IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3026 (resized).png
IMG_3018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
TRON_SpinDisc Mounted (resized).jpg
IMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 233.
#8101 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

which color are you using?

Got the clear ones........

#8102 5 years ago

About the removal process:

Removing the original black discs took about 45 minutes, it will NOT come off in one piece. I used a chisel blade XActo knife to get the biggest part of it off, then followed up with some mineral spirits on a rag to remove some more of the black rubber. Finally used a fiberglass sanding pen to go over the last of the surface to smooth it out, remove the final remnants of the rubber, and give it a nice surface for the new disc to bond to. I did not use any glue, just the glue that came on the disc, it seemed to have bonded well, and let it rest 24 hours. Others on here had posted about using CA Super Glue to help bond it, so I'll see how well it holds up long term.

#8103 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

About the removal process:
Removing the original black discs took about 45 minutes, it will NOT come off in one piece. I used a chisel blade XActo knife to get the biggest part of it off, then followed up with some mineral spirits on a rag to remove some more of the black rubber. Finally used a fiberglass sanding pen to go over the last of the surface to smooth it out, remove the final remnants of the rubber, and give it a nice surface for the new disc to bond to. I did not use any glue, just the glue that came on the disc, it seemed to have bonded well, and let it rest 24 hours. Others on here had posted about using CA Super Glue to help bond it, so I'll see how well it holds up long term.

I also used just the adhesive that came with the disk and after a few plays, the rubber flew right off the disk and got jammed up in the disk area. I then used rubber glue adhesive and clamped it over night. The disk works great now with no problems.

#8104 5 years ago
Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

I also used just the adhesive that came with the disk and after a few plays, the rubber flew right off the disk and got jammed up in the disk area. I then used rubber glue adhesive and clamped it over night. The disk works great now with no problems.

Interesting, we'll see how mine does, they may or may not have improved the adhesive. Which rubber glue did you use and how did you apply it?

#8105 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Interesting, we'll see how mine does, they may or may not have improved the adhesive. Which rubber glue did you use and how did you apply it?

I used Loctite Adhesive. Get it at Homedepot and it is great for gluing rubber.

Loctite 1 fl. oz. Vinyl, Fabric and Plastic Adhesive

Link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-1-fl-oz-Vinyl-Fabric-and-Plastic-Adhesive-6-Pack-1360694/202502164

loctite-super-glue-1360694-64_1000 (resized).jpgloctite-super-glue-1360694-64_1000 (resized).jpg
#8106 5 years ago

I finished the first set of kits today and have messaged everyone that I had on the list for them (in the US). Those over the pond I had to wait so that I could get shipping quotes for your countries as I don't want to over charge you nor do I really want to eat a bunch of shipping.

Those that got a PM. Please respond even if you no longer are interested so that I can move down the list. I will be shipping most likely Thursday or Sat due to my current schedule with working on our house to get it sold.

#8107 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I finished the first set of kits today and have messaged everyone that I had on the list for them (in the US). Those over the pond I had to wait so that I could get shipping quotes for your countries as I don't want to over charge you nor do I really want to eat a bunch of shipping.
Those that got a PM. Please respond even if you no longer are interested so that I can move down the list. I will be shipping most likely Thursday or Sat due to my current schedule with working on our house to get it sold.

Replied before seeing this message. Will reply again in morning. Have another thought.

#8108 5 years ago

Aww I didn't get a PM

#8109 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Aww I didn't get a PM

I just made another donation to pinside to cover selling these here and to get Pinside+. I should be able to send and receive more PM's now as well as I quickly hit the max apparently....

#8110 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I just made another donation to pinside to cover selling these here and to get Pinside+. I should be able to send and receive more PM's now as well as I quickly hit the max apparently....

I had to do the same with the disc orders, 20 or so pm’s a day was no where near enough.

#8111 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I had to do the same with the disc orders, 20 or so pm’s a day was no where near enough.

Received my discs today. Thanks for putting this together.

#8112 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Disc update!
Batches 3, 4 and 5 where all processed by outbound depot this morning!
All orders for discs and other Tron related parts have now either been shipped (batches 1 and 2) or are now on their way.
Thank you for everyone’s patience while we delt with some important family issues.

Great news!!! thanks...mark

#8113 5 years ago

My Tron LE has a black apron (with the windows for flashers), others LEs I've seen have a chrome apron. Was this an option when it came to buying it? Where can I source a chrome one from?

#8114 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

My Tron LE has a black apron (with the windows for flashers), others LEs I've seen have a chrome apron. Was this an option when it came to buying it? Where can I source a chrome one from?

HOOKED (hookedonpinball.com) has chrome aprons or at least he did.

#8115 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

hooked (hookedonpinball.com) has chrome aprons or at least he did.

Thanks. Do you know if chrome aprons were ever a OEM thing or has anyone with a chrome apron bought it as a mod?

#8116 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Thanks. Do you know if chrome aprons were ever a OEM thing or has anyone with a chrome apron bought it as a mod?

They were not offered from factory.

I’m about to do a limited run of my DMD apron in chrome.

#8117 5 years ago

Wow.. hadn't heard of that before, Googled it and found your other thread.. it looks pretty impressive. Any idea on timescales or cost for it?

#8118 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Wow.. hadn't heard of that before, Googled it and found your other thread.. it looks pretty impressive. Any idea on timescales or cost for it?

TimeBandit products are top quality you wouldn’t be disappointed.

#8119 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

4-5 weeks. Not sure of cost yet. I'm only doing a batch of ten. They will definitely be more than my standard ones, but not sure by how much yet. Chrome guys are a flakey bunch. Must be the fumes.

#8120 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Same. That's pretty cool.

#8121 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Disc update!
Batches 3, 4 and 5 where all processed by outbound depot this morning!
All orders for discs and other Tron related parts have now either been shipped (batches 1 and 2) or are now on their way.
Thank you for everyone’s patience while we delt with some important family issues.

Received my discs today. Thanks!

#8122 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

4-5 weeks. Not sure of cost yet. I'm only doing a batch of ten. They will definitely be more than my standard ones, but not sure by how much yet. Chrome guys are a flakey bunch. Must be the fumes.

Have PM'd you, but please can you put me down for one of these, pending final price.

Has anyone got any photos of their Tron with a Comet LED kit fitted? I don't mean a machine with Comet bulbs, I mean someone who has purchased their kit for the game and installed it. I'm mainly interested in what they've gone with for the GI. There is one photo on the website but would prefer some end user photos if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

#8123 5 years ago

Think I have the comet kit installed

#8124 5 years ago

hopefully they used their ice blue bulbs and not regular blue.

#8125 5 years ago

I got my disks in yesterday. Thank you so much for all your hard work in doing this. It is much appreciated.

-Mok

Quoted from 85vett:

#8126 5 years ago

I got my disks in yesterday. Thank you so much for all your hard work in doing this. It is much appreciated.
-Mok

That was actually J85M.

#8127 5 years ago

Good and bad news:

Good - All US paid for Portal kits/lights have been shipped as of noon today.

Bad (actually really bad) - I got a quote to send one of these kits overseas (to the UK) and it was $85! So, those that are overseas, if you want one I'm more than willing to pack and ship it for you but I really don't think it's worth it to do so. They aren't hard to make if you can soldier and the parts aren't to terribly expensive. Maybe someone in that part of the world would want to make these as well and save you all some serious money. I'm more than happy to help by providing guidance on how to make them but most of that is already posted earlier.

I'm shipping the kits with the brackets in 2x18 tubes that weigh less than 1 pound. Light kits only went in a padded envelope.

#8128 5 years ago

Discs received thanks!

#8129 5 years ago

Awesome really happy to see everyone’s discs are arriving. Any problems please pm me.

Once again apologies for the delays but thanks to everyone for your patience.

#8130 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That was actually J85M.

Whoops. My bad.

Thanks J85M

#8131 5 years ago

Whoops. My bad.
Thanks J85M

Haha no worries Mok, glad your discs arrived.

Checking most the tracking numbers nearly all orders should be with everyone which is a relief!

#8132 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Good and bad news:
Good - All US paid for Portal kits/lights have been shipped as of noon today.
Bad (actually really bad) - I got a quote to send one of these kits overseas (to the UK) and it was $85! So, those that are overseas, if you want one I'm more than willing to pack and ship it for you but I really don't think it's worth it to do so. They aren't hard to make if you can soldier and the parts aren't to terribly expensive. Maybe someone in that part of the world would want to make these as well and save you all some serious money. I'm more than happy to help by providing guidance on how to make them but most of that is already posted earlier.
I'm shipping the kits with the brackets in 2x18 tubes that weigh less than 1 pound. Light kits only went in a padded envelope.

Ouch! I'm guessing that must be the volumetric weight causing that.

I'm still keen. I've bought quite a lot of pinball stuff from America (where all the cool stuff seems to be) before where sadly the cost of shipping has been more than the value of the order, so not that surprised to be honest. I've got a friend who might be going to Houston soon(ish), will find out when he's going as he might be able to get it shipped to him and bring it back in his luggage.

#8133 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Awesome really happy to see everyone’s discs are arriving. Any problems please pm me.
Once again apologies for the delays but thanks to everyone for your patience.

I received my disc a couple days ago. Thank you again!

#8134 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Ouch! I'm guessing that must be the volumetric weight causing that.
I'm still keen. I've bought quite a lot of pinball stuff from America (where all the cool stuff seems to be) before where sadly the cost of shipping has been more than the value of the order, so not that surprised to be honest. I've got a friend who might be going to Houston soon(ish), will find out when he's going as he might be able to get it shipped to him and bring it back in his luggage.

Sounds good. Just let me know in advance to make sure I have material to make more. In between houses for 5-6 months so making them is getting harder to do

#8135 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Checking most the tracking numbers nearly all orders should be with everyone which is a relief!

I received my discs today! Thanks Jon!

#8136 5 years ago

Got my not-with-a-fluorescent-light-tube-bracket kit in the mail yesterday.
I already had a backbox flasher kit that I designed & Pinball Refinery fabricated.
That flasher kit already had a strip going up the middle for the Portal light. Pretty neat when the flasher strip is going & this pulsing strip is also doing its thing.

Installed.
Awesome!

Plenty of cable length. Construction seems solid.

The controller has a bajillion color/animation modes. It takes forever to cycle through them all.
At first, I desired a slower fade in/fade out upward animation in white, maybe blue, but there was some weird flickering as the strip fired the multiple colors to generate white--it didn't look quite right to me.

So, I switched to a sequential on/off upward moving lighting pattern & sped it up. I think I'll stick with this, but it's super easy to change it.

In my case, I made a temporary installation by keeping the adhesive film cover on the LED strip & using Velcro strips to hold the new light strip in place.
This allows for me to adjust its position if desired, and it also allows me to pull off the flasher board & remove it from the game altogether.
I may add a male/female connector pair to this portal strip if & when I know I'm satisfied with it & wish to make it permanent but removable for maintenance.
Before sticking the Velcro, I tacked it in place w/ masking tape to confirm its location.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VhjWzNuo9kYWyt5c9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bM2D2iy8Z3FTf1Db7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pF8EAKsnjSzWa1o19
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JzTwuk4E3G3CsrCa9

And then I played a game...and got a lousy 5 mil... :\

Thanks!
-Jason

Quoted from 85vett:

20180730_222638 (resized).jpg20180730_222638 (resized).jpg20180730_222647 (resized).jpg20180730_222647 (resized).jpg20180730_222702 (resized).jpg20180730_222702 (resized).jpg

#8137 5 years ago

Just received my discs. Thank you Jon!

#8138 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Just received my discs. Thank you Jon!

Yeah I’ve just gone over all the tracking numbers and UPS are crazy random, some packages they delivered within 2 days of the items hitting the US, others have been held in customs for nearly a week awaiting dispatch to some of you guys.

Glad you got your package Brett, so far 53 of 67 packages have arrived, the others still in transit

#8139 5 years ago

Installed 85vett's strip over my flipper fidelity kit today, what a difference! There's literally a million combinations, this is a seriously killer mod. Here's a crappy video, enjoy

#8140 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Installed 85vett's strip over my flipper fidelity kit today, what a difference! There's literally a million combinations, this is a seriously killer mod. Here's a crappy video, enjoy

Wow what a difference. I need to order one.

#8141 5 years ago

COUPLE QUESTIONS: Got my discs today (J85M is the man! thru thick and thin he got them out!) Curious as to which disc set Blue or Clear owners liked better (and why) and also share your application story if possible - i see some used Loc-Tite and some felt that was unnecessary, some sanded surface, some removals did not go well... THANKS!

#8142 5 years ago

No need to thank me, I’m equally as greatful you where all patient enough to wait while we delt with problems at home; great hobby full of great people!!

#8143 5 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Curious as to which disc set Blue or Clear owners liked better (and why) and also share your application story if possible - i see some used Loc-Tite and some felt that was unnecessary, some sanded surface, some removals did not go well... THANKS!

Clear is the most aggressive. Blue is smoother and similar in play to the Black.

I’ve had success soaking the plastic base in some form of goo-gone and applying new discs with rubber cement or epoxy.

#8144 5 years ago

If I'm applying the blue disc to a clean plastic base, should I still plan on using added glue from the start?

#8145 5 years ago
Quoted from cistearns:

If I'm applying the blue disc to a clean plastic base, should I still plan on using added glue from the start?

Certainly won’t cause any harm, well except when you want to remove it and replace it

#8146 5 years ago

Based on what i can tell.... if you go clear, you need the extra glue, if you go blue, so long as surface is very clean, you won't need the glue

#8147 5 years ago

For those of you with experience removing the old black pad - is this what the disc is supposed to look like cleaned up? Foggy where the new pads go? The scratches are from the razor blade I was using with the goo gone. This was such a bitch to do I would prefer not using extra glue....

IMG_8490 (resized).jpgIMG_8490 (resized).jpg
#8148 5 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

For those of you with experience removing the old black pad - is this what the disc is supposed to look like cleaned up? Foggy where the new pads go? The scratches are from the razor blade I was using with the goo gone. This was such a bitch to do I would prefer not using extra glue....
[quoted image]

Looks good to me. They are a little milky where the pad goes when brand new anyways. I went the lazy route and bought a new disc.

#8149 5 years ago

Where do you order a new disc? I have been unable to find!
Thanks!!

#8150 5 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Where do you order a new disc? I have been unable to find!
Thanks!!

Pinballlife, but soak in some goo-gone and a new disc really isn’t needed, other than for ease like Vett mentions above.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/163 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.