, I had 1 leftover little light cycle. Years ago, at CCAG 2011 (www.ccagshow.com), I got a little die-cast light cycle that I believe had been packaged with a DVD or Blu-Ray.

These needed to be mounted somewhere. Not near the big ones, not in the way of anything, in a logical fashion, tidily, etc. I chose the apron, above the yellow & blue light cycles on the inlane return plastics.

Step 1: Drill holes for screws.

Step 2: Drill holes in the apron to mount them high & wide, out of the way of line-of-sight & ball travel. I weaseled weld studs through the wheels, from the inside out, & then put washers & nuts on the inside of the apron. This made the exposed fasteners nigh invisible.

Step 3: Underlight! I tapped into the GI for power. I wanted to use some flex stalk LEDs so that I could put the light body inside the apron & snake the LEDs out. I chose Pinball Center's NoFlix Plus because they had 2 LEDs per socket, the wires were long, & the LEDs were small.
http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/t10-noflix-plus-yellow-superflux-p-395.html?language=english
http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/t10-noflix-plus-blue-superflux-p-1439.html?language=english

Unfortunately, the wires weren't long enough--the light didn't show through the cycles, & they couldn't quite reach the wheel holes. So, I desoldered the wires at the LEDs & spliced in more wire length.

Step 4: Routing. I fed the LEDs through the apron, slit a rubber grommet to slide over the wires & to protect them from rubbing the metal apron wall. One in place, I used liberal amounts of hot glue to secure them & to tuck the wires up against the underside of the light cycle for protection from balls.

Step 5: Diffusing. The lights were too bright & shining up in my eyes. I tried several tricks: sanding, PTouch white label, White-Out, spray paint, etc. None of those diffused the light very well. I need something small, plastic, & round. LEGO!

P/N 4073: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=4073. I filed off the LEGO logo, left the top a little rough for diffusion, & superglued one to each LED: transparent blue on the blue cycle, & transparent yellow on the other. These look boss. They even create a series of illuminated concentric rings...very identity disc-ish!

More to come...

Thanks,
-Jason

lc00.jpglc00.jpg lc01.jpglc01.jpg lc02.jpglc02.jpg lc03.jpglc03.jpg lc04.jpglc04.jpg lc05.jpglc05.jpg lc06.jpglc06.jpg lc07.jpglc07.jpg lc08.jpglc08.jpg lc09.jpglc09.jpg lc10.jpglc10.jpg
#2918 9 years ago

I don't think I have posted in this thread but was catching up last night. I love my tron pro. Have had it since Feb '13; never have gotten to portal but have scored @140 million. Play several times a week and never get tired of playing it even in my small collection. I only have a couple mods and no leds so still plenty of stuff to do. Last night, after reviewing several weeks of this thread, I printed and installed Aurich's apron cards and wired in an external powered subwoofer I have had for like a month.

Then about 30 min ago, I go start a game and get to portal on 2nd ball and then almost to sea of simulation a 2nd time on 3rd. I had no idea what to do when I got to portal as I have been holding out watching any videos so I would be surprised was just trying to hit as many shots as possible.

The love fest continues.

IMG_20150112_171209.jpgIMG_20150112_171209.jpg

#2919 9 years ago

I'm a bit partial to these pops....also I am doing a run of chrome aprons early Feb if anyone is interested.
hookedonpinball.com

Chrome all three lit 2.JPGChrome all three lit 2.JPG

#2920 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I'm a bit partial to these pops....also I am doing a run of chrome aprons early Feb if anyone is interested.

Chrome all three lit 2.JPG 114 KB

Price?

#2921 9 years ago

Spent a few hours cleaning and waxing my Tron for the first time yesterday. Also popped in a Cliffy protector on the scoop. Not sure how I did it, but I blew the F10 fuse and didn't have any spares. Thankfully RadioShack had them in stock. Love how fast it is now. Think I've gotta find a 3-D translite. Probably no chance Bay Area will get them back in at $150?

#2922 9 years ago

Pops can be had on my site hookedonpinball.com in both chrome or black $79-99.

The Chrome apron I posted a sign up $218 (US) for chrome apron only or full install kit $310.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tron-le-aprons-chrome-list

Listed US only but QG your a regular so we can do that just contact me.

#2924 9 years ago

Gone. Donated to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-march-of-dimes-arcadepinball-prize-raffle

FS: FLYNN LIVES reversed vinyl apron decals.

The last of the apron posts from me.

The final exciting reason that I switched from my Tron Pro's stock black plastic apron to the black metal apron ( http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2956 ) with blue plastic inserts ( http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2957 ) was to add the extra flashers from Hooked ( http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p8/Tron_Mod_-_LE_Apron_Add-On_Harness.html ).

While they do look nice, they are a bit plain, just light-up blue triangles...

