(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than lamp!

By centerflank

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,545 posts
  • 544 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by BOBCADE
  • Topic is favorited by 159 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 438 votes
    73%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 104 votes
    17%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 62 votes
    10%

(604 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE71C8FA-5F48-49D5-8C4D-C73C1A29CB68 (resized).jpeg
3 encoms done (resized).jpg
20200223_021523 (resized).jpg
20200223_021712 (resized).jpg
20200223_021646 (resized).jpg
51238D84-9508-414E-A860-456422F31614 (resized).jpeg
F2D3048E-311C-43BC-9CCE-FBDFCFCAD48E (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
20210920_172834 (resized).jpg
20210920_172844 (resized).jpg
20210920_172938 (resized).jpg
20210920_172849 (resized).jpg
20210920_172949 (resized).jpg
IMG_3088 (Large) (resized).jpg
Tron switches are fussypants (resized).JPG
Tron switches are dumb (resized).JPG

There are 10545 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 211.
#10501 27 days ago

Mine still felt smooth before the protector was put on. Can't say for sure I even noticed the light cycle inserts ghosting till recently. I'm assuming they were like that.
I have my machine in my basement where the temp is pretty much always 68 degrees .The tron target insert has been like that since I got it.

#10502 27 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Interesting, so you also have the same issue with the insert rising.
Kind of wonder, if I go the hard route (heat and unglue, realign and glue, replace clearcoat), I don't see any reason for the issue to not appear again, right?
With regards to the quick and dirty approach, do I need to remove the clearcoat, and any guidance on how to do it? Posca pencil with a ruler?
Regards
And sidenote... Where do you get a replacement playfield?? Could not find one myself.

Pf is gonna be a hard find. Maybe a used one will show up, but at this point get ready to spend 700-1000 and up.

Oh I forgot you could you the clear protector on the pf and just forget about the insert raising… I don’t play mine too often but I just don’t care. I clean and wax and play the game.

#10503 26 days ago

Ya I figured I pay up for a new playfield. Luckily my inserts are not raised, just have some ghosting. Lesser of two evils I guess.

#10504 26 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey Tron brothers and sisters. I am back and may do very, very small runs of Tron ramp kits. I can't do volume runs anymore because of the risk of failure on an entire batch like last time. That was a devastating cost that I can't afford again. (couldn't really afford it the first time, lol).
They will unfortunately be more expensive because of the small runs. They used to run at around USD300, but will now more likely be at the USD500 mark.
My website won't be back and I will be putting them exclusively through Pinside.
It's good to be back. I love pinball like nothing else, but it bitch-slapped me hard man.

I'm in!

#10505 26 days ago

Anyone with the castor mod that had the el wire power supply fail? Wondering what is a good replacement. 12v dc input and 100v output

Also where does this plastic protector go, I think it’s for tron

image (resized).jpg
#10506 26 days ago

Added a new topper! Another Pinsider had this on his game and recommended it. It reminds me of the 80’s arcade game.

51238D84-9508-414E-A860-456422F31614 (resized).jpegF2D3048E-311C-43BC-9CCE-FBDFCFCAD48E (resized).jpeg
#10507 26 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Added a new topper! Another Pinsider had this on his game and recommended it. It reminds me of the 80’s arcade game.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice. Where did you get it?

#10508 26 days ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Nice. Where did you get it?

A guy on Ebay who goes by Quartereatercabinets sells LED display boxes that look like mini back boxes. I have the Fish Tales box too.

#10509 25 days ago

I got a similar one...... its actually a original marquee out of a Tron arcade I owned in the early 90's......
It's got the girls from the new movie on either side to match the pin....

20200223_021523 (resized).jpg20200223_021646 (resized).jpg20200223_021712 (resized).jpg
#10510 25 days ago

So my tron is starting to seem like the opto's in the spinning disk/recognizer go off on their own. Like multiball starts faster than usual # of shots. Then I thought in multiball I had 3 balls on the pf but I feel like it thought balls drained? I wiped the optos with qtip and iso alch, but still does this. Thinking of just reflowing the optos up there.

#10511 25 days ago

Pinsider sent me some pics of the towers installed. Though I would share.

3 encoms done (resized).jpg
#10512 25 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone with the castor mod that had the el wire power supply fail? Wondering what is a good replacement. 12v dc input and 100v output
Also where does this plastic protector go, I think it’s for tron
[quoted image]

Well he’s back

EE71C8FA-5F48-49D5-8C4D-C73C1A29CB68 (resized).jpeg
#10513 25 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So my tron is starting to seem like the opto's in the spinning disk/recognizer go off on their own. Like multiball starts faster than usual # of shots. Then I thought in multiball I had 3 balls on the pf but I feel like it thought balls drained? I wiped the optos with qtip and iso alch, but still does this. Thinking of just reflowing the optos up there.

problem knew on TRON, we're a lot to have seen this
just need to re-align correctly the optos...

#10514 24 days ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

problem knew on TRON, we're a lot to have seen this
just need to re-align correctly the optos...

I don't think it was alignment on this one. I ended up taking off the recognizer and opto's. It looked like on the left opto the wire was being pushed/cut and ground out to the opto leg behind the board. When I pulled them out, the sleeve to the wire looked punctured. It was so random when it would happen, but usually did it seldomly when the spinner was not going and many times when it was spinning. I have put electrical tape around the wire at the back of the opto board and played 1 game. seemed fine. I'll get a new opto on order, but also will try a few more games out.

#10515 23 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

[quoted image][quoted image]

How do you power it? Do you have it connected inside the machine?

#10516 23 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

How do you power it? Do you have it connected inside the machine?

Hey, Mo! It comes with a (short) power cord which is plugged into an extension cord behind the game.

#10517 22 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I don't think it was alignment on this one. I ended up taking off the recognizer and opto's. It looked like on the left opto the wire was being pushed/cut and ground out to the opto leg behind the board. When I pulled them out, the sleeve to the wire looked punctured. It was so random when it would happen, but usually did it seldomly when the spinner was not going and many times when it was spinning. I have put electrical tape around the wire at the back of the opto board and played 1 game. seemed fine. I'll get a new opto on order, but also will try a few more games out.

than a micro-faillure on soldering ?
mine also had this, cant see it while "just looking", but than, depending of shocks while playing it was activating on/off for none other reason
once resoldered correctly, all was gone

#10518 17 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey Tron brothers and sisters. I am back and may do very, very small runs of Tron ramp kits. I can't do volume runs anymore because of the risk of failure on an entire batch like last time. That was a devastating cost that I can't afford again. (couldn't really afford it the first time, lol).
They will unfortunately be more expensive because of the small runs. They used to run at around USD300, but will now more likely be at the USD500 mark.
My website won't be back and I will be putting them exclusively through Pinside.
It's good to be back. I love pinball like nothing else, but it bitch-slapped me hard man.

I'm also really interested. Don't know why I waited to long to do this.
Thanks for considering another run... even if it's limited.

#10519 14 days ago

Lately, I've noticed that the video VUK is shooting so hard, that the ball is landing past the protective mylar strip and on or below the insert at the end of the mylar strip.

I remember trying a mantis protector and then switching to a cliffy, I'm not sure if I may have altered the exit angle or something. It is a pretty strong coil, has anyone experienced this problem or tweaked the coil for a softer eject?

#10520 14 days ago
Quoted from MrKegFlex:

Lately, I've noticed that the video VUK is shooting so hard, that the ball is landing past the protective mylar strip and on or below the insert at the end of the mylar strip.
I remember trying a mantis protector and then switching to a cliffy, I'm not sure if I may have altered the exit angle or something. It is a pretty strong coil, has anyone experienced this problem or tweaked the coil for a softer eject?

person before me looks like they added a 2nd piece of mylar to extend that strip lower. I've never touched it. I think there is a coil power setting on that age of game but it means all coils, not just one....IIRC.

#10521 14 days ago

Disc optos problem, so need to realign them

Anyone would have a recommendation to easily access them? First time I have to do it, and when checking under the playfield it's not quite apparent how to access the optos

Thanks

#10522 14 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Disc optos problem, so need to realign them
Anyone would have a recommendation to easily access them? First time I have to do it, and when checking under the playfield it's not quite apparent how to access the optos
Thanks

ha just did this. take off 4 nuts where the recognizer plastic is. and they are right there. they will require 1 screw to be removed to lift the opto up.

Check to make sure the leg of the opto isn't piercing the coating of the wire, that is what mine is doing and why it kept not working or glitching. Otherwise clean the optos with iso prop alcohol and a qtip.

#10523 14 days ago

Hey Tron family, having an issue with my
Ball trough. Here are some of the symptoms:
- game launches 2 balls when one should be launched
- all balls drain and the game still thinks a ball is in play.

My assumption is the balls are getting hung up in the trough and or somehow got magnetized and are “sticking” to one another in a way the optos are having a hard time getting triggered. Optos do test fine in test mode.

Any thoughts?

#10524 14 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

My assumption is the balls are getting hung up in the trough and or somehow got magnetized and are “sticking” to one another in a way the optos are having a hard time getting triggered. Optos do test fine in test mode.
Any thoughts?

Assumption correct. New balls.

#10525 14 days ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Any thoughts?

Go into diagnostics, you can run the ball trough eject over and over.

Also go to switch test and see if any trough switches have issues. Maybe the jam optos are not working correctly.

My game was ejecting a ball, it would hit the other side and bounce back in the trough, rhen eject two balls. The weld on the scoop broke. Got that fixed and it’s been great!

#10526 14 days ago

Just got a Tron Pro. Firstly. F$*K YES. Secondly how is this not #1 on the charts? How good is it! Hahaaaa honeymoon period I'm sure but this thing is sweet. How amazing is the spin on the ball off the disc.

