tron1 (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpg
IMG_4921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6148 (resized).png
IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 233.
#9001 4 years ago
Quoted from hwol:

Unfortunately in my case oiling helped only for a short period and other pinball friends had more or less the same experience. The only valid solution in their opinion is to substitute the motor with a higher quality one.

Bummer. Did you & your friends find/install a higher quality motor?

#9002 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

If you're not playing Tron loud enough that you don't hear the motor, you're not doing it right.

#9003 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Bummer. Did you & your friends find/install a higher quality motor?

#9004 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

If you're not playing Tron loud enough that you don't hear the motor, you're not doing it right.

#9005 4 years ago

I just ordered a replacement from Pinball Life. Hopefully that cuts down the noise.

#9006 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hmm. I actually bought a brand new motor from a reputable pinball dealer and it made noise out-of-the-box. They told me to oil it as well. Your assertion that "Normally end users oiling bearing is the last thing you should be doing." doesn't strike a chord with me. Oiling the motor has worked like a charm for me and my games get lots of exercise.

The motor uses bushings that wear and you get slop.. and hence the noise. No amount of oil can undo that slop.

#9007 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

some eventually get horrid... same with POTC.

#9008 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The motor uses bushings that wear and you get slop.. and hence the noise. No amount of oil can undo that slop.

I'm not an expert on the motor construction. I gladly defer to you on the theory.

I can speak from experience. Both my TRON motors are working great after thousands of plays. I've only oiled them once and it fixed the loud noise 100%. Maybe folks are oiling them incorrectly OR using the wrong oil. Who knows. As a fairly frequent poster on "Stern quality" issues, I can say that TRON motors aren't on my list of low quality mechs.

#9009 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I just ordered a replacement from Pinball Life. Hopefully that cuts down the noise.

I did this and had noise "out of the box" (they gladly took it back...great company to deal with). A PL employee told me to oil it, which I didn't feel good about since it was "new". So I oiled my original/stock motor and everything was quiet and back to normal.

#9010 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I did this and had noise "out of the box" (they gladly took it back...great company to deal with). A PL employee told me to oil it, which I didn't feel good about since it was "new". So I oiled my original/stock motor and everything was quiet and back to normal.

Trust Snaroff, He's a true friend to Pinsiders. Maybe we can find out exactly where the oil is being applied so that everyone is on the same page for results!

#9011 4 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Trust Snaroff, He's a true friend to Pinsiders. Maybe we can find out exactly where the oil is being applied so that everyone is on the same page for results!

Thx Joe I actually removed the motor and oiled BOTH ends of the spinning post. 3 drops on top...3 drops on bottom (with ample time to let settle). If you try to oil the motor without removing it, it's much more error prone (and impossible to oil both ends).

I still have a new/spare motor, but it works no better than the oiled original/stock motors.

#9012 4 years ago
Quoted from hwol:

Unfortunately in my case oiling helped only for a short period and other pinball friends had more or less the same experience. The only valid solution in their opinion is to substitute the motor with a higher quality one.

My experience as well. Typical, industrial motors will have an oil port which wicks the shaft. Tron motors will only dissipate the oil, as it's more of a bearing tolerance issue.

I actually decreased my noise significantly by replacing the clear plastic disc assembly, and being very careful in applying the new rubber adhesive. That thing has to spin as true/balanced as possible. Really made a difference, and highly recommend. Mine's been very quiet for a long time now. If that disc is not balanced...any motor is going to whine....

#9013 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My experience as well. Typical, industrial motors will have an oil port which wicks the shaft. Tron motors will only dissipate the oil, as it's more of a bearing tolerance issue.
I actually decreased my noise significantly by replacing the clear plastic disc assembly, and being very careful in applying the new rubber adhesive. That thing has to spin as true/balanced as possible. Really made a difference, and highly recommend. Mine's been very quiet for a long time now. If that disc is not balanced...any motor is going to whine....

perhaps that could be my issue. Not sure how I could balance the clear plastic though.

it's not like a car wheel where I can attach small lead weights

hmm, if it was metal I could slowly add solder to one side.

#9014 4 years ago

Anyone have an extra clear disc rubber they want to sell? Pm me.

#9015 4 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Anyone have an extra clear disc rubber they want to sell? Pm me.

I recently installed 2 sets from pinball-mods.com. John recently received more stock. Makes a huge difference.

http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/game-specific-products-stern-tron-tron-le-spinning-disk-pad-set-p-51.html?osCsid=1dbf7d1ed1cb9498ed42c9b24278e5d1

#9016 4 years ago

Just checked my version of the pro code with added call outs does have some overlapping speech but overall I’d rather have the call outs and have to deal with some overlapping speech than to not have the call outs at all. Now at least I know when I’m in double scoring. I could care less about the spinners or pop bonus.

#9017 4 years ago

I've got to be honest, out of every pin I've played so far (many over the past few years since getting into the hobby), Tron is THE absolute stunner of them all. I had no strong interest in it before playing it, and after trying it at Pinfest, I was absolutely blown away. I love every aspect of it. I definitely need to figure out if a Tron Pro will do or if a Tron LE is the way to go. The Tron I played I thought was a LE but others suggested it was a modded pro. Regardless, it was phenomenal. I'm envious of you all for having one already. Once I get Alien here and tucked in, Tron is one of the next two pins on my list.

#9018 4 years ago

Thinking of getting a Tron this year but can't find answer to this question.

When/if you finish Portal, what is the payoff/reward for doing so?

Is Portal a great wizard mode or just an average one?

Thanks

#9019 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thinking of getting a Tron this year but can't find answer to this question.
When/if you finish Portal, what is the payoff/reward for doing so?
Is Portal a great wizard mode or just an average one?
Thanks

Very average....getting there is the fun. The mode itself...not so much...

The main god goal to me, is finishing all the modes, then getting double scoring going, then hit the scoop to start portal.

#9020 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I've got to be honest, out of every pin I've played so far (many
over the past few years since getting into the hobby), Tron is THE
absolute stunner of them all. I had no strong interest in it before
playing it, and after trying it at Pinfest, I was absolutely blown
away. I love every aspect of it. I definitely need to figure out if
a Tron Pro will do or if a Tron LE is the way to go. The Tron I
played I thought was a LE but others suggested it was a modded pro.
Regardless, it was phenomenal. I'm envious of you all for having
one already. Once I get Alien here and tucked in, Tron is one of
the next two pins on my list.

Sounds like we have similar taste. I just jumped back into the tron scene after owning 3 trons before them all pro. Love the game, love the speed, sound and look. I went tron LE this time and I just wish it wasn't as expensive b/c it feels like the total package. The ramp lights actually go with the gameplay vs the pros I used to have. Getting a gem shot blue, quora green, sounds simple but it makes it more special. Better call outs, rotating thing in the middle, drop targets and I like shooting the ramps for the exclusive MB. That being said, it is a lot more than a pro. Can't go wrong with either.

Fun game,.

#9021 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sounds like we have similar taste. I just jumped back into the tron scene after owning 3 trons before them all pro. Love the game, love the speed, sound and look. I went tron LE this time and I just wish it wasn't as expensive b/c it feels like the total package. The ramp lights actually go with the gameplay vs the pros I used to have. Getting a gem shot blue, quora green, sounds simple but it makes it more special. Better call outs, rotating thing in the middle, drop targets and I like shooting the ramps for the exclusive MB. That being said, it is a lot more than a pro. Can't go wrong with either.
Fun game,.

Indeed we do have similar taste. It would be easier to confirm if I was still at PITT and could come try out your games (haha). I really need a detailed breakdown of what differs between the LE and the Pro, and then I'll know. I want the experience I had at Pinfest...it's got to have all of those features because it was incredible. I still can't stop thinking about it. I was lucky too...nobody was playing it at Pinfest when I found it, and nobody lined up behind me, so I just kept going and going and going.

Here is a question: is it only 2 balls per game standard, or is that an option you can set? It was set to 2 balls at Pinfest - I was guessing that was to make the games quicker and thus reduce wait times for other players.

#9022 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

Here is a question: is it only 2 balls per game standard, or is that an option you can set? It was set to 2 balls at Pinfest - I was guessing that was to make the games quicker and thus reduce wait times for other players.

3 ball is standard

#9023 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I really need a detailed breakdown of what differs between the LE and the Pro, and then I'll know.

