IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

365 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jar155. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2655 8 years ago

Everything I've seen makes me happy. Talking to people who have seen the final product, I'm even more happy. I already have a deposit down with a distributor, and I find it highly unlikely that I'm going to be disappointed when it's officially unveiled. I'm hoping that I can score an LE on this one, despite how much I hate the LE/Premium/Pro model that Stern uses...

#2675 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Way to show The Man.
rd

I hate it, but I can't do much about it.

#2735 8 years ago
Quoted from levcrush:

This was probably mentioned somewhere in the thread but don't want to go through 50 pages...who's designing this one?

It's a John Trudeau game.

#2742 8 years ago

Guys, no. Ghostbusters threads are sacred. Take it