Torpedo Alley 5 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 4 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 2 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 3 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 1 (resized).jpg
TA Box Inside (resized).PNG
TA Box Mounted (resized).PNG
20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 3 years ago

Just an idea..

20200704_112357 (resized).jpg20200704_112357 (resized).jpg20200704_112414 (resized).jpg20200704_112414 (resized).jpg20200704_112436 (resized).jpg20200704_112436 (resized).jpg
#135 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That’s pretty cool. This is a top wish list game for me. It’s great to see things like this being developed.

Developed is a strong word, just me banging around in workshop.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

What?!? I enjoy my rare plastics being destroyed!
Also I’ve let jodyg know several times about remaking these caves and he MAY do it. Think he’s just trying to figure out how they’d be colored and such

Just do them in clear and leave the painting up to buyer.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Duct tape is gray and would match the cave.
Gary’s the man. I’ll take one!

Already made for ya bro.

#141 3 years ago

Picked up from Pinsider Chuckwebster in a package deal a week or two ago; He repainted and decaled cabinet, clear-coated the playfield and has NOS translite.

So far replaced all the incandescent bulbs & flashers with Comet LED, fixed a lighting problem on one string (missing diode), upgraded to NVRAM, installed red shooter spring, tweaked upper left ball deflector and added velcro and made an airball deflector for left cave. Future plans are to polish out welds on lock bar, make plastic for laser kick stand up, light the two ships in the corners, replace the blue stand up target plastics and install a shaker motor.

I can't think of a better title to have a shaker than Torpedo Alley.

Oh the serial number which I'll not disclose due to some unscrupulous lurker who likes to post and take credit for them over at IPSND.. lets just say its in the first batch of 100...

Very, very fun game. If I was asked to pick the three best DE games this would be one of them, Time Machine another.

20200705_075838 (resized).jpg20200705_075838 (resized).jpg20200705_075755 (resized).jpg20200705_075755 (resized).jpg20200705_075735 (resized).jpg20200705_075735 (resized).jpg20200705_075814 (resized).jpg20200705_075814 (resized).jpg

#143 3 years ago

How would you add a shaker to this? Wouldn’t it have to be reprogrammed for when to activate?
I think it would be very cool, just now sure how you retroactively add them.

Universal pinshakers kit for William's system 11 which is triggered off coil and flasher drivers. Pretty much same MPU as Data East.

1 week later
#144 3 years ago

New old stock, woot!

20200715_154636 (resized).jpg20200715_154636 (resized).jpg
#146 3 years ago

I was going to buy that one but the funds didn’t work out at the right time for it. Good snag for someone, hopefully we get these reproduced at some point!!

Yes, pity the decal is off center but better than a broken one.

#151 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I bet you could sell 100 of the center one. Likely 25 to 50 of them very quickly because they always seem to be broken and most buyers would likely grab a spare. After that I think the rest of the run of 100 would sell over a few months or so. The others don't seem to be broken as often so I would hate to guess on those.

Yup. The center gets beat in general, the left gets wracked from deflections off the light kickback stand up target.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I would probably need to do all 3...then I could paint them and have them match. Not sure about the painted text though. I will have to pull mine off and study it a bit tonight. I'm not totally sure its a vac formed part...it almost appears to be some kind of cast clear resin.

Just sell them clear and let the buyers handle the paint, I'm good with that.

3 months later
#183 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Blue displays looked great in my machine, and beat the hell out of the nasty orange factory displays that were shot. To each their own, I guess....

I have blue on mine, they go well with the theme and cabinet.

20200703_131205 (resized).jpg20200703_131205 (resized).jpgResized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpegResized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Thank you everyone for your options and pictures
I ended up going with blue.
Ps. I’m loving this game more and more each week, it has the same addictive quality as ‘total nuclear annilhilation’ and the stereo sound has a beat that keeps you pumped. Such an underrated table [quoted image]

One of the most insane DE lightshows going, install Comet LED's and flashers and you are in for a treat.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That’s pretty good logic. It’s on my short list of wants once I get a bit more room. I even bought a set of the reproduction ice bergs/mountains in anticipation of eventually picking one up.

Its a really fun game with excellent play, lightshow and call outs. I think there is 8 different sound tracks! It is one of DE's best pre-DMD games.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

I know of four at the moment- Mine, Yours, Colson's and Frosty's in New York.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Interesting side note thanks for sharing.
I find the game more than challenging enough as is, and the tight ball lock shots have helped me improve my game on all machines. Plus the timed 'destroy fleet' shot is great practice for learning how to remain calm

The top left one is a bitch!

The destroy fleet is a great timed shot!

1 week later
#215 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Shoot, I kinda forgot about those since Jody only promoted them in his own thread! Of course I'm afraid new caves would only make my pf look that much worse in comparison... that whole slippery slope deal. Are any decent PFs floating around still? Seems like some folks here have had a few in the past.
On a side question: does anyone else's TA spark airballs like mad? I am constantly and amusingly baffled by how many times the glass smacks in some new fashion. I've checked my standup targets to ensure the backing posts are nice and straight / plumb, and replaced the cushioning foam. And yet still, the ball rebounds, leaps, crosses, and ricochets like mad... not sure if there are multiple places out of whack still, or if TA is "supposed" to be that chaotic?

Only one I really have noticed is the lazer kick re-light. The blue ones in the center I have replaced the plastic targets and no doubt added foam and made sure they were unbent when I put back together.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

No way, your not missing anything... TA is the bomb, I love it ... I took mine to pinfest a few weeks ago and the feedback I got was superb , most people have never seen it , but after they play it they can’t get enough of it (pinfest.com.au). I will never sell mine , fast, exciting, great light show and miss sexy always says ‘welcome commander’ what’s not to love

I think the fact it is Data East and not Williams/Bally plus made in limited numbers here hurts, just not that many people have seen one let alone played one. Some folks give the impression of being "pin snobs" and won't even consider playing anything but Bally/Williams.

Bring them all on! I like what I like. In addition to a dozen DE I also have Williams, Bally and Gottlieb with Space Shuttle being the current favorite in the restore queue.

On my Torpedo Alley I can state the SN is not listed online but is in the first batch of 100.

2 months later
#236 3 years ago

Thanks Dave!

20200628_185237 (resized).jpg20200628_185237 (resized).jpg
#238 3 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

with the topper! (we recorded a Laser War video that will be out in a few weeks....)

Thank you for the "behind the scenes" videos David, Data East are by far my favorite brand and I have the following.

Laser War
Secret Service
Torpedo Alley
Time Machine
Playboy
Robocop
Phantom of the Opera
Checkpoint
Star Trek
Hook
Star Wars
Last Action Hero
Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon 3

The topper shown is actually a rough prototype test piece, I hope to have the final unit done in the next month or two.

1 month later
#242 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Pretty sure that is my old game with some tweaks on it...if it isn't, its darn close!

Don't think it is, from Colson and before that HockeyMutt.

#244 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Okay, yeah...not mine. I sold mine to someone near Fredrick. Has my mountains though!

Yup, Colson purchased a set from you.

I know the machine well, almost purchased it before Colson snagged it.

1 month later
#253 2 years ago
Quoted from KCMike:

Looks like its going to have to be decals! I contacted Jeff at pinball pimp and got this response:
"I will never be making these as I cannot hold the detail in the art. There were either screen printed or decals to achieve this artwork"
I guess I didn't think about them being screen printed, but makes sense.

Retro referb has decent decal sets.

1 year later
#263 1 year ago
Quoted from Andvil82:

I appreciate those tips. Gonna buy new pinballs, bumper caps, and manual from Marco. Also going to buy a bunch of cleaning stuff to clean and wax it this weekend. Hopefully I can fix the plunger issue because that's really the only gameplay issue that's bothering me at the moment. I will also check the bulbs on the bumpers, definitely possible some stuff shook loose.

Just download the manual.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2603

#265 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I can't believe I never even heard of this game until a few months ago. Looks like my kind of playfield though, two flippers, the old 'lanes and pops' at the top, and tons of things to shoot at. Makes me want to play one.

Its a really fun game with an awesome light show.

Trivia: First pinball game with buy in option to continue play from where you ended.

#266 1 year ago

Feel free to ask questions!

20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg
1 year later
#301 38 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

Even a really good picture could help

I'll peek at mine this weekend and see if I can help.

#304 33 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

I would be grateful for any help via good pictures or scans

Sorry been tied up for several days, try again tomorrow.

Ping me via PM if you don't hear from me in a day or two.

#307 31 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

I would be grateful for any help via good pictures or scans

2nd good deed for the day.

Do this knowing odds are high a "new in package" copy will be for sale later on Ebay this week from the usual suspects.

Help out regardless to get another TA back in action.

Scanned in at 300 dpi, sharp mask on, medium backlight correction, scratch and speckle filter on.

ta grill.pngta grill.png
#308 31 days ago

Back together.

20240323_091523 (resized).jpg20240323_091523 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#311 17 days ago
Quoted from kba78:

Anyone out there willing to scan slings?

Soon as a buddy can move black hole out of the way i'll be able to pull the glass off and scan.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-torpedo-alley-club?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.