• Premium 424 votes
    45%
  • LE 213 votes
    23%
  • Only if they offer one with the female Ghostbusetrs. 97 votes
    10%

(940 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,803 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pic7 (resized).jpg
pic5 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170602_135331 (resized).jpg
flipper alignment 3 (resized).jpg
gb flipper alignment (resized).jpg
image2 (resized).JPG
IMGA0088 (resized).JPG
IMGA0087 (resized).JPG
terrordogs (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (3 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (3 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (3 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (3 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (3 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (3 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (3 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (3 years ago)

Post #17448 Link to John T's (game designer) video comments on GB Posted by JoeDP (3 years ago)

Post #17458 Photos of white rubber installed on GB as an alternative Posted by scarybeard (3 years ago)

Post #17519 Pictures of the BackAlleyCreations Slime Mod Posted by BackAlleyMatt (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#129 4 years ago

"wife wanted decorations for the new baby room, nailed it!"
ZpnEhyL[1].jpg

I agree GB2 had a lot more cheesiness to it, but at the same it had some nice darkness to it
* vigo is trying to take over the body of a newborn
* the city is being overrun by slime created by hatred

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Mustang and WWE were terrible packages for me

I think the stats from the minnesota state fair (pinball on a stick) speaks volumes
449536-i[1].png

When a 15 year old pinball Stern released when they first absorbed SEGA (that most collectors hate) can do better than mustang and WWE combined on location, something isn't going right.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Something like this?

Dude, you need to be working for a pinball company, if only just to do concept art and ideas

#197 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

recent Key & Peele

I'm very saddened they decided to quit the show, saying "we want to end it while it's still on top". So many great sketches

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's all about the management. I don't put this on Ritchie, or Lyman, or Lonnie, or anyone

Especially Lyman, I hear stories all the time about how he works overtime, holidays... Sometimes even works on old code nobody told him to work on in his spare time just because he's so passionate.

#221 4 years ago

Bill murray, dan aykroyd, Ernie hudson, annie potts all confirmed as cameos in new movie, now Sigourney Weaver officially joined
https://www.thewrap.com/sigourney-weaver-joins-cast-of-ghostbusters-reboot

All we need is rick moranis!

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

I mean, a possibly Ghostbusters to compete against Spookys AMH

Rob Zombie versus... Jimi Hendrix?

1 week later
#238 4 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

reskinned haunted house,all blueprints are done,how expensive could it really be to do?

I think haunted house to produce today would be pretty expensive. 8 flippers, 3 playfield levels. It's a bear to shop out, imagine the cost just to assemble it.

1 week later
1 week later
#274 4 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Stern did ghostbusters, wonder how long they've been working on it.

#301 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

If not made on the old cast which we know it will be hard to do no need for this pin with new cast as movie will flop

whaaaat? reboots never flop
hazzard-reboot.jpg
robocop_reboot.jpg
point_break_2015_movie-2560x1440.jpg

1 month later
#360 4 years ago

Hmm.. so ghostbusters is pretty much happening at some point (I would imagine if they want to hit the market, it should come out when the new movie comes out even if it's based on the original). I agree, if they continue to do red dots (or perhaps even white dots) in the age of many companies going to color LCD (dutch, heighway, jersey jack, possibly Spooky), they are going to become the gottlieb of pinball. I'm sure in Stern's mind, in their opinion is "well, if you want color, go buy a color dmd for another $400".

I really don't even care if Stern even sticks to 128 x 32 resolution, just go directly to color for crying out loud!

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Zombie Yet I has quite a bit of Bill Murray on his site. Rumor was Stern hired him

If that ends up true (as they should since he seems reasonable), this would be a knock out of the park.

#412 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I agree about the modding potential

I bet back alley and mezel mods are already licking their lips on this one, I would be
d0f745a6cc086a7a3ca23f6c4ab7033b.480x352x1[1].jpg

1 week later
#482 4 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Can balls levitate?

Ball on it's own, no.. But

Pinball ball is 2.9 oz:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116

This magnet puck lifts up to 13 oz:
amazon.com link »

So if there were a divot on top of the puck, you could get the effect depending on how well you could camouflage the puck underneath.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

You have a pay phone outside your residence?

You can search to see if you even have a payphone in your city.. payphones are still typically in airports, colleges, hotels, malls, some walmarts, but they are getting rare
http://www.payphone-directory.org

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

about the levitate ball, Pinball Magic has it already

sorta.. it's riding up a wall

1 week later
#561 4 years ago

I'm sort of surprised Stern hasn't considered going all white DMD a long time ago, and using a filter to change colors (instead of being stuck to RED, like the first DMD's being stuck with orange for so many years). But I'm sure red will work just fine with this title, the logo has lots of red in it, the ghost will just be a bright orangish red.
stern_ghostbusters.jpg

#651 4 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

With a standard sized backglass like that, where does the LCD go?

maybe it's the same aspect ratio?

#1176 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

How can you not have a hologram / projector slimer that appears as if he's coming through the back wall of the machine!

I think the only way to do ghostbusters correctly is to do a hologram (ALA pinball 2000). LCD monitors are cheap, the reflective glass not so much. Still, having ghosts float by on the playfield would be insane, Stern couldn't make them fast enough.

#1380 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

I bet Stern is looking at making their own cabinets in that building in the future.

If Stern were smart (and they had the room), you can usually save money by bringing in processes in-house. Of course churchill has been doing this a long time and they know what they're doing, but perhaps there are more efficient ways of building cabinets (for instance, using dovetail joints instead of slots). Since most cabinets are decaled these days (not painted direct), you'll never see the joints if they are sanded flush. Of course because this is a messy process, they'd have to have a dedicated sealed off room from the rest of the factory to contain the sawdust.
Another plus to bringing it in-house is you have potentially better control over quality, and you aren't at the mercey of a supplier. Imagine if Churchill decided to close shop even for a couple weeks, watch how quickly Stern's factory would get shut down while they scramble for a new supplier (unless they do in fact have a backup supplier).

#1459 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

where Stern can build almost any title on demand... prices are WAY up... They have a library of games people would buy in a heartbeat if built.. they've got 3-4 titles they just finished building that were almost all sell-outs. They have contracting money coming in building other people's games. They have a crazy cushion to work with.. even if the new factory's overhead is much higher. They are 'on a roll' right now and even if one game tanks... it's not going to sink them. That wasn't always the case before where they didn't have such a cushion behind them.

I can't agree with this more. They truly are a "pinball manufacturer" first, which is what every factory should be. If you aren't building product and shipping it out everday, you don't have income coming in to pay for all the overhead. It's amazing how low of an opinion I (and many others) had of Stern just 6-7 years ago, but they have completely turned things around. Are there still quality issues? Yes, but they must be doing something good enough or people wouldn't be buying games.

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Just make a Pro model that is full featured and an LE with extra bling and backglass and call it good. I'd price the LEs where the Premiums are and make the Standard model around 5k.

will never happen. they take features out of the pro to make them more reliable. The LE's help pay for the R&D, the premiums are for those that want the LE features without the high price tag.

#1593 4 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

but this whole "IF THIS DOESN'T HAVE LCD I'M OUT" attitude is nonsense. Yeah maybe a few will be out, but seems like most are buying.

I don't think the lack of LCD are going to make people not buy a title, it just makes Stern look dated. they should at least start offering the option to have a color DMD from the factory for an extra $200, then they can have full color from release (red dots will simply get shades based on the colors).

#1761 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And what about the time necessary to do the better graphics and animation? Or what about the sound production that is going to have to go with that video? Are we really trying to say full production video integration is just the same as animated sequence integration?

Like others have said, we don't know if it's getting a resolution bump. If it's just adding colors, it's much easier to animate in color than trying to make shades look good (I speak from experience). Also like others have said, if it's video clips, it'll be easier.

Also spooky (and small boutique pinball company) didn't seem to have any issues making nice color graphics and wondrous animations (and they have one programmer plus Ben), not a giant team of people like Stern does.

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

It's such a fact at this point I dont understand the cover up efforts at this point.

it's not covering up leaked photos, it's preventing dis-information to be posted on pinside. Anyone can google "ghostbusters pinball translite" and find a copy somewhere.

3 weeks later
#2638 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Say you're Gary Stern. You find out that info's being leaked. How do you stop it?
Not an easy problem to solve.

didn't apple used to leak fake projects to employees, and then when it leaked they knew who leaked it? Perhaps that backglass was a ruse?

#3162 4 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Enough is enough, Stern has to have a lcd screen for them to move into the future. It screams for it, us operators need it to survive.

"the game is on the playfield", which is why Stern is selling:
* custom shooter rods (not looking down)
* toppers with lights (not looking up)
* side armor (not looking on the side)
* pinblades (might see it in my peripheral vision)

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Super Bowl is too expensive no one will buy tickets at these prices, I predict the stands will be empty because we are going into a recession.

Gary: "Surely if people are willing to spend $5k on a superbowl ticket to watch a game for 4-5 hours, our pro's are too cheap (worth thousands of hours of entertainment). New pro pricing, $10k!

Quoted from arcademojo:

Agreed. I've always felt when in a recession people tend to spend more money on entertainment to get away from their daily burdens.
Even with pinball. Example: Cost of a pinball machine vs going out for entertainment for the year. Everyone needs their escape.

It's true. Pinball was selling over 100,000 machines after the great depression because it was a cheap escape.
Today: Spend $20 / week for pinball on location (spend about $1k in a year), or buy a NIB, sell for $500 loss (or gain depending on the title) after a year and play as much as you want.

#3353 4 years ago
Quoted from Cloud9:

If a movie was really, really great, then what's the reason for making a remake that won't measure up? What take a great movie that really can't be improved upon and spend millions of dollars to make something that doesn't measure up and disappoints everyone? Was the new Karate kid better? Or Footloose (nobody mentioned those yet)? NO! Poltergeist and The Fog also sucked. Back to the Future could not possibly be any better - but I'm sure some asshole will eventually drag that through the mud

reboots are low risk. The storyline is proven, so even if it doesn't do great, investing money in production and a few actors means they can still profit. Same reason why reality tv took off, pay the people on the show very little, hire a few camera crews, some editors, and you can make a show for very little (but possible profit a ton on viewers). There are still some great original movies, but they are few and far between these days.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

heavy people falling is funny right? HAHAH, oh comedy you rasca

worked for chris farley
http://www.hulu.com/watch/4183

#3632 4 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Over the years I've read a lot of complaints about unfinished code on NIB stern games. I've never commented on the stern code update issues since I've never owned a stern game...yet
But here's what I personally think.
I love that they put out games that aren't 100% complete. You get to play your new game for a while and get used to it. And when the new code is released you get to re-experience the game again. New code updates give you something to look forward to. Almost like how you looked forward to unboxed it and plugged it in the first time.
Am I alone feeling this way about unfinished codes on NIB games?

I'm torn on this. It keeps the factory going, but it's incomplete.. but is it really THAT incomplete? Compare an early code Stern to a late 80's williams pin, Stern is still deeper. At the same time, updating over usb has become an enabler for Stern because it's flashable. Imagine if a Williams High speed got released with half finished code, and they told the ops "oh just burn a new chip for complete code", they'd be like "yea right, how about you ship me one".

2 weeks later
#4519 4 years ago

we had color displays on pinball 34 years ago
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=125

baby_pacman_pinball_(resized).jpg

#4626 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Flipper button:

- Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
- Listen... do you smell something?

Credit drop:

- We'd like to get a sample of your brain tissue.
- What did you DO, Ray?

Start button:

- He slimed me.
- We're ready to believe you.

flipper button: Did you have any toys as a kid? I had a slinky once, but I straightened it
credit drop: that's a big twinkie
start button: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes. the dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

1 week later
#5010 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

"It's official. Feline AIDS is the #1 killer of cats."

Disney, the happiest place on earth.. it's too bad it's a target for terrorists
http://milkandcookies.com/link/16135

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 49.95
$ 103.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside