Topic Stats

• 238 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 93 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200628_185237 (resized).jpg
5D7FD9D9-017E-44E2-AA78-26A9E6D08AE3 (resized).jpeg
444E31F6-8850-4A4E-99C3-4153C5EBAEED (resized).jpeg
834DAF4C-D81D-4C00-8650-0C3E4F72AF41 (resized).jpeg
52365D1C-C261-4CD6-8C38-53FFF036AAFA (resized).jpeg
E4BE5243-743C-4C91-BCD6-852BE89DEA9F (resized).jpeg
3FC90D85-2DA9-432F-832E-049152FBEA23 (resized).jpeg
DA5DFB9E-77FC-4AB9-A08A-657D08782148 (resized).jpeg
5F4133DD-E812-43BE-ACF9-3FC942C84561 (resized).jpeg
1E50FDCA-6319-47E7-8E20-05DBD109CCAB (resized).jpeg
829C88CF-4E0F-4F8E-A7B6-C1F0DE4FB0D1 (resized).jpeg
E066CC45-8EE9-4E54-BD4F-2E8BBECBF79B (resized).jpeg
666BFB79-C7AB-48C9-8371-A2B89DA058C8 (resized).jpeg
5D86E2F3-F250-46B7-AC58-23F407C880AF (resized).jpeg
47951C9B-F7B4-4759-880B-896A2BFBA9E4 (resized).jpeg
C30F37BF-FCE9-484C-8187-3119D4668005 (resized).jpeg

There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Ironically, I just registered my serial. But apparently Iso Frost has a board out of my game, or owned and registered this one before.

Ha Ha similar thing happened to me with this same title. I logged into IPSNDB to register mine & someone from on here had already registered it using a picture I had posted of my board set in a help wanted thread

#202 3 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

it fizzled out and I heard some ops even removed them from location as "not good earners", and either stored them or might have trashed or sold them.

I find that the game suffers from:
1) Seven digit displays... easy to turn over... same problem with Bally six digit games.
2) Some features do not get harder as you play the game.
3) Easy bonus maxout/easy multipliers maxouts.

Side Note:
The game has leftover program from Laser War.
Multi-player games would have display call outs of:
a) Behind player xx
b) Tied player xx
c) Ahead player xx
I believe never implemented.

#203 3 months ago

Easy to turn over? I wouldn’t say it’s easy. In ten years I’ve done it 3 times and I do play the game a lot.

I’m ok with the features not getting harder. I have the game set on extra hard and it does keep the scores lower.

Interesting about the call outs not being used for scoring. Kinda glad they kept that out.

#204 3 months ago

Interesting side note thanks for sharing.

I find the game more than challenging enough as is, and the tight ball lock shots have helped me improve my game on all machines. Plus the timed 'destroy fleet' shot is great practice for learning how to remain calm

Quoted from vec-tor:

I find that the game suffers from:
1) Seven digit displays... easy to turn over... same problem with Bally six digit games.
2) Some features do not get harder as you play the game.
3) Easy bonus maxout/easy multipliers maxouts.
Side Note:
The game has leftover program from Laser War.
Multi-player games would have display call outs of:
a) Behind player xx
b) Tied player xx
c) Ahead player xx
I believe never implemented.

#205 3 months ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Interesting side note thanks for sharing.
I find the game more than challenging enough as is, and the tight ball lock shots have helped me improve my game on all machines. Plus the timed 'destroy fleet' shot is great practice for learning how to remain calm

The top left one is a bitch!

The destroy fleet is a great timed shot!

#206 3 months ago

Mirror blades

hi guys I’m thinking of installing mirror blades, will standard Data East ones fit ?

I would appreciate any input or suggestions

#207 3 months ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Mirror blades
hi guys I’m thinking of installing mirror blades, will standard Data East ones fit ?
I would appreciate any input or suggestions

I put some in mine but I had to modify the back corners by cutting a small piece out on each side to accommodate the playfield hinge setup.

#208 3 months ago

I just bought one of these on eBay and connected my Torpedo Alley to a sub woofer .... absolutely amazing result I love it !

1E50FDCA-6319-47E7-8E20-05DBD109CCAB (resized).jpeg
#209 3 months ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I am very curious about how many Torpedo Alleys still exist in the world. If only there was a way to find out
I know it’s been said before ... but with such a low production run , surely there can’t be more than 200 left ?
Any ideas on how to work it out ?
Perhaps someone with more computer knowledge then me could set up one of those little survey thingys

Quoted from JodyG:

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

About 800 TA’s went overseas. So in America there should only be 200 or so games. Quite a few are reimports. That’s why the default language is German on the ROMs.

Quoted from Colsond3:

Ironically, I just registered my serial. But apparently Iso Frost has a board out of my game, or owned and registered this one before. [quoted image]

Yes, IPSND is one of my favorite websites to get a decent estimate of what titles are out there.

Kinda funny but if you’ll notice about a third of the Torpedo Alley serial numbers registered have been submitted by me. You can tell what machine I’m going to buy next based off of what serial numbers I’m submitting

Sorry to everyone I’ve already registered,
I usually research the hell out of it and then whenever I find an unsubmitted number I post it for posterity. It’s easier than asking every owner to signup and submit their own games. (Take a look at Baby Pac, Orbitor 1 and Granny and the Gators, most of them are all mine! Some are even from old photos I’ve found online)

For Colson’s I’m pretty sure I bought the old display board out of that game and it’s in mine currently
Turned out mine wasn’t booting from a short in the display which was a huge relief!

My Torpedo Alley actually came with a partially populated spare playfield and has the boards from at least 1 other TA. So effectively 3 of them were combined to make the one I’ve got currently, which still has some pesky matrix issues I’m chasing.

#210 3 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Sorry to everyone I’ve already registered,
I usually research the hell out of it and then whenever I find an unsubmitted number I post it for posterity. It’s easier than asking every owner to signup and submit their own games.

I thought the point of IPSND was to only submit games or parts you own, so the location is also tracked.

I didn’t know you were supposed to just randomly submit serial numbers based on photographs you find of games? That doesn’t really confirm the game still actually exists.

#211 3 months ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I thought the point of IPSND was to only submit games or parts you own, so the location is also tracked.
I didn’t know you were supposed to just randomly submit serial numbers based on photographs you find of games? That doesn’t really confirm the game still actually exists.

Oh no, that’s not the point at all. The point is to compile the valid, existing serial numbers. We don’t know what numbering system, range, or numbers were actually used.
Many manufactures straight up lied about production runs and fabricated serial numbers to mislead their competitors. If you look at the top submitters, it’s mostly just from eBay parts listings.

Now ideally the games should still existent, but even if it no longer exists you should record the serial number before its lost forever and give an update on its fate, as I have for the unfortunate games that could not be saved. That way a record of that number exists and we know it was valid in use for the purpose of the serial number range.

For example, I visit many collections and I ask the owners if I can submit their machines for them. Everyone so far has said yes, and a few expressed surprise when they learned about the database. My friends now just send me numbers for their new pick-ups because they know I enjoy it.

Part numbers can be just as helpful, as long as they’re entered as a part and not a complete machine. They still let us know that a real game existed for this serial number and sometimes it fills gaps in the date codes. Certain Williams numbers have been identify and were used to denote the excess parts made to serve as spares. They added special prefixes to them usually.

The location isn’t as important. That’s why they encourage duplication submissions, it simply allows us to know where there games end up in their travels. It can also possibly help determine theft the more complete it becomes. I leave the location empty if I don’t know where it is, or I enter it wherever I came across the machine.

The Serial Number Database is like us reverse engineering the production numbers. Look at the modern Sterns. Those have a TON of submissions and it’s shocking how FEW they seem to make of them. Stern won’t tell us production numbers anytime soon, so it’s up to us to try and decode the secrets.

tl;dr - Sorry about the essay, I know how tedious they can be to read. With all the known numbers we can figure out how many were actually made.

#212 89 days ago

All this talk about TA rarity and IPSND reminded me to go look, and it seems someone registered my game after I posted about it here. Ha! I guess the number of known TAs stays static another day.

For a game so allegedly rare, though, I'm surprised at how many are nearby. I have one I bought in IL a few years ago. A barcade in Louisvillehas one. I saw *another* for sale in the local CL a couple years back. And I know of another in the Cincy area. That's four in a 100 mile radius... and this area isn't really a pin "hotspot" as much as others.

On another note, having seen others in person and here, I'm convinced mine must be one of the most beat survivors out there. The playfield presents well with all color and graphics but only because of the desperate patchwork mess of (somewhat dull) mylar. The mountains are of course more epoxy than plastic. For the backbox, I had to get a metal plate fabricated to keep the bottom panel's ends from sagging down over the sides. But holy spiteful hell, is it one of the favorite, fastest, best-playing games in my collection. Everybody loves it. I wish a replacement (or better OEM) playfield was out there for it, it truly deserves the love. And I still don't understand why this game isn't rated higher in the community... for all the silly attention other "rare" (and not so rare!) games get, this one really should rate higher.

#213 88 days ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

All this talk about TA rarity and IPSND reminded me to go look, and it seems someone registered my game after I posted about it here. Ha! I guess the number of known TAs stays static another day.
For a game so allegedly rare, though, I'm surprised at how many are nearby. I have one I bought in IL a few years ago. A barcade in Louisvillehas one. I saw *another* for sale in the local CL a couple years back. And I know of another in the Cincy area. That's four in a 100 mile radius... and this area isn't really a pin "hotspot" as much as others.
On another note, having seen others in person and here, I'm convinced mine must be one of the most beat survivors out there. The playfield presents well with all color and graphics but only because of the desperate patchwork mess of (somewhat dull) mylar. The mountains are of course more epoxy than plastic. For the backbox, I had to get a metal plate fabricated to keep the bottom panel's ends from sagging down over the sides. But holy spiteful hell, is it one of the favorite, fastest, best-playing games in my collection. Everybody loves it. I wish a replacement (or better OEM) playfield was out there for it, it truly deserves the love. And I still don't understand why this game isn't rated higher in the community... for all the silly attention other "rare" (and not so rare!) games get, this one really should rate higher.

Well, at least now replacement mountains are available - and they are really well done.

#214 88 days ago
Quoted from zahner:

Well, at least now replacement mountains are available - and they are really well done.

Shoot, I kinda forgot about those since Jody only promoted them in his own thread! Of course I'm afraid new caves would only make my pf look that much worse in comparison... that whole slippery slope deal. Are any decent PFs floating around still? Seems like some folks here have had a few in the past.

On a side question: does anyone else's TA spark airballs like mad? I am constantly and amusingly baffled by how many times the glass smacks in some new fashion. I've checked my standup targets to ensure the backing posts are nice and straight / plumb, and replaced the cushioning foam. And yet still, the ball rebounds, leaps, crosses, and ricochets like mad... not sure if there are multiple places out of whack still, or if TA is "supposed" to be that chaotic?

#215 88 days ago

Shoot, I kinda forgot about those since Jody only promoted them in his own thread! Of course I'm afraid new caves would only make my pf look that much worse in comparison... that whole slippery slope deal. Are any decent PFs floating around still? Seems like some folks here have had a few in the past.
On a side question: does anyone else's TA spark airballs like mad? I am constantly and amusingly baffled by how many times the glass smacks in some new fashion. I've checked my standup targets to ensure the backing posts are nice and straight / plumb, and replaced the cushioning foam. And yet still, the ball rebounds, leaps, crosses, and ricochets like mad... not sure if there are multiple places out of whack still, or if TA is "supposed" to be that chaotic?

Only one I really have noticed is the lazer kick re-light. The blue ones in the center I have replaced the plastic targets and no doubt added foam and made sure they were unbent when I put back together.

#216 88 days ago

According to this link the PAPA copy of Torpedo Alley is still available for purchase if anyone is interested.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=C182838E6193FD56!30975&ithint=file%2cxlsx&authkey=!ADdTVGe7AGwGy6Q

#217 88 days ago

$2600, I imagine it’s probably well played. Never had a chance to visit them but I know their games had been put through the wringer with the level of play they get.

#218 88 days ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

$2600, I imagine it’s probably well played. Never had a chance to visit them but I know their games had been put through the wringer with the level of play they get.

Actually, it sounds like you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. They had/have VERY few games that are worn and/or abused. Most titles are either in above average or very nice condition. “Put through the ringer” makes it sounds like they were are messed up and worn down.

They had hundreds of games that probably got a couple hundred plays a year, over the course of 4-5 days... I mean, I play my games more often than that and all my games look and play great.

#219 88 days ago

Yeah, I always wanted to get to PAPA just to try out their games - because if anyone knew how a game *should* play, and was determined to maintain it to at least that standard, it was them.

Sadly I never made it and now never will. But I would not hesitate to buy a game from them based on what I'd heard.

Of course, the fact that their TA still goes wanting amongst the feeding frenzy that began the moment they announced their closure, only proves my point above. Are we somehow stupid for liking this game? I'm not ashamed, but it does make me wonder what I'm "missing".

#220 88 days ago

Yeah, I always wanted to get to PAPA just to try out their games - because if anyone knew how a game *should* play, and was determined to maintain it to at least that standard, it was them.
Sadly I never made it and now never will. But I would not hesitate to buy a game from them based on what I'd heard.
Of course, the fact that their TA still goes wanting amongst the feeding frenzy that began the moment they announced their closure, only proves my point above. Are we somehow stupid for liking this game? I'm not ashamed, but it does make me wonder what I'm "missing".

It’s just not a super well known and popular title. Could be priced a bit high. I have had mine for over 10 years... don’t think I would ever sell it. I think it’s a lot of fun and if no one else does, it doesn’t bother me a bit.

#221 88 days ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It’s just not a super well known and popular title. Could be priced a bit high. I have had mine for over 10 years... don’t think I would ever sell it. I think it’s a lot of fun and if no one else does, it doesn’t bother me a bit.

Perfectly said. I’ve bought the game 3 times now....always want one back.

$2600 is a tad high for this title. $1500 to $2k depending on condition, and it would certainly be sold. For some reason, they seem to always come up in a clump of two or three for sale at the same time, then stagnant for a while.

#222 88 days ago

That is funny! Honestly, some people that come over to my place really enjoy the game, and think it’s cool and quirky...and other people could care less about it.

Regardless, I love playing it, the sounds and the shots. Even something as minor as the rear flashers synchronized with the pops is a cool feature. Not to mention the multiball light show with all GI, flashers and top PF inserts flashing. Killer.

#223 87 days ago

No way, your not missing anything... TA is the bomb, I love it ... I took mine to pinfest a few weeks ago and the feedback I got was superb , most people have never seen it , but after they play it they can’t get enough of it (pinfest.com.au). I will never sell mine , fast, exciting, great light show and miss sexy always says ‘welcome commander’ what’s not to love

#224 87 days ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

No way, your not missing anything... TA is the bomb, I love it ... I took mine to pinfest a few weeks ago and the feedback I got was superb , most people have never seen it , but after they play it they can’t get enough of it (pinfest.com.au). I will never sell mine , fast, exciting, great light show and miss sexy always says ‘welcome commander’ what’s not to love

I think the fact it is Data East and not Williams/Bally plus made in limited numbers here hurts, just not that many people have seen one let alone played one. Some folks give the impression of being "pin snobs" and won't even consider playing anything but Bally/Williams.

Bring them all on! I like what I like. In addition to a dozen DE I also have Williams, Bally and Gottlieb with Space Shuttle being the current favorite in the restore queue.

On my Torpedo Alley I can state the SN is not listed online but is in the first batch of 100.

#225 87 days ago

Well, I'd figure as many folks as PAPA / Pinburgh hosted over the years, the title should be well known to the crowd that picked the bones clean!

But I agree with all the positive sentiments... it's a true gem of the era and arguably better than its B/W contemporaries. The BG art arguably the only subjective miss, even though I personally find its hokey stupidity to be part of its charm. And I'd rather look at that than, say, LAH or DH.

Maybe some secrets are still better off well kept. I'm just honestly surprised in this case!

Ah well. Maybe all the better meanwhile...: if anyone ever comes across any swap candidate TA playfields, please let me know!

#226 85 days ago

Got my new mountains...early Xmas gift. Thanks Jody!!!

5F4133DD-E812-43BE-ACF9-3FC942C84561 (resized).jpeg
#227 83 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Got my new mountains...early Xmas gift. Thanks Jody!!!
[quoted image]

Thanks Colson!!

3 weeks later
#229 56 days ago

Holy crap, where has this game been all my life!?!? Saw it for the first time today streaming an old IFPA tourney while I was working out. It came on and everything came to a screeching halt. I had to find what the game was they were playing.
This game looks like one I'd like to add. I seem to like the older titles.
Probably a pipe dream to find one in real nice condition and everything intact.
I'll be hanging out on this thread for no reason other than I'm an instant fan of this title. So many sleepers out there and thankfully they aren't priced out of the crazy zone like the mainstream popular ones.
r/
Mike

#230 55 days ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Holy crap, where has this game been all my life!?!? Saw it for the first time today streaming an old IFPA tourney while I was working out. It came on and everything came to a screeching halt. I had to find what the game was they were playing.
This game looks like one I'd like to add. I seem to like the older titles.
Probably a pipe dream to find one in real nice condition and everything intact.
I'll be hanging out on this thread for no reason other than I'm an instant fan of this title. So many sleepers out there and thankfully they aren't priced out of the crazy zone like the mainstream popular ones.
r/
Mike

Well, some people see the truth! Mainstream expensive titles are literally everywhere. Every show, every barcade, every collection, every frickin’ where. Makes wanting to own most of them much less appealing every day that goes bye.

2 weeks later
#231 36 days ago

New mountains finally installed. Thanks Jody. A tremendous difference. My middle mountain was beat to absolute hell.

DA5DFB9E-77FC-4AB9-A08A-657D08782148 (resized).jpeg3FC90D85-2DA9-432F-832E-049152FBEA23 (resized).jpegE4BE5243-743C-4C91-BCD6-852BE89DEA9F (resized).jpeg

#232 36 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

New mountains finally installed. Thanks Jody. A tremendous difference. My middle mountain was beat to absolute hell.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That game is glorious!
Looks to be in super shape.
How can I call myself a Sailor if I don't add this title at some point. Right next to my F-14 for life.

#233 36 days ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

That game is glorious!
Looks to be in super shape.
How can I call myself a Sailor if I don't add this title at some point. Right next to my F-14 for life.

Definitely. Get one if you can. Or you can have this one when I’m done with it.

It’s the second or third one I’ve had, and this is the nicest. A few wear spots I’ll touch up, and need to tend to some light sockets under the PF. Cab is really nice. Could use a new translite.

New RD display, shopped with custom Titan rubber kit I created, cool white LED’s, new flipper bats, spinner decals, drop decals, NOS plastic set, all metal polished, red shooter rod, etc.

Buddy was babysitting it for me since July. Glad to have it back.

444E31F6-8850-4A4E-99C3-4153C5EBAEED (resized).jpeg5D7FD9D9-017E-44E2-AA78-26A9E6D08AE3 (resized).jpeg834DAF4C-D81D-4C00-8650-0C3E4F72AF41 (resized).jpeg52365D1C-C261-4CD6-8C38-53FFF036AAFA (resized).jpeg

#234 36 days ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely. Get one if you can. Or you can have this one when I’m done with it.
It’s the second or third one I’ve had, and this is the nicest. A few wear spots I’ll touch up, and need to tend to some light sockets under the PF. Cab is really nice. Could use a new translite.
New RD display, shopped with custom Titan rubber kit I created, cool white LED’s, new flipper bats, spinner decals, drop decals, NOS plastic set, all metal polished, red shooter rod, etc.
Buddy was babysitting it for me since July. Glad to have it back.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

WHAT!!! No crotch cut! to the gal on the backbox

4 weeks later
#235 8 days ago

There is a new 'virtual pinball' video of Torpedo Alley from Mike Lorraine and me. You might find it interesting.

#236 8 days ago

Thanks Dave!

20200628_185237 (resized).jpg
#237 8 days ago

with the topper! (we recorded a Laser War video that will be out in a few weeks....)

#238 7 days ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

with the topper! (we recorded a Laser War video that will be out in a few weeks....)

Thank you for the "behind the scenes" videos David, Data East are by far my favorite brand and I have the following.

Laser War
Secret Service
Torpedo Alley
Time Machine
Playboy
Robocop
Phantom of the Opera
Checkpoint
Star Trek
Hook
Star Wars
Last Action Hero
Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon 3

The topper shown is actually a rough prototype test piece, I hope to have the final unit done in the next month or two.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
B & K Mods
$ 349.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 19.99
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 238 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside