• more often takes 2 or more trys to get ball from VUK to Trough 35 votes
    31%
  • When Ball shoots from Demon Mouth it almost never goes SDTM 16 votes
    14%
  • When Ball shoots from Demon Mouth it goes SDTM a lot 31 votes
    27%
  • When ball shoot from Demon Mouth it never goes SDTM 5 votes
    4%
  • I had problems and tried to make adjustments but it still isn't 100% 15 votes
    13%
  • I had problems and tried made adjustments and now it's almost 100% 4 votes
    4%

(Multiple choice - 113 votes by 77 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_2264 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2263 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg
PA190101.jpg
Kiss_Demon_005.jpg
Kiss_Demon_009.jpg
Kiss_Demon_006.jpg
Kiss_Demon_001.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

It more than often takes 2 or 3 trys to get the Ball shot up to the Demon Trough from the VUK on my pin.
Anyone else having this trouble and found a good remedy?

I've had this happen, but not very often.

The other thing I've seen is the ball ends up in the trough and gets spit out of the mouth without triggering a multi-ball. I assume the design is that ball's should only shoot of the demon's mouth during MB...true?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

I'm having the same VUK'ing problem!
I'm using the Pinball Life "Premium Ultra Gloss" balls. I think most people here are smart enough to know NOT to use the balls Stern includes with the game.

I'm actually using the Stern balls. Unlike other releases, the balls they shipped with my KISS Premium look great (I inspected them pretty closely). I don't have any Pinball Life balls handy at the moment.

Where the balls you received defective in some way?

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Twilliams:

sdtm everytime. It makes this pin very very frustrating. Stern really messed this pin up. I hope they can make a fix for this?

SDTM from the spinner or the VUK?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Twilliams:

VUK out of genes head. The spinner doesn't do much of anything either that I can tell. My distributor told me to try and take it apart and re-position it. Not sure I like doing that on a brand new pin... but what else can you do here? Any ideas on fixing it? I have got the operators notice several times now.

If your distributor were local, he should come out and work on it. Assuming the distributor isn't local, you have to get your hands dirty as he suggests. fwiw, I've had to do many NIB repairs to my MET and AC/DC just after taking delivery (replacing target banks, cannon motors, LED boards, etc.). Usually the troubleshooting and repairs aren't that difficult (especially with help from Pinsiders and/or Stern support).

The VUK out of genes head doesn't have this issue on mine. I have other intermittent issues with The Demon...

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

Same problem here with a machine on location. I agree the issue is mechanical, not the power level or in software.
I'm contacting Stern for guidance as this doesn't seem to have a simple fix.
-Jay

I don't agree that the problem is purely mechanical. On my Premium, the lock fails more frequently the longer the pin is on. The switching power supply is brand new with SPIKE and the intermittent failures could relate to how power is managed.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

OK, so now we have about 20+ games on it, I can confirm this is also happening on ours. It doesnt go SDTM EVERY time, but it does a times. The VUK sits there trying to lock the ball over and over and over and then it finally pittles out.
Pretty lame, hope they release a service bulletin and a fix.

Please call Stern support (and/or your distributor) and tell them about the VUK problem. Don't assume they are going to fix anything without speaking up. The more people speak up, the more likely it will be fixed.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

So did anyone who contacted Stern get any more help or info on this?

I've been in contact with Pat about the VUK failures. He suggested I make sure it was aligned. I doubt it's alignment, since it works fine for 15-30 minutes and starts failing later. Nevertheless, I'll look at the alignment later today...

2 weeks later
#77 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Removed switch and cleaned contacts...switch works well now. Updated to 1.04 and that did NOTHING to solve the Demon SDTM!! It's a shame. The head is the obvious focal point of the machine and it does nothing but waste your turn, misfire and dimple the Hell outta your playfield. It's pretty bad when Stern has to add a ball save to keep you playing. Is that's Stern's answer to the problem? Pretty lame

I have to imagine the ball save is a temporary "solution". They need to find the root cause and come up with a service bulletin to fix it. My Premium doesn't have the problem, but it seems like a significant number of folks are complaining and there must be a better fix. They should have a diagnostic setting that counts how many times this happens so owners can give them an idea of how bad the problem is...

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I just can't understand why Stern didn't see this as a potential problem. Gene's mouth is perfectly aligned with the outhole. Where did they think the ball was gonna go when it was released? Only part of the Demon multiball that works is the light show.

You can say that about so many pinball VUK's/mechs. Not all examples are having this problem, so it's most likely an adjustment/manufacturing issue. Demon MB works great for me...the lock issues seem to have been fixed with 1.04.

3 years later
#96 6 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I was able to finally fix the VUK to work 100% of the time.
Under the table, I took the VUK mechanism off. There's 5 screws total. The bottom one, I put 2 washers on. The 2 in the middle, 1 washer each. The top 2, I left alone. What I'm doing there, is aiming the ball to travel up the rear of the scope. I set the power to 28 for the VUK.
After about 3 months or so, I can say that that my VUK has worked with 100% accuracy.
As for the ball shooting out of Gene's mouth straight down the middle...I haven't come up with a solution yet. I'm getting close to having my welder to just fill and re-drill the holes at the bottom in order to have the piece aim at the flippers.

My VUK started acting up recently (game probably has 500 or so plays...purchased it NIB).

Noticed black gunk (probably from the rubber pad on the spinning disk) that needed to be cleaned. Once I installed a new coil sleeve and polished the plunger, the VUK started coming back to life (without raising the power, which didn't sound "right" to me).

Now, the only time it fails is on the 3rd ball. I lowered the power to 28, but it still kicks back. I believe it's bouncing off the 2nd lock ball (and don't want to lower the VUK power any more).

I'm going to implement your washer solution and see if it solves this remaining problem. FWIW, my demon disk doesn't have the SDTM issue (which is unrelated to the VUK issue).

Thanks for the post!

IMG_2263 (resized).jpegIMG_2264 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Peotone, IL
$ 11.95
$ 21.00
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside