tron1 (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpg
IMG_4921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6148 (resized).png
IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 219 of 233.
#10901 1 year ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

Is the recognizer decal for the pro available still from anywhere or anyone? I looked around a bit and couldn't find where to snag one. Thanks for any help!

Pinball Decals has it but they’re closed until November 17th.

https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Tron_Page.html

#10902 1 year ago
Quoted from dacdjsteve:

Pinball Decals has it but they’re closed until November 17th.
https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Tron_Page.html

Awesome! Guess I'll order one on the 17th!

#10903 1 year ago

Looks like Quorra found an ISO-pet.

8CFE60F2-51D7-4136-A7BC-555C18EB6674 (resized).jpeg8CFE60F2-51D7-4136-A7BC-555C18EB6674 (resized).jpeg

#10904 1 year ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

Ah, well that sucks, lol. Appreciate the help!

After pinball customs screwed me on the decal (never sent, then promised multiple times it was in the mail which were lies, then stopped communication, then cried when I publicly trashed him for this) I went elsewhere. Got my recognizer decal from pinballdecals and it's great.

Their homepage states their store is closed until 11/17/22 so you should be able to order it soon.

https://www.pinballdecals.com/PartsByGamePages/Tron_Page.html#

edit: I see I'm late with this info!

#10905 1 year ago

Sounds like a terrible run biz, I was reading his now abandoned 10yr old thread where he says that he was hoping to make it a full time biz.

I see a lot of mod ideas fail here, another example is the ramp mode made in Australia, the guy abandoned it because he made a mistake and delayed production 4-6 months, because the mod was so in demand he could not tolerate the stress coming from the community so he abandoned it all together and also abandoned the forums.

Pinbits is another example as they lost interest after seeing their work ripped off…

At the end we are just a group of kids trying to have some fun… it gets out of hand sometimes.

Thanks for the tips on the decals, I will order them as well! So much better with those in.

Another question that I hope I get answers to this time lol yes I am putting some pressure….

Going to replqce all the rubber on my game.
Is there an alternative set of rubberw that make the game look better? Anything UV?

I can see the disc benefiting from having UV bands that react to a uv flasher…

Also, what about slings?

Help!!

#10906 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Looks like Quorra found an ISO-pet.
[quoted image]

what a beauty !

i mean, the cat !!!

#10907 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I see a lot of mod ideas fail here, another example is the ramp mode made in Australia, the guy abandoned it because he made a mistake and delayed production 4-6 months, because the mod was so in demand he could not tolerate the stress coming from the community so he abandoned it all together and also abandoned the forums.
Pinbits is another example as they lost interest after seeing their work ripped off…
At the end we are just a group of kids trying to have some fun… it gets out of hand sometimes.

Mixing hobbies and passions can end badly. I'm afraid I'm a poster child for it.

But I'm finding the enthusiasm for doing mods again now. Hoping to share the new one soon.

#10908 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mixing hobbies and passions can end badly. I'm afraid I'm a poster child for it.
But I'm finding the enthusiasm for doing mods again now. Hoping to share the new one soon.

My Tron is jealous of its sibling’s (MET) Hammer…can’t wait to see what you come up with!

#10909 1 year ago

Mod of the day:

Spike II rails on Sam system

Things you’ll need
-spike II service rails
-#8 wood screws 3/8 long (included with the spike II rail
-8/32 tnut
-1/2” 8/32 phillips screws (x2) included in the spike II rail
-3/8 spacer or wood dowel
-wood glue, quick setting time is ideal
-drill
-drill bits in different sizes
-flush cut saw and chisel

So yes, you could install the sam rails instead but these are pretty awkward just like in the early 2000 games. The pf ends up in a funky angle when pulled out and the bqck of thr pf is too far down and too angled into the cab, it is juat not a comfortable position to work in.
The spike II are much better because the rails extend flat and the pf is way more accesible so in case you were wondering:

No, the spike II rails will not fit the mounting holes for the sam rails unfortunately.

So the only way to install these is to install them in the exact location where the current pegs are.

Some work first: Once you remove one of the pegs you will realize the hole is 3/8” and this is almost too big for the 8/32” tnut. Would it work? Yes it will but I went the extra mile and filled the hole with a 3/8 wooden dowel and then just drill a small hole just for the tnut that is the perfect size.
This provides a lot more support to the tnut and makes for a sturdy installation that will last forever and prevent any failure due to improper tnut support. Overkill? Maybe, but it is my game and I like it this way.

Steps:
First you remove the peg
785C3CCC-6DDC-4368-B03D-0A12DF078F34 (resized).jpeg785C3CCC-6DDC-4368-B03D-0A12DF078F34 (resized).jpeg

Add glue

Then fill the whole with the dowel
8DF77C0D-B091-46DD-A9E6-8C28F4DBE34A (resized).jpeg8DF77C0D-B091-46DD-A9E6-8C28F4DBE34A (resized).jpeg
F2C3B51F-89C0-44AD-82C8-F37A7CB0EC99 (resized).jpegF2C3B51F-89C0-44AD-82C8-F37A7CB0EC99 (resized).jpeg

Cut the dowel flush (tape with painters tape around the pf where the dowel protrudes so the saw does not scratch the underside of the pf
Cut the dowel off

Use the chisel to make the dowel flush with pf as shown below
B2FAF566-05C9-4324-A49F-0EF167A3CB09 (resized).jpegB2FAF566-05C9-4324-A49F-0EF167A3CB09 (resized).jpeg

With a drill bit just as big as the tnut stem drill a hole through the dowel (I clamped a another piece of wood on the underside to prevent the drill to bust out as it is drilling out)

C9FF16CE-35A7-42C2-B167-761BCD8F8E04 (resized).jpegC9FF16CE-35A7-42C2-B167-761BCD8F8E04 (resized).jpeg

Then you can install the 8/32 tnut
BB36BFC3-5983-42C4-B9F0-BCBDF68A2A5C (resized).jpegBB36BFC3-5983-42C4-B9F0-BCBDF68A2A5C (resized).jpeg

I dont use a hammer to install the tnut, I press it down with a clamp, it is safer and much more controlled (also easier) but if you do use a hammer, do not hammer it directly on the nut, use a piece a wood in between the tnut and hammer.

Once you are here install the rail on the nut and place it so you can mark down where the pilot holes for the 2 wood screws are going to be.
Use a sharpie and make two dots using the rail as a template
Remove the rail and drill the pilot holes

Note: Do not drill through the pf
Use a piece of tape and use it a marker on the drill bit to tell you when to stop drilling.
Do not drill more than half the thickness of the pf.
9D45B9BB-B869-4323-8D59-9728C6051D08 (resized).jpeg9D45B9BB-B869-4323-8D59-9728C6051D08 (resized).jpeg

Reinstall the rails and screw it all in.

Done! U got spike II rails enjoy

5D3298D3-DCFB-43B2-8F1A-3C874783126B (resized).jpeg5D3298D3-DCFB-43B2-8F1A-3C874783126B (resized).jpeg

43E1685C-09CB-44D3-BE54-460269348793 (resized).jpeg43E1685C-09CB-44D3-BE54-460269348793 (resized).jpegADEDEDD2-57E1-47C1-9114-B0EC91BD44DC (resized).jpegADEDEDD2-57E1-47C1-9114-B0EC91BD44DC (resized).jpegC463D9AF-7C65-415E-847D-FDE5724C3CAB (resized).jpegC463D9AF-7C65-415E-847D-FDE5724C3CAB (resized).jpeg
5D3298D3-DCFB-43B2-8F1A-3C874783126B (resized).jpeg5D3298D3-DCFB-43B2-8F1A-3C874783126B (resized).jpeg

1538CC22-5952-4613-984B-05435691674F (resized).jpeg1538CC22-5952-4613-984B-05435691674F (resized).jpeg

#10910 1 year ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

My Tron is jealous of its sibling’s (MET) Hammer…can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Getting closer!

20221108_210603 (resized).jpg20221108_210603 (resized).jpg

#10911 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

Woah!!! We're all waiting to see what this is!

#10912 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

Woooot! Aurich has created a real life Encom digitizer! Tronverse, here I come!

tumblr_o3bzuenFdg1s5hedko1_400.giftumblr_o3bzuenFdg1s5hedko1_400.gif
#10913 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

Well that looks really interesting.

I am not sure what I am looking at BUT it that pcb looks awesome.

Maybe it would be a good time to team up with Ashram56 and rebuild the ramp mod?

AND build one of the greatest mods in the history of pinball…

Just saying.

#10914 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

Oooh a board from Halloween! Count me in

#10915 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

You know you can use pcbway in china to print and populate the boards for yiu?
This will cut your work.

I print boards there all the time when I build pin2dmd screens. Excellent workmanship and quality.

#10916 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Getting closer!
[quoted image]

Can't wait to see it! I've been looking for one of those Hot Toys Sam Flynn lightcycles as a topper, but they are ridiculously expensive. I'd love an Aurich topper. Looks like I'm holding onto my Tron Pro, the LE didn't materialize, too good to be true. But...I love it, the Pro is fantastic and I'm gearing up to mod with the 86Pixels screen, found the last LE apron in a warehouse at Pinball Life, etc. Do you guys have any recommendations for chroming parts without spending a fortune?

#10917 1 year ago

I am contemplating upgrading to an LE but I dislike drop down targets on the side of a game and the moving recognizer is really lame. Not worth the fortune people ask.
As for the extra code, sure that is the only thing that is nice along with the ramps/lights.

I believe the ramps will materialize soon.

#10918 1 year ago

I am contemplating upgrading to an LE but I dislike drop down targets on the side of a game and the moving recognizer is really lame. Not worth the fortune people ask.
As for the extra code, sure that is the only thing that is nice along with the ramps/lights.
I believe the ramps will materialize soon.

Having had a Pro, I personally like the drop targets better than the standup. It's just easier for some reason as the ball usually slams off the standup targets so quickly you can't tell what was hit. Also, less crazy bounces as well. Agree, moving recognizer is not that exciting. Daft Punk multi is the extra mode, requires a lot of ramps shots, both left and right. Like any of the LE packages, most of the extra stuff is just fluff with zero to little substance.

#10919 1 year ago

I was planning to use TimeBandit's drop target mod for the Pro, but it connects to his boards, which are no longer available. Maybe that will be an option down the line.

#10920 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

I was planning to use TimeBandit's drop target mod for the Pro, but it connects to his boards, which are no longer available. Maybe that will be an option down the line.

I have been trying hard to get a response from the previous modders.
If anybody has a lifeline to timebandit please get in touch with me.
I have tried all the email addresses and other youtube channels but I was ignored.

Thank you

#10921 1 year ago

Good morning,

I have reversed engineering the data bus used on Stern SAM between the CPU board and the IO driver board. It's actually relatively straightforward, so I now need to build an analytic control unit that could be used to drive mods.

This bus essentially allows to detect flashers/coils/lamps/specific HW (so in the case of Tron disc motor for ex). This is what Eli mod for the ramp used. It cannot detect switches, as the switch matrix is connected directly to the CPU board, so you need a specific intercept board (which is what TimeBandit had been doing on his ramp mod as well), a little bit more costly to build.

Coming back to Eli therefore, since he's been using this data bus to control the fiber optics, I would really welcome information on what triggers the ramp color changes ?

We can probably figure out something or give the flexibility to end user though, but curious to know what Eli mod owner think of the current trigger system

Cheers

#10922 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

Never heard of that mod, do you have a link ?

#10923 1 year ago

There is a teensy arduino that runs a sketch with logic to control the ramp lighting/colors. Each mode that starts has a corresponding color, there is logic for attract mode and the center ladder end of ball, multiball modes, game modes, 2x scoring and other events. There are 2 light controllers that connect to the fiber optic tubing and a high power RGB LED in each. I was one of the beta testers and it was quite fun seeing it all come together after several iterations of hardware.

Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
I have reversed engineering the data bus used on Stern SAM between the CPU board and the IO driver board. It's actually relatively straightforward, so I now need to build an analytic control unit that could be used to drive mods.
This bus essentially allows to detect flashers/coils/lamps/specific HW (so in the case of Tron disc motor for ex). This is what Eli mod for the ramp used. It cannot detect switches, as the switch matrix is connected directly to the CPU board, so you need a specific intercept board (which is what TimeBandit had been doing on his ramp mod as well), a little bit more costly to build.
Coming back to Eli therefore, since he's been using this data bus to control the fiber optics, I would really welcome information on what triggers the ramp color changes ?
We can probably figure out something or give the flexibility to end user though, but curious to know what Eli mod owner think of the current trigger system
Cheers

#10925 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

There is a teensy arduino that runs a sketch with logic to control the ramp lighting/colors. Each mode that starts has a corresponding color, there is logic for attract mode and the center ladder end of ball, multiball modes, game modes, 2x scoring and other events. There are 2 light controllers that connect to the fiber optic tubing and a high power RGB LED in each. I was one of the beta testers and it was quite fun seeing it all come together after several iterations of hardware.

Would you know by chance what power is each RGB diffuser ? I have a 2W, a 5W and a 10W emitter. The latter is probably WAY overkill (and expensive), the 2W seems on the low side, so the 5W seems the best bet, although slightly big. I'm also curious to know if the PCB of the emitter is mounted perpendicular to the playfield, or is it flat with a mirror (since the led would be facing upward in that case).

It's good to see you can achieve mode detection just using the insert/coils, we will need to build a table to reflect what color the fiber need to be depending on which insert combination

#10926 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning,
Cheers

Here is Eli's tool to customize the ramp colors. It doesn't give you exactly what you need, but you can see the different game modes that he's able to detect.

http://nuprometheus.com/pinball/TRON/ramps/test/settings.html

#10927 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Here is Eli's tool to customize the ramp colors. It doesn't give you exactly what you need, but you can see the different game modes that he's able to detect.
http://nuprometheus.com/pinball/TRON/ramps/test/settings.html

Thanks, did not know about that page. Very well polished I must say, too bad he did not maintain the mod afterward.

What I find odd is the switch detection, does he have wires connected from his control board to specific switches as well ? Or maybe some inserts are blinking when target are hit (Zuse, Quorra spinner, etc) and he uses that to track hits

#10928 1 year ago

Its been 9 or 10 years but if I recall he does this all without the switches, just by sensing the state of lamps and solenoids.

Quoted from Ashram56:

Thanks, did not know about that page. Very well polished I must say, too bad he did not maintain the mod afterward.
What I find odd is the switch detection, does he have wires connected from his control board to specific switches as well ? Or maybe some inserts are blinking when target are hit (Zuse, Quorra spinner, etc) and he uses that to track hits

#10929 1 year ago

Sorry I don't know what LED he used in each engine. I know there is a big heat sync on each (at least the ones I have).

Quoted from Ashram56:

Would you know by chance what power is each RGB diffuser ? I have a 2W, a 5W and a 10W emitter. The latter is probably WAY overkill (and expensive), the 2W seems on the low side, so the 5W seems the best bet, although slightly big. I'm also curious to know if the PCB of the emitter is mounted perpendicular to the playfield, or is it flat with a mirror (since the led would be facing upward in that case).
It's good to see you can achieve mode detection just using the insert/coils, we will need to build a table to reflect what color the fiber need to be depending on which insert combination

#10930 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

No switch detection is used in Eli's kit. Everything is based on the data bus to the power driver board.

#10931 1 year ago

amazing things being shown on this thread today, this is great great great stuff and it makes me super happy to see other people still working on mods for TRON.
It is unfortunate that a lot of the work done before has been lost and abandoned, so much effort, hours of testing, lessons learned, wasted.

It is especially sad knowing that this knowledge is currently sitting on somebody's shelf, collecting dust when it could still be made by someone else, that someone else being myself

I am hoping that the powers that be read this and reach out to me, so I can either purchase their plans or buy a limited amount under a license of some sort so we can make at least one more run of the ELI's OR make a last run of the other mode made by Timebandit.

I of course support the current effort and I make myself available to help in whatever way I could add some value to this new project started by Ashram56 and we have already been talking about it, which is great. The more the merrier.

#10932 1 year ago

can somebody please confirm the rubber sizes in your games on these 2 locations:
the rubbers I have in my game do not match what's on the manual, so either the manual is wrong, or my game is wrong. My tron has only 800 plays as it lived in storage for nearly a decade, so it has the rubbers from the factory I believe... but they are 1/4" shorter vs what I see in the manual

Location 6 calls for 1 1/2 rubber but I have 1 1/4 and 5 calls for 1 3/4 but I have 1 1/2, am I reading the manual wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 1.35.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-11-14 at 1.35.20 PM (resized).png

#10933 1 year ago

the manual is wrong

The manual is wrong with rubber sizes. Don't believe it. Just use the sizes fit best on your mashine.

#10934 1 year ago
Quoted from TomN:

Having had a Pro, I personally like the drop targets better than the standup. It's just easier for some reason as the ball usually slams off the standup targets so quickly you can't tell what was hit. Also, less crazy bounces as well.

Therein lies the best use for the stand up targets, the bounce into the Gem shot. I use that every game.

#10935 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Therein lies the best use for the stand up targets, the bounce into the Gem shot. I use that every game.

I believe my gem shot is much easier to hit from the top flipper since i put Precision flippers in the machine. It's rare for me to not to start Gem nowadays, though still rare for me to finish it.

I usually use the Zuess standups to make my ball go straight down the center drain.

#10936 1 year ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Me, too. It's a fun and unique shot

#10937 1 year ago

Looks like I found a spike II metal Premium apron off one of my friends game that has one extra.

Now need to figure out a way of installing that does not require drilling the pf as the Spike II has a through bolt unlike the Sam version no longer made by pinball life.

Any tips?

#10938 1 year ago

Does anyone have and extra set on the Legacy rails they would part with? They can be chromed or Raw

#10939 1 year ago

starting a list of the people wanting the arcade before things get crazy:

FtrMech
squirtbrnr
ZEN
dts
chrishoyle99
matlynch91
Tsunami
MMGB
guitarded

I will commit to 10 units to start with. So if you want one…. Now or never

Please if there is anyone else interested or NOT interested and your name is listed please let me know.

prototyping the new cab starts this weekend, weather and else permits.

#10940 1 year ago

Please add me to the list before it gets crazy.

#10941 1 year ago

FtrMech
squirtbrnr
ZEN
dts
chrishoyle99
@matlynch91

Please if there is anyone else interested or NOT interested and your name is listed please let me know.

Quoted from matlynch91:

Please add me to the list before it gets crazy.

Added you. Will continue editing that post for as long as possible before it gets bloxked

#10942 1 year ago

Add me to the list please.

#10943 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsunami:

Add me to the list please.

Done!
And, I think the prototype will be done tomorrow. Once I check dimensions against the screen I will have the graphic artist change the ai files and send to cut.

We are moving forward!

Peachy

32F329B1-F177-4C79-989E-F31DF1A24312 (resized).jpeg32F329B1-F177-4C79-989E-F31DF1A24312 (resized).jpeg

#10944 1 year ago

Done!
And, I think the prototype will be done tomorrow. Once I check dimensions against the screen I will have the graphic artist change the ai files and send to cut.
We are moving forward!
Peachy
[quoted image]

Make mine a strawberry banana and I'm there!

#10945 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Make mine a strawberry banana and I'm there!

Lol

#10946 1 year ago

FtrMech
squirtbrnr
ZEN
dts
chrishoyle99
matlynch91
Tsunami
MMGB
I will commit to 10 units to start with. So if you want one, only 2 spots left.

2 spots left!

#10947 1 year ago

I'm in for an Arcade Mod.

#10949 1 year ago

I'll take the last slot! Wishing this project good luck.

#10950 1 year ago

Done!
We are moving forward!
Peachy
[quoted image]

I have a proper empty cabinet for the tron game mod you can use. If i have material i can even laser cut them at work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 11,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 219 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/219 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.