IMG_9848 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3022 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3026 (resized).png
IMG_3018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
TRON_SpinDisc Mounted (resized).jpg
IMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 233.
#6751 7 years ago

Do you know about how many plays? Or is it in home or public use? Just curious.

I appreciate the input, thank you!

..of course you're inspiring me to again increase my collection of adhesives .

#6752 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

wasn't wild about the colorDMD in Tron. In some games I adore it, but it never seemed worth it in Tron. So I still had the original plasma display. I just swapped it out for an Xpin blue DMD, and I just LOVE it. I think it looks fantastic!

I totally agree with you on the colordmd not working on tron when it's the LED version. Colors don't pop and it's washed out. But,
I will tell you, I installed the colordmd LED version and you should see the colors pop now. Night and day! Check that out when you can. My friend saw it and ordered it the next day!

#6753 7 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

Do you know about how many plays? Or is it in home or public use? Just curious.
I appreciate the input, thank you!
..of course you're inspiring me to again increase my collection of adhesives .

It is home use. I'd guess it has about 1,500 plays since the disk was reinstalled. I'm very skeptical of Stern support saying the original bonding was done using a cyanoacrylate. Removing the old disc was crazy hard and the adhesive was black and a heavy body like maybe a hot Scotch-weld.

#6754 7 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

I totally agree with you on the colordmd not working on tron when it's the LED version. Colors don't pop and it's washed out. But,
I will tell you, I installed the colordmd LED version and you should see the colors pop now. Night and day! Check that out when you can. My friend saw it and ordered it the next day!

Confused. You say the LED is better than the LED?

#6755 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Confused. You say the LED is better than the LED?

No, he said the ColorDMD LED is better than the BLUE LED.

--Donnie

#6756 7 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

No, he said the ColorDMD LED is better than the BLUE LED.

Yes. ColorDMD "LED" is better than the Blue LED. The colors are bright and vibrant which makes Tron stand out more than the LCD style
colordmd

#6757 7 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

It is home use. I'd guess it has about 1,500 plays since the disk was reinstalled. I'm very skeptical of Stern support saying the original bonding was done using a cyanoacrylate. Removing the old disc was crazy hard and the adhesive was black and a heavy body like maybe a hot Scotch-weld.

It was listed by marcd in a couple of auxiliary threads as to what Stern had said was originally used. I haven't asked personally, but Stern has given me good information when I've asked.

My Tron was on location for about 7 months, it was the most played in the lineup, but at the time I was rocking the loctite 200 spray (3 months, and then replaced and got another 4 months plus what it still sees at home). I've only used the loctite 460 when the ring lifted up a bit, and that was toward the end of it's stint at the bar. The disc has held up well enough since, and the bond seemed serious. The game doesn't see nearly as much play at home, so it isn't exactly a great comparison to what I had been using.

Though, now that I've looked up that word I'd never seen before, that means the 460 is a form of super glue. I had used super glue to fix a lift up prior to PAGG, and it seemed to dry out the disc, which soon resulted in chunks just breaking off. Tron will likely be put back to test at PAGG this year.

Thank you for your info.

#6758 7 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Yes. ColorDMD "LED" is better than the Blue LED. The colors are bright and vibrant which makes Tron stand out more than the LCD style
colordmd

IMG_0911 (resized).JPGIMG_0911 (resized).JPG

#6759 7 years ago
Quoted from CaryCarmichael:

It was listed by marcd in a couple of auxiliary threads as to what Stern had said was originally used. I haven't asked personally, but Stern has given me good information when I've asked.
My Tron was on location for about 7 months, it was the most played in the lineup, but at the time I was rocking the loctite 200 spray (3 months, and then replaced and got another 4 months plus what it still sees at home). I've only used the loctite 460 when the ring lifted up a bit, and that was toward the end of it's stint at the bar. The disc has held up well enough since, and the bond seemed serious. The game doesn't see nearly as much play at home, so it isn't exactly a great comparison to what I had been using.
Though, now that I've looked up that word I'd never seen before, that means the 460 is a form of super glue. I had used super glue to fix a lift up prior to PAGG, and it seemed to dry out the disc, which soon resulted in chunks just breaking off. Tron will likely be put back to test at PAGG this year.
Thank you for your info.

My guess is that the Loctite 460 is what Stern is recommending for field repairs. The original disc was probably outsourced from a third party vendor that used an adhesive that is applied using a $600 thermal gun. Super Glue is very brittle and only works well when the 2 surfaces are hard and mate with no gaps. The original black disc is never coming off. This is why most everyone recommends buying a new hard clear disc when making this swap.

#6760 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Did you ever do a mod to a game and say to yourself "why the Hell didn't I do that years ago?"
I wasn't wild about the colorDMD in Tron. In some games I adore it, but it never seemed worth it in Tron. So I still had the original plasma display. I just swapped it out for an Xpin blue DMD, and I just LOVE it. I think it looks fantastic!

I do need to adjust the angle of the shield because it reflects the playfield spotlights back to the player, but just wow.

Interesting. I have a blue Xpin DMD in my Tron, and was thinking of swapping it out for a color DMD (LED) display. You think blue looks better? I'm having a similar dilemma with my Creature, which is currently sporting a green DMD.

*edit - I should have read the rest of the thread. Sounds like it was an LCD. I'm planning to go with LED.

#6761 7 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

colordmd

Ahhhh, got it. I've only seen the LCD in Tron. The one game (CV) I've seen with the colorDMD LED, I didn't care for. To my eyes it almost looked out of focus, so I didn't consider it in my Tron. That is something I'd need to see in someone else's Tron in real life before cracking open the wallet.

#6762 7 years ago

I've tried a blue Xpin, color LED, and color LCD. My personal favorite is the color LCD, specifically because I dig the look of squares vs. dots to have a more 8-bit feel. They all look fantastic and are a huge improvement over the stock display.

#6763 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Ahhhh, got it. I've only seen the LCD in Tron. The one game (CV) I've seen with the colorDMD LED, I didn't care for. To my eyes it almost looked out of focus, so I didn't consider it in my Tron. That is something I'd need to see in someone else's Tron in real life before cracking open the wallet.

To each their own on this choice, but I had a DMD in my Tron and swapped it for the colorDMD LED and I like that much better for that game. I like DMD better for some games, though.

--Donnie

#6764 7 years ago

happy b-day to Flank

tron-b-day-1 (resized).jpgtron-b-day-1 (resized).jpg

#6765 7 years ago

I replaced my soundtrack back to the original one, after months of the dubstep version. Still that original version is amazing. And the game to. Funny thing when you alter something like that you just play better. Only light cycle left to portal, almost there....

#6766 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Funny thing when you alter something like that you just play better.

If you like electronic music, there's an incredibly large amount of tracks that are suitable replacements for the stock music, making for a variety of remixes that can make the machine feel fresh:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-there-are-now-3-music-remixes-poll

#6767 7 years ago

Any one has a Tron Girls Translite or nice copy for sale? I want to frameit and light it.

#6768 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

happy b-day to Flank

Ah...if Flankster would just jump in, get lamp back in the thread title, the world would be a better place......

#6769 7 years ago

Time for CF to sack up and come back where he belongs...

#6770 7 years ago

oh... he's here... he's just not logging in

#6771 7 years ago

Those bags would be enough to scare him off labnip

1 week later
#6772 7 years ago

I was going to install a color DMD tonight, but realized that I can't find the original clear window that was installed prior to when I swapped in a blue DMD. I'm going to search my garage tomorrow, but if I can't locate it, where's the best place to grab a replacement?

#6773 7 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I was going to install a color DMD tonight, but realized that I can't find the original clear window that was installed prior to when I swapped in a blue DMD. I'm going to search my garage tomorrow, but if I can't locate it, where's the best place to grab a replacement?

Here you go!

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=450&zenid=78992747023c68805fadbf36972ee156

#6774 7 years ago

Just accomplished my new personal best 230,000,000.

The misses was out, she took the dog, it was time to crank the volume and smash some Tron. Sea of simulation with only light cycle to complete. Portal started and it got intense, smashing each shot completing the string to add an extra ball. Had them all complete (even gem) apart from one last right orbit.

What a great bloody game....Flynn lives!!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6775 7 years ago

tron-atari-1 (resized).jpgtron-atari-1 (resized).jpg

#6776 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#6777 7 years ago

Tried my hand at modding my recognizers (yes, I have a spare). One LED points up into the head, two down. They are prototypes at this point but looking not too shabby....

IMG_7038 (resized).JPGIMG_7038 (resized).JPG

IMG_7040 (resized).JPGIMG_7040 (resized).JPG

#6778 7 years ago

tron-atari-2 (resized).jpgtron-atari-2 (resized).jpg

#6779 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Tried my hand at modding my recognizers (yes, I have a spare). One LED points up into the head, two down. They are prototypes at this point but looking not too shabby....

Looking good!

#6780 7 years ago

Thanks!

I'm debating tossing the second one in if I can find a suitable spot and mounting solution.

#6781 7 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Thanks!
I'm debating tossing the second one in if I can find a suitable spot and mounting solution.

Hmm. I wonder where it'd fit? Over pops?

Do you know where I can find the arrow plastics that you place over the end of the ramps? I think there's an orange and yellow one.

Anyone? Buehler?

#6782 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Hmm. I wonder where it'd fit? Over pops?
Do you know where I can find the arrow plastics that you place over the end of the ramps? I think there's an orange and yellow one.
Anyone? Buehler?

That's one spot I was thinking (over the pops). The next is a bit of a squeeze, but I'm thinking an angled mount near the front of the left ramp, where the recognizer is printed on the playfield. It's unlikely it'll work, but it's worth a bit of trial and error placement.

I too am looking for those arrow plastics. When you find out please let us know.

B

#6783 7 years ago

anyone interested in this stainless steel speaker panel

Panel_Stern_alt_TRON_mit_speaker (resized).jpgPanel_Stern_alt_TRON_mit_speaker (resized).jpg

#6784 7 years ago

Here ya go, just picked some up a couple weeks ago from here:

http://www.gamestencils.com/pin-parts/tron-ramp-covers

#6785 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Looks awesome but is there anyway to make the beams from the cycles bigger or more dramatic? at the moment the single line behind both cycles is a little underwhelming if you could sort that out I would be interested 100% so I could back light the hell out of it

#6786 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Here ya go, just picked some up a couple weeks ago from here:
http://www.gamestencils.com/pin-parts/tron-ramp-covers

Awesome. What did you order? Did they match the pinbits?

#6787 7 years ago

In other news, Portal today. Only 3rd time I've been but first on the LE. Holy hell it was fun.

Did not beat it.

IMG_2131 (resized).JPGIMG_2131 (resized).JPG

#6788 7 years ago

Awesome. What did you order? Did they match the pinbits?

I got the only one they had in stock, whatever it was looked close enough and for twelve bucks I was super stoked! Not even sure what protectors came on my slings but looks great. Congrats on portal! My game came with a GC of 240 million, and it reads "daddy". It taunts me mercilessly

#6789 7 years ago

order Deadline is sunday

$ 85,- + 20,- shipping

1tr (resized).jpg1tr (resized).jpg

#6790 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

order Deadline is sunday
$ 85,- + 20,- shipping

Is that the final design? I would be interested if the lightcycle tracks where larger.

#6791 7 years ago

thats the final design

if someone is interested

drop me a PM

tom

#6792 7 years ago

if you put EL paper behind the bikes

it will look like this

we will order it on mondän

so be quick only 1 order/run

tom

DSC_0834-2 (resized).jpgDSC_0834-2 (resized).jpg

#6793 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

if you put EL paper behind the bikes
it will look like this
we will order it on mondän
so be quick only 1 order/run
tom

Looks like it covers up the LE collector plate on the LE though?

--Donnie

#6794 7 years ago

Tron down awaiting powder coating

IMG_20170321_214607 (resized).jpgIMG_20170321_214607 (resized).jpg

#6795 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

Tron down awaiting powder coating

What color are you doing it?

#6796 7 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

What color are you doing it?

High gloss ultra hot pink

Colour to be shown once compete

#6797 7 years ago

Who sells the Tron Legacy and Backbox hinge cut outs in chrome ?

#6798 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

we will order today

if You want one, let me know

tom

#6799 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

High gloss ultra hot pink
Colour to be shown once compete

It's always good to separate yourself from the crowd but ummmmmm

Will stay tuned and await the reveal.

#6800 7 years ago

Panel_Stern_alt_TRON_mit_speaker (resized).jpgPanel_Stern_alt_TRON_mit_speaker (resized).jpg

will look amazing with EL paper like this

IMG_7232 (resized).JPGIMG_7232 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
There are 11,635 posts in this topic. You are on page 136 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/136 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.