#10527 13 days ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Just got a Tron Pro. Firstly. F$*K YES. Secondly how is this not #1 on the charts? How good is it! Hahaaaa honeymoon period I'm sure but this thing is sweet. How amazing is the spin on the ball off the disc.

mmmm honeymoon? I mean I love the game, but it all depends on what you're in the mood or looking for in a game. For sure a fast, hard, furious game. And I think it really pulls you into the world with the music and call outs.

#10528 13 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Hey Tron brothers and sisters. I am back and may do very, very small runs of Tron ramp kits. I can't do volume runs anymore because of the risk of failure on an entire batch like last time.

TimeBandit what do we need to do to be on the list, and hope things are going well down under!

#10529 13 days ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Just let it kick your ass around for awhile, lol, and you'll answer your own question. I love my Tron LE, it's the game I play when I have less than 5 minutes to turn a pin on, play, and turn it off and feel satisfied. Also improves my skills because it's so fast. And it just looks downright awesome. Not the deepest, but doesn't have to be.

#10530 13 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/47#post-6496336

So... project it's alive or dead?

If alive i will be happy to buy 1 kit at the old price when you will make a bigger batch.

Thanks.

#10531 13 days ago
Quoted from CreoPinball:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-lighting-in-your-face-st-pro-brought-to-lifevideo/page/47#post-6496336
So... project it's alive or dead?
If alive i will be happy to buy 1 kit at the old price when you will make a bigger batch.
Thanks.

Project is alive, and I believe his statement is quite clear: he's taken a hard hit by building 100 boards that did not work. So he will not build in large batches anymore, only small batches, and price has increased as a result.

#10532 12 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Project is alive, and I believe his statement is quite clear: he's taken a hard hit by building 100 boards that did not work. So he will not build in large batches anymore, only small batches, and price has increased as a result.

I am still in and at the new price. We appreciate your hardwork timebandit!

#10533 8 days ago
Quoted from Lemank:

I am still in and at the new price. We appreciate your hardwork timebandit!

You guys are great. Really.
I got a quote back today for the small run, and it’s not pretty. Global supply chain issues are hurting as well, so it’s not a happy place for the little guy at the moment.

I’m going to get a quote for a slightly larger batch to try and soften it a bit.

I may have to break my own general rule and think about taking deposits. I don’t like the idea and have never taken money from anyone unless I’m ready to ship. But the way things are it may be the only way I can afford it.

I will check back in with the second quote.

Thanks again for hanging in there.

#10534 8 days ago

I share with you a video of my Tron Pro in action, with my custom music code. SOS at the 2n ball. I love this game, masterpiece!

#10535 7 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I got a quote back today for the small run, and it’s not pretty. Global supply chain issues are hurting as well, so it’s not a happy place for the little guy at the moment.
I’m going to get a quote for a slightly larger batch to try and soften it a bit.
I may have to break my own general rule and think about taking deposits. I don’t like the idea and have never taken money from anyone unless I’m ready to ship. But the way things are it may be the only way I can afford it.

I don't have a TRON (yet) but when I do, put me down for one of your rail light kits.

I do have a question on the wiring and bus pirate type work if you don't mind me sending you a PM.

#10536 5 days ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Please also put me down for one, and happy to pay a deposit

#10537 2 days ago

I know it's a longshot, but anyone have a sef of the upgraded tron disc pop bumper caps they want to sell me? Shoot me a pm.

Caker

#10538 1 day ago

Looking to powder coat some custom made siderails (by an Italian guy, I'm located in Europe), hinges and lockbar.

I've seen some Tron with a relatively bright blue, I'm not too fond of this color however, has anyone done other colors (dark blue for ex, or purple, with/without glitter) ? If so, any picture you could share ?

Regards

#10539 1 day ago

Anyone know where I can find a set of cliffy’s? Looking for at least the ramps, but the full set would be nice too.

#10540 1 day ago
Quoted from squirtbrnr:

Anyone know where I can find a set of cliffy’s? Looking for at least the ramps, but the full set would be nice too.

Have you tried Cliffy?

[email protected]

#10541 1 day ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

I share with you a video of my Tron Pro in action, with my custom music code. SOS at the 2n ball. I love this game, masterpiece!

Nice mix

#10542 1 day ago

Yep sent an email (found his site too) but never heard back. Wasn’t sure if it was a case like some other mods where they were active for a few years then dropped off but everyone still talks about their mod.

#10543 1 day ago

I'm just stopping in to say that I hate you all, you suck and I'm jealous.

....but not as much as I hate myself for selling Tron twice.

Carry on.

#10544 13 hours ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm just stopping in to say that I hate you all, you suck and I'm jealous.
....but not as much as I hate myself for selling Tron twice.
Carry on.

Gee whiz, Frax--you think you woulda figured out you made a colossal mistake after selling the first one...

#10545 4 hours ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Gee whiz, Frax--you think you woulda figured out you made a colossal mistake after selling the first one...

I kind of did after the first

There are 10545 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 211.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside