IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3325 8 years ago

I would like to chime in about the anti reboot nonsense.

Reboots happen all the time. Sequels are made. Old movies are remade. Series are rebooted with new casts. It happens all the time. Sometimes the results are amazing (JJ Abrahms first Star Trek reboot was incredible)... Sometimes they are disappointing.

I DO NOT share or understand the general negative sentiment regarding the upcoming GB reboot. It's a reboot of a beloved franchise featuring some of THE FUNNIEST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET... Who are also women. They have been leads, and writers, and producers of some of the most successful films of the last decade.

If the Ghostbusters reboot was starring Bill Burr, Louis CK, Seth Rogen, Chris Rock and Jonah Hill I think there MIGHT be some percentage of people saying things like "GB doesn't need a reboot, but hey, these guys are awesome, I'll give it a shot" etc. But that's not what I'm seeing here.

The negativity that surrounds the all female reboot, seems to be based on the fact that it's women. It just comes across as misogyny to me. It's lame. It's all about how "ugly" these women are, or who you would or wouldn't "bang"... Give me a Fu$@ing break. You're on a pinball forum. You (like me!!) are the Nerdiest Nerd in Nerdtown. We shouldn't judge people superficially. Grow the F$&K up!

I'm a big Ghostbusters fan. Loved the first film. It's iconic comedy. It was a perfect storm of sorts. I'm super excited to see the pin.

I'm also genuinely excited for the reboot. It's a reboot of a franchise I love, made by some of the most talented and successful people in Hollywood. They are women. They are awesome.

Welcome to 2016 boys.

#3329 8 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Sounds like you are seizing the moment to be sanctimonious. Robocop reboot sucked, Total Recall reboot sucked, the new Ghostbusters looks like it is gonna suck. It just looks like a bad idea. You can't remake something and expect all the people that love and grew up on the original to embrace a total makeover.So now you want to label a bunch of the guys that love the original as women haters or something? Give me a break.

I'm not labelling the guys who loved the original as women haters. I'm labelling the Neanderthals whose only basis for this film sucking is the fact that it features women.

I agree with you 100%. The reboots you mentioned sucked. I'm also wary when something I really appreciate is repackaged or remade for a new audience... It RARELY works. It's especially hard on people with great fondness or attachment to the original.

This reboot MAY suck. It may have been a bad idea. Neither of those things are immediately true because the main cast is all female.

It's not sanctimonious to point out misogyny, or racism, or homophobia when you see it. That's what I'm seeing, and I think it sucks.

If you want to downvoted me for calling bullshit, that's fine. I was just getting tired of the many times that sentiment was issued here.

What have we seen of the new film? Some teaser posters? Is there a clip? You're sure it's a bad idea, and it's going to suck? Maybe it will. I'm not sure why you're so sure!

Sorry to steer the thread off topic. It was just bumming me out. I'd like to discuss pinball without tolerating in undercurrent of general nastiness.

So, returning to pinball...

GB looks pretty awesome so far. I hope Trudeau has a hit with this one. I loved the Mustang layout, but he really took a beating on WWE. He's a legend, and I'd like to see him have a huge game.

#3347 8 years ago

You mean Entourage??!

#3439 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'll be happy to explain it to you. There are two major points, so I want you to follow along closely, ok?
All right, here we go!
#1 Reboots. Yes, Hollywood has been making reboots since the beginning of their existence. There were several Wizard of Oz movies prior to the 1938 move everyone knows. There was a Ben-Hur movie in 1907 and again in the 20's before the Charlton Heston masterpiece came along. I have no problem introducing a new version of a movie to a new generation. It's been done for years. However, if there was ever a movie that didn't need a reboot, it's Ghostbusters. Why? Because the concept lends itself to expansion and turnover. Hell, even Venkman talked about franchising their business in the first movie. If Sony want to make a new Ghostbusters move, why not pick it up in the same timeline as the original series? Have the business in New York be one of many franchises throughout the country. You can bring in a new, younger cast, and still have some supporting roles for Ackroyd, Murray, and Hudson if they wanted. From there you could make additional movies based in other cites, allowing you to have a more diverse cast. Spread out the universe building like Marvel and DC.
#2 Gender. The Ghostbusters are essentially exterminators. How many female exterminators do you know? Exactly. They are not called the Orkin MAN for nothing. That being said, I think adding a female Ghostbuster to a new cast could be a great decision...is it serves the story. What would make a woman be interested in this line of work? Could make a for a really great character, playing off the boys. Instead of this approach, the whole concept of the new Ghostbusters is to be as gimmicky as possible. Let's have ALL of the Ghostbusters be women! After a few more lines of coke, Paul Feig said... "Yeah! Yeah! And let's make the receptionist a dude! HA!!! Perfect!" It's this kind of stunt casting, role-reversal nonsense that will make this movie suck ball sack.
Oh, and by they way, these particular women are NOT funny. They are really terrible.
Hopefully that clears it up for you!

