IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3026 (resized).png
IMG_3018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
TRON_SpinDisc Mounted (resized).jpg
IMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 233.
#8851 5 years ago

I finally tried something to resolve my loud spinner motor issue.

I’d seen the very old posts about the same issue and people replacing them etc.

In my part of the world those motors have to be ordered in and aren’t cheap so I decided to try something else out.

I swapped in shaker motor from another machine. Took a couple of hours to take them out, swap/resolder and test.

Wow the difference was night and day!

Shaker is no different as they never got the high sustained speed that the spinner did so it’s not like I’ve just moved the problem to another machine

A cheap zero cost fix if you have other newer sterns with shakers in them

It will remain to be seen how long before it becomes like the old one!

#8852 5 years ago

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I'd be surprised if a shaker motor has the same bearings in it as a motor designed to run at a constant (and high) RPM. Then again, I could be thinking of "quality" rather than "let's just build them all as cheaply as possible"...

#8853 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I'd be surprised if a shaker motor has the same bearings in it as a motor designed to run at a constant (and high) RPM. Then again, I could be thinking of "quality" rather than "let's just build them all as cheaply as possible"...

Bearing quality doesn’t seem the best.

When I looked up the partid’s they were identical. Specs on the outside are the same also.

51A9EF4F-AF35-43CF-B986-240D6D2E20FF (resized).jpeg51A9EF4F-AF35-43CF-B986-240D6D2E20FF (resized).jpeg9CC5E2FC-0476-4693-AB0F-9FF993AF9198 (resized).jpeg9CC5E2FC-0476-4693-AB0F-9FF993AF9198 (resized).jpeg

In some of the other threads people talked about taking the motors somewhere to be serviced/repaired. I wonder if someone local could replace the bearings in the old one with some high quality ones.

#8854 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Bearing quality doesn’t seem the best.
When I looked up the partid’s they were identical. Specs on the outside are the same also.
[quoted image][quoted image]
In some of the other threads people talked about taking the motors somewhere to be serviced/repaired. I wonder if someone local could replace the bearings in the old one with some high quality ones.

Once I had a squeaky shaker motor. What I did is just switched the red and blue wires with each other reversing the rotation direction. It quieted it up. Just un solder the wires on the motor, switch them and resolder. . Actually did it on two different shakers. It's simple and free to see of it helps your noise.

#8855 5 years ago

I have 6 NOS motors left, I purchased a while ago for a decent price, they work for the shakers or disc. I will sell them for $24 each plus shipping or two for 52 shipped in us. First come first served. Pm.

#8856 5 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

Once I had a squeaky shaker motor. What I did is just switched the red and blue wires with each other reversing the rotation direction. It quieted it up. Just un solder the wires on the motor, switch them and resolder. . Actually did it on two different shakers. It's simple and free to see of it helps your noise.

Nice tip!

You can also check this (for the disk motor) without desoldering to see if it would be worthwhile and save your time. Just use the disk test menu and change the spin direction.

The problem I have with changing the rotation is that it can throw the ball a different direction. But for a shaker motor it doesn’t matter

So it’s been a couple of days since I changed the motors over and it’s even more quiet now than when I first did it.
So glad I switched it.

#8857 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I think just change it to another country, start up the machine, switch it off and set it back to the setting you need. Start up the machine again.

Which dip switch is the country code?

#8858 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

When I bought my Tron LE the two light cycles were (and still are) connected to the GI on the backboard using crocodile clips. I'm going to be fitting a power tap this weekend to power a Flynn sign, and probably some other mods too. I would like to rewire these cycles to connect using 3-pin Molex connectors to this power tap (which is connected to the aux power connection).
I assume these cycles should be wired for 5v instead of 12v? They seem to be reasonably bright already using whatever the GI voltage is..

I can't recommend this enough for Tron especially due to all the add ons for the game.

https://www.pinballlife.com/8-way-power-splitter-board-for-stern-pinball-machines-using-whitestar-or-sam-operating-systems.html

#8859 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

Which dip switch is the country code?

On the main board, in the lower left corner are a set of 8 switches. All off is US. #4 on is italy, #3 on is Netherlands. See the manual for settings.

#8860 5 years ago

Hi guys just picked up a tron and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can purchase the optic fiber light kit for the ramps thanks.

#8861 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

On the main board, in the lower left corner are a set of 8 switches. All off is US. #4 on is italy, #3 on is Netherlands. See the manual for settings.

Thanks. Still have the random light flickering/pulsing from time to time... meh...

#8862 5 years ago

Have two remaining white rubbers disc from Germany for the spinning disc. PM if interested. 85 shipped or 50 each shipped.

#8863 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

Thanks. Still have the random light flickering/pulsing from time to time... meh...

Yes also with mine. Going to check the wires and connectors.

#8864 5 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

The shaker and spinner use the same motor:

https://www.pinballlife.com/replacement-motor-for-stern-shaker-kits.html

#8865 5 years ago

Just got back in the club. Only things I need to add are the arcade mod and the scoop cliffy. Anyone have either of these they never installed an older version of arcade mod you upgrades shoot me a PM

Thx

#8866 5 years ago

Can anyone make me up one of those resistors that go on the motor loom to slow down the disc? I'm keen to use the clear disc to stop the balls crudding up the playfield with black rubber, but I don't want it smashing into things.

I don't have the skills to make it Let me know how much it'll cost me including shipping to UK.

Thanks in advance!

#8867 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Can anyone make me up one of those resistors that go on the motor loom to slow down the disc? I'm keen to use the clear disc to stop the balls crudding up the playfield with black rubber, but I don't want it smashing into things.
I don't have the skills to make it Let me know how much it'll cost me including shipping to UK.
Thanks in advance!

I just installed the clear disc, and it's fantastic. Makes a BIG difference. I won't be installing the resistor as I don't want to slow it down and also am so far not worried about causing any damage. Obviously I can't speak for your machine, but mine seems fine as it is - just added more speed and unpredictable ball directions. Ball spin in particular is fantastic. Its always possible that your motor is running better than mine though - or some other variation. At the end of the day you could get cracked plastic from any airball. Understand your concern though.

#8868 5 years ago

I've heard some horror stories and I've got a few mods that are either very expensive (arcade for one) or are essentially irreplaceable (Flynn sign). I'd love the disc to be more intense but not at the cost of smashing the machine up.

I'd like to try the resistor at first to at least get a sense of it. A variable one would be fantastic.

#8869 5 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

I just installed the clear disc, and it's fantastic. Makes a BIG difference. I won't be installing the resistor as I don't want to slow it down and also am so far not worried about causing any damage. Obviously I can't speak for your machine, but mine seems fine as it is - just added more speed and unpredictable ball directions. Ball spin in particular is fantastic. Its always possible that your motor is running better than mine though - or some other variation. At the end of the day you could get cracked plastic from any airball. Understand your concern though.

Agreed! The ball spin you can get is insane! I’ve had the ball torque it’s way up the right (yes right!) ramp a few times.

Haven’t had it break anything and I’ve had the clear disc for the past 18 months. I only have the arcade mod and not the Flynn sign.

Speaking of which has anyone attempted a more movie realistic version of the Flynn sign? The existing mod as good as it is really doesn’t represent what it looks like in the film.

#8870 5 years ago

A Flynn topper in neon would be amazing.

#8871 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Hi guys just picked up a tron and I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can purchase the optic fiber light kit for the ramps thanks.

I don't think either of the main kits are available right now. I saw a cheap kit on ebay but it was just lit wire, always on.

#8872 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Agreed! The ball spin you can get is insane! I’ve had the ball torque it’s way up the right (yes right!) ramp a few times.
Haven’t had it break anything and I’ve had the clear disc for the past 18 months. I only have the arcade mod and not the Flynn sign.
Speaking of which has anyone attempted a more movie realistic version of the Flynn sign? The existing mod as good as it is really doesn’t represent what it looks like in the film.

I was working on recreating a new design of the flynn sign - I curved my version to fit better with the overall playfield. But I was thinking about how to do a more 'real' version with arches and brick. I still think it's do-able but it would stand out from the rest of the pin design.

#8873 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

here's an image - it appears more curved from the players standpoint. Plus I've put red flasher lights in there now and hooked it up to the flynn's plastic flasher, so it flashes on when you have end of the line lit. I know that doesn't make sense for some people but I wanted it to have a more functional purpose within the game.

I've also had the ball backspin up the right ramp - the spin is just awesome. I haven't had any airballs off of it yet, which is the only way I could see it doing any damage.

IMG_9051 (resized).JPGIMG_9051 (resized).JPG

#8874 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

You get an extra bonus on your end of the line combo for Disc >> Right Ramp correct?

#8875 5 years ago

Could the insane spin not damage the playfield surface too? Any imperfection in the ball could dig in, couldn't it? Or am I overthinking it?

#8876 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Could the insane spin not damage the playfield surface too? Any imperfection in the ball could dig in, couldn't it? Or am I overthinking it?

It will leave dimples and bounce around but it isn't like a wreaking ball or anything. I did have one ball come out like a rocket and smash the side of the cabinet by the shooter lane... It was pretty nuts, left a dimple. It's one of those things you deal with, but it's cool... :/

#8877 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

If there is an imperfection in the ball like that regular play would be damaging the playfield.

Start/end of daylight savings? check your smoke alarm, check your batteries, check your balls

#8878 5 years ago
Quoted from Jazzbouche:

I was working on recreating a new design of the flynn sign - I curved my version to fit better with the overall playfield. But I was thinking about how to do a more 'real' version with arches and brick. I still think it's do-able but it would stand out from the rest of the pin design.

That would be great. I've been thinking about it for ages but my modelling skills aren't up to scratch.

Design wise I would would have thought an inside the grid style flynn would be more suited. The existing orange/red one is from outside. This is in contrast with the playfield which is "inside".

So perhaps something styled along these lines but the sign can light up "white". Also notice how the sign is changed. Its flat white instead of neon tubes.

Tron-Legacy-WallPaper-tron-legacy-24853362-1919-826 (resized).pngTron-Legacy-WallPaper-tron-legacy-24853362-1919-826 (resized).png

#8879 5 years ago

A new design Flynn's sign would be very cool--hope one of you guys do it!

#8880 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

That would be great. I've been thinking about it for ages but my modelling skills aren't up to scratch.
Design wise I would would have thought an inside the grid style flynn would be more suited. The existing orange/red one is from outside. This is in contrast with the playfield which is "inside".
So perhaps something styled along these lines but the sign can light up "white". Also notice how the sign is changed. Its flat white instead of neon tubes.
[quoted image]

I'm loving the sound of this. I missed out on a Flynn sign as I was looking for a different look to the current one.
This sounds like exactly what I want!

#8881 5 years ago

The Flynn sign is mounted so far out of the way, I don’t see it ever getting hit by an air ball

#8882 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

The Flynn sign is mounted so far out of the way, I don’t see it ever getting hit by an air ball

Yes it will hit a arcade, flasher and ramp first. I can;t see that hitting an airball either. Also I do not have many airbals on tron.

#8883 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

[quoted image]

OK this is interesting. I'd been referencing the 'real world' sign - creating a version for within the grid makes way more sense.
I'll look into it.

#8884 5 years ago

I have a handful of these motors left. I have sold and shipped those who wanted them and paid already.

For clarity, these are made by Johnson Electric in USA. They are direct replacements for shaker motors and they are high quality, I bought the remaining NOS a few years back. They are not Chinese knockoffs. I replaced my tron spinning disc and my shaker with this successfully. The cost is $32 shipped each when they are gone they are gone. If you want 2 best I can do is $61, they are heavy little guys. PM.

20190402_162223 (resized).jpg20190402_162223 (resized).jpg
#8885 5 years ago

Anyone help me make a back up copy of my Tron code? Cant get it to work.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/usb-help-backing-up-tron-code

#8886 5 years ago

The tron code is still available via stern pages - https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/
Why would you like to make your own backup?

#8887 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The tron code is still available via stern pages - https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/
Why would you like to make your own backup?

I have a custom code that came on my Game. But I want to tweak 1-2 songs. Want to back it up before making changes

#8888 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I have a custom code that came on my Game. But I want to tweak 1-2 songs. Want to back it up before making changes

Is it custom custom or is it one of the 3 main remixes available here?

#8889 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Is it custom custom or is it one of the 3 main remixes available here?

I Just picked up the game and def is custom I have no way of knowing which it is....Just no idea why it wont let me back it up. The music from my Herg board is def synced to the music so I dont want to lose it..Ill post a video of attract mode later.

#8890 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I Just picked up the game and def is custom I have no way of knowing which it is....Just no idea why it wont let me back it up. The music from my Herg board is def synced to the music so I dont want to lose it..Ill post a video of attract mode later.

It seems a backup is possible, see post #6:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/backing-up-settingsscores-to-usb-stern-sam-machines

#8891 5 years ago

That's the exact post I used....But when I insert USB nothing happens like in my pic. I tried 4 diff USB so something is not letting mine back up. Thx for checking though!

#8892 5 years ago

Herg’s board just syncs up the topper, speaker lights etc... with the ramp lights, so they all change together. Definitely don’t think it syncs anything to the music, it’s all switch based.

#8893 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Herg’s board just syncs up the topper, speaker lights etc... with the ramp lights, so they all change together. Definitely don’t think it syncs anything to the music, it’s all switch based.

I've tried to tell him that, but he insists he's going to convince me by posting a video.

Techincally, the Eli ramp lighting uses lamp, coils, and flashers to figure out which mode(s) are active. My board follows what the ramp lighting is doing, which the one exception that it lights blue when the ramps go dark.

#8894 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I've tried to tell him that, but he insists he's going to convince me by posting a video.
Techincally, the Eli ramp lighting uses lamp, coils, and flashers to figure out which mode(s) are active. My board follows what the ramp lighting is doing, which the one exception that it lights blue when the ramps go dark.

Ill post video here....Must just be a coincidence

Just realized can’t post a vid

Any way I can tell which tron mix I have ?

#8896 5 years ago

I would like to know this as well. V/R

#8897 5 years ago

bump

#8898 5 years ago

So, my right flipper just stopped working in my Tron. I did a coil test and nothing registers. I checked the fuses in the backbox and they are all good. Any ideas what I could be missing? Thank you.

#8899 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

So, my right flipper just stopped working in my Tron. I did a coil test and nothing registers. I checked the fuses in the backbox and they are all good. Any ideas what I could be missing? Thank you.

Did you already check the wiring to the coil and make sure nothing broke loose?

#8900 5 years ago

Yes. Checked that. I’m stumped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 178 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/178?hl=jazzbouche and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.