Torpedo Alley 5 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 4 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 2 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 3 (resized).jpg
Torpedo Alley 1 (resized).jpg
TA Box Inside (resized).PNG
TA Box Mounted (resized).PNG
20220625_125502(0) (resized).jpg
There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I bet you could sell 100 of the center one. Likely 25 to 50 of them very quickly because they always seem to be broken and most buyers would likely grab a spare. After that I think the rest of the run of 100 would sell over a few months or so. The others don't seem to be broken as often so I would hate to guess on those.

Yup. The center gets beat in general, the left gets wracked from deflections off the light kickback stand up target.

#152 3 years ago

I would probably need to do all 3...then I could paint them and have them match. Not sure about the painted text though. I will have to pull mine off and study it a bit tonight. I'm not totally sure its a vac formed part...it almost appears to be some kind of cast clear resin.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I would probably need to do all 3...then I could paint them and have them match. Not sure about the painted text though. I will have to pull mine off and study it a bit tonight. I'm not totally sure its a vac formed part...it almost appears to be some kind of cast clear resin.

Just sell them clear and let the buyers handle the paint, I'm good with that.

#154 3 years ago

Okay I pulled my set off. Definitely vac formed. They started with 1/8" material, but at the bottom of the mold, where they all break, its only .003"-.004". Check out the difference in material thickness from top left to bottom right on the closeup. I'd love to make them thicker, but that could cause mounting issues. I think if I used a plug, I could probably thicken up those bad areas a bit. There are some other considerations I need to work out also, as these would be female molds. I do not have a lot of experience with them, and it may be a lot of trial and error.

20200715_191458 (resized).jpg20200715_191458 (resized).jpg20200715_192057 (resized).jpg20200715_192057 (resized).jpg
#155 3 years ago

if reproduced I'm down for a set .... I know its a relatively low production game but practically all that are still out there could use them & it seems the game is starting to gain a mild bit of recognition

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

if reproduced I'm down for a set .... I know its a relatively low production game but practically all that are still out there could use them & it seems the game is starting to gain a mild bit of recognition

Totally in.

#157 3 years ago

Colson bought my Torpedo Alley but I am sure he would take a set or two. Mine had at least one broken building when I sold it to him.

#158 3 years ago

I’d buy a set. May be a good 3D printing project?

#159 3 years ago

I might buy a set and I don't even own the pin. Hard pin to find locally.

#160 3 years ago

Obviously as we lasted talked, I’d buy a set Jody!

Quoted from JodyG:

Okay I pulled my set off. Definitely vac formed. They started with 1/8" material, but at the bottom of the mold, where they all break, its only .003"-.004". Check out the difference in material thickness from top left to bottom right on the closeup. I'd love to make them thicker, but that could cause mounting issues. I think if I used a plug, I could probably thicken up those bad areas a bit. There are some other considerations I need to work out also, as these would be female molds. I do not have a lot of experience with them, and it may be a lot of trial and error.
[quoted image][quoted image]

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I have mine listed for sale, but im not in a hurry to sell. How many sets of mountains do you think would sell for this? 5? 50? They only made 1002 of them.

You would sell as many as there are games left, plus some. This one is the second one I’ve owned, and every TA I’ve ever seen has had broken mountains. Well, at least one of the 3 that was broken.

And if people have a game without them broken, they would certainly buy a set just to have as backups.

#162 3 years ago

I think I saw someone a few pages back selling one of the mountains for $225 or something.

I’m not really down for that ridiculousness or hypothetically paying $600 for three plastics. But if somebody made them and it was reasonably priced, I’d be in for two sets.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Just sell them clear and let the buyers handle the paint, I'm good with that.

I’d be perfectly fine with that also. That would allow people to customize it a little bit.

#163 3 years ago

For me it is the middle piece that got busted up...
The ball shooting across the playfield into the entrance ramp and not hitting that
ramp just right.... major ricochet destruction.

#164 3 years ago

Count me in for a set as well. Thanks for considering making these!

#165 3 years ago

Clear caves would be a great piece to have. Make them clear to keep prices low, as it should not be difficult for folks to paint as desired on their own.

The tricky part would be the text, but I could possibly develop decals for those if the caves were available. I have an Alps printer that can do yellow, and it's even slightly translucent. The trickiest part would be to paint under the decal to maintain that translucency. The decals would likely have to go on top of the caves. Or perhaps I could reverse-print to apply them underneath, before painting...

My caves were all in decent shape but had been reinforced with numerous epoxy repairs before I got my TA. Love this game so much... it's been a bit of a maintenance pig compared to my others, but such a fun stupid silly game.

1 week later
#166 3 years ago

Would be in for 2 sets

#167 3 years ago

I am working on these as soon as I get done running Road Show and Road Kings ramps. I am about 2/3 of the way there now. I especially need to get these done so I can actually sell my TA soon.

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I am working on these as soon as I get done running Road Show and Road Kings ramps. I am about 2/3 of the way there now. I especially need to get these done so I can actually sell my TA soon.

I'm right around the corner in Honey Brook and have a TA if you need anything.

#169 3 years ago

Please put me down for a set.

thanks!

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Why would you ever sell?? It is right up there with Lazer War. One of the best DEs

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Why would you ever sell?? It is right up there with Lazer War. One of the best DEs

I've had my fun with it, and I only have room for so many games. Time for something new!

1 month later
#172 3 years ago

BUMP for interest in these!

How is progress going on production?

#173 3 years ago

Have not gotten to them yet...Busy last few weeks and I have a large order of ramps I am finishing up soon hopefully. I probably will not be working as hard on ramps in September due to the weather being so great here this time of year. In July I was working 45-50 hours a week at my day job and then coming home and doing another 30+ hours a week on ramps. I'll probably be at about 1/2 to 1/3 of that until the weather gets crappy.

2 weeks later
#174 3 years ago

The Torpedo Alley Mountain Update can be read here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ramp-o-matic-ramp-thread/page/4#post-5868121

20200923_172354 (resized).jpg20200923_172354 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#175 3 years ago

Doing some test fitting:

20201002_200913 (resized).jpg20201002_200913 (resized).jpg
#176 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Doing some test fitting:

Those look awesome!

3 weeks later
#177 3 years ago

Hi guys, I bought my Torpedo Alley 6 months ago, she is pretty beaten up and I can't wait to restore her. Everything works but she needs some TLC. What an awesome game ... I love it So addictive and fun I'm looking forward to reading through this thread to find out some more info about the game.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Love mine. Will never sell it. Great game and always fun to play. The sounds and lighting are fantastic. Perfect 80's cheese that we all know and love.

My thoughts exactly

1 week later
#179 3 years ago

What do you guys think about upgrading to a blue (LED) display ? I've never seen one in real life only a photo in this thread. Do the blue displays look good in real life?

IMG_6430 (resized).jpgIMG_6430 (resized).jpg
#180 3 years ago

No, I personally think they are the worst possible display option you can choose.

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I'm looking forward to reading through this thread to find out some more info about the game.

Like it was one of Data East's expensive back glass to fix and make public friendly.

#182 3 years ago

Blue displays looked great in my machine, and beat the hell out of the nasty orange factory displays that were shot. To each their own, I guess....

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Blue displays looked great in my machine, and beat the hell out of the nasty orange factory displays that were shot. To each their own, I guess....

I have blue on mine, they go well with the theme and cabinet.

20200703_131205 (resized).jpg20200703_131205 (resized).jpgResized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpegResized_15946456146212371012917672479985_21431624458362 (resized).jpeg
#184 3 years ago

Original for me. I don’t like replacement LED displays and I really don’t like blue LED displays.
C30F37BF-FCE9-484C-8187-3119D4668005 (resized).jpegC30F37BF-FCE9-484C-8187-3119D4668005 (resized).jpeg

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

What do you guys think about upgrading to a blue (LED) display ? I've never seen one in real life only a photo in this thread. Do the blue displays look good in real life?

I have a blue Rottendog in mine too. I like it, and it looks way more bright and crisp in person than in photos (but FYI - Rottendog’s doesn’t have brightness control like the XPin display).

47951C9B-F7B4-4759-880B-896A2BFBA9E4 (resized).jpeg47951C9B-F7B4-4759-880B-896A2BFBA9E4 (resized).jpeg5D86E2F3-F250-46B7-AC58-23F407C880AF (resized).jpeg5D86E2F3-F250-46B7-AC58-23F407C880AF (resized).jpeg
#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

I have a blue Rottendog in mine too. I like it, and it looks way more bright and crisp in person than in photos (but FYI - Rottendog’s doesn’t have brightness control like the XPin display). [quoted image][quoted image]

OT:Colsond3 can you take a picture of the poster/picture frame on the lower left?
It looks really cool.

#187 3 years ago

Anybody in this thread that has replaced their displays with new ones happen to have a working Display 3 or Display 4 that they would sell? My display 3 and 4 are out, so I need to get them replaced. Let me know. Thanks!

Also, if anyone needs a Power Supply board for their Torpedo Alley (or many other Bally / WMS / DE games) I am selling this brand new one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/104881

2 weeks later
#188 3 years ago

Thank you everyone for your options and pictures

I ended up going with blue.

Ps. I’m loving this game more and more each week, it has the same addictive quality as ‘total nuclear annilhilation’ and the stereo sound has a beat that keeps you pumped. Such an underrated table

666BFB79-C7AB-48C9-8371-A2B89DA058C8 (resized).jpeg666BFB79-C7AB-48C9-8371-A2B89DA058C8 (resized).jpeg
#189 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Ps. I’m loving this game more and more each week, it has the same addictive quality as ‘total nuclear annilhilation’ and the stereo sound has a beat that keeps you pumped. Such an underrated table

Nice. And certainly an underrated game. Well put together, as cheesy as it is. Definitely one of the more unique pins in that era. DE light shows rule, especially comparing to what else was out at the time.

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

OT:Colsond3 can you take a picture of the poster/picture frame on the lower left?
It looks really cool.

Controversial Weird Tales cover from October 1933. That was at my buddy Dave’s house, who is babysitting my TA while I move. We shopped and worked on it there. Have to go grab it. He has a print of that WT waiting for me also.

Here’s the full pic.

E066CC45-8EE9-4E54-BD4F-2E8BBECBF79B (resized).jpegE066CC45-8EE9-4E54-BD4F-2E8BBECBF79B (resized).jpeg

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

Thank you everyone for your options and pictures
Ps. I’m loving this game more and more each week, it has the same addictive quality as ‘total nuclear annilhilation’ and the stereo sound has a beat that keeps you pumped. Such an underrated table [quoted image]

One of the most insane DE lightshows going, install Comet LED's and flashers and you are in for a treat.

#192 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Controversial Weird Tales cover from October 1933. That was at my buddy Dave’s house, who is babysitting my TA while I move. We shopped and worked on it there. Have to go grab it. He has a print of that WT waiting for me also.
Here’s the full pic.
[quoted image]

All of the Weird Tales covers from that era are controversial! My favorite reading of all time - all the way to the end of the run in the 50's. Some of the best fantasy/genre material ever printed including Lovecraft, Howard, and CAS, and may others.

I have about 20 of them total...problem is that pulp material wasn't made to last very long.

#193 3 years ago

I am very curious about how many Torpedo Alleys still exist in the world. If only there was a way to find out

I know it’s been said before ... but with such a low production run , surely there can’t be more than 200 left ?

Any ideas on how to work it out ?

Perhaps someone with more computer knowledge then me could set up one of those little survey thingys

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Whitewater:

I am very curious about how many Torpedo Alleys still exist in the world. If only there was a way to find out
I know it’s been said before ... but with such a low production run , surely there can’t be more than 200 left ?

Not sure that low, but it might be close. You figure overall, 1,002 produced.

For more rare or lower production games, I usually slice that overall number at least in half right off the bat. Games that died, were discarded by ops, otherwise destroyed or sent to dumps at some point. 59 Pinsiders have the game in their collection, and 10 "reported" public locations to play the game. That's 69 (maybe a few less given that a couple people with the games in their collection may also have it at one of the reported locations).

There's probably 100 or 150 more in warehouses around the world withering away. Ironically, this game apparently wasn't very popular, only getting a good amount of play when it was brand new. After that, it fizzled out and I heard some ops even removed them from location as "not good earners", and either stored them or might have trashed or sold them. Even later as more and more home collectors grew the popularity wasn't there.

I also know 4 or 5 people that have one that either aren't on Pinside, or that don't list their collections.

I bought my first TA back in 2012, and I think I paid $550 for it. Granted it wasn't booting (had to replace a bridge rectifier), but he was an old operator and said he wouldn't have wanted more than $700 for it even if it was working. Guy was trying to sell it for a while and didn't get a lot of interest, and it was a pretty nice example. I thought the game was awesome once I got it working.

There's not a lot of ad history on here, but even the first ad listed back in 2015 said "make offer." He had it at $1,400 obo. There are currently no want or for sale ads for the game either. There may also be some in Europe or other places in the world floating around. Bally, DE and Sega shipped a lot of games overseas.

If I had to guess, I would say probably 300 - 350 still out there?

I haven't conjured up an algorithm or anything like that, just guessing from my time and experience in the hobby, reading a ton, and the number of games I've heard of or come across.

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Not sure that low, but it might be close. You figure overall, 1,002 produced.
For more rare or lower production games, I usually slice that overall number at least in half right off the bat. Games that died, were discarded by ops, otherwise destroyed or sent to dumps at some point. 59 Pinsiders have the game in their collection, and 10 "reported" public locations to play the game. That's 69 (maybe a few less given that a couple people with the games in their collection may also have it at one of the reported locations).
There's probably 100 or 150 more in warehouses around the world withering away. Ironically, this game apparently wasn't very popular, only getting a good amount of play when it was brand new. After that, it fizzled out and I heard some ops even removed them from location as "not good earners", and either stored them or might have trashed or sold them. Even later as more and more home collectors grew the popularity wasn't there.
I also know 4 or 5 people that have one that either aren't on Pinside, or that don't list their collections.
I bought my first TA back in 2012, and I think I paid $550 for it. Granted it wasn't booting (had to replace a bridge rectifier), but he was an old operator and said he wouldn't have wanted more than $700 for it even if it was working. Guy was trying to sell it for a while and didn't get a lot of interest, and it was a pretty nice example. I thought the game was awesome once I got it working.
There's not a lot of ad history on here, but even the first ad listed back in 2015 said "make offer." He had it at $1,400 obo. There are currently no want or for sale ads for the game either. There may also be some in Europe or other places in the world floating around. Bally, DE and Sega shipped a lot of games overseas.
If I had to guess, I would say probably 300 - 350 still out there?
I haven't conjured up an algorithm or anything like that, just guessing from my time and experience in the hobby, reading a ton, and the number of games I've heard of or come across.

That’s pretty good logic. It’s on my short list of wants once I get a bit more room. I even bought a set of the reproduction ice bergs/mountains in anticipation of eventually picking one up.

#196 3 years ago

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

That’s pretty good logic. It’s on my short list of wants once I get a bit more room. I even bought a set of the reproduction ice bergs/mountains in anticipation of eventually picking one up.

Its a really fun game with excellent play, lightshow and call outs. I think there is 8 different sound tracks! It is one of DE's best pre-DMD games.

#198 3 years ago

Those go along with my calculations as well. Also, don't overlook http://ipsnd.net/ either. It has some good logic for people submitting info and it's a good indicator about what exists overseas vs. what is still in the states.

I've had parts of 3 Tor. Alleys in the last 10 years... Only still have one. I honestly believe both of the other machines were sadly parted out to revive other games. Nothing I could really do about it, I sold one as a complete working game, the other as parts only... Doesn't make sense to keep piles of parts laying around and collecting dust when those parts can make other machines not turn to dust. So, 33.33% of the ones I've owned are still flipping.

http://ipsnd.net/ indicates that 32 out of 2002 complete or parts of games have been registered. That would roughly be about 10% of what is expedited to still be around (250-350 machines). Jives with some other games with 10,000-ish production #'s (with 800-1200 games registered for those titles). Also, Pinside owners list is more info to support these estimates.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I read somewhere than half the TA's initially went overseas right off the bat. But who knows how many have gone back and forth since then. For being relatively rare, I have seen them come up for sale more often than they should in my region. Maybe 2 a year?

I know of four at the moment- Mine, Yours, Colson's and Frosty's in New York.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Those go along with my calculations as well. Also, don't overlook http://ipsnd.net/ either.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I know of four at the moment- Mine, Yours, Colson's and Frosty's in New York.

Ironically, I just registered my serial. But apparently Iso Frost has a board out of my game, or owned and registered this one before.

829C88CF-4E0F-4F8E-A7B6-C1F0DE4FB0D1 (resized).jpeg829C88CF-4E0F-4F8E-A7B6-C1F0DE4FB0D1 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 312 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-torpedo-alley-club/page/4?hl=whitewater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.