tron1 (resized).jpg
tron2 (resized).jpg
IMG_4921 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4920 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4060 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6148 (resized).png
IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 233.
#8601 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Has anyone else listened to episode 73 of the head2head pinball podcast with the interview of Lyman Sheats? The entire interview is pure gold... at a minimum, I would urge you to go to the 1hr 24min mark and listen to Lyman stumble over his words when talking about Tron code. It seems almost to me that he starts to talk about what they are already doing, but catches himself and talks about what he would like to do if he had the chance. If this is true, I have no idea if this is for a VE, or just another code update of a game that’s been out for a while (like they did recently with Metallica... a game that was already very mature).
Any thoughts on this, falconpunch??

Highly recommended listening.

I emailed Stern code support straight afterwards with my annual report on the Pro not having the double scoring call-out, and pointed them in the direction of it being referenced in the podcast. I also got my annual ‘no reply any all’, so I will not be holding my breath. The new Stern site seems to have broken the link to the read me file too. Haven’t checked the .bin file link yet.

#8602 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Highly recommended listening.
I emailed Stern code support straight afterwards with my annual report on the Pro not having the double scoring call-out, and pointed them in the direction of it being referenced in the podcast. I also got my annual ‘no reply any all’, so I will not be holding my breath. The new Stern site seems to have broken the link to the read me file too. Haven’t checked the .bin file link yet.

There is a couple versions of the code with the call-outs added in (using Pinball Browser). PM me if you want a copy.

Yes, was a good listen. Quite confident that a VE is finally coming, just hope they make the updated code compatible with the original versions.

#8603 5 years ago

New Tron code would likely change the volume adjustment to ramp up or down and not just single increment adjustments, just like in Met 1.8

#8604 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Has anyone else listened to episode 73 of the head2head pinball podcast with the interview of Lyman Sheats? The entire interview is pure gold... at a minimum, I would urge you to go to the 1hr 24min mark and listen to Lyman stumble over his words when talking about Tron code. It seems almost to me that he starts to talk about what they are already doing, but catches himself and talks about what he would like to do if he had the chance. If this is true, I have no idea if this is for a VE, or just another code update of a game that’s been out for a while (like they did recently with Metallica... a game that was already very mature).

They won't ever say anything prior to being able to purchase something new.

If you consider it from a business point of view you have one of your most important staff working on something that doesn't generate money nor help your larger customer base. Remember tron != metallica in terms of sales.

Remember what zach said about metallica. It was on the line for 8 YEARS. That is insane. That means that one single game is quite probably their most sold game. So a "maintenance" release on a game like that could be justified. A Tron update, unless they are planning an ve edition, wouldn't make sense resource wise.

Now, if a VE was planned they'd never say until its on the line 2 weeks away from a purchase. They never kill sales of other machines.. That's how stern have always done it so I cant see them changing the formula anytime soon.

#8605 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Also, I bought a Tron pro and the light cycles seem very faint. They are wired to the GI? Is this incorrect? I heard they should be wired to 5v source? Where and how would I do that? Any help would be great. Thank you!!!

Mine are wired to the 5v in the head (photo attached). I installed the recently, so I happen to have a photo. I purchased mine from Hooked (who provide a nice harness/extender).

snaroff

IMG_0978 (resized).jpegIMG_0978 (resized).jpeg
#8606 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

They won't ever say anything prior to being able to purchase something new.
If you consider it from a business point of view you have one of your most important staff working on something that doesn't generate money nor help your larger customer base. Remember tron != metallica in terms of sales.
Remember what zach said about metallica. It was on the line for 8 YEARS. That is insane. That means that one single game is quite probably their most sold game. So a "maintenance" release on a game like that could be justified. A Tron update, unless they are planning an ve edition, wouldn't make sense resource wise.
Now, if a VE was planned they'd never say until its on the line 2 weeks away from a purchase. They never kill sales of other machines.. That's how stern have always done it so I cant see them changing the formula anytime soon.

No argument on anything you said... but humans will be humans and a slip of the tongue still happens from the best of us. I’m not saying that Lyman DID slip up... in fact, a pure transcript of his actual words probably reveal nothing. But if you listen carefully, his stumble at first could sort of be interpreted that way if you are the speculative type. Oh well, that’s one part of what these forums are all about right? Not trying to create a fuss... just making an observation. Heck, I’ve been wrong more times than not, so... “move along, nothing to see here” might be the best way to interpret my post.

#8607 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

No argument on anything you said... but humans will be humans and a slip of the tongue still happens from the best of us. I’m not saying that Lyman DID slip up... in fact, a pure transcript of his actual words probably reveal nothing. But if you listen carefully, his stumble at first could sort of be interpreted that way if you are the speculative type. Oh well, that’s one part of what these forums are all about right? Not trying to create a fuss... just making an observation. Heck, I’ve been wrong more times than not, so... “move along, nothing to see here” might be the best way to interpret my post.

oh absolutely! I thought exactly the same way as you ... 'oh that stumble .. infers that he's been working on something, want's to tell but knows he shouldn't.'

We all want to hope that new things come to old games. How far back (if anywhere) stern will allow him to go vs working on new game titles who knows.

The thing is he is so passionate about what he does he does want to talk about it. In this hobby you can't even hint at something like that because it will be inferred that something is coming.

#8608 5 years ago

<blockquote cite="#4744097"
Remember what zach said about metallica. It was on the line for 8 YEARS. That is insane.

Metallica was on the line for 5years. I bought my LE NIB in 2013

#8609 5 years ago

Lyman is probably working on Tron code among others whether it’s for a VE or not is another question but Lyman seems to be revisiting a lot of his work, the guys commitment and passion is unmatched!

He has mentioned in a previous podcast he would still like to add some stuff to Ironman, specifically more high score boards for the modes, from memory I’m sure he says at the very least he’d love to put in a high score for Bogey.

Being hopefully and positive I’d love to see updates to both Ironman and TRON even if it’s just high score boards and more combos integrated into the games with a combo score board, would make two great games pretty much perfect!

#8610 5 years ago

If there was a code update wouldn't it be cool if the Tron Pros could finally get the missing Daft Punk multiball mode? Probably never happen though.

#8611 5 years ago
Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

If there was a code update wouldn't it be cool if the Tron Pros could finally get the missing Daft Punk multiball mode? Probably never happen though.

As an LE owner I honestly wouldn’t be bothered if that did happen but as it was advertised as a LE exclusive I doubt Stern would risk watering down their lucrative LE market.

My favourite LE feature is the silver outlines around the inserts

#8612 5 years ago

Yeah, if Pros got Daft Punk what really is left? Eli's mod is already pretty much as good as the LE fibre optics, and Pros actually have some straight up benefits (eg you can use an LED OCD board on them)

#8613 5 years ago

Just give me the call outs for double scores and stuff (I’m not killing my high score table for anything but an official release). And for goodness sake, show me how many hits left towards disc multiball in a usable timeframe. That delay has always bugged me.

However, if those never happen... meh. I adore Tron every time I play it. And here is why. I can do everything in the game, just not all in the same game. I can finish Gem. I can complete disc. And on rare occasions, I even finish FLC (F’ing Light Cycle). But I never do them all in a single game. To me, that adds up to fun. I always think I can do them all, and then things just go bad and I’m slamming the start button again. That’s why I’ve never sold it after almost 7 years of ownership. It always wins, and I always think I can win. That’s the core of a great game to me.

#8614 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

&lt;blockquote cite="#4744097"
Remember what zach said about metallica. It was on the line for 8 YEARS. That is insane.
Metallica was on the line for 5years. I bought my LE NIB in 2013

Sorry, yeah sounded too long. That was just a quote from memory of what zach said in the interview, didn't bother to see when it even came out. I was sure he said 8 years.

#8615 5 years ago

Well I just bought the pin bits dress kit and I have 3 pieces left that I for the life of me can't figure out where they go.

1364 (resized).jpeg1364 (resized).jpeg
#8616 5 years ago

The one one on the right goes on the left side where the TRON targets and upper flipper are. The middle one goes above the pops by the right spinner. Don't recall the left one though. I think it's somewhere by the right ramp.

#8617 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The one one on the right goes on the left side where the TRON targets and upper flipper are. The middle one goes above the pops by the right spinner. Don't recall the left one though. I think it's somewhere by the right ramp.

Hey it's 2 out of 3. Thank you so much!!

#8618 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The one on the left looks like it used to be one piece. It goes above the top left flipper. Here is a pic of the older one piece unit on my left side.

8517AB56-155F-49A4-83D5-00EFCA559A34 (resized).jpeg8517AB56-155F-49A4-83D5-00EFCA559A34 (resized).jpeg

#8619 5 years ago

Also while I'm at it, how do you take off your ramps for cleaning after the Eli's kit is installed. I found something that said take off the back and clean from there but I found I didn't get as much leverage as promised. Also the top left light, it seems who had this before me did not secure the bulb inside the light very well as there is only 1 screw and it was not in the bracket. Getting that ramp out I think would give me the leverage I need.

Thanks guys!!!

#8620 5 years ago

When needed, the ramps aren’t that bad to take out. However... so the fiber optic cable is held in with small Allen screws in the aluminum blocks. They seem a tiny bit fragile, and the instructions warn to not tighten them too far. So loosen those Allen screws, and the fiber optic should then pull out of the blocks. Then remove the ramp normally pulling the tubes through the playfield. Some people did shrink wrap on them to block light leakage, so make sure it slides through with no restrictions. And finally, be really careful not to bend or crimp the fiber optic in any way. A little kink can cause a bright spot that stands out. So the normal amount of care there.

#8621 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

When needed, the ramps aren’t that bad to take out. However... so the fiber optic cable is held in with small Allen screws in the aluminum blocks. They seem a tiny bit fragile, and the instructions warn to not tighten them too far. So loosen those Allen screws, and the fiber optic should then pull out of the blocks. Then remove the ramp normally pulling the tubes through the playfield. Some people did shrink wrap on them to block light leakage, so make sure it slides through with no restrictions. And finally, be really careful not to bend or crimp the fiber optic in any way. A little kink can cause a bright spot that stands out. So the normal amount of care there.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this community? Thanks again!!

#8622 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Have I ever mentioned how much I love this community? Thanks again!!

This community has helped me fix more games than I can count. It’s a big circle of life.

#8623 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Just give me the call outs for double scores and stuff

If that's all you need I have made this and can provide it. Of course it's not an official release but it is exactly what you are asking for, an official release that has been modified to swap to the callouts you desire from another official release. No code changes or anything that would make it not feel like an official release.

#8624 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

If that's all you need I have made this and can provide it. Of course it's not an official release but it is exactly what you are asking for, an official release that has been modified to swap to the callouts you desire from another official release. No code changes or anything that would make it not feel like an official release.

Yes please, PM sent

#8625 5 years ago

Has anyone tried to get rgb speaker lights with the music cue controller to see if you could get the lights to change along with the ramps depending on the song for the mode? Wondering if it would be worth the investment purely in the sense of functionality.

#8626 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyk:

Has anyone tried to get rgb speaker lights with the music cue controller to see if you could get the lights to change along with the ramps depending on the song for the mode? Wondering if it would be worth the investment purely in the sense of functionality.

That would be awesome, but I've never heard of it done.

Eli's fibre mod syncs with the game doesn't it? If so I presume it must be possible...?

#8627 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

That would be awesome, but I've never heard of it done.
Eli's fibre mod syncs with the game doesn't it? If so I presume it must be possible...?

I found rgb speaker lights that are supposed to change based on audio cues. Not sure if you program the audio cues or if it does it at random. Has a microphone in the power supply. Might give it a shot because it does come with a remote as well to just keep it steady at what ever color you want.

#8628 5 years ago

Hello, I recently bought a tron pro with some mods, color dmd, light cycles, speaker lights, total light show and topper. Often times, there is a clicking sound in the backbox and the GI lights flicker at the same time? It seems to happen when I score, hitting various targets. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks for your help.

#8629 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hello, I recently bought a tron pro with some mods, color dmd, light cycles, speaker lights, total light show and topper. Often times, there is a clicking sound in the backbox and the GI lights flicker at the same time? It seems to happen when I score, hitting various targets. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks for your help.

That’s the GI relay opening and closing to flash your GI, entirely by design. You probably see it more during ZUSE mode when you rip through a spinner.

#8630 5 years ago

Okay, but it also is clicking when the dmd score changes between balls? Seems odd?

#8631 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Okay, but it also is clicking when the dmd score changes between balls? Seems odd?

It is odd, but without looking at how all the mods were installed, it's impossible to help. This is one of the big issues I have with heavily modded games...if the person installing the mod doesn't know what they are doing, who knows what could be going on. I recently picked up a TRON LE and the ColorDMD was installed improperly...was almost 1" pushed back from the speaker panel (which resulted in pretty lousy images). The previous owner thought I was being "anal" when I pointed it out (since the game didn't have the proper/original spacers to fix the issue), which I thought was odd. If you spend $400 on a better display, don't you want the display to perform up to spec?

snaroff

#8632 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

It does turn off the GI during the bonus countdown between balls.

#8633 5 years ago

Okay, so it must just be the stern relay clicking. Thanks all.

#8634 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Hey. Really good pickup I didn’t think most people would grab that. He said something like ‘what we are doing’ and then corrected himself. Could have been a mistake or we could read into it more since that’s we do as pinball people!

Who knows really.
Stern has insanely talented artists now. Would be a no brainer for them to re-release any of these older games with at least better art. Very surprised Star Trek and AC/DC where rerealeased/vaulted with the same art.

Would really love to interview John Borg. Pretend it’s about his latest game and then talk about Tron for an hour

#8635 5 years ago

It’s Christmas in the Grid!

7D60D2C0-B298-46DD-9201-9409D0C45692 (resized).jpeg7D60D2C0-B298-46DD-9201-9409D0C45692 (resized).jpeg
#8636 5 years ago

Got my new pop bumper kit. I wanted the chrome instead of black and last guy wrecked the blue bumper and I just found out why. Holes don't line up and he tried to force it. What can I do here???

2018-12-25-10-49-29 (resized).jpg2018-12-25-10-49-29 (resized).jpgIMG_20181225_104427204 (resized).jpgIMG_20181225_104427204 (resized).jpg
#8637 5 years ago

i used a bolt and nut to hold the cap to the blue piece.

#8638 5 years ago
Quoted from weaverj:

i used a bolt and nut to hold the cap to the blue piece.

Fixed. Thanks for your help. Looking hot!!! The lights the last person installed in them did not light up the bumpers well. They look gorgeous now!!! Thank you!!

#8639 5 years ago

np. yeah, my blue isn't lit very well.

#8640 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Yeah, if Pros got Daft Punk what really is left? Eli's mod is already pretty much as good as the LE fibre optics, and Pros actually have some straight up benefits (eg you can use an LED OCD board on them)

Incorrect! Tron Le ramp lights are brighter and much better coordinated with gameplay.

#8641 5 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Incorrect! Tron Le ramp lights are brighter and much better coordinated with gameplay.

The Redshift kit is better than both. Each ramp can independently run a separate color. The factory LE ramps cannot have different colored ramps at the same time.

#8642 5 years ago

Eli/Pinbits kit can run separate colors, too.

#8643 5 years ago

The Redshift kit is better than both. Each ramp can independently run a separate color. The factory LE ramps cannot have different colored ramps at the same time.

Quoted from weaverj:

Eli/Pinbits kit can run separate colors, too.

Does the game code trigger them to activate like the LE?

#8644 5 years ago

definitely.

#8645 5 years ago

I know they dont due to code but why couldn't they? There are several modes where the flash independent of each other. Also not sure of a time I'd want them separate colors on at the same time.

My only complaint with my LE ramps was the creamed color when off. Fixed that with clear tubes.

#8646 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I know they dont due to code but why couldn't they? There are several modes where the flash independent of each other. Also not sure of a time I'd want them separate colors on at the same time.
My only complaint with my LE ramps was the creamed color when off. Fixed that with clear tubes.

It's just not possible since they are tied to the same RGB outputs, has nothing to do with code. They have independent OFF/ON controls so they can turn on and off independently but they cannot show different colors at the same time.

#8647 5 years ago

It's just not possible since they are tied to the same RGB outputs, has nothing to do with code. They have independent OFF/ON controls so they can turn on and off independently but they cannot show different colors at the same time.

Are you sure? When I did the code for the virtual version of the table we (had a partner) discovered, in the code/matrix, they had separate triggers for the left and right ramps for the RGB activation triggers (there are 6 in the lamp matrix). They aren't identified in the manual though in the lamp matrix thus why we had to discover them vs just read the manual.

Still not sure why you'd want them to anyways. Pro of the LE ramps is it doesn't rely on lamp and switch inputs to identify the routine to use thus the desired routines are only limited by Lymans brain. The pro kits are awesome but I just can't see them as being functionally better.

#8648 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Are you sure? When I did the code for the virtual version of the table we (had a partner) discovered, in the code/matrix, they had separate triggers for the left and right ramps for the RGB activation triggers (there are 6 in the lamp matrix). They aren't identified in the manual though in the lamp matrix thus why we had to discover them vs just read the manual.
Still not sure why you'd want them to anyways. Pro of the LE ramps is it doesn't rely on lamp and switch inputs to identify the routine to use thus the desired routines are only limited by Lymans brain. The pro kits are awesome but I just can't see them as being functionally better.

Yes I'm sure. The aftermarket ramps relying on the switch and lamp matrix is hardly a negative, these inputs are always consistent thus the ramps always behave as intended. The stock LE ramps are limited and the redshift kit has much more functionality, regardless of what Lyman has in the current code. There is literally nothing better about the LE lit ramps other than they came that way and don't require additional hardware.
schem (resized).pngschem (resized).png

#8649 5 years ago

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help with the Tron. Been messing around with some colors. Thought I'd post a pic for thanks

IMG_20181226_211551007 (resized).jpgIMG_20181226_211551007 (resized).jpg
#8650 5 years ago

What brand and size translucent rubbers are proper using on their slings on Tron?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 11,648 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/173 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.