Torpedo Alley 5 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 4 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 2 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 3 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 1 (resized).jpg
TA Box Inside (resized).PNG
TA Box Mounted (resized).PNG
20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 5 years ago

Just joined the club Sunday! Big ol’ Christmas present to myself.

Game is a total project, severe acid damage in the MPU, power supply seems bad. At one point the game did try to engage one of the relays, and flash certain lights so it seems to have a little life in it.

Came with an extra playfield that’s mostly picked apart, lotta rust. Also a complete Secret Service playfield and backbox

All the posts in my game are clear, and to my understanding they should be color matched. Any ideas where to get the correct ones?

109D12E3-02B9-45DE-A55B-6ECA0AEB9FD1.jpeg109D12E3-02B9-45DE-A55B-6ECA0AEB9FD1.jpeg27DE269E-C193-4B16-93E2-B4B6B5E11ECC.jpeg27DE269E-C193-4B16-93E2-B4B6B5E11ECC.jpeg552DB4E9-2EF3-4B09-B223-EB798CBCEBCE.jpeg552DB4E9-2EF3-4B09-B223-EB798CBCEBCE.jpegCE6AB4BD-A356-4481-9D50-5E301292A0F5.jpegCE6AB4BD-A356-4481-9D50-5E301292A0F5.jpeg

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

That's a decent idea. I have an extra stripped down mostly playfield, but that bank of drops assembly still remains. I would think you could wire it to reset off the upper coil/upper drops?
An easier mod that I think I'm going to do is add the missing spinner to the left orbit. This is essentially the same or similar as the right spinner shot, but there is only a lame wire on the left side.
Torpedo Alley was my second game back in 2000. I've had 4 of them, I parted out the first one because it just kept messing up/breaking constantly and I was a noob at the time, hence, why I have a stripped down playfield still. My current one is a complete project, but it needs displays and a cpu. I'll get to it over the winter.
As far as caves go, yeah, they might be one of the hardest to find plastics in pinball, you make do with what you have. Connectors get taxed and crappy on this pin specifically, it's common. Upgrading or bulletproofing the board set is essential to keeping this pin running happy.

This is actually the one I bought! Didn’t realize he posted here!

1 week later
#91 5 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

True. #6 hole for the posts... check flyer for colors or see if anybody has an
areal view of the playfield with out the plastic set.

What does #6 hole mean? I’ve been trying to understand this

4 months later
#99 4 years ago
Quoted from chucky87:

Hello
I am looking for a translite / backglass HD for my torpedo alley which is in very bad condition. someone would have an HD image so that I can print it thank you very much

Welcome to the club! I invite you to finish your profile, update your collection and join us here on Pinside. Congrats on your first post!

I’m sure someone here can help you, Pinside is a wonderful website and probably the absolute best Pinball website by far. Enjoy your time here!

9 months later
#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I made some rule cards I wanted to share. The file is full size and 300 dpi so everyone can print them if wanted.[quoted image]

Very nice!
Anyone know where I can buy a replacement data cable for the alphanumeric?

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Ahoy Mates! I just joined the club a couple of days ago. I picked one up from an operator friend who had it buried in storage. He didn't have the time or desire to deal with it, so I got it for a great price. It needs to be cleaned badly and the rubbers are rotted out, but she fires right up. Lights work, sounds work and you can play a game...as much as you can without any rubbers on it.
Issues I noticed so far are the slings and the bottom two displays don't seem to be working right now which I will have to check into. I have the original manual too, but I am sure I will need some help along the way so any tips you have to offer are much appreciated.
It also came with an extra NOS plastic set that was buried in the back of the game which was a pleasant surprise. At first glance my plastics look good, so I might be able to sell some of these if people are in need. I'll try to remember to update the group with progress as I get into the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats!!!! Not a bad game to pick up, incredible an operator still had one! The mountains look fantastic too!
Those plastics are practically gold. Mine are just thrashed. Still fixing switches issues in my beater.
Enjoy the game, and bump for anyone who knows where to buy the data ribbon cable for the displays.

3 months later
#133 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just an idea..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

What?!? I enjoy my rare plastics being destroyed!

Also I’ve let JodyG know several times about remaking these caves and he MAY do it. Think he’s just trying to figure out how they’d be colored and such

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Picked up from Pinsider Chuckwebster in a package deal a week or two ago; He repainted and decaled cabinet, clear-coated the playfield and has NOS translite.
So far replaced all the incandescent bulbs & flashers with Comet LED, fixed a lighting problem on one string (missing diode), upgraded to NVRAM, tweaked upper left ball deflector and added velcro and made an airball deflector for left cave. Future plans are to polish out welds on lock bar, make plastic for laser kick stand up, light the two ships in the corners, replace the blue stand up target plastics and install a shaker motor.
I can't think of a better title to have a shaker than Torpedo Alley.
Oh the serial number which I'll not disclose due to some unscrupulous lurker who likes to post and take credit for them over at IPSND.. lets just say its in the first batch of 100...
Very, very fun game. If I was asked to pick the three best DE games this would be one of them, Time Machine another.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How would you add a shaker to this? Wouldn’t it have to be reprogrammed for when to activate?
I think it would be very cool, just now sure how you retroactively add them.

1 week later
#145 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

New old stock, woot!
[quoted image]

I was going to buy that one but the funds didn’t work out at the right time for it. Good snag for someone, hopefully we get these reproduced at some point!!

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes, pity the decal is off center but better than a broken one.

Didn’t notice. They’re not all like that, are they? They must have had a few different runs. How odd.

I’ve noticed NOS caves come up more often then you’d think.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I bet you could sell 100 of the center one. Likely 25 to 50 of them very quickly because they always seem to be broken and most buyers would likely grab a spare. After that I think the rest of the run of 100 would sell over a few months or so. The others don't seem to be broken as often so I would hate to guess on those.

The center is always destroyed and the left cave takes a beating. The right cave usually is in best condition

The problem is the laser kickback standup that causes huge air balls

#160 3 years ago

Obviously as we lasted talked, I’d buy a set Jody!

Quoted from JodyG:

Okay I pulled my set off. Definitely vac formed. They started with 1/8" material, but at the bottom of the mold, where they all break, its only .003"-.004". Check out the difference in material thickness from top left to bottom right on the closeup. I'd love to make them thicker, but that could cause mounting issues. I think if I used a plug, I could probably thicken up those bad areas a bit. There are some other considerations I need to work out also, as these would be female molds. I do not have a lot of experience with them, and it may be a lot of trial and error.
[quoted image][quoted image]

2 weeks later
#170 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am working on these as soon as I get done running Road Show and Road Kings ramps. I am about 2/3 of the way there now. I especially need to get these done so I can actually sell my TA soon.

Why would you ever sell?? It is right up there with Lazer War. One of the best DEs

4 months later
#209 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I am very curious about how many Torpedo Alleys still exist in the world. If only there was a way to find out
I know it’s been said before ... but with such a low production run , surely there can’t be more than 200 left ?
Any ideas on how to work it out ?
Perhaps someone with more computer knowledge then me could set up one of those little survey thingys

Quoted from JodyG:

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

About 800 TA’s went overseas. So in America there should only be 200 or so games. Quite a few are reimports. That’s why the default language is German on the ROMs.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Ironically, I just registered my serial. But apparently Iso Frost has a board out of my game, or owned and registered this one before. [quoted image]

Yes, IPSND is one of my favorite websites to get a decent estimate of what titles are out there.

Kinda funny but if you’ll notice about a third of the Torpedo Alley serial numbers registered have been submitted by me. You can tell what machine I’m going to buy next based off of what serial numbers I’m submitting

Sorry to everyone I’ve already registered,
I usually research the hell out of it and then whenever I find an unsubmitted number I post it for posterity. It’s easier than asking every owner to signup and submit their own games. (Take a look at Baby Pac, Orbitor 1 and Granny and the Gators, most of them are all mine! Some are even from old photos I’ve found online)

For Colson’s I’m pretty sure I bought the old display board out of that game and it’s in mine currently
Turned out mine wasn’t booting from a short in the display which was a huge relief!

My Torpedo Alley actually came with a partially populated spare playfield and has the boards from at least 1 other TA. So effectively 3 of them were combined to make the one I’ve got currently, which still has some pesky matrix issues I’m chasing.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I thought the point of IPSND was to only submit games or parts you own, so the location is also tracked.
I didn’t know you were supposed to just randomly submit serial numbers based on photographs you find of games? That doesn’t really confirm the game still actually exists.

Oh no, that’s not the point at all. The point is to compile the valid, existing serial numbers. We don’t know what numbering system, range, or numbers were actually used.
Many manufactures straight up lied about production runs and fabricated serial numbers to mislead their competitors. If you look at the top submitters, it’s mostly just from eBay parts listings.

Now ideally the games should still existent, but even if it no longer exists you should record the serial number before its lost forever and give an update on its fate, as I have for the unfortunate games that could not be saved. That way a record of that number exists and we know it was valid in use for the purpose of the serial number range.

For example, I visit many collections and I ask the owners if I can submit their machines for them. Everyone so far has said yes, and a few expressed surprise when they learned about the database. My friends now just send me numbers for their new pick-ups because they know I enjoy it.

Part numbers can be just as helpful, as long as they’re entered as a part and not a complete machine. They still let us know that a real game existed for this serial number and sometimes it fills gaps in the date codes. Certain Williams numbers have been identify and were used to denote the excess parts made to serve as spares. They added special prefixes to them usually.

The location isn’t as important. That’s why they encourage duplication submissions, it simply allows us to know where there games end up in their travels. It can also possibly help determine theft the more complete it becomes. I leave the location empty if I don’t know where it is, or I enter it wherever I came across the machine.

The Serial Number Database is like us reverse engineering the production numbers. Look at the modern Sterns. Those have a TON of submissions and it’s shocking how FEW they seem to make of them. Stern won’t tell us production numbers anytime soon, so it’s up to us to try and decode the secrets.

tl;dr - Sorry about the essay, I know how tedious they can be to read. With all the known numbers we can figure out how many were actually made.

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

According to this link the PAPA copy of Torpedo Alley is still available for purchase if anyone is interested.
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=C182838E6193FD56!30975&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!ADdTVGe7AGwGy6Q

$2600, I imagine it’s probably well played. Never had a chance to visit them but I know their games had been put through the wringer with the level of play they get.

5 months later
#250 2 years ago
Quoted from KCMike:

Finally time to do something about this thrashed cabinet! I am not sure if I should wait for a stencil to be created or go for decals. Thoughts??
[quoted image][quoted image]

I was hoping someone would make stencils of this title. My cabinet is in rough shape as well. The art is still intact mostly so I could make some pretty decent stencils of it, except the front is heavily delaminated.

1 year later
#272 1 year ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Evening Bump:
Delighted to have just joined the club with a project TA that was in storage for about 20 years. Gradually piecing it together and troubleshooting mysteries. All connectors are now in place and all fuses test as good, but when I plug in the game I get no sign of power. Looking at the square silver box mounted on the right where the power cord runs inside the cabinet, I see what appears to be a fuse holder but with no fuse in it, so perhaps this is the problem. Can someone verify if this is indeed a fuse holder and, if so, what value fuse it takes? I can't discern this from the manual. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions, so any guidance is appreciated.

Can you post a photo of that silver box?

1 year later
#294 63 days ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I just picked up a torpedo alley.
behind a translate there's another smaller "translight" Mine is attached to top but just hangs at the bottom freely. Is this normal or they glued down

That’s normal, it’s just stapled at the top and hangs. Congrats! Torpedo Alley is sick. One of Elwin’s favorites. You can see the inspiration on JP, Godzilla other Elwin machines. He really borrowed a lot from the crazy flow of this game

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-torpedo-alley-club?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.