(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,244 posts
  • 465 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Alby
  • Topic is favorited by 139 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 394 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(555 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,234 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

391B3511-8217-4786-9917-60F3818D792E (resized).jpeg
D8C6B3B7-A9AD-4EBA-A5B7-F9BF6FBD043F (resized).jpeg
79E9CC73-FBBE-435A-B134-B3F540755ADA (resized).jpeg
961C656A-F8E7-44B8-877E-596B182A6FD5 (resized).jpeg
69897D74-B9C8-461C-B8C9-50597E3D99C1 (resized).jpeg
B2982FC6-34B6-486C-B1C7-42B73C83ED28 (resized).jpeg
6B1A83B5-89F8-4AC4-866D-A768DBC70E2B (resized).jpeg
IMG_2387 (resized).jpeg
9FA77E18-CAA0-4EAA-A751-867C30FDA061 (resized).jpeg
20190810_102415 (resized).jpg
20190807_192459 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190805_160626[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_20190805_160432[1] (resized).jpg
2FB6440D-16E6-4D6D-87A5-63BBC222C073 (resized).jpeg
E7174D80-1D56-49B2-A4ED-8BE503946607 (resized).jpeg
E582F3F8-F368-48D6-8C2D-FA9B53F14B11 (resized).jpeg

There are 9244 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 185.
#7851 1 year ago

Order is in, will be coming in two parts due to amount of parts being ordered, I’ll do my best to pm everyone tonight/over the course of the next couple nights and once items arrive my end send them out hopefully in the order people signed up or as close as possible, I have admittedly lost track a little due to the sheer amount of people.

#7852 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Order is in, will be coming in two parts due to amount of parts being ordered, I’ll do my best to pm everyone tonight/over the course of the next couple nights and once items arrive my end send them out hopefully in the order people signed up or as close as possible, I have admittedly lost track a little due to the sheer amount of people.

I know it takes a lot of time and effort to do this. Thank you very much, it’s really appreciated!

#7853 1 year ago

How bright should the LE fibre optics be? I've only had my LE a couple of days, but the ramps look noticeably dimmer than YouTube videos I've watched. They otherwise work as you'd expect, changing colours etc.

Don't know if my expectations are too high? Is there any setting or tweak that increases the brightness?

#7854 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

How bright should the LE fibre optics be? I've only had my LE a couple of days, but the ramps look noticeably dimmer than YouTube videos I've watched. They otherwise work as you'd expect, changing colours etc.
Don't know if my expectations are too high? Is there any setting or tweak that increases the brightness?

The LE’s opaque fibres aren’t as bright as the clear fibres used on some Pro’s. It could be down to whatever transmits the light at each end though.

Which videos do you mean?

#7855 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

The LE’s opaque fibres aren’t as bright as the clear fibres used on some Pro’s. It could be down to whatever transmits the light at each end though.
Which videos do you mean?

Just random LE gameplay ones really - e.g.

#7856 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

No settings, but make sure the fibres are seated properly in the metal housings. Make sure the fibres are fully inserted and butted right up against the LEDs inside.

#7857 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

No settings, but make sure the fibres are seated properly in the blue metal housings. Make sure the fibres are fully inserted and butted right up against the LEDs inside.

Thanks, will have a look. It has just been transported so that's possible. Or it could be normal and my expectations are too high.

#7858 1 year ago

Think it was just my eyes. Played a few games before bed and it was bright enough. Think possibly the reflection from an LED strip light on the ceiling was making it hard to see.

Next question I've cleaned and waxed it without stripping it down, but the loop around the back is still dirty. It's impossible to get to with the ramps on. Is there any way besides removing the ramps to get to it? e.g. removing the wooden panel at the back of the playfield? It looks pretty involved to remove the ramps

#7859 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Think it was just my eyes. Played a few games before bed and it was bright enough. Think possibly the reflection from an LED strip light on the ceiling was making it hard to see.
Next question I've cleaned and waxed it without stripping it down, but the loop around the back is still dirty. It's impossible to get to with the ramps on. Is there any way besides removing the ramps to get to it? e.g. removing the wooden panel at the back of the playfield? It looks pretty involved to remove the ramps

Getting ramps off Tron is one of the easier ones. It's worth it. You'll get everything looking like new under there. Just go around with a screwdriver and take out everything holding down the ramp (less than a dozen screws), lift off, done. You don't need to take them all the way out of the machine. You would have to disconnect the fibres to do that. You just need to move them out of the way.

Taking ramps off is something you should get used to anyway.

#7860 1 year ago

Agreed, Tron ramps are some if the easier ones. With LE its slightly tougher but still pretty easy and much easier than removing the back panel. When reinstalling just don't over tighten the ramp tube lights. Just finger tight is enough.

#7861 1 year ago

Curious on the LE... is there a hook for the colors of the ramps... what I mean is, can I connect somewhere to have a set of rgb leds? I’d like to have something outside of the game be controlled by the ramp lighting system.

#7862 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Curious on the LE... is there a hook for the colors of the ramps... what I mean is, can I connect somewhere to have a set of rgb leds? I’d like to have something outside of the game be controlled by the ramp lighting system.

There's no easy plug to go to, but conceptually it's not difficult. It might be fiddly, and there are varying degrees of quality job you can do.

Easiest (but crappiest) way is to just hang off the individual colour connections on the actual LED. You would have to join wires up to the R, G and B pads/traces of the factory LEDs and power. This will light up your LED at the same time the factory one is lit. Lots of potential problems with this route though as you don't know the safe current draw and you will short something out probably (ask me how I know, ).

Next best is to use those same connections to drive a transistor gate and independently power your LEDs. I would favour this and can help you find the best place to tap in if you want (with the aid of pics..I sold my LE).

Best way is to intercept the data line, decode it and use the signal to drive your LEDs as in the second approach.

#7863 1 year ago

Question for the collective: my newly acquired TRON came with two translites: 3D and Quorra/Gem. On mine the Quorra/Gem translite seems to be from a much thinner and less rigid material than other translites I have, not counting the 3D TRON which obviously is thicker due to the 3D process. Is this normal for the Quorra/Gem translite??

#7864 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Question for the collective: my newly acquired TRON came with two translites: 3D and Quorra/Gem. On mine the Quorra/Gem translite seems to be from a much thinner and less rigid material than other translites I have, not counting the 3D TRON which obviously is thicker due to the 3D process. Is this normal for the Quorra/Gem translite??

Yeah, stock stern translites are thin.

#7865 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, stock stern translites are thin.

Yeah, but this seems thinner than some other Stern ones I have.....

#7866 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Yeah, but this seems thinner than some other Stern ones I have.....

What other ones? It seemed the same thickness as my other stern's but thinner than my older wms/gottlieb translites.

#7867 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What other ones? It seemed the same thickness as my other stern's but thinner than my older wms/gottlieb translites.

Stern Spider-Man and Avengers are two others I handled recently. Just was wondering if there were any repro Quorra/Gem ones made due to their popularity, although the print quality is on par with other Sterns....

#7868 1 year ago

There are repro Quorra/Gem translights. I had one and sold it . I received the Stern version from a friend but it felt no thicker.

#7869 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

More
Getting ramps off Tron is one of the easier ones. It's worth it. You'll get everything looking like new under there. Just go around with a screwdriver and take out everything holding down the ramp (less than a dozen screws), lift off, done. You don't need to take them all the way out of the machine. You would have to disconnect the fibres to do that. You just need to move them out of the way.
Taking ramps off is something you should get used to anyway.

There are several switches and flashers on it too, don't they have to be disconnected as well?

#7870 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

More
There are several switches and flashers on it too, don't they have to be disconnected as well?

Yes, but those are just Z connectors and are color coded already under the PF. Do it right and take the time to pull the ramps off.

#7871 1 year ago

For the hallmark cycles. I create a separate thread so anyone that may have the same issue down the line could find it in a search. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-light-cycle-help

If you have any clues on why mine smoked out please let me know.

#7872 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

For the hallmark cycles. I create a separate thread so anyone that may have the same issue down the line could find it in a search. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-light-cycle-help
If you have any clues on why mine smoked out please let me know.

Unless something shorted out you did nothing wrong with the installation method. That's how everyone has theirs hooked up, whether it's constant power or tied to some other lamp in the game.

#7873 1 year ago

Guys are you all happy to send PayPal via friends and family? If anyone isn’t either let me know below or via pm. I will have everyone’s packages fully tracked and insured for peace of mind and security for yourselves as well as me.

#7874 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Guys are you all happy to send PayPal via friends and family? If anyone isn’t either let me know below or via pm. I will have everyone’s packages fully tracked and insured for peace of mind and security for yourselves as well as me.

NP here. Thanks again

#7875 1 year ago

Yeah man, I always extend the courtesy of friends and family to pinsiders. I imagine everybody else here does the same.

#7876 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Yeah man, I always extend the courtesy of friends and family to pinsiders. I imagine everybody else here does the same.

I do the same, but I just like to politely ask in advance.

Right now I have re-donated to Pinside and can send more than 15-20 pms a day I will get all these invoices out... hopefully.

Please bare with me guys this might take me a good few hours as I have 28 of you here and another 17 for other game parts, could be a long night

mk6pin = 3 x clear
delt31 = 3 x clear + 2 x blue
brett = 3 x clear
twinmice = 2 x clear
andrewket = 2 x clear
85vett = 3 x clear
chosen_s = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
gorillabiscuits = 3 x clear
mokthemagicman = 3 x clear
herg = 3 x clear
kickabit = 3 x clear
saveleaningtower = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
wvpinball = 2 x clear
cistearns = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
blacktoothgrin = 2 x clear
silverballer = 2 x clear
northvibe = 1 x clear
macjedi = 2 x clear + 1 x key chain
jeffr = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
racerx61 = 2 x clear
bojo = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
superbob = 2 x clear
dzmechanical = 2 x clear + 2 x blue
dante = 2 x clear
menacefire = 2 x clear
boomerski = 2 x clear
moonwk = 2 x clear

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/157#post-4426502

#7877 1 year ago

Oh yeah could someone post up a clear photo of the TRON backboard for me? I am at work tonight so no where near my game but could do with a nice photo of the backboard - its for a mod idea

#7878 1 year ago

Before I get an inrush of pm's, yes I forgot to add my PayPal address to the first couple rounds of pm's.

I will send a follow up message as I go to those who got a pm without any PayPal information and on that note:

00 doh (resized).jpg
#7879 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You don't need to take them all the way out of the machine. You would have to disconnect the fibres to do that. You just need to move them out of the way.

Just an opinion... he should take them all the way out. Tron is pretty easy to do it on, so it would be a good learning experience. Plus with the ramps still attached by the wires, your more likely to push a ramp out of the way and have the ramp flap drag across the playfield. I think if he’s inexperienced it would be safer to just take them all the way out.

#7880 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Oh yeah could someone post up a clear photo of the TRON backboard for me? I am at work tonight so no where near my game but could do with a nice photo of the backboard - its for a mod idea

This what you needed?

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
#7881 1 year ago

How easy is it to remove the backboard from the game temporarily?

#7882 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

How easy is it to remove the backboard from the game temporarily?

Not easy, especially for an LE. I cheated and got a picture from the spare plastic set that came with my game. Looking at it now, it looks like the spare set is for a pro though as their isn't a hole in the back plastic.

#7883 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

This what you needed?

Yeah that’s perfect thank you!

#7884 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Unless something shorted out you did nothing wrong with the installation method. That's how everyone has theirs hooked up, whether it's constant power or tied to some other lamp in the game.

Figured it out. I made the dumb assumption that the top row on the PIG was 5v and the bottom was 12V due to the labeling of the lights on the board. I didn't realize that all of them did 12v and 5v and when I plugged it in I plugged into 12V thus the smoke.

In other words, don't be an idiot

Got them both working now. The only problem now is the Clu is brighter than the Sam since I had to add some comet LED's to the Clu since I blew up the factory board. Maybe one day I will take the Sam one apart and do the same but for now I'm just ready to play it and have fun.

#7885 1 year ago

Will send out more pms tonight guys so if you haven’t had one already don’t worry I’m working my way round, I had to sort out at least some of the IM, TWD and SW owners

Also got over half a dozen people who haven’t replied to the first couple waves of pms, so please check your inboxes.

#7886 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Not easy, especially for an LE. I cheated and got a picture from the spare plastic set that came with my game. Looking at it now, it looks like the spare set is for a pro though as their isn't a hole in the back plastic.