If you can both afford and find an LE get it. Can't lose, it's got nice features.

That said, having a modded Pro myself and I've played a lot of LEs and I actually prefer the aftermarket fiber optics on the Pros, they look better when they're off since they're clear and not milky, and I think light a little better.

You basically can't lose, but ramp lights are essential. I wouldn't play the game without them, that's how much they add to the experience.

#9024 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you can both afford and find an LE get it. Can't lose, it's got nice features.
That said, having a modded Pro myself and I've played a lot of LEs and I actually prefer the aftermarket fiber optics on the Pros, they look better when they're off since they're clear and not milky, and I think light a little better.
You basically can't lose, but ramp lights are essential. I wouldn't play the game without them, that's how much they add to the experience.

The ramp lights are indeed stunning...hypnotizing even. I would not have a Tron without them. I thought the pro had ramp lighting without color changing sequencing, and the LE did. Regardless, that feature just looked so incredible, and it didn't hurt that the shots are all a lot of fun. I want a LE so bad...in due time my chance will come, I suppose!

#9025 4 years ago

one other diff I've noticed is how much nicer the LE cab looks with the screen printed colors vs the pros (at least ones I've owned) that we decals. Much deeper colors. I also like the white stock ramp lights on the LE - not sure why but it fits.

#9026 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

one other diff I've noticed is how much nicer the LE cab looks with the screen printed colors vs the pros (at least ones I've owned) that we decals. Much deeper colors.

I agree and have always said that however people with decals will argue how pixelated the artwork looks on the screened cabs. I feel the same way about Ironman but at least the VE had foil decals.

#9027 4 years ago

My curiosity was peaked by people anticipating a vault edition Tron at some point. I'm not sure what they'd change...or if it's worth waiting to see what makes a vault edition different from the original release. Seems they got things perfect the first time around anyway.

The Tron I played also had what appeared to be an LCD DMD in it and that was awesome...just a random thought that comes to mind.

#9028 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

The Tron I played also had what appeared to be an LCD DMD in it and that was awesome...just a random thought that comes to mind.

#9029 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I actually swapped out my factory fiber optic tubes for clear ones on my LE. Got some slightly larger diameter side glows. I LOVE IT. Clear when off and light up cleaner and more vibrant. Best $100 I spent on the game and it was pretty easy to do.

Adding a comparison. I hate the after pic as I went overboard with Ice Blue lights then and have since backed way off that but you get the idea on the ramps.

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#9030 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I definitely need to figure out if a Tron Pro will do or if a Tron LE is the way to go.

Here's the complete list of LE goodies:

1 - Daft Punk Multiball
2 - Silver around PF inserts
3 - Drop targets instead of standups
4 - Moving Recognizer
5 - Color changing lighted ramps
6 - LED insert PCBs
7 - Alternating color flashers under the spinner
8 - Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
9 - Chrome trim
10 - Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
11 - Metal PF rails
12 - Traditional lockdown bar and receiver
13 - LE numbered plaque on back box and signed certificate of authenticity
14 - Hologram sticker on translite

Still the most played game in my collection. Had a 19 year old over yesterday...first time he's ever played a "real" pinball machines (he has played phone app simulations). He played for about 2-3 hours and TRON was his favorite. Always curious to see what newbie's gravitate toward. TRON is only of those rare games that appeal to both new & experienced players.

#9031 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I thought the pro had ramp lighting without color changing sequencing, and the LE did.

Nah, they're nearly identical. I think there might be some subtle difference for one or two things, but just overall the Pro lights change colors with the modes etc like they're supposed to.

Quoted from BoJo:

I agree and have always said that however people with decals will argue how pixelated the artwork looks on the screened cabs.

I definitely 100% prefer the decals. Some people dig screened cabs, and that's cool, but they're vastly lower print quality otherwise. Super low rez. I'd definitely take the decaled cabs given a choice, but I prefer the high resolution art.

Quoted from PinDoctor82:

My curiosity was peaked by people anticipating a vault edition Tron at some point. I'm not sure what they'd change...or if it's worth waiting to see what makes a vault edition different from the original release. Seems they got things perfect the first time around anyway.

People have been anticipating it for literally years and years. Who the heck knows, but don't hold your breath. I personally don't see it, they aren't gonna move crazy units because some people on Pinside want one. There's not much media backing for it for general sales. It's a perpetual rumor though for sure.

As for the ColorDMD, that's a must have on any game that's supported imo. I've never owned a DMD game that had support that didn't get one.

#9032 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Here's the complete list of LE goodies:
1 - Daft Punk Multiball
2 - Silver around PF inserts
3 - Drop targets instead of standups
4 - Moving Recognizer
5 - Color changing lighted ramps
6 - LED insert PCBs
7 - Alternating color flashers under the spinner
8 - Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
9 - Chrome trim
10 - Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
11 - Metal PF rails
12 - Traditional lockdown bar and receiver
13 - LE numbered plaque on back box and signed certificate of authenticity
14 - Hologram sticker on translite
Still the most played game in my collection. Had a 19 year old over yesterday...first time he's ever played a "real" pinball machines (he has played phone app simulations). He played for about 2-3 hours and TRON was his favorite. Always curious to see what newbie's gravitate toward. TRON is only of those rare games that appeal to both new & experienced players.

15 - Extra Callouts during game play
16 - Single slot Coin Door (still no clue why they did this)
17 - (rumor here that I can't confirm) - Signed PF's got an extra coat of clear

Not LE exclusive but Not all Pro's received:
- Direct print cabs (early pro's had this but most are decaled)
- 3D translight (1st run pros had this as well but 2nd (Clue) and 3rd (Girls) didn't)
- Light Cycles above rams. not sure which run of the Pro's this changed to one light cycle and one car but think it was the 3rd run

#9033 4 years ago

Tron rocks, I have a heavily modded pro that’s probably as close to an LE as I can get with a pro but so wish had an LE. I saw an LE in California Disneyland and it’s was so dirty and neglected. Made me sad, thing is no one was playing it, the owner would have been better off selling it for low end LE money and buying a new game or two used pins.

I think Tron was the best Stern LE ever made, but I got back in the hobby like 1-2 years too late.

#9034 4 years ago

TRON Rules!!!!

IMG_1930 (resized).JPGIMG_1930 (resized).JPG
#9035 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Tron rocks, I have a heavily modded pro that’s probably as close to an LE as I can get with a pro but so wish had an LE. I saw an LE in California Disneyland and it’s was so dirty and neglected. Made me sad, thing is no one was playing it, the owner would have been better off selling it for low end LE money and buying a new game or two used pins.
I think Tron was the best Stern LE ever made, but I got back in the hobby like 1-2 years too late.

I bought my LE late last year...had it shipped from NJ->Florida. Right after I purchased it, a pinball buddy 30 miles away offered me his for considerably less...sigh. Then, more started coming up for sale on Pinside. No doubt if I were looking today, it would likely be tough to find one! Some titles seem to come/go in waves. Sometimes I think the TRON VE chatter influences sellers to let their baby go...who knows.

#9036 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

No doubt if I were looking today, it would likely be tough to find one! Some titles seem to come/go in waves. Sometimes I think the TRON VE chatter influences sellers to let their baby go...who knows.

In my part of the world (Australia) I've never seen more than a couple publicly listed in the past 2-3 years. I only got mine off a pinball friend who knew of another guy that was possibly considering selling one. Had to travel 2,000 km's (1200 miles) to get it too. I've heard multiple people tell me that there is only ~8 (yes eight) in the country which make it less of a reason for me to sell as it would be so hard to get one back again.

#9037 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

- Light Cycles above rams. not sure which run of the Pro's this changed to one light cycle and one car but think it was the 3rd run

I have a 1st run pro that has the bike and car.

#9038 4 years ago

I just popped open my Tron to lube the identity disc motor. It's a bit loud--not bad, but I do notice it.

I haven't worked on my Tron in a while--most of my pinball work of late has been on my Wizard of Oz.
Boy, was it ever trivial to pop out this motor + disc assembly! This machine seems so simple & easy to work on after wrestling w/ some WOZ repairs!

A bit of 3-in-1 on both bushings didn't seem to make an appreciable difference--perhaps a smidge, but that could just be my imagination.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/180#post-4971689

While I was in there, I replaced the Pinball Center white identity disc rubbers that I'd installed about 4.5 years ago with a fresh set.
The old set was peeling up a bit & getting a little chewed.

