(Topic ID: 54093)

Official TRON lovefest thread, I love it more than Lightning Kitty.

By centerflank

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9,105 posts
  • 459 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by davidlldennis
  • Topic is favorited by 135 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Is TRON super awesome or are you a hater?”

• TRON is unreal, centerflank is supersmart. 391 votes
    71%
  • TRON blows, voters for this option have a small dingy :( 102 votes
    18%
  • Never played TRON, but if Centerflank likes it, it must be fun!!!! 59 votes
    11%

(552 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,210 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190717_223502 (resized).jpg
47D07733-284E-4812-87F0-31B32A0749E1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190710_202128 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190710_202142 (resized).jpg
C4493447-55BA-4E97-91CD-FE3D8011CE20 (resized).jpeg
32A256A0-7748-489D-8BEA-474C2BA6DC28 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
848E2FEB-2D09-4E84-AE02-B08535EA8840 (resized).jpeg
7659CA12-B1FA-413E-B217-A6AB25B66472 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3239 (resized).jpg
IMG_3237 (resized).jpg
IMG_3201 (resized).jpg
IMG_3198 (resized).jpg
IMG_3197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1930 (resized).JPG
2 (resized).jpg

There are 9105 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 183.
#7801 1 year ago

Confirmed

#7802 1 year ago

Confirmed

#7803 1 year ago

If it’s not too late I will take 2 of the clears.

#7804 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

It’s a bank holiday/Memorial Day weekend so will give it till Tuesday to put the order in, but need more than 8 people out of 22 to confirm before putting this order in, it’s several hundred euros worth.
If more/everyone listed in this post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/156#post-4418937 can confirm that would be great.

Confirmed

#7805 1 year ago

Confirmed

#7806 1 year ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m going to disagree with others here. I like the blue DMD better in Tron. I love ColorDMD in some games, but not Tron.
The one thing the blue needed was a polarizing filter. When I first put it in, it was too bright. Then a friend gave me a blue shield with a polarizing filter that he used to have on his Tron. That made it perfect.

I have the blue DMD with blue filter, it looks bad to the bone. Fits the theme and art perfect and the dots looks great.

It came with the game, so it'd depend on the price whether I went with that or a ColorDMD if I had the choice. I first saw the LED color DMD on Tron and it blew me away.

#7807 1 year ago
Quoted from RVApinballer:

I have the blue DMD with blue filter, it looks bad to the bone. Fits the theme and art perfect and the dots looks great.
It came with the game, so it'd depend on the price whether I went with that or a ColorDMD if I had the choice. I first saw the LED color DMD on Tron and it blew me away.

I used to have blue too - it def looks good. You can sell it for about 200 and then apply that to the color so it's really only an upgrade of 200 or so. For that I said OK, lets do it.

#7808 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I could get #161 flashers for under the disc?

My Pro has 4 reds, but was thinking about a colour change... if affordable.

92026DC4-2578-4C64-ACCC-6FC7F3B4AC24 (resized).jpeg

#7809 1 year ago

Confirmed thanks

#7810 1 year ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Does anyone know where I could get #161 flashers for under the disc?
My Pro has 4 reds, but was thinking about a colour change... if affordable.

Here is what I use. You need flashers to handle the high voltage but you also need a small enough LED that will physically fit under the disc. Do not worry that it doesn't mention #161 bulb, it is a perfect replacement. If you don't like the red you should try yellow. Matches the blue/yellow theme of the game.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smdflash.htm (choose the wedge base)

#7811 1 year ago

Joined the club, from My Parent's Basement to my basement:

IMG_6129.JPG

IMG_6132.JPG

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6136.JPG

IMG_6138.JPG

#7812 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Joined the club, from My Parent's Basement to my basement:

Noice.

Your parents did a great job modding it!

#7813 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Here is what I use. You need flashers to handle the high voltage but you also need a small enough LED that will physically fit under the disc. Do not worry that it doesn't mention #161 bulb, it is a perfect replacement. If you don't like the red you should try yellow. Matches the blue/yellow theme of the game.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smdflash.htm (choose the wedge base)

Cheers.

Same voltage? Or should i expect them to burn out ever-so-slightly sooner than the stock bulbs... which are probably old gen LEDs compared to more modern SMD standards... ?

#7814 1 year ago

Noice.
Your parents did a great job modding it!

Thanks.......but My “Parents Basement” is a comic book store in Atlanta that also has 8-10 pins set up on location.

#7815 1 year ago

Cheers.
Same voltage? Or should i expect them to burn out ever-so-slightly sooner than the stock bulbs... which are probably old gen LEDs compared to more modern SMD standards... ?

Those LEDs I linked are 12V and can be used in place of any flashers. They will not burn out sooner. I have seen some people put standard 6.3V LEDs in that location, because the stock #161 bulb does not look like a flasher at all and they think it's a regular GI or insert LED. Of course 6.3V LEDs will fail very soon if used as disc flashers.

#7816 1 year ago

Does the standard cointaker full kit contain the correct LEDs for the disc flashers?

#7817 1 year ago

Man, so glad you’re doing the clear disc order... mine just ate it after 20 plays. I used a new plastic to attach it to and thought it would work well with the stock adhesive... NOPE!

Could anybody that’s had success with the 3M spray adhesive please link me to it so I can pick some up?

Ug, bummer I gotta switch back to the black I got really addicted to the speed of the clear haha.

37F527F7-8229-49DC-9D92-49F184E70B6B (resized).jpeg

#7818 1 year ago

Here's what I used. Close to 1,000 plays and holding strong. Picked it up at Lowe's.
20180529_124441 (resized).jpg

#7819 1 year ago

Those are odds I can live with, thank you!

#7820 1 year ago

Confirmed and thank you.

#7821 1 year ago

Confirmed

#7822 1 year ago

Cool guys I’ll update the list tonight including all pms and those confirmed.

#7823 1 year ago

Hey J85M, I sent you a PM about the disks. Thanks!

#7824 1 year ago

Just got it dude, will update and add to list tonight and look to get this order done over the course of this week.

Due to the memorial weekend (bank holiday here in the U.K.) I ended up giving it a little longer for existing people to confirm and new ones to jump on board.

#7826 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Man, so glad you’re doing the clear disc order... mine just ate it after 20 plays. I used a new plastic to attach it to and thought it would work well with the stock adhesive... NOPE!
Could anybody that’s had success with the 3M spray adhesive please link me to it so I can pick some up?
Ug, bummer I gotta switch back to the black I got really addicted to the speed of the clear haha.

Check the early threads on this.....this is what you want:

tron disc adhesive (resized).jpg

#7827 1 year ago

Confirmed

#7828 1 year ago

Anyone know where to source a chasing LED light strip that can be cut down to about 12 inches? I want to make an active backglass for my game and would like to put the chaser lights at the portal so it looks like it's moving. I saw it once years ago and can't seem to find anything light strips that look like they would work.

#7829 1 year ago

OK, I know I may get crap for this, but the only thing I don't like about the LE was the cream colored light tubes for the ramps. So, I bought some clear side glow to swap them out with. Will keep the cream colored ones in case I ever sell (over my dead body) or if I wind up not liking it.

I'll post some before and after pics but my assumption is it will basically mirror the aesthetics of the Eli kit.

The wire I purchased is slightly larger (about 1mm) but still fits in the light housings. With a quick light test it appears to transfer the light cleaner and potentially a bit brighter as well. Time will tell. Experiment takes place this weekend.

I'll also take the time to black out the tube under the PF so I get rid of the light fade into some inserts that is currently occurring.

wire (resized).jpg

#7830 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

OK, I know I may get crap for this, but the only thing I don't like about the LE was the cream colored light tubes for the ramps. So, I bought some clear side glow to swap them out with. Will keep the cream colored ones in case I ever sell (over my dead body) or if I wind up not liking it.
I'll post some before and after pics but my assumption is it will basically mirror the aesthetics of the Eli kit.
The wire I purchased is slightly larger (about 1mm) but still fits in the light housings. With a quick light test it appears to transfer the light cleaner and potentially a bit brighter as well. Time will tell. Experiment takes place this weekend.
I'll also take the time to black out the tube under the PF so I get rid of the light fade into some inserts that is currently occurring.

Very nice, hope it works out great. I have the Redshift/TotalLightShow ramp kit in my Pro which uses clear tubing and it looks awesome. I was never thrilled with the cloudy looking stuff that came on the LEs.

#7831 1 year ago

OK guys here is the final list with your confirmed orders

With the exception of 1 or 2 additional names (I have pm'd and replied to your pm's) that maybe added to the list, I am making this the cut off post, already about 3 times the amount of people I thought would want a disc so this is it.

mk6pin = 3 x clear
delt31 = 3 x clear + 2 x blue
brett = 3 x clear
twinmice = 2 x clear
andrewket = 2 x clear
85vett = 3 x clear
chosen_s = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
gorillabiscuits = 3 x clear
mokthemagicman = 3 x clear
herg = 3 x clear
kickabit = 3 x clear
saveleaningtower = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
wvpinball = 2 x clear
cistearns = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
blacktoothgrin = 2 x clear
silverballer = 2 x clear
northvibe = 1 x clear
macjedi = 2 x clear + 1 x key chain
jeffr = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
racerx61 = 2 x clear
bojo = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
superbob = 2 x clear
dzmechanical = 2 x clear + 2 x blue
dante = 2 x clear
menacefire = 2 x clear
boomerski = 2 x clear
moonwk = 2 x clear

Again a thumbs up or a confirmed post below from anyone who hasn't already done so, just to double check and give me peace of mind I haven't f'd up anyone's numbers or orders would be great, I have noted those that have already thumbed up or done a confirmed post previously, so thanks for that guys.

I am going to place this order tomorrow or Friday to check stock as well as get a total shipping price from Germany to the UK, so I can divide that accordingly. I will then send everyone a pm with their order and invoice breakdown, plus my personal PayPal info, can you guys confirm your shipping address "both" in a reply to your pm and in your PayPal payment comments along with your Pinside ID so I can keep track of who is who as easily as possible.

#7832 1 year ago

Confirmed thumbs up from me. Thanks J85M!

Quoted from J85M:

OK guys here is the final list with your confirmed orders
With the exception of 1 or 2 additional names (I have pm'd and replied to your pm's) that maybe added to the list, I am making this the cut off post, already about 3 times the amount of people I thought would want a disc so this is it.
mk6pin = 3 x clear
delt31 = 3 x clear + 2 x blue
brett = 3 x clear
twinmice = 2 x clear
andrewket = 2 x clear
85vett = 3 x clear
chosen_s = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
gorillabiscuits = 3 x clear
mokthemagicman = 3 x clear
herg = 3 x clear
kickabit = 3 x clear
saveleaningtower = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
wvpinball = 2 x clear
cistearns = 1 x clear + 1 x blue
blacktoothgrin = 2 x clear
silverballer = 2 x clear
northvibe = 1 x clear
macjedi = 2 x clear + 1 x key chain
jeffr = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
racerx61 = 2 x clear
bojo = 2 x clear + 1 x blue
superbob = 2 x clear
dzmechanical = 2 x clear + 2 x blue
dante = 2 x clear
menacefire = 2 x clear
boomerski = 2 x clear
moonwk = 2 x clear
Again a thumbs up or a confirmed post below from anyone who hasn't already done so, just to double check and give me peace of mind I haven't f'd up anyone's numbers or orders would be great, I have noted those that have already thumbed up or done a confirmed post previously, so thanks for that guys.
I am going to place this order tomorrow or Friday to check stock as well as get a total shipping price from Germany to the UK, so I can divide that accordingly. I will then send everyone a pm with their order and invoice breakdown, plus my personal PayPal info, can you guys confirm your shipping address "both" in a reply to your pm and in your PayPal payment comments along with your Pinside ID so I can keep track of who is who as easily as possible.

#7833 1 year ago

I did this exact mod to my 3D backglass few months ago. Here is the led strip I used. https://amzn.to/2xqPI5Y Works great and you can adjust the speed and color you want for the light chase. Looks awesome on my Tron Pin. Love it!

Quoted from 85vett:

Anyone know where to source a chasing LED light strip that can be cut down to about 12 inches? I want to make an active backglass for my game and would like to put the chaser lights at the portal so it looks like it's moving. I saw it once years ago and can't seem to find anything light strips that look like they would work.

#7834 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Kim over at KimballsPinballs did the chasing backbox lighting.

#7835 1 year ago

Here is a video of my led in action if curious on what mine looks like.

Quoted from 85vett:

#7836 1 year ago
Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

Here is a video of my led in action if curious on what mine looks like.

Mok that looks f’in awesome! Any chance you could pm a list of what you used, did you do anything to diffuse the strip? As some of the ones I’ve seen done, you can practically see the individual LEDs on the strip, yours looks diffused which matches the look of the Portal perfectly

#7837 1 year ago

Thanks. Just the distance from the backglass gives it proper diffuse. When I bought the Tron pin, the backglass already had a Flipper Fidelity backglass mod on it (but it was an old one that didn't animate). It just lit areas of the glass with various bulbs. Since it has a surface to now work with I just painter taped up the led strips to the inside surface and plugged in the led to the internal power service outlet. Works great and can easily be removed if needed. Super easy mod.

Quoted from J85M:

Mok that looks f’in awesome! Any chance you could pm a list of what you used, did you do anything to diffuse the strip? As some of the ones I’ve seen done, you can practically see the individual LEDs on the strip, yours looks diffused which matches the look of the Portal perfectly

#7838 1 year ago

MGC 2018, I was surprised to witness (and film) an unboxing of a first run Tron!

Lucky I had my camera ready.

Enjoy
Jeremy & the Pinball Mayhem team

#7839 1 year ago
Quoted from Mokthemagicman:

I did this exact mod to my 3D backglass few months ago. Here is the led strip I used. https://amzn.to/2xqPI5Y Works great and you can adjust the speed and color you want for the light chase. Looks awesome on my Tron Pin. Love it!

Appreciate it. That one is no longer offered but I ordered this one. amazon.com link »

Says it's supposed to have a chase feature. Should be easy enough to hook into my 12v slot on my PIG. Not sure when I will tackle this project as I need to finish my ramp project first and the shop/mod job I'm working on now but will post up pics/video when done if I get it done.

#7840 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Very nice, hope it works out great. I have the Redshift/TotalLightShow ramp kit in my Pro which uses clear tubing and it looks awesome. I was never thrilled with the cloudy looking stuff that came on the LEs.

Got the ramps cleaned, flame polished and new light tubes installed. Also wired up some hallmark light cycles and installed them. Hope to get the game back together tonight to test it out.

2 (resized).jpg

Only made it this far last night. Full tear down completed. PF cleaned, polished and waxed and repopulation restarted. Went with Titan translucent rubbers for this game so hopefully it will look and play nice. Also swapping in some Ice blue lights for the GI. Don't normally change colors to often but for some reason blue is calling out to me and I felt reg blue may be to dark. Will see how it looks and will swap back to cool white if it doesn't look good.

1 (resized).jpg

#7841 1 year ago

Working on the arcade version 3. Anyone know where the 6 pin connector plugs into? I assume the 2 pin goes to the plug from the factory one. No instructions are with it.

#7842 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Working on the arcade version 3. Anyone know where the 6 pin connector plugs into? I assume the 2 pin goes to the plug from the factory one. No instructions are with it.

Plugs into the unused 6 pin connector in the head. Here are the instructions I received:

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m554/myebaystuff1/Tron%20Mini-Arcade%20cabinet%20install%20instructions/

#7843 1 year ago

Thanks!

#7844 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

No crap given, but the diffused tubes absolutely make the fiber glow perfectly for me....seen the clear, but never in person....bet it looks great, too!!!!

#7845 1 year ago

Hi all

Quick question.. does a Tron LE use the standard LED kit that Comet sells? I realise the inserts have LEDs, but I've been led to believe Stern LEDs are all on the boards?

#7846 1 year ago

i'm not sure there was OEM LED's on TRON.

#7847 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Hi all
Quick question.. does a Tron LE use the standard LED kit that Comet sells? I realise the inserts have LEDs, but I've been led to believe Stern LEDs are all on the boards?

The inserts on the LE are small circuit boards, like under the lock down bar buttons on other games. Pro was all incandescent from factory.
So, no, don’t buy an LED kit for an LE.

#7848 1 year ago

Got the ramps done. Here are a couple comparison pics. Hard to compare as I changed the gi out as well. Not sure I'm liking the ice blue gi. A bit to much blue. May have to play with things. Also not sure about the ramps. Love it when they are off but not as vibrant when on. I think the gi is mainly at fault for that though.
20180531_125058 (resized).jpg20180601_225544 (resized).jpg20180531_125112 (resized).jpg20180601_225557 (resized).jpg20180601_225505 (resized).jpg

#7849 1 year ago

Also when i was taking these pics my clu light cycle started smoking in the front. I wired it and the flynn cycle together on the same plug to my 5v pig. What could I have done wrong (or just a bad cycle?). Ironically after it cooled down I tested it and all the lights came back on too.

I lit them by soldering to the battery compartment. Positive on spring side on both.

#7850 1 year ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Got the ramps done. Here are a couple comparison pics. Hard to compare as I changed the gi out as well. Not sure I'm liking the ice blue gi. A bit to much blue. May have to play with things. Also not sure about the ramps. Love it when they are off but not as vibrant when on. I think the gi is mainly at fault for that though.

That’s a sexy looking pin, can’t say that for most... sorry, I can’t help on the light cycle

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 9105 posts in this topic. You are on page 157 of 183.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside