IMG_3026 (resized).png
IMG_3018 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3017 (resized).jpeg
TRON_SpinDisc Mounted (resized).jpg
IMG_5680 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1247 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4179 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpeg

There are 11,621 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 233.
#6601 7 years ago
Quoted from DerRoland:

That was little tricky: the LCD display fits direct on the LS-panel (screwholes were right placed). The LED display is smaller and the RGB panels have an offset ~5mm, so I reused my old mounting brackets from the original plasma display. I covered the upper gap between LED display and panel with a black velvet tape (prevent light from the neontube). Electrical connection are the same.

Thanks.

It sounds like you can't just switch them between games so easily then. For example, if I bought an LED display for TRON/Stern, I couldn't just take the LCD and drop it into Congo - mainly because I'd lack the appropriate cables AND mounting gear. I'd really hoped they'd be truely interchangeable, which is the case for the cables, but not mounting hardware.

If I bought the LED "for Congo", I'd still lack the Stern mounting for the LED.

Am I making sense???

#6602 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Thanks.
It sounds like you can't just switch them between games so easily then. For example, if I bought an LED display for TRON/Stern, I couldn't just take the LCD and drop it into Congo - mainly because I'd lack the appropriate cables AND mounting gear. I'd really hoped they'd be truely interchangeable, which is the case for the cables, but not mounting hardware.
If I bought the LED "for Congo", I'd still lack the Stern mounting for the LED.
Am I making sense???

An LED for Congo will work in Stern games. The display hardware is the same. Just like the LCD, you only need a different cable installation kit.

The mounting brackets from the original Stern display just need to be transferred over to the ColorDMD LED display.

#6603 7 years ago

When you bought it for Congo, a power cable for WPC is included. When you bought it for Tron a power cable for SAM/Whitestar is in.

Interchangeable is possible, if you have a extra powercable for the other system (WPC <> SAM/Whitestar).

Mounting is on both versions easy. A LED display for SAM/Whitestar need the existing bracket on this pinballs.

I had a special situation with the former installed LCD display (I remove the needed bracket).

#6604 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The mounting brackets from the original Stern display just need to be transferred over to the ColorDMD LED display.

I had totally forgotten about those original Stern DMD brackets!

(Still need to go and find them).

Problem solved. Thanks.

To confirm: the LCD and LED power cables for Stern SAM are identical?

#6605 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I had totally forgotten about those original Stern DMD brackets!
(Still need to go and find them).
Problem solved. Thanks.
To confirm: the LCD and LED power cables for Stern SAM are identical?

Yes, the cables are the same.

#6606 7 years ago

I think I may have found the hardest way to hit Gem...or at least a way to hit it I'd never thought of. During multiball I had balls simultaneously tracking around the orbits. They met at the Gem exit at just the right point to bump one of the balls sideways into the switch. Not sure I'll ever be able to duplicate that shot...

#6607 7 years ago

Just recently picked up a Tron and the Gem shot is definitely tough. Loving the game in general - so much flow and the music is fantastic (especially the remixes). Just ordered an LED ColorDMD for this bad boy - probably one of the best mods you can get for any DMD pin, I am excited. Randy (@Dmod) is an awesome guy as well - amazing innovation there.

I think LED vs LCD has a lot to do with preference, but as a colorDMD developer, I can tell you that the colors on the LED are much more true to the colors we see in the development tool during coloring. Plus I love the dots - so LED for me all the way (I have one in TOM as well)!

Great game!

#6608 7 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Hey TimeBandit these aprons are fantastic. On the LE there's no artwork in the triangle areas of the metal apron. What would you recommend on yours? Would it look weird leaving it empty on the acrylic?

I reckon someone has to try laser etching there. I just put pro decals on mine. On my LE that is. The photos here are obviously my pro, but somewhere there are photos of my LE with a clear apron on it with pro decals.

#6609 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I think I may have found the hardest way to hit Gem...or at least a way to hit it I'd never thought of. During multiball I had balls simultaneously tracking around the orbits. They met at the Gem exit at just the right point to bump one of the balls sideways into the switch. Not sure I'll ever be able to duplicate that shot...

Very cool!!!....the only way I ever " consistently " complete Gem is by multi ball accidents...my skill attempts are very rare, at best.

#6610 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Very cool!!!....the only way I ever " consistently " complete Gem is by multi ball accidents...my skill attempts are very rare, at best.

