IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6772 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Right ramp on pro: Ball returns to right flipper. George Gomez suggested the idea. There's a one way gate at top of curve, ball goes up over some rollover switches, strongest shot hits gate and the ball goes back to the right flipper.

I'm not sure I am a fan of this by the way it sounds.

Rob

#6786 8 years ago

I hope those magnetic slings don't cause the playfield to crater in above the flippers. What are the chances that area needs to be mylared to prevent wearing? It sounds like a neat idea, but it also has the potential to really suck as a feature too.

Rob

#7234 8 years ago

How can you have super jackpots without a regular jackpot? If the super jackpot is the regular jackpot, then is there a bigger jackpot to be had?

The right ramp doesn't seem as bad as I thought it would be, but it still doesn't seem like a satisfying shot.

Rob

#7314 8 years ago

Is the flipper game actually bigger than other Stern games or does it just appear that way? I'd rather see standard flipper gap so the game isn't brutal for inexperienced players.

Rob

#7507 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, GOT and GB are like opposites. It would almost seem as tho Stern learned their lesson on pushing the envelope on how half ass they can get away with shit

Please do explain!

Rob

#7512 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

GOT looks like a piece of shit.
GB looks like one of the best Sterns ever to come out since TSPP.

Meh, looks are not everything in a game and everyone knows that. Shadow is ugly, but a great player. ToM looks great, but has a poor wizard mode. I'm happy with my GoT pro and that's all that matters to me.

Rob

#7656 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Also helps that a good player was playing, everyone on the DF stream was having a hard time with the pin.

That's just it. From what I've seen of the game so far it looks like it can be pretty brutal, especially with the wide flipper gap. This might not be a noob friendly game at all which could impact earnings on location.

Rob

#7746 8 years ago

The flipper gap is probably what discourages me most from what I have seen so far. I'm all for a game being challenging, but at least with outlanes you can change the gap for example. How much bigger do you think the gap is compared to ACDC or MET as an example?

Rob

#7748 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They are going to have to pulse them or something. I know exactly what you're talking aboot as it happened with Met quite a bit.

The stock stern balls were getting stuck in the coffin lock on my MET premium after only a few games. Stern needs to use balls that don't magnetize as easily on games like this.

Rob

#7784 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

However, it feels like the overpriced up sell party is going to meet its demise soon enough

I'm sure it has for some foreign markets.

Rob

#7787 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Twofold they'd want a strong pro not a super weak pro since that'd expand the base (see Met pro). Also they'd want a long sale out like Met or ACDC so they'd want to improve the code unlike a terrible seller that doesn't warrant top level of code resources full court press.

ST must have sold fairly well, yet it never got decent code support. I think poor code support really hurt KISS sales.

Rob

#7862 8 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I'm an advocate for the pro usually as it gives great bang for buck, but that right ramp is a killer. It's a complete dud shot and when your forking out this much coin you want every shot to be have a doesn't feel about it.

I don't want to say it's a terrible shot, but it's certainly looks uninspired. There were obvious restriction in what they could do with the ramp design on the pro.

Rob

#7902 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Laggy as hell for me. Anyone else?

Even the replay is bad. Sound and video out of sync as well.

Rob

#7915 8 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Did you think it was a drain monster?

From watching the dead flip stream, the game certainly seemed to be a drain monster. Watching ball after ball last less than 30 seconds for almost 2 hours got old pretty quick. But what I could see still looked fun. It might just need a more liberal tilt...

Rob

#7916 8 years ago

If anyone can check, does the GI flicker on GB when the flippers are pressed? This happens on GoT and I wonder if they did anything to fix it yet.

Rob

4 weeks later
#10244 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

think the rub is that what was previouisly said by John Trudeau in an interview was that they had them working almost like regular slings with additional cool added features. That seemed way cool. We were also told that they play tested the slings before considering if they would use them for this title. I assumed this meant that they had worked on code with them prior to even consider using them. Then they show a video where what they acted like was completely different then a normal sling.

Adding mag slings into the game feature matrix without thoroughly testing how they work would certainly be recipe for disaster. I liked how the ball would bounce repeatedly on a sling, but was disappointed that I saw nowhere near normal sling action from them. It seemed to me that the magnet pulse was too long and therefore pulling the ball back before it could bounce to the other side. But, they showed the slings in test mode, not gameplay mode so it's certainly not a true reflection of how they will really work. I just hope those magnets don't crater the playfield. There will certainly be a need for mylar in that area.

Rob

#10251 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Well I went and relistened to the interviews and wrote some of it down below. I think we only saw a small portion of how they function. I will wait to see them function as normal slings as well.
John Trudeau on Stern FB video saying what they do:
“We threw a whitewood together and quickly tested them out to see what we could do with them and they worked out really good”
Cameraman:
Yeah no no I got to see them in action and they do a little bit more then a regular slingshot. so.
Trudeau:
Yeah they can act like a regular slingshot, almost, close.”
Cameraman:
Yeah, so what I saw was the ball bouncing back and forth between the two slingshots.
Trudeau:
They can play catch, the ghosts play catch.
I saw the ball being (I saw a ghost) to the middle of the playfield going back to the slingshot going back to the playfield. back and forth like he was dribbling the ball (edited a bit for easier reading{I figure this is the feature we saw on the video})
Trudeau:
Theres a lot of things we can grab the ball, hold it. shoot it back up the playfield or drop it down to the flipper.
This flippin podcast interview:
John Trudeau:
Theres things we can do with the slings, just grab the ball hold it then drop it down to the flipper uh we got em to play against each other then just play a keep a way game just back and for back and forth until we stop it. literally you can control it now its pretty amazing. They do work pretty well not exactly like the conventional kicker.

Then why didn't they show this? What they did show is nothing like what is described here.

Rob

#10385 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

there is absolutely no way, no matter what they do to the code that those magnet will be close to a real slingshots.

Time will tell when we finally see some real gameplay with these. In hindsight, if the game had regular kickers AND magnets then that would have been the bomb! Best of both worlds.

Rob

#10390 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

That or traditional slings would have been the safe bet but they put their chips all in and now we will see how it plays out.

TZ has magnetic 'flippers' which are roughly the same concept as magnetic slings. They can work quite well to propel the ball, but the timing has to be right or it just doesn't work. Since ball direction, location and speed varies this could take quite a bit of code finessing to get just 'right'.

Rob

2 weeks later
#12029 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Dwight sincerely said "not yet" when asked if there was an option to remove the cursing at the very beginning of the stream so I would think a "PG mode" will be in a future revision. There are only 4 or 5 call outs that would need to be removed. (Although the "are you menstruating?" line is in here too but I don't think that is being used currently )

SR also said that a family mode would be put in ST, but that never happened.

Rob

#12100 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Um.... ST does have family mode guys.

Hmm, I didn't know... Thanks for the clarification.

Rob

#12102 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Correct...I thought the movement/sounds were kick ass...just happening few and far between

I wonder if they gapped the switch more open on purpose to make the slings less responsive? If it was too sensitive and firing a lot, then the effect may be less desirable. Like you say, few and far between though.

Rob

#12103 7 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I saw enough of the ecto goggles to see how it looks. I just hope they put some nice detail work in the ghost animations. Small things should be fairly easy. Like having the ghost clap or laugh at you when you drain. Maybe some playful taunting in their standard animation or even a bored look if you go too long without shooting the ball, a lack of switch hits or cradling the ball. Others might be a bit more difficult, but would be really cool. Have them jump / look left and right fearfully if you hit the shots to the immediate left (captive ball) or right (right ramp) of them.
This sounds easy enough, yet I bet if it wasn't implemented from the get go, they may have a hard time getting the cycling animations to transition to reactions animations smoothly. It's one of those cool ideas that I would have thought they would have thought of early, but if they didn't, I doubt they implement it now.
I try not to put too much thought into things like this, because when I did that with X-Men before it was released and during it's updates and it was nothing but a long road of disappointments. Sad knowing I ( and others) had great and simple ideas that were never implemented.

Ecto goggles may be something that is really just eye candy more than anything. I was more disappointed with the moving slimer and how it physically dragged across playfield parts above the ghost target. It operates different than the pro slimer, but not necessarily better.

Rob

#12224 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It's actually driving me crazy and I'm about to code my own Chrome plugin that changes all instances of "Slimmer" on Pinside to "Slimer."

Slammer is a cool ghost!

Rob

#12309 7 years ago
Quoted from cubitron:

We just held a tournament in Des Moines with a brand-new Ghostbusters. While testing the machine before the tourney started, I hit Slimer and he flew off of the wire... Luckily our tournament organizer could jerry-rig a way to get him back on there. It only had about 10 total plays before Slimer took that flight. I hope nobody else has this issue! It was also shooting straight down the middle out of the left scoop, however that could probably be an easy fix.
I have a Pro on order and am still pumped to get mine, but it was kinda scary seeing Slimer take a dive since he is built to take hundred of hits a day at the arcade.

I keep wondering how long before the cable breaks for others?

Rob

#12345 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I was going through GB 1.04 audio files in Pinball Browser last night and it was great to see (well hear!) just how much audio Stern has packed into the game. GB easily has some of the best custom audio tracks in pinball and the code is loaded with callouts from the films as well as a bunch of custom ones from Ernie Hudson.

You should listen to the sounds in the ST code. There are literally dozens of really good callouts that aren't used in the game and that's a real shame. There's even briefings by Admiral Stevens for each mission....

Rob

#12663 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hope the Slimer mech on the premium / LE get's some unique shot rules such as moving to one insert and staying there with the insert below it flashing until hit, then it would move onto a different insert. Currently there are no unique rules for the premium Slimer mech and it just randomly moves around while the lighting bolt insert flashes.

It's tough to say for sure. LE and Premium models may get a a few more toys, but there's nothing to guarantee those toys see any significant game rules created for them.

Rob

#12818 7 years ago

I only played a bit of ghostbusters and don't remember much. I have the following questions:

How linear are the rules? When you play the game, are you playing the same modes in the same order or is there some variance?

Some mode inserts are placed in line with different shots on the playfield. Are the modes tied into those shots? Can some groups be progressed through while ignoring other groups of inserts? Does the difficulty of the modes/missions get more difficult or are they just different?

Can the multiball(s) be stacked with other modes and/or multiballs?

I know it's early code yet and more will be added. I justed wanted to see what the general direction of things is so far. I have tried to play the local pro on location, but the few times I was there someone else was on it.

Rob

#13088 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Yes this is correct the pbl ultra shiny balls are fine for magnets, the silver jets are not.

They are maybe better, but they will still magnetize. I have them in my MET and still have problems with the balls getting magnetized and then stuck in the coffin lock.

Rob

#13203 7 years ago

I think whoever did the audio effects and music for the game deserves notice. They did a fantastic job! Also, the guys who did the dots did great as well! All around GB seems to be a great team effort which all ties in nicely together.

Rob

#13294 7 years ago

I played some more GB Pro today and still think it's a pretty fun game. I found the right ramp strangely rewarding when I was able to make a good shot on it. I thought I would hate that ramp, but it's actually kind of fun because it's not an easy shot. Plus there's 3 levels of switches to get when you shoot the ramp which means your shot success is 'variable'.

Rob

#13316 7 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Thats the new timer sound for river of slime and proton pack, its awful.

Yes, it's really awful. I hope Dwight changes it.

Rob

#13371 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

I don't recall a pinball machine in recent time that was so difficult to start multi-ball. When we set the game up for people to play, in five hours of continuous play by at least 15 different people, we probably had multi-ball triggered no more than a half-dozen times. That seems ridiculous.

I think part of the issue is that many players are not inclined (or know) to shoot the stacked captive balls to light the lock and therefore don't get a multiball. It's certainly not like GoT where a random bounce can easily hit a green target and light a lock. To be honest, I would hope there's a way to turn off the lock lighting after collecting so many ghosts. I would have made multiball easier in a different way:

- Add setting for captive ball hits to lock balls. Extra Easy = 0 hits to the captive balls lights all 3 locks, locks are on at ball start. Medium = 1 hits for 3 locks (default). Hard = 3 hits for 3 locks. Settings apply to first multiball only.

I would also add a potential quick multiball mystery award on the scoop since people are disappointed about the lack of multiballs.

I hope I understand the rules for lighting locks as I haven't played the game enough yet. I hope to get my own GB soon and am really looking forward to it!

Rob

#13373 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Watch Gary Stern's talk during SFGE (also in 2013)
» YouTube video

You'll see where Gary was still heavily humping his Operators are #1 for the future of pinball message. Jump to 23min mark if you need to skip over his story telling at the start.

Gary seems to be lost in 'yesterday'.

Rob

#13394 7 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I notice that the right ramp is backhandable at 11:00. I was hoping that would be the case.

Can the left ramp still be backhanded?

Rob

#13396 7 years ago

Does slimer have any 'speech'? I know he doesn't talk in the movies, but he does make some basic sounds right? Maybe he could make a few sounds when he is out and when he is hit? Or does he already?

Here's an idea for a slimer combo on the LE... if you shoot slimer and make the left ramp you should get a bonus for that.

Rob

#13419 7 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Totally agree. I'm in the camp that thinks multiball is cool and fun, especially when there is a jackpot to be had, but if it happens too frequently, or it's too easy to get to, where's the fun?

Hence the 'Jack F'in Pot' on Metallica really gives you a sense of accomplishment when you get it! GB already gives out Super Jackpots like outside of multiball, so what's the big prize IN the multiball, if there even is one? I think anything less than 20 (10?) million on GB should just be a jackpot, not a super jackpot.

Rob

#13439 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not saying every pin but ones ive played and most videos ive watched had a good many airballs and the kinda drains i mentioned in my post above. Some pins just have them things until you spend sone time really dialing them in and fixing the issues.

I wish Stern would add a setting to adjust the flipper strength on SPIKE games. Turning down the power on the flippers might help resolve a lot of the airball problems. I set my GoT to 7 degrees slope because of the super strong flippers.

I played a freshly unboxed GB Pro and there were A LOT of airballs on it - and not just from the Scoleri targets. We didn't have the glass on and the ball went flying out of the game at one point. If the glass had been on, it would have been a very loud smack into the glass. Playing the same game on location later, there didn't seem to be nearly as many airballs. The game does settle down and 'breaks in'.

Rob

#13672 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Ghostbusters premium seems to be Sterns most loaded game to date so I'll go for it. Its also helps that Ghostbusters is one of my favorite films of all time

I love many of the callouts like "Back off man, I'm a scientist" or "I blame myself - I do too" (something like that).

Rob

1 week later
#14114 7 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Nice to see you can backhand the left ramp. Wasn't sure this would be possible on the Pre/LE. Maybe they already showed that in the Dead Flip live stream but I don't remember.

Yes, we can finally say for certain the left ramp can be backhanded! The magnaslings looked to work well too. They aren't as active as regular slings, but it's neat to have something 'different' on a game like this.

Rob

#14202 7 years ago

1 month later
#15594 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:Yeah it does. My one concern with Stern releasing more software "complete" games is that while they may have a complete ruleset (as deemed by Sterm) they won't be as deep as rulesets found in past games and receive as much support. Releasing games with what Stern's states as more complete at release could just be yet another cost cutting move...

It's still infinitely better than the craptastic software KISS had at launch which still isn't close to complete after more than a year.

Rob

#15597 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm guessing this is Sterns way of under-promising and not committing so that they can't be called out if they take their time completing the code.

The bean counters there don't seem to care if they are called out or not.

Rob

1 week later
#15781 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Dissapointed with the air balls and lane guide caused side drains. I've got the "fix" plastic and center post set on the way. That should help some

I think some of the airballs are a result of the flippers being too strong. It's too bad there isn't a flipper coil strength adjustment in SPIKE (yet).

Rob

#15880 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

There is a setting in the menu to adjust the flipper coil pulse strength. It isn't numerical, settings are: soft, medium, hard. Still, not sure what you are talking about
I set mine to soft and it helped a lot with air balls (although they still happen sometimes even after 1,000 games.)

I know about that setting, but there needs to be something specific for the flippers. Even on soft, the flippers are still killer on my GoT pro.

Rob

#16065 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Obviously they made great playfields in the past like TSPP. So something changed from when they were making them correctly up until now. Maybe just another cost cutting attempt from Stern....if so, playfield isn't the place to do it.
I have a Premium on order and wont buy it if they don't figure this out. I haven't seen any ghosting on my WOZ, maybe they should consult with JJP....not going to happen ...LOL

When TSPP first came out, there were issues with those playfields too. The different layers of ink didn't always line up well with each other (registration). Some playfields were worse than others. I think some were so bad that the owners received free blank playfields from Stern.

Rob

#16212 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I know quite a bit of people have been asking for an LE gameplay video, so here it is. Not a bad game at all, 600M+ or so- you get to see the center post mod work a few times, the makeshift plastic on the left ramp, and best of all- the mag slings did some cool tricks along the way I haven't seen on other videos.
» YouTube video

That center post saved your ball quite a few times.

Rob

#16243 7 years ago

I dislike the ribbed look of the carrot flippers. Someone should just make a sleeve that fits over the existing flippers which extends the tips 1/16 on each side. Or whatever length is appropriate.... It could easily be added or removed without dismantling the flippers themselves.

Rob

1 week later
#16528 7 years ago

I setup my new GB Pro tonight with the help of Archer600 (thank you!). ST Pro has moved on...

Game build date is July 27th and it has the upgraded Slimer as well as the metal support bracket for the center captive ball. The flippers are also more in line with the return lanes and not so droopy like first batches seem to be. I set the coils to soft and the game was leveled with a 7.1 degree pitch. Archer600 and I played it and it wasn't the drain monster I thought it would be. We both had really good games on the first time we played it. There were a a few airballs, but nothing worse than other new games I have had.

Everything worked extremely well, no issues to report.

If you look close, Slimer is taking a poo.... It was a loose strand of silicone...

Rob

20160815_211540_(resized).jpg20160815_211540_(resized).jpg
20160815_213247_(resized).jpg20160815_213247_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#16693 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I have tried so many settings and mine will just go SDTM from the left kickout, no matter what power setting I try.

Make sure you change the left kickout power, not the right.. At low power (like 15) it should just dribble out to the left flipper...

Rob

#16694 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

What do people have their games leveled at? My bubble on this one is WAY off, must be faulty cause I have it at like 6.7-7.0 and the bubble is NOWHERE even close to centered. Not that I really ever trust the bubbles but this one just doesn't seem right at all.

About 7.1. I don't pay attention to the bubble.

Rob

#16702 7 years ago

I would lower the pitch on mine, but the flippers are just too strong then. I still occasionally get rejects off the top of the left ramp.

Rob

#16775 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Maybe they could add a "kill Pops" double flip, or combo button press...?

I think it's more like people are just trying to complain about anything now... I don't see a problem here...

Rob

#16782 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

as asked in the other topic, what about the LIBRARIAN mini mode round insert (from the book stacking), did someone already seen it ?
seems we only get the 3 others mini working : the brothers, terror dog & gozer
did i missed something !?

According to the strategy guide on Stern's website, there are the scoleri brothers, 2 terror dog hurry ups and gozer hurry up. There's no mention of a 'librarian mode'.

Rob

#16791 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well than, i really wanna know what the LIBRARIAN round insert (left scoop) is for ?

Oh that, sorry, I misunderstood you - and I didn't even see that insert there. I'm going to go play the library ladder and see if it lights up during either scene.

Rob

#16795 7 years ago

GB is definitely a game you need to be more physical with - it's almost like an upper body workout. The more I play it, the more I realize the flipper gap certainly does have an impact even though I didn't think so my first few games. I think JT went a little too far with it.

Rob

#16863 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yeah, you'd think a thread about a pinball game would be about people PLAYING their game.. yet this is the least 'game' oriented thread I've seen in ages. Ask about game play stuff and you get crickets...

I agree. Could we keep the problems to the problems thread and discuss other aspects about the game in this one please?

I increased the timer on SF Multiball which makes it a lot more enjoyable to get. It still scores like crap, but you can collect a lot of ghosts during the multiball.

Rob

#16867 7 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Try playing it a while before buying it.
Some owners think it's not necessary.

Lately I have been sliding the game sideways a bit... I don't have the tilt bob installed, but I still get tilt warnings. Either I do that or the ball is lost. I am slowly doing better at the game, but some shots like the right ramp, left spinner and left scoop you just don't master. I've never played a game where hitting certain shots was so bleepin' difficult, yet so fun when I finally do it.

Rob

#16945 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Someone posted some pics on FB of a new GBpro being unboxed. Looks like they changed the way they are doing can decals and are not wrapping the front corners. I've seen a couple examples where the decals have cracked at the corners. Nice to see this change.

All of my Stern games have the decals wrapped around the front corners and none have ever cracked. Is it possible that over-tightening the leg bolts can split the cabinet at the corner? I don't ever recall this being mentioned as an issue before.....

Rob

#16952 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Added my terror dog from Meph to my game today. Yay!
Also noticed ghosting has started on my Storage Facility insert. Boo.

What's your build date and how many plays?

Rob

1 week later
#17073 7 years ago
Quoted from MNPinner:

Here you go I have them set to print on at 4x6 then just trim off the white excess. Enjoy!!

These look great. But, could you make the red/yellow a little brighter/lighter? For my older eyes it's difficult to read. I know, I need new glasses..

Rob

#17087 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

1. the ball hops over the outlane guide suck, plain and simple. It doesnt happen often, but it always seemed to happen during a critical point during the game.

I agree. It does not happen often on my pro, but I had it happen once which ruined a good game I was having (ball 3).

Quoted from Eskaybee:

2. The right ramp almost always rejected back down the ramp. to add to that, one of the final shots of a mode (Spook Central i believe), requires making the right ramp. This made for a difficult time in advancing through the tier. Simply put, i do not like the right ramp. Perhaps this was just the GBLE i played? Can owners confirm whether this ramp is suppose to reject so often or not and what is done to help this shot? But still, pigeon holing a mode to that one specific shot is not a good sign for mode code.

The right ramp on both models seems to be a difficult shot. I have not played the LE, but I NEVER go for the right ramp unless I have to.
Having said that, the spinner and left scoop are not the easiest of shots either. Basically very little in this game is an easy 'gimmee'. The game is still fun even if it's very challenging.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

3. Short of making a skill shot, it really seemed like starting modes was a very difficult and daunting task. I did not like this aspect of the game.

Not really. Shoot the ghost target (once the first time) to bring slimer in and bash him about 3 times to light the modes. Completing modes lights the ladders for the next mode. The game punishes you if you fail a mode and you need to re-bash slimer to light the ladders, or skill shot the next ball. This requires hitting the ghost target some more before slimer comes out.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

That said, it wasnt until i started ignoring trying to start modes and instead focus on collecting ghosts, lighting pf multipliers, and playing storage facility multiball that this game really took off.

The PF multipliers are HARD to light. To get 2x and 3x lit you need to complete 2 sets of captive ball stacks on the left side. It sounds easy, but it isn't. In about 200 games I think I lit 2x twice on purpose. They can be awarded from Tobins and maybe the pop bumpers.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

All in all i think the game is great fun. I do have longevity concerns mainly cause of how the modes are laid out compared to the rest of the games' features. But Because the gameplay is so difficult, it really felt good and rewarding to make non-mode shots such as hitting the left captive ball to advance light locks and playfield multipliers as well as the left scoop for Extra Balls & Tobins guide.

The game is like IM. The difficulty and challenge keep you coming back because you don't master the game. The lights, dots and sound is fantastic and make the game very, very fun!

Rob

#17118 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Quick question on Slimer rules.
On my pro sometimes after spelling ghost, Slimer will sometimes come down with the green light on him, but then he will go back up.
The green light stays on and the DMD will still say to hit slimer or chase slime away but there is no way to hit Slimer. He just sits up top with the green light shining on him.
Am I missing something that makes him come back down for hits, or is my game messing up?
It does not do this all the time. Just every once in awhile.

This never happens on my pro. Maybe one of the positional switches for the mechanism isn't working correct?

Rob

#17123 7 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

What was wrong with it ?

He disassembled it!

Rob

2 weeks later
#17218 7 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

I think mine is around 6.6, but I think a lot of people have said theirs are around 7. I might try "Concretehardt's" suggestion and open the contacts slightly for now...

My game is at 7 degrees and I never have a problem with the ball in the pop bumpers. In fact I need to check mine because they seem a bit lethargic lately.

Rob

1 week later
#17254 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Anyone know how to increase the Multipliers at the start of Stay Puft mode? I'm getting to it somewhat regularly and they are always at 1x

Maybe the multipliers are in reference to the playfield multipliers?

Rob

#17361 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

AVERT YOUR EYES!
I don't know where to post anymore, this is in the other thread too. haha..anyway..
SPOILER ALERT. DCTS vid mode easy beat instructions..

The video mode pays 59,925,000 if you win it. I think it's close to free points. I am beating it four times in five doing the following... Use the stream that is farthest from your target. The streams catch the ghost then drag back towards their side of origin, and catch all the ghosts that appear on the way. If a ghost appears on the left, shoot it with the right stream. All the ghosts that then appear between the target ghost and your stream origin (which is now likely most of them as you have targetted the ghost farthest away on the other side of the screen) get caught automatically as your stream drags its way back to the side you're shooting from. Now, because the OTHER stream is only hitting ghosts a short distance from it, it catches and resets quickly, so you can use it again while the long one is doing its vacuum cleaner act. Some times it goes a little awry, but I've been working on this all evening and it just works time after time. As that first stream is making its way back, use the other as needs be. Just remember, at any time, use the farthest away proton pack that you can. It takes 15 captures to win and you can usually do it with just three, maybe four hits.

And now nobody will want to play ESP now....

Rob

#17367 7 years ago
Quoted from dasb:

here is a better video of our issue of the upper playfield lights and pop bumpers not working.
as a recap, the issue is that the upper playfield lights and pops do not work. the lights flicker in unison and are very dim.
in the video you will see everything working properly only when the animations for multi ball and extra ball occur. as soon as the animation is done, the upper lights will go back to flickering and the pops will stop working.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFzSj4cChBwNWdLZUVsQ0FvNlU/view

Check for pinched wiring behind the left scoop.

Rob

#17368 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rephrase - "almost zero mode based games require repetition & completion to see another mode". Yes, you need to complete modes in MB to get to Monsters of Rock...but, that's a game where modes aren't linear and can stack...so you never feel like you're blocked from enjoying a feature of the game. You don't have to complete Bride to see Creech, then Creech to see Drac, then Drac to see Mummy,etc. Anyone walking up to it can enjoy a variety of things even if they're not that good. Then, if they're good, they can get to the cool wizard modes.

There needs to be more incentive to play the scenes well as opposed to letting them just time out. Slapping in video modes for the sake of points only is getting old. There needs to be better goals in the video modes to make the player want to play them and do well.

Rob

#17373 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

but seriously, there are plenty of mode based games that don't give you a present for finishing the mode besides points....no one plays games by letting modes time out. No one. It's not fun. No one holds the ball while modes time out. You're still going to shoot the shots and play the modes for points and fun

The first scenes are not that fun though. They score exactly 21 million points each if you finish them. With the default rule changes, these scenes could have a bit more meat to them now and not make the game any harder. But, they would be more fun and lucrative.

Rob

#17391 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Agree 100%, my complaint would simply be that all these easier settings are default and just makes a lot of the modes unneccesary.

I agree that the changes makes the scene progression far too easy now. The modes are just something you 'climb over' now to get to WCWS. There's some fun rules in later scenes and that is all missed if the scene times out. Regardless that this can be changed in the settings, I really believe the balance was shifted from medium right to far left and the inbetween mark (ideal) was missed.

Possible solutions or tweaks might be:

- Increase scene timer values or allow these to at least be adjusted
- Only first level scenes time out and don't need to be replayed
- If you make no shots, or not enough shots, a scene should not auto complete

Rob

#17392 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

If you hate a setting like mode continue or time out just shut it off. Why complain about it? The game was made more flexible - get over it everyone.
I'd hate to be a developer - people moan no matter WHAT you do!

For having the rules the way they used to be, I'd like to be able to increase the timer values a bit. Also, the timer needs to be fixed in a few scenes.

Rob

#17394 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Or just make WCWS worthless if you skip the modes. Each scene completed could add a multiplier to WCWS.

The problem is that sometimes you don't skip scenes on purpose, you just may have a bad ball. It's like going to a move and taking 15 minutes smoke breaks - you miss parts of the story.

Rob

#17398 7 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Why not just make the ghost target only require one shot to light slimer.

I think this is the default in the new code. I don't like to see rules/features like this scaled back just to make the game easier. There's 5 insert lights for the target which now basically mean nothing. I don't think the ghost target has really any other purpose either which is a waste of a shot.

Yes, of course it can be set to be harder, but that's not the point myself and others are trying to make. Nobody ever complained about slimer being too difficult to activate so why is this changed?

Rob

#17407 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Had a single SJP cash in at 1.2 billion. Had 6x playfield Multipliers and Scoleri 3xSJP so a 18xSJP. BAM!

I find the multipliers are something I never usually get lit during a game unless it's from the skill shot or a random award. 3x is way too difficult to light through normal means. How did you light yours?

Rob

#17409 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Skill shot. Now that modes are easier to start or carry over if not completed all I go for on Skill shot is the Multipliers unless bonus held was awarded. Would be nice if the captive balls would award them similar to GOT but the CB logic is really confusing as the game sits right now.

I think for the upper lane skill shots that the playfield multiplier K is probably the best choice. E for adding a mediocre 3 million to super jackpot just doesn't cut it and I never go for that. P was nerfed to adding only 3x, but could still be good for those bonus hold situations.
Instead of hard changes to some of these, I'd rather see the option given to the owner where I can set the skill shot values myself. Maybe I want E to bump SJ by 10 million and still want 5X on the P. Please consider giving us flexibility on these features Dwight!

Rob

#17442 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I get the best results with Mass Hysteria when you flip both flippers at the same time. Yes you will drain some but with the reverse flipper and resetting when you hit the library that will happen anyway.

This is what I do until I get them normal.

Rob

#17443 7 years ago

Can someone please post a picture of the autolaunch coil assembly. I need to know where the paper piece goes.

Nevermind, the manual shows it

Rob

1 week later
#17446 7 years ago
Quoted from Code_Blue:

nyone else experienced something like this?

Well, kind of the opposite. The game isn't recording certain high score values on a good game. For example, it will give me a high score entry, but not record my super jackpot champion score.

Rob

2 weeks later
#17508 7 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Thats what worries me about the pro. I feel like that area is going to wear quickly...

It's not a typical saucer like some other games. The ball goes further back and then rolls forward. No issues whatsoever on my pro yet with the saucer.

Rob

#17520 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I was thinking about the Scoleri brothers recently too. I wish the reward for completing them was better, or they stayed away during SFMB and weren't awarded from Tobin. For me as a mediocre player Scoleri is more frustration than fun as ball control is already difficult on the machine, so I find the risk/reward for them to be out of whack.

They can be very lucrative if you have your SJ value high because they triple it. If you have a low SJ value like 2 million, then not so much. I think they each count as a ghost capture during SFMB so it's a good way to increase your ghost ladder quickly.

Rob

1 month later
#17638 7 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I think that is for the tournament button. I DBV wire is included in the goodie bag.

I'm a little disappointed with the shaker effects in this game. They are not as good as I thought they would be.

Rob

2 weeks later
#17690 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

replying to each 2 :
i never go for PKE skillshot, but well to began mode, also depends on how you setup mode (continue + time), i set the timer to OFF, else its too easy...

PKE jackpots can be pretty rewarding. If you're just about to start a multiball then PKE frenzy is good to stack with it. We just need a PKE Frenzy Champion in the game.

Rob

#17721 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

So I have a new question (hoping for a little wisdom)
I'm in a pattern where (pretty much every time) I reach the Super Loopin at the same exact moment the multiball starts.
Slimer comes down, the Brothers pop-up and well yeah... I can hit that ramp all day long but I can only pull off 1 or 2 with everybody in my way. -- Does anyone have a favorite technique for reaching the super loopin without being in multiball? Or do you like shooting the super loopin while in multiball? I suppose having 6 balls might be good for the super loopin if you can hit the ramp.

For me, it's now getting up to 20 ghosts, start SFMB and then I'm into 60, 80 or 100 ghosts. It certainly is a problem for Loopin' Supers.

Rob

2 weeks later
#17764 7 years ago
Quoted from Pejota:

Hey everyone, I just got a Ghostbusters Pro and am having an issue. The left scoop is ejecting the ball just to the tip of the right flipper, and sometimes SDTM. This is my first machine and am still new to adjusting things. I searched and found possible solutions involving bending the metal and adjusting the power. I'm hesitant to start bending things on a brand new machine, so I would like to try adjusting the power. How do I go about changing the power on that specific coil? I'm aware of the coil pulse setting in the adjustments menu, but any effect from that setting has been negligible.
Thanks!
Edit: Of COURSE it's right there in the feature adjustments. Unfortunately it seems that increasing the power level just barely makes a difference. So I guess I have to decide whether to try bending the scoop or just lower the power and have the ball drop to the left flipper instead.

Lower it so the ball feeds to the left flipper. 21 or 22 should do the trick!

Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rob_g.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=rob_g and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.