Thanks. How come it's not easy? It looks like you remove the two flashers and then you have 4 actual screws to remove to get it off? Is there something I'm missing, or is it just hard to access it back there?

#7887 1 year ago

Also - does anyone know if the LED OCD board works with the Tron LE insert LEDs (i.e. the ones hardwired to the boards, fitted from the factory) ?

EDIT: Found out the answer - no, it doesn't. That's a bit gutting

#7888 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Thanks. How come it's not easy? It looks like you remove the two flashers and then you have 4 actual screws to remove to get it off? Is there something I'm missing, or is it just hard to access it back there?

You actually don't have to remove the flashers. Just unplug them. What you would have to remove would be the GI lights as I don't believe they have a separate plug. What makes it harder on the LE is the moving recognizer assembly would have to be removed where the pro doesn't have that feature.

#7889 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Also - does anyone know if the LED OCD board works with the Tron LE insert LEDs (i.e. the ones hardwired to the boards, fitted from the factory) ?

One of the big reasons I went Pro (alongside obvious price vs value differential).

As you know, I HATE the harsh blinky lighting on the SAM premium models. It was a contributing factor in selling TWD LE, and replacing it with a Pro (I’m counting on TimeBandit to release Total Lightshow for TWD now though, to restore that awesome red pulsing GI).

The premiums seem to use a serial lighting comms system.

#7890 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

You actually don't have to remove the flashers. Just unplug them. What you would have to remove would be the GI lights as I don't believe they have a separate plug. What makes it harder on the LE is the moving recognizer assembly would have to be removed where the pro doesn't have that feature.

Thanks. Didn't realise the Recognizer would have to be removed, didn't realise it was connected to the backboard.

Guess it's a toss up between removing the ramps and removing the backboard in difficulty terms, as I'd like to clean the rear orbit

#7891 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

One of the big reasons I went Pro (alongside obvious price vs value differential).
As you know, I HATE the harsh blinky lighting on the SAM premium models. It was a contributing factor in selling TWD LE, and replacing it with a Pro (I’m counting on TimeBandit to release Total Lightshow for TWD now though, to restore that awesome red pulsing GI).
The premiums seem to use a serial lighting comms system.

Guess my eyes aren't that sensitive anymore as I don't notice any harsh blinky lighting on my LE. Light movement is nice and smooth to me.

#7892 1 year ago

Hi all tron lovers. I have been having a problem. I recently got a tron LE but I noticed that while I’m in the game the flippers stop working, the playfield goes dark, and the game ends. There is no tilt message. It particularly happens when I’m in the disc mode. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

#7893 1 year ago

Does it give your bonus count? If so, 95% chance it's the opto boards in the through. Just reseat them by unplugging them and plugging them back in. That works almost all the time and is a very common issues on the older stern games.

#7894 1 year ago

Anyone have a Quorra car from their Pro that they removed to install the light cycles? I'm looking to pick one up so PM me how much you want if you have one you are willing to let go of it.

Willing to trade a pinbits pop bumper kit or florescent plastic protector kit for one if you would like or can always trade for cash.

#7895 1 year ago

I think it is just the one as here on eBay ebay.com link » Tron Legacy Series 1 Three Vehicles Diecast New In Package

#7896 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I think it is just the one as here on eBay ebay.com link » Tron Legacy Series 1 Three Vehicles Diecast New In Package

That would be it!

If you just want the Quorra car, here's one: ebay.com link » Spin Master Disney Tron Legacy Die Cast Light Runner

#7897 1 year ago

Hmmm... I actually already have one of those. I could have sworn the ones that came on the game had a green canopy cover on them.

Was their another version or have I really just lost my mind?

#7898 1 year ago

Ok. I will check this tonight. Thank you

#7899 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Hmmm... I actually already have one of those. I could have sworn the ones that came on the game had a green canopy cover on them.
Was their another version or have I really just lost my mind?

No green canopy on mine, however I did put some green LEDs in it and mount it over the Quorra spinner lane.

#7900 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

The good news...on the LE, you don't really need it (imho)...Herg's boards are a must on alot of my machines...this isn't one of them....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 26.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 9244 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 185.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside