(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,251 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 394 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(555 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,240 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TRON Wall.jpg
Image 8-16-19 at 2.33 PM (resized).jpeg
6562534A-2277-4FB0-87DB-6FE301BFA387 (resized).jpeg
16FFBE1E-E1CA-4567-AEE7-67372E96B244 (resized).jpeg
6C186F29-9677-4D16-8F22-A62CF5B38F1F (resized).jpeg
F91E8EB0-318F-4E97-9D64-05C1BA6A0AF3 (resized).jpeg
391B3511-8217-4786-9917-60F3818D792E (resized).jpeg
D8C6B3B7-A9AD-4EBA-A5B7-F9BF6FBD043F (resized).jpeg
79E9CC73-FBBE-435A-B134-B3F540755ADA (resized).jpeg
961C656A-F8E7-44B8-877E-596B182A6FD5 (resized).jpeg
69897D74-B9C8-461C-B8C9-50597E3D99C1 (resized).jpeg
B2982FC6-34B6-486C-B1C7-42B73C83ED28 (resized).jpeg
6B1A83B5-89F8-4AC4-866D-A768DBC70E2B (resized).jpeg
IMG_2387 (resized).jpeg
9FA77E18-CAA0-4EAA-A751-867C30FDA061 (resized).jpeg
20190810_102415 (resized).jpg

There are 9251 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 186.
#2201 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

What is lamp???

A quote from "Anchorman' apparently - yet to watch it again to see where it comes from

#2203 5 years ago

since i got the MET home, i have a bit (well, must admit completly !!!) forget the LAMP on his corner...

do i deserve a blame ?

my son told me its logical, when the novelty & exciting from the MET will pass, we will go back to the LAMP with no doubt

!?

#2205 5 years ago

Just received word that TRON will be here Wednesday. That means I'll be installing mods and drinking lots of beer this weekend. A+

E: Where can I get a speaker light kit? And the disc speaker grills? I'm also contemplating a Blue DMD or a ColorDMD. Thoughts?

#2206 5 years ago

So I just got TRON set up. I have some questions!

1) Previous owner installed cliffy switch protectors on the inlanes. The last game I played, when I hit the left ramp, the ball would fall out the bottom of the ramp and bounce off the inlane switch. It sent the ball back out into the play field. It seems to be because of that protector...Or is that common?

2) Speaking of switch protectors, the ball got stuck on it. Are those even necessary/useful?

3) About 80% of the time, the scoop ejects the ball and causes the right sling to trigger. Is that normal or is there an adjustment I can make?

4) So that Recognizer motor? Yeah, that thing is loud. Any way to quiet that down?

5) I made a thread about this, but the previous owner had a FF sub installed. It was shaking the glass pretty bad, so I unhooked it. I want to hook it back up and see if I can't adjust the level (can you?), but there is a brown and purple wire...Not sure which goes on NEG and which goes on HIGH/LOW. Also, can you reduce the glass shake?

Installed the arcade mod and LOVE it. Next is Hooked's pop bumpers and then Eli's Ramp this weekend. A+

#2207 5 years ago

congrats on your tron!
sounds like just some minor adjustments and cleaning up. no fixing the motor, she's loud. leave in the lane protectors or pull them out, its your game! if you do pull them, use canned air cleaner on the 3m tape so that they don't pull off any artwork. have fun

#2208 5 years ago

Thanks - yeah, little tweaking and such is all she needs. Not sure HOW to tweak the things I asked, so hopefully someone can hook me up.

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

E: Where can I get a speaker light kit? And the disc speaker grills? I'm also contemplating a Blue DMD or a ColorDMD. Thoughts?

Pinballtoppers.com sells the speaker lights and grills. I have a white Xpin in mine with grey and blue gel in them looks great!!!

#2210 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

So I just got TRON set up. I have some questions!
1) Previous owner installed cliffy switch protectors on the inlanes. The last game I played, when I hit the left ramp, the ball would fall out the bottom of the ramp and bounce off the inlane switch. It sent the ball back out into the play field. It seems to be because of that protector...Or is that common?
2) Speaking of switch protectors, the ball got stuck on it. Are those even necessary/useful?
3) About 80% of the time, the scoop ejects the ball and causes the right sling to trigger. Is that normal or is there an adjustment I can make?
4) So that Recognizer motor? Yeah, that thing is loud. Any way to quiet that down?
5) I made a thread about this, but the previous owner had a FF sub installed. It was shaking the glass pretty bad, so I unhooked it. I want to hook it back up and see if I can't adjust the level (can you?), but there is a brown and purple wire...Not sure which goes on NEG and which goes on HIGH/LOW. Also, can you reduce the glass shake?
Installed the arcade mod and LOVE it. Next is Hooked's pop bumpers and then Eli's Ramp this weekend. A+

I have a Stern blue DMD with blue gel. I love it.

You can get anti-rattle tape for your playfield glass to absorb the subwoofer rattle.

I have no issues with my Cliffy inlane switch protectors. I say leave them on.

#2211 5 years ago

Anti rattle tape, huh? Where might I find that?

E: Eli's Ramp will be this weekend. Also need some mirror blades, ColorDMD, speaker lights, and my powder coated rails.

TRON.jpg
#2213 5 years ago

Yeah, Michael contacted me already - we're working something out.

Three more questions!

1) I LOVE the callouts in this game. I turned the voice volume up, but it got softer. I tried 60 and it was almost silent. When I turned it to -10 or so, the voices were MUCH louder. Is there a wire crossed somewhere?

2) Is there a wiring/board diagram out there that I can print and keep around? Just in case I ever need or want to toy with anything.

3) One of the simulators I played before TRON arrived had a callout where Quorra would shout, "I'm Quorra!" when Quorra Multiball was ready. Is that in the Pro? I've not heard it yet...

#2214 5 years ago

Negative is louder. That's correct.

I'm pretty sure mine says I'm quorra.

#2215 5 years ago

Weird - I figured POSITIVE was louder (since, you know, that makes sense...).

Any way to test/diagnose the "I'm Quorra!" callout?

#2216 5 years ago

Yeah, take off the glass and press the quorra switch.

#2217 5 years ago

I guess I could just keep doing that until I hear it! I'll give that a shot at some point and see what's up.

#2218 5 years ago

Almost finished SOS just now. What a rush! Just needed to finish disc to start Portal...Buuuuut I did not succeed. But man was that crazy!

#2219 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Anti rattle tape, huh? Where might I find that?
E: Eli's Ramp will be this weekend. Also need some mirror blades, ColorDMD, speaker lights, and my powder coated rails.

TRON.jpg 191 KB

I like these better than the mirror blades. Looks great on my machine. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-custom-side-board-decals

#2220 5 years ago

New member to the club, really proud of it!

tron2.JPG
tron3.JPG
tron4.JPG

#2221 5 years ago

Nice - welcome!!!

What kind of ramp wire is that? It's not the Eli's mod, is it?

E: Speaking of Eli's, I'm going to install that on Saturday. I've already watched the videos and read the thread on the install, but anyone have any tips/advice on removing the ramps? I'm worried I'm going to screw something up or mess up the re-installation of the ramps.

Also, I have a plastic protector for the recognizer plastic (it looks to be clear blue?). Is that one worth putting on, or is the clear stock one fine?

#2222 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

What kind of ramp wire is that? It's not the Eli's mod, is it?

That looks like Kimball's Pinball sound activated EL wire kit.

In regards to removing your ramps just take your time and label all the connectors for the flashers and switches. There might already be factory markings (usually a colored line) on them already but those were wrong on mine. My left spinner and right ramp exit switch were mixed up and I checked the factory markings. Also be careful and go slow while drilling your ramps to zip tie the fiber wires.

#2223 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Also be careful and go slow while drilling your ramps to zip tie the fiber wires.

TIP: Start with an extra small drillbit to center the hole. Than upscale the drillbit to actual zip tie size. And yes; go slow.

#2224 5 years ago

Have any of you ever thought of swapping those cheap-looking white zip ties for transparent cable clips?

Like:
http://www.dx.com/p/ou-bao-cable-wire-cord-clip-clamp-organizer-fixer-transparent-20-pcs-250564#.U20v8MfrGHk

sku_250564_2.jpg
#2225 5 years ago

Alright, here's my first semi-original mod. I took Kimball's backboard mod for the Tron LE and re-did the sequencer section. His sequencer is a ten circuit deal that doesn't fade, it's just on or off. I've been playing with Arduinos for things lately and noticed they have five PWM outputs, so I decided to rewire my board to have two stacks of five LED outputs (so the bottom is on with the sixth in the stack, then the second with the seventh, etc). Kimball's sequencer is common ground and to make things easier with the Arduino and my FET shield I needed common power, so I just rewired it that way while I was "restacking" it.

Here's a pic of my additional hardware:

IMG_3997.JPG

It's an Arduino Pro Micro. Could have just as easily been the cheaper Arduino Pro Mini, but it's what I had at the time. On top is this shield:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9627

I had to do one crazy little hack to get the fifth PWM output routed through one of the FETs as by default you only get four of those with this shield, but it wasn't bad. So all-in my hardware cost on this is about $40. But if you used an eBay pro-mini clone and built your own FET board, you could do this for less than $20 in hardware. I'd go that route next time, personally.

Then a little bit of software for the Arduino and it's going:

I should have done longer shots of each thing running, but you'll just have to re-play the video a few times to see the subtle, but I think worthwhile, difference. The only change I might still make is to double up the short strips at the top of the light column, as they wash out a little bit due to the hologram.

--Donnie

#2226 5 years ago

Took nearly 6 hours, but it was absolutely worth it!

Eli Kit.jpg
#2227 5 years ago

Looks great! How does it interact with the gameplay compared to the LE?

I would expect it to change color at random...

#2228 5 years ago
Quoted from HENSBROOKER:

Looks great! How does it interact with the gameplay compared to the LE?
I would expect it to change color at random...

Color changes are not random and tied in nicely with the game play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Hc2_nHo2m74

#2229 5 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Alright, here's my first semi-original mod. I took Kimball's backboard mod for the TRON LE and re-did the sequencer section.

Very nice.

One thing that would be great to do would be to randomize the lightning flashes. The lighting flashing in the same pattern over and over is what has keep me away from that mod.

#2230 5 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Very nice.
One thing that would be great to do would be to randomize the lightning flashes. The lighting flashing in the same pattern over and over is what has keep me away from that mod.

Thanks.

That would be trivial with my addition to his mod. The hardware I used has three non-PWM outputs available, so you could randomize them all. The code I used would be pretty easy to modify to do that, too. It doesn't bother me so I'm probably not going to change mine, but if I were to do it again I'd just remove that sequencer and use my hardware only.

It's a shame Kim only found sequencers that were common-ground. If they had been common-power like what most microcontrollers want, dropping my hardware in would have been trivial re-wiring that wouldn't even have required soldering, just reconnecting stuff. But thanks to that one thing, you have to resolder a lot of what Kim did to change it. It's not *that* bad to do, just a bit tedious. I will say this...Kim doesn't charge enough for this mod. Replicating it from scratch would take a lot of hours to get right.

I'm happy to share my code (which I ripped off from Ideo Labs page from a different project of theirs anyway) or any other details if anyone else wants to do this. Kim may be willing to offer the board with the LEDs placed and no wiring for a better deal if you ask, I don't know. I know the soldering is the part he doesn't love about making these.

--Donnie

#2231 5 years ago

Gem and Quorra have a new roommate. It's bright and shiny but it still has a long way to go to take down Tron as my favorite.
20140512_152423.jpg

#2232 5 years ago

Tonight I was sooo close to starting portal. So close. So close Im still screaming obscenities and throwing sh!t around.
I'm gonna practice Carl's breathing techniques, freshen my drink up and get right back in there.

#2233 5 years ago

Good idea! Carl's breathing regimen is proven, and if I understand correctly, its patent is pending.

You guys see those new side decals? I like them but I'm torn between those and some mirrors. Or nothing at all

Has anyone met Tronguy? And if so do you think he would be amicable to an apron autograph?

Also last I saw of Brettbutler he was getting trolled in some thread. Lovefest getting stale without the butler
brettbutler.gif

#2234 5 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also, I have a plastic protector for the recognizer plastic (it looks to be clear blue?). Is that one worth putting on, or is the clear stock one fine?

You may find the plastic protector is clear and has a very thin blue film on it.

#2235 5 years ago

Finished the mod parade as well. Still cannot play the bloody thing though. I'm going to have to do a lot of study of the rules and watch some tuition videos to post any good scores. So very, very fast!
Popping in a pinovations headphone jack tonight to immerse myself further, and absolutely love the clear discs for the spin on the ball - makes the game in my opinion.tron pre mods.jpg

#2236 5 years ago

lamp set up a new account

time to drink more cool-aid

tron-encom-glass.jpg

#2237 5 years ago

Try again, hate uploading pics on this computer
tron post arcade.jpg

#2238 5 years ago

this is funny... i've been here "-1"
bg.gif

Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 9.54.37 PM.png

#2239 5 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

You may find the plastic protector is clear and has a very thin blue film on it.

You were indeed correct! Installed it when I did the ramps.

This game is kicking my ass over and over and over. My average game is 5-7m. A good game is like, 25-30m. It's fun, its brutal, but its damn frustrating at times.

#2240 5 years ago

as much as I love tron for its music, callouts, artwork, cab, and design.. I just got tired of the gameplay..i sold mine for a NIB metallica pro and will never look back.

glw all you still in the gang.

#2241 5 years ago

replace "tron" with "da fine ladies" and see how that sentence holds up

#2242 5 years ago

what i see pullin' into the casa...

now that the weather is warm again, it's time to get this puppy all restored.
might have to finally get around to painting those dang walls too.

9.outside-512.JPG

#2243 5 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Good idea! Carl's breathing regimen is proven, and if I understand correctly, its patent is pending.
You guys see those new side decals? I like them but I'm torn between those and some mirrors. Or nothing at all
Has anyone met Tronguy? And if so do you think he would be amicable to an apron autograph?
Also last I saw of Brettbutler he was getting trolled in some thread. Lovefest getting stale without the butler

I put the side mirrors on. I have not seen the decals on any game so I cannot compare, but I think the mirrors look amazing on this game. Especially when properly LEDed and with the ramp mods.

#2244 5 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I put the side mirrors on.

Mirrors all the way on TRON, I love the black chrome blades I put on mine, standard mirrors look really nice too.

DSC09992.JPG

DSC09982.JPG

#2245 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Mirrors all the way on TRON, I love the black chrome blades I put on mine, standard mirrors look really nice too.

Hey Centerflank, where did you get the ENCOM decal that you have on the DMD glare guard? I've wanted one for a while but not sure from where.

#2246 5 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Hey Centerflank, where did you get the ENCOM decal that you have on the DMD glare guard? I've wanted one for a while but not sure from where.

ebay.com link » 2x Tron Encom Sticker Die Cut Decal Self Adhesive Vinyl Legacy

#2247 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

ebay.com link » 2x Tron Encom Sticker Die Cut Decal Self Adhesive Vinyl Legacy

Thanks bud! Order placed.

#2248 5 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

DSC09992.JPG 273 KB

DSC09982.JPG 210 KB

your tron is lookin nice and icy there center ..... whats the story on your pop caps??

#2249 5 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

your tron is lookin nice and icy there center ..... whats the story on your pop caps??

The blue one was drilled out a bit too much during production and didn't fit quite right, Hooked offered to replace it but I was ok putting the devo back on that one, I dunno.... I like both styles.

#2250 5 years ago

Finally got around to installing my Tron Pinblades. They are glossy so Eli's ramp lights reflect in them and the grid pattern matches my pinheadpuckguy speaker panel

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 9251 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 186.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside