Torpedo Alley 5 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 4 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 2 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 3 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 1 (resized).jpg
TA Box Inside (resized).PNG
TA Box Mounted (resized).PNG
20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 6 years ago

Picked up TA #61 last week and have been busy getting it up and running. Power supply was no good, and apparently the new xPin one I bought was no good either. So I wired in a 5v phone charger to the 5v test point, and was able to get a few plays in last night. I have a lot more work to do, but I'm really liking the game so far. I think I am going to eventually work on figuring out how to wire in a shaker motor.

20180116_184617 (resized).jpg20180116_184617 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

I have been playing around with making some clear protectors for my mine to cut down on some of the air balls. The blue targets seemed to send the ball flying (even after adjustment), which is a great way to destroy the mountains. I'll report back with the long term results. Seems to be working so far in early testing. I replaced all the flipper coils on mine and rebuilt the flipper assemblies over the weekend...it really made the game play a lot faster, but also makes me fear destroying the machine when the balls lift off.

20180129_201358 (resized).jpg20180129_201358 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#44 6 years ago

Just an FYI, the two smallest caps in the 5v circuit (C2 and C7 I think) are usually the ones that cause the most issues. But since you are doing them all, you're all good. The two big ones next to each other are for the high voltage side (display). If you put an LED display in, you don't even need them.

#49 6 years ago

There was just one listed on here in the New England area.

1 week later
#58 6 years ago

I wouldn't sell mine for $2500 right now.

1 week later
#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

quick question for TA owners- what does the decal say on the right hand cave say? - i know is says "flipper" but not sure of the words under it.

20180307_204746 (resized).jpg20180307_204746 (resized).jpg

6 months later
#69 5 years ago

For those of you with cracked mountains, what would you pay for a reproduction set? They would be properly painted, but not have decals unfortunately.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

whatever it takes... within reason $ .... 2 of them are attached onto the playfield plastics you plan on doing those too?

It would be the plastic and mountain all in one piece like the original. I believe these were cast in some kind of mold, given the detail and texture of the outside surface. It may take a few tries, but I have some ideas on how it can be done. I could try vacuum forming them, but I'm afraid the rock detail will not come out at all in 1/8" thick material. Detail may show up in thinner material, but then you run the risk of breakage. The wheels are turning, and I plan to have a solution this winter.

1 year later
#121 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Ahoy Mates! I just joined the club a couple of days ago. I picked one up from an operator friend who had it buried in storage. He didn't have the time or desire to deal with it, so I got it for a great price. It needs to be cleaned badly and the rubbers are rotted out, but she fires right up. Lights work, sounds work and you can play a game...as much as you can without any rubbers on it.
Issues I noticed so far are the slings and the bottom two displays don't seem to be working right now which I will have to check into. I have the original manual too, but I am sure I will need some help along the way so any tips you have to offer are much appreciated.
It also came with an extra NOS plastic set that was buried in the back of the game which was a pleasant surprise. At first glance my plastics look good, so I might be able to sell some of these if people are in need. I'll try to remember to update the group with progress as I get into the game.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Even if you have no plans for repro, I would seriously consider having someone scan those plastics and save the files somewhere. There cannot be many sets of NOS plastics left out there for a machine that only had 1002 made. Congrats on the great find!

4 months later
#148 3 years ago

I have mine listed for sale, but im not in a hurry to sell. How many sets of mountains do you think would sell for this? 5? 50? They only made 1002 of them.

#152 3 years ago

I would probably need to do all 3...then I could paint them and have them match. Not sure about the painted text though. I will have to pull mine off and study it a bit tonight. I'm not totally sure its a vac formed part...it almost appears to be some kind of cast clear resin.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#154 3 years ago

Okay I pulled my set off. Definitely vac formed. They started with 1/8" material, but at the bottom of the mold, where they all break, its only .003"-.004". Check out the difference in material thickness from top left to bottom right on the closeup. I'd love to make them thicker, but that could cause mounting issues. I think if I used a plug, I could probably thicken up those bad areas a bit. There are some other considerations I need to work out also, as these would be female molds. I do not have a lot of experience with them, and it may be a lot of trial and error.

20200715_191458 (resized).jpg20200715_191458 (resized).jpg20200715_192057 (resized).jpg20200715_192057 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#167 3 years ago

I am working on these as soon as I get done running Road Show and Road Kings ramps. I am about 2/3 of the way there now. I especially need to get these done so I can actually sell my TA soon.

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Why would you ever sell?? It is right up there with Lazer War. One of the best DEs

I've had my fun with it, and I only have room for so many games. Time for something new!

1 month later
#173 3 years ago

Have not gotten to them yet...Busy last few weeks and I have a large order of ramps I am finishing up soon hopefully. I probably will not be working as hard on ramps in September due to the weather being so great here this time of year. In July I was working 45-50 hours a week at my day job and then coming home and doing another 30+ hours a week on ramps. I'll probably be at about 1/2 to 1/3 of that until the weather gets crappy.

2 weeks later
#174 3 years ago

The Torpedo Alley Mountain Update can be read here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-o-matic-ramp-thread/page/4#post-5868121

20200923_172354 (resized).jpg20200923_172354 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#175 3 years ago

Doing some test fitting:

20201002_200913 (resized).jpg20201002_200913 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#182 3 years ago

Blue displays looked great in my machine, and beat the hell out of the nasty orange factory displays that were shot. To each their own, I guess....

2 weeks later
#196 3 years ago

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

2 weeks later
#227 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Got my new mountains...early Xmas gift. Thanks Jody!!!
[quoted image]

Thanks Colson!!

4 months later
#241 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Permission to come on board!
Picked up this sweet Torpedo Alley this weekend and finally got it set up. [quoted image]

Pretty sure that is my old game with some tweaks on it...if it isn't, its darn close!

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Don't think it is, from Colson and before that HockeyMutt.

Okay, yeah...not mine. I sold mine to someone near Fredrick. Has my mountains though!

1 year later
#269 1 year ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Delighted to have just joined the club with a project TA that was in storage for about 20 years. Gradually piecing it together and troubleshooting mysteries. All connectors are now in place and all fuses test as good, but when I plug in the game I get no sign of power. Looking at the square silver box mounted on the right where the power cord runs inside the cabinet, I see what appears to be a fuse holder but with no fuse in it, so perhaps this is the problem. Can someone verify if this is indeed a fuse holder and, if so, what value fuse it takes? I can't discern this from the manual. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions, so any guidance is appreciated.

You have some nice new mountains headed your way today too...thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JodyG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-torpedo-alley-club?tu=JodyG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.