So, I dug up some art, spent a while recreating it in SolidWorks in order to make a DXF for quotes, & sent it out for fabrication. I was worried that the "neon" style font, scaled to fit on the apron insert, wouldn't cut well with its .024" wide lines & .024" gaps. So, I made versions of the art with lines, filled in except for the edges, & block letters.

I made 6 different configurations:
1: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Letters are positive.
2&3: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
4: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Letters are positive.
5&6: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
7: Filled-in block letters. Letters are positive.
8&9: Filled-in block letters. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.

I chose to use 2&3 on mine. It turns out that the thin lines were no problem to manufacture, handle, or install after all, & those are the truest to the original art.

It's tricky to get photos of the brief flashes, so I took a video too:

It's subtle, which is what I was going for. The stickers don't show unless the flashers flash, & that's even rather brief & subliminal.
---

See next post for purchase & inventory info. :]

Thanks,
-Jason

stickers00.jpgstickers00.jpg
stickers08.jpgstickers08.jpg
stickers09.jpgstickers09.jpg
stickers10.jpgstickers10.jpg
stickers11.jpgstickers11.jpg

#2925 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Pops can be had on my site hookedonpinball.com in both chrome or black $79-99.
The Chrome apron I posted a sign up $218 (US) for chrome apron only or full install kit $310.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-tron-le-aprons-chrome-list
Listed US only but QG your a regular so we can do that just contact me.

Sweet, thanks! PM sent!

#2926 9 years ago

Gone. Donated to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2015-march-of-dimes-arcadepinball-prize-raffle

FLYNN LIVES apron decal pricing:

$15 shipped to continental USA for 1 set of your choice.
$17 shipped elsewhere for 1 set of your choice.

PM for price breaks on quantities.

---

Current inventory:

1x 1: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Letters are positive.
0x 2&3: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
2x 4: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Letters are positive.
1x 5&6: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
2x 7: Filled-in block letters. Letters are positive.
2x 8&9: Filled-in block letters. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.

All:
stickers-all.jpgstickers-all.jpg

1:
stickers-1.jpgstickers-1.jpg

2&3:
stickers-2&-3.jpgstickers-2&-3.jpg

4:
stickers-4.jpgstickers-4.jpg

5&6:
stickers-5&-6.jpgstickers-5&-6.jpg

7:
stickers-7.jpgstickers-7.jpg

8&9:
stickers-8&-9.jpgstickers-8&-9.jpg

Thanks,
-Jason

#2927 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

FLYNN LIVES apron decal pricing:
$15 shipped to continental USA for 1 set of your choice.
$17 shipped elsewhere for 1 set of your choice.
PM for price breaks on quantities.
---
Current inventory:
2x 1: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Letters are positive.
1x 2&3: "Neon" font of many skinny individual lines. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
2x 4: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Letters are positive.
2x 5&6: Mostly filled-in letters with "neon" at the edges. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
2x 7: Filled-in block letters. Letters are positive.
2x 8&9: Filled-in block letters. Reverse image: letters are "holes" & the background is art.
Thanks,
-Jason

stickers-all.jpg 169 KB

stickers-1.jpg 276 KB

stickers-4.jpg 170 KB

stickers-2&-3.jpg 168 KB

stickers-5&-6.jpg 159 KB

stickers-7.jpg 174 KB

stickers-8&-9.jpg 143 KB

0071-Shadow Stickers, Apron Tria... 107 KB

0071-Shadow Stickers, Apron Tria... 65 KB

0071-Shadow Stickers, Apron Tria... 61 KB

Only $2 more for out of USA orders, that's pretty darn good.

#2928 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Only $2 more for out of USA orders, that's pretty darn good.

Thanks. Shipping shouldn't cost much for a simple envelope, even shipping abroad. I was just estimating, rather than scientifically measuring & weighing.

Those prices might net me a buck or two at most per set...if you don't count the many hours over work lunches that I spent doing the NRE... :]

-Jason

#2929 9 years ago

Trick on shipping to Canada cheap is thin thin thin envelopes - no tracker though without customs forms. But decals are cheap enough to resend if lost etc.
USPS sucks but thats another thread

#2930 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Trick on shipping to Canada cheap is thin thin thin envelopes - no tracker though without customs forms. But decals are cheap enough to resend if lost etc.
USPS sucks but thats another thread

I've actually never had a problem with USPS. I've received every package sent to me. Now UPS that's a different story

#2931 9 years ago

I've actually never had a problem with USPS. I've received every package sent to me. Now UPS that's a different story

OK I must clarify - USPS sucks because I used to be able to ship overseas using the customs number as a tracker. USPS chose to turn off the customs tracker to any country other than Canada back in July.
So if you want a real tracker number you have to send it registered mail which increase every package by $14 and increases time spend in the post office by about 15 min per package while they "seal all openings". So they could just simply turn on the tracker but they chose not to = suck.

#2932 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

OK I must clarify - USPS sucks because I used to be able to ship overseas using the customs number as a tracker. USPS chose to turn off the customs tracker to any country other than Canada back in July.
So if you want a real tracker number you have to send it registered mail which increase every package by $14 and increases time spend in the post office by about 15 min per package while they "seal all openings". So they could just simply turn on the tracker but they chose not to = suck.

I would prefer cheaper shipping to a tracking number do you really need a tracking number anyway? (I Sent you a PM btw )

#2933 9 years ago

Where can the clear rubber be ordered for Tron and what sizes and how many of each are required to swap out the machine original rubber? I've noticed my black rubber is starting to show wear and if needing replacement will likely go clear.
Also, great apron lightcycle mod by Jason... does anyone know if the original die cast lightcycles that came with the game would work for this?

#2934 9 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Where can the clear rubber be ordered for Tron and what sizes and how many of each are required to swap out the machine original rubber? I've noticed my black rubber is starting to show wear and if needing replacement will likely go clear.
Also, great apron lightcycle mod by Jason... does anyone know if the original die cast lightcycles that came with the game would work for this?

Rubber: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/56#post-2016502

I bought the bucket set: http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/120-premium-rubber-set-transparent-p-6445.html?language=english
You can also buy the Tron kit: http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/tron-legacy-rubber-set-premium-transparent-p-4538.html?language=english
Tron manual, which details rubbers: http://sternpinball.com/upload/games/tron/tron/431/Tron%20Manual.pdf

Light cycles: "My machine had the big Hallmark light cycles on it when I got it. So, I had 1 leftover little light cycle. Years ago, at CCAG 2011 (www.ccagshow.com), I got a little die-cast light cycle that I believe had been packaged with a DVD or Blu-Ray." So, yup, one of the ones that I used on my apron was the original die cast light cycle from my late-run Tron Pro (which had 1 light cycle & 1 light car).

Thanks,
-Jason

#2935 9 years ago

Did you guys know labnip was into making rap videos in his spare time. It's true, check it out.
» YouTube video

you get a cookie

bert-ernie-cookie-galz.jpgbert-ernie-cookie-galz.jpg

#2936 9 years ago

I changed my mind. Lamp>TRON.

lamp-girl.jpglamp-girl.jpg

#2937 9 years ago

Shredded my clear recogniser disc for a second time during a comp night last weekend- back to the original rubber matt for me now. I liked the spin imparted and the look of the clear rubber, but sick of buying new ones and gluing them back on.

#2938 9 years ago

After having glued my second set of clear rubber to the spinner I tried 3M 5200 compound. Its white and I was worried it would look terrible so I bought a spare disc in case I needed to go back to the drawing board. Happy to report that after upgrading the flashers underneath, it looks great! I'll try and get a video posted in the near future but right now the machine is down for service. I have about 300 plays on the new 5200 glued clear and have had no issues.

#2939 9 years ago

Has anyone had problems with the transistors blowing on the I/O board? I've now had to replace a transistor for a flasher and one for the right flipper.

#2940 9 years ago
Quoted from eyeguypec:

Has anyone had problems with the transistors blowing on the I/O board? I've now had to replace a transistor for a flasher and one for the right flipper.

Getting ready to replace one for my back panel flashers. There was an obvious short which apparently caused the failure. Researching my failure, came across a few mentions of users keeping the flipper energized for prolonged periods (a few minutes) also causing transistor failure.

#2941 9 years ago

Is there a source in the US for the clear spinning disks?

#2942 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Is there a source in the US for the clear spinning disks?

got mine from germany pretty cheap a few yrs ago.

#2943 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

got mine from germany pretty cheap a few yrs ago.

If I can't find one I may have to get the vendor info from you. I'm surprised these are not carried over here by someone.

#2944 9 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If I can't find one I may have to get the vendor info from you. I'm surprised these are not carried over here by someone.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tron+disc&x=0&y=0&search_in_description=1

#2945 9 years ago

Thanks CF.

#2946 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

hookedonpinball.com

Chrome all three lit 2.JPG 114 KB

yes!!

#2947 9 years ago

Skymall lamp

IMG_20150116_105835231.jpgIMG_20150116_105835231.jpg
#2948 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Skymall lamp

IMG_20150116_105835231.jpg 241 KB

hubba hubba

#2949 9 years ago

Just stumbled on this listing on eBay: TRON Pinball Alternate Translite / With adult versions!
ebay.com link: TRON Pinball Alternate Translite With adult versions

My machine is at the office, so sadly not an option for me!

#2950 9 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Just stumbled on this listing on eBay: TRON Pinball Alternate Translite / With adult versions!
ebay.com link » Tron Pinball Alternate Translite With Adult Versions
My machine is at the office, so sadly not an option for me!

That's hysterical. I might buy one for a friends machine and see what happens. Ha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.