WOW! I'd forgotten how gnarly these disc rubbers are! They *definitely* mellow out over time.
The fresh set has really aggressive bite & instantly grabs & flings the ball with authority. The worn-out set was super gentle in comparison.

Thanks,
-Jason

1 week later
#9039 4 years ago

SALE PENDING

Hey guys, i just (re)joined the TRON club and picked up a beautiful HUO Pro from a fellow Pinsider... it had a few mods that i didn't want on my machine so thought I would offer them up here as a lot for someone who might be looking to mod theirs.

LOT includes:
- Custom made TRON topper. Looks pretty cool i just don't have toppers on any of my other machines so it feels out of place to me.
- Mezel Mods Illuminated Recognizer Target Bank (new uninstalled)
- Color Changing Speaker Light kit w/ remote and Blue Light Cycle acrylic inserts.
- all wiring etc.

SALE PENDING

Let me know if anyone is interested.
IMG_3197 (resized).jpgIMG_3197 (resized).jpgIMG_3198 (resized).jpgIMG_3198 (resized).jpgIMG_3201 (resized).jpgIMG_3201 (resized).jpgIMG_3237 (resized).jpgIMG_3237 (resized).jpgIMG_3239 (resized).jpgIMG_3239 (resized).jpg

#9040 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

Hey guys, i just (re)joined the TRON club and picked up a beautiful HUO Pro from a fellow Pinsider... it had a few mods that i didn't want on my machine so thought I would offer them up here as a lot for someone who might be looking to mod theirs.
LOT includes:
- Custom made TRON topper. Looks pretty cool i just don't have toppers on any of my other machines so it feels out of place to me.
- Mezel Mods Illuminated Recognizer Target Bank (new uninstalled)
- Color Changing Speaker Light kit w/ remote and Blue Light Cycle acrylic inserts.
- all wiring etc.
$125 for all, shipped via UPS ground.
Let me know if anyone is interested.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Pm sent

#9041 4 years ago

Damn, next....

1 week later
#9042 4 years ago

I was one Gem shot from lighting portal last night, so close! I'll keep trying, I suppose.

#9043 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I was one Gem shot from lighting portal last night, so close! I'll keep trying, I suppose.

My heart goes out to you... I made it to Portal once after shooting the arcade then immediately went right down the middle from the arcade kick out... It went from excitement and thrill; to pure profanity laced anger.

#9044 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

profanity laced anger.

That’s my nickname for trying to complete Light Cycle Mulitball, let alone reaching Portal.

#9045 4 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

That’s my nickname for trying to complete Light Cycle Mulitball, let alone reaching Portal.

Other than pure luck, maybe the easiest way to get LCM completed is left ramp-Quorra-right ramp. One three-way combo will do it--there are others but I forget what they are.

#9046 4 years ago

Anyone care to confirm that they have double rubbers on the inside of the disc please, on each side?

I have 2x 1-1/2" with 2x 5/16' i think on both left and right side. Just changing over to black so wanted to be sure. Manual only shows single rubber with the 5/16" shown on top of each post.

Cheers.

#9047 4 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

Anyone care to confirm that they have double rubbers on the inside of the disc please, on each side?
I have 2x 1-1/2" with 2x 5/16' i think on both left and right side. Just changing over to black so wanted to be sure. Manual only shows single rubber with the 5/16" shown on top of each post.
Cheers.

just changed my rubbers to black and can confirm I had double on the machine as well as in the kit that i bought.

#9048 4 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Other than pure luck, maybe the easiest way to get LCM completed is left ramp-Quorra-right ramp. One three-way combo will do it--there are others but I forget what they are.

If you can get a left ramp early while you still have ball saver, you can drain and have it fed right to the upper flipper.

#9049 4 years ago

Yay, I got a lucky Gem shot (it's always the Gem shot) and got to Portal last night.

#9050 4 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Yay, I got a lucky Gem shot (it's always the Gem shot) and got to Portal last night.

That gem shot, and (the skill shot through the trees on woz) are the hardest shots to me on all of my games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

There are 11,649 posts in this topic. You are on page 181 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/181?hl=pindoctor82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.