I will try to articulate where I'm coming from without being condescending or combative.

1. This is a pinball forum.

At its best it can be a pinball community. A place where pinball enthusiasts come to discuss their passion for pinball. Help each other out, from technical solutions to large scale charity initiatives. Buy, sell, and trade machines. Learn things. Discuss strategies. Plan shows etc etc.

2. Everything that is not pinball is noise.

Most of the noise is totally harmless. It stems out of conversations relating to pinball. People discuss Mustang, and the discussion moves to cars. People discuss Ghostbusters, and the discussion naturally moves to the films. I have ZERO problem with that. It's part of what makes the forums a vibrant place.

However, sometimes that noise devolves in to vitriolic flame wars between butthurt whiners, and price police, and era or manufacturer fanboys etc etc. It's tiresome, and I simply tune out. It makes Pinside worse, but it's hard to control.

Sometimes, not nearly as rarely as I'd like to imagine, the noise is laced with homophobia and misogyny, and even some good ole fashioned racism! That totally sucks.

When I'm in a thread, and interested in the discussion, and the discussion contains backwards thinking bullshit like that... I feel compelled to point it out, in hopes that it improves the discussion in the future.

The Internet has given everybody a voice. The problem is, not everybody deserves a voice! It's like handing out violins to every single person in a village. You should take a little time to gain a little understanding of the instrument, and acquire some technique before you step up to the stage and start screeching away just because you can.

I love pinball. I think Pinside can continue to get better, and I don't think it's ever a bad thing to try to elevate a discussion.

Speaking of PINBALL. I'm genuinely excited to see this machine in action. I love ZY's art. He clearly has a super wide range of styles. He was obviously pushing the cartoony style here... Some people won't be fans of that approach, but we're getting hand drawn art, and that's awesome. Plus, I'm happy to see ZY's art on a machine that is actually being made!!! I think we all wanted that after the "he who shall not be named" fiasco.

#3483 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm ready to get back to talking about pinball? Are you?

Aye aye Cap'n!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3484 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

2 months later
#9680 7 years ago

I put a BUNCH of games on a Ghostbusters Pro this past weekend at PAP19, and I was totally blown away. This will sound a little corny, but it really feels like, "The Spirit of Pinball" to me. It's Bright, fun, tough, and nostalgic in all the right ways. The whole package just... works. I think it's going to be a HUGE title for Stern. There wasn't a single person I talked to who wasn't impressed with it, and that includes many Top tournament players. It really is something special.

Code is actually REALLY good already, and you can see where it's going. There is a ton to do, and the game is stunning. I can't wait to see the magna slings, and the right side ramp, and holo-toy.

Simply put, this pin is incredibly impressive. I feel quite happy for John Trudeau, it feels like he has a long overdue "hit" on his hands with this one.

2 weeks later
#11624 7 years ago

How about instead of a center post, somebody could make a silicone band that simply slips over the end of each flipper like a condom. No more center drains no at all!! Now THAT would be amazing! Why is there a gap at all between the flippers, let alone one that is 1/8" bigger than normal?!! The fact that balls can be lost BETWEEN the flippers is just terrible game design. Do I need to include the sarcasm emoji??! I've put a bunch of games on GB. It's loads of fun. Does it drain? Yes. That's what's supposed to happen.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

3 weeks later
#13243 7 years ago

I know I've already said this... But I'm going to say it again.

The flipper gap is NO BIG DEAL!!!

It is barely noticeable. It is the way the game was designed. If it makes the game SLIGHTLY more challenging, it does that BY DESIGN. Losing balls between the flippers is not evidence of a design flaw... It's pinball! You will get better at anticipating where the geometry of the table is sending the ball and learn to make nudges higher up the table that prevent center drains.

Adding a center post is beyond silly. Anybody can do anything they want to the machines they own, but if they add a center post, they are being silly.

That's not an opinion, by the way. That's a fact!! Haha.

1 month later
#15514 7 years ago

Played a GBle for the first time a few days ago, and I was really blown away by it. Here's a crazy fact. I totally FORGOT about the magnaslings!!? It wasn't until my 2nd ball when they did something strange that I realized, "Oh ya!!! Magnaslings!!??". They seem to play a little deader in general when they aren't doing crazy pulse effects.

In other news. Not trolling here... Honest!! I just saw the new film and it's actually really good. It's filled with reverent nostalgic nods to the original, but also has a personality of its own, and it's filled with actually funny lines. The FX are incredible too. Plus, there are some amazing kick ass action scenes. Don't want to derail the thread about this, but I would encourage you to see it. I'm glad I did.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, MD
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maplesyrup.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=maplesyrup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.