I think Gem is 80% luck, anyway! I have the most luck banking it off the stand up targets. I'd really like to ask Borg if Gem was just an accident, or if he had any idea of how tough a shot this was going to be and of the many different ways of hitting that b#*%h of a shot we'd discover.

#6611 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I think Gem is 80% luck, anyway! I have the most luck banking it off the stand up targets. I'd really like to ask Borg if Gem was just an accident, or if he had any idea of how tough a shot this was going to be and of the many different ways of hitting that b#*%h of a shot we'd discover.

I think it's the Rogue shot from X-Men. Someone could do a Photoshop flip and see if the geometry is the same. If there is an "accident" in the design, it is probably the rising 3 bank target which gets in the way of the shot. With that target down it feels almost exactly like Rogue off the third flipper, with a similar success rate.

#6612 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I think it's the Rogue shot from X-Men. Someone could do a Photoshop flip and see if the geometry is the same. If there is an "accident" in the design, it is probably the rising 3 bank target which gets in the way of the shot. With that target down it feels almost exactly like Rogue off the third flipper, with a similar success rate.

On my Tron LE, Gem way easier to make than Rogue. I've played some Trons, however, where the Gem shot is a lot harder to make than it is on mine. It seems like a tiny variation in the playfield can have a drastic effect on the makeability of the shot.

#6613 7 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Agreed!!!..the best " skill" attempt I've had is cradling w the top left flipper, then slightly releasing, hitting the ball slightly, to put it about 1/4" off flipper, then hitting it half way down ( I've got an LE, so targets don't help me). My best game scores, however, have come from simply pounding the disc multi ball and letting luck sort the details. Must play better!!!

A brutal, but incredibly addicting game...bolted to my floor

#6614 7 years ago

Tron pinball remix finished (for now)

Here's my take on what I'm happy with remix wise. Different strokes for different folks.

0:00 - 0:35 Flynn (new song and Clu rollover targets)
0:35 - 0:56 Clu (new song)
0:56 - 1:25 Gem (new song and jackpot speech)
1:25 - 1:57 light cycle (new song)
1:57 - 2:22 quorra (same song added super jackpot speech)
2:22 - 2:45 combination speech added for 1-5 and then Clu speech added for combination 6
2:45 - 3:46 Disc wars multiball (new songs for start and restart)
3:46 - 4:44 Portal multiball (original 1982 tron, journey separate ways)
4:44 - 4:53 High Score (speech added)
4:53 - 5:15 DMD limited edition text added, match event and game over music changed.

#6615 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnsbit:

Will you share?

Sorry didn't realise people replied to my video. No probs sharing, sharing is caring. New video uploaded. Complete for now

Quoted from webdiddy:Nice work, I made the dubstep remix, but I would really love to incorporate your jackpot and combo sounds into my mix, obviously you will be credited.

Yea mate no worries, looks like many really like your version.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Excited to possibly check this out, I've got an LE, might you put out a version for each? I would be super appreciative

Don't see why not. Guess it's just opening the LE bin and then changing the tracks to what's already created. It's interesting looking at the LE bin as it has less sounds and size than the pro.

#6616 7 years ago

Post 77 in this thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-club-all-welcome/page/2#post-3369358

Talking about how happy he is to trade a TRON Pro for WNBJM!

Looks like someone has reached "end of line."

#6617 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Post 77 in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whoa-nellie-big-juicy-melons-club-all-welcome/page/2#post-3369358

That pinsider has obviously lost his mind.....we must avoid him!!!

#6618 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That pinsider has obviously lost his mind.....we must avoid him!!!

clearly he fell off the grid

#6619 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

clearly he fell off the grid

Even though our leader ( Flank) is dark, we must guard the grid!!! Quick...someone start a " tronve thread"!!! With all the new titles out there, somehow it's fallen off the " whine" radar. TRON still rules!!!...is what it is.....

#6620 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Post 77 in this thread

Obviously a boob man

#6621 7 years ago

I haven't tried your remix on my machine yet but believe you me I will, it makes my remix feel inferior.
Would you mind pm'ing me the file?

Quoted from Grg:

Tron pinball remix finished (for now)
Here's my take on what I'm happy with remix wise. Different strokes for different folks.
0:00 - 0:35 Flynn (new song and Clu rollover targets)
0:35 - 0:56 Clu (new song)
0:56 - 1:25 Gem (new song and jackpot speech)
1:25 - 1:57 light cycle (new song)
1:57 - 2:22 quorra (same song added super jackpot speech)
2:22 - 2:45 combination speech added for 1-5 and then Clu speech added for combination 6
2:45 - 3:46 Disc wars multiball (new songs for start and restart)
3:46 - 4:44 Portal multiball (original 1982 tron, journey separate ways)
4:44 - 4:53 High Score (speech added)
4:53 - 5:15 DMD limited edition text added, match event and game over music changed.
» YouTube video

#6622 7 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I haven't tried your remix on my machine yet but believe you me I will, it makes my remix feel inferior.
Would you mind pm'ing me the file?

I would like to receive a PM with the file also

#6623 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I would like to receive a PM with the file also

Me too - sent a PM a few days ago, but no reply!

#6624 7 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving programs!

#6626 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Happy Flanksgiving

Ditto to all!!!

1 week later
#6627 7 years ago

I just purchased my first sub, the Polk, and connected it to Tron. Omg, what a difference. The game has changed, son of Flynn.
I am completely deaf in my left ear and this sub has helped tremendously. I think it just went up to the top of the list for mods, along with color dmd and pdi.

#6628 7 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I just purchased my first sub, the Polk, and connected it to Tron. Omg, what a difference. The game has changed, son of Flynn.
I am completely deaf in my left ear and this sub has helped tremendously. I think it just went up to the top of the list for mods, along with color dmd and pdi.

It should be a required mod on Tron. Just for the opening sound of Light Cycle alone.

#6629 7 years ago
Quoted from c508:

Post 77 in this thread

That'd be me!

I miss my Tron, no doubt about that - my favourite Stern and one of my favourite games as well. But the opportunity presented itself to trade for a Melons and I couldn't resist. Call me crazy but I enjoy playing Melons as much as any other game - Tron included...

I still plan to get another Tron at some stage. Maybe even try and track down an LE this time.

#6630 7 years ago
Quoted from Mar:

Call me crazy

Crazy!

Quoted from Mar:

I still plan to get another Tron at some stage. Maybe even try and track down an LE this time.

Crazy like a fox! ...or maybe like a FLYNN?

#6632 7 years ago

There's an HUO LE for sale for 9k currently on here....great deal for someone!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tron-legacy-le-stern-2011-2024

#6633 7 years ago

Just installed Hooked pop bumper mod in chrome. Because Tron pop bumpers are more visible then other pins these really look great.

http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p5/Tron_Pop_Bumper_Kit_(back_ordered_1_week).html

#6634 7 years ago

Sadly Tron has left the building. 1 minutes silence please.

IMG_3091 (resized).JPGIMG_3091 (resized).JPG

#6635 7 years ago
Quoted from jokerpoker:

Sadly Tron has left the building. 1 minutes silence please.

Oh no, bummer to see that you have left the grid but I'm sure another program will be very happy with this acquisition.

#6636 7 years ago

A cpl things-

1) I also have a music remix that I didn't make but can assure you is the best. Lmk if interested, I don't feel like describing it it's not gimmicky.

2) I'm considering selling my laseriffic light cycle topper.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-all-metal-smbsm-topper

#6637 7 years ago

Hey guys, I just joined the club last weekend! I recently ordered a new ring kit from cointaker and while the quantities match what's in the manual, the manual seems totally wrong. What gives? I've got another thread here, so that I don't clutter up this one and maybe it will help others.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ring-replacement-stern-manual-wtf

Also, I was curious. Since the names of the rinzler disc flashers are "red left" and "red right" in the flasher test, I'm assuming these are stock "red". But I was wondering why and if anyone has changed them? In the movies rinzler is wearing dark orange. Has anyone replaced these flashers with dark orange to be more authentic? What other LED choices have people made?

#6638 7 years ago

Does anyone know with what type of screw the recognizer is fixed to the plastic ? The previous owner has taken the recognizer off and has put some silly figures on the plastic which sits over the spinning disc. I have the regognizer but am missing the screws ..

#6639 7 years ago

Played a good hour or so tonight. It's been a while. I'm generally not one for games with deep rulesets. Tron I can grasp. Almost. This confused me tonight:

I got to Sea of Simulation. All items were lit solid except light cycles were still blinking. I lost the ball. On the next ball, I hit lots of light cycles, lit light cycle multiball, started light cycle multiball, didn't complete light cycle multiball, lost 1 ball, hit the scoop a few times but SOS wouldn't restart, even though all the things in the middle were lit solid or blinking.

What's a guy got ta do to restart SOS around here?

Maybe I should ask my 4-year-old. He has a slight grasp of the rules, too: "Daddy, I lit up a lot of the things in the middle!"

-Jason

IMG_20161210_160020 (resized).jpgIMG_20161210_160020 (resized).jpg

#6640 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Played a good hour or so tonight. It's been a while. I'm generally not one for games with deep rulesets. Tron I can grasp. Almost. This confused me tonight:
I got to Sea of Simulation. All items were lit solid except light cycles were still blinking. I lost the ball. On the next ball, I hit lots of light cycles, lit light cycle multiball, started light cycle multiball, didn't complete light cycle multiball, lost 1 ball, hit the scoop a few times but SOS wouldn't restart, even though all the things in the middle were lit solid or blinking.
Maybe I should ask my 4-year-old. He has a slight grasp of the rules, too: "Daddy, I lit up a lot of the things in the middle!"
-Jason

You have to qualify the mode the real way... no sos on second time around

#6641 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

You only get one shot at SoS. Once it ends, any remaining modes that still are not lit solid must be completed the normal way. This is what makes Portal so difficult to reach.

#6643 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You have to qualify the mode the real way... no sos on second time around

Quoted from gweempose:

You only get one shot at SoS. Once it ends, any remaining modes that still are not lit solid must be completed the normal way. This is what makes Portal so difficult to reach.

Or return to SOS by qualifying and starting all the multiballs again, even the ones that are completed. So LC had been restarted, they needed to start disc, and Quorra again, and then SOS would be qualified for the second time at the scoop. No easy task, but that's how it really works.

The important part there is that all the multiballs need to be restarted even if they are lit steady on the tree. That's how you qualify SOS the second time. In his case, he had everything solid. Of course along with the multiballs, you need to restart any other incomplete modes.

#6644 7 years ago
Quoted from zapp:

Does anyone know with what type of screw the recognizer is fixed to the plastic ? The previous owner has taken the recognizer off and has put some silly figures on the plastic which sits over the spinning disc. I have the regognizer but am missing the screws ..

If I remember correctly, the Recognizer is secured from below... like #4 flat-head small Phillips screws that screw up thru the bottom of the plastic, into the bottoms of the Recognizer feet. (careful not to over-tighten)

#6645 7 years ago
Quoted from Timerider:

If I remember correctly, the Recognizer is secured from below... like #4 flat-head small Phillips screws that screw up thru the bottom of the plastic, into the bottoms of the Recognizer feet. (careful not to over-tighten)

Yes, it is secured like you have described it. What I was hoping for was that someone could give me the exact specification or type of screw that is used to screw through the plastic into the recogniser so that I can place an order at some pinball shop over here

#6646 7 years ago

Isn't this information in the manual?
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/tron/tron/431/Tron%20Manual.pdf

Quoted from zapp:

Yes, it is secured like you have described it. What I was hoping for was that someone could give me the exact specification or type of screw that is used to screw through the plastic into the recogniser so that I can place an order at some pinball shop over here

#6647 7 years ago

I don't know why, but I find the shot through the pop bumpers to be really tough on this game. I needed to make the shot last night to reach Portal, and I couldn't nail it for the life of me. I must have made at least 10 attempts, and I kept just missing. Oddly enough, I don't find the Gem shot to be difficult at all.

#6648 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know why, but I find the shot through the pop bumpers to be really tough on this game. I needed to make the shot last night to reach Portal, and I couldn't nail it for the life of me. I must have made at least 10 attempts, and I kept just missing. Oddly enough, I don't find the Gem shot to be difficult at all.

The gem shot is easier for me now that I try to reach it from the right flipper off the TRON stand-ups on the pro. Not sure how feasible this is on the LE, with the drops.

#6649 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Check your level. The bubble on the game needs to be need between the lines. The shot geometry on this game is very sensitive to how the game is setup.

#6650 7 years ago

The bubbles are cheap pos and cannot be trusted. Besides, many have theirs inclined more than 6.5 degrees. You are right about the checking the side-to-side level though. The right orbit is a tough shot for me and seems even tougher when I really need it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 49.99
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
12,028 (OBO)
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
There are 11,621 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 233.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-tron-lovefest-thread-i-love-it-more-than-lamp/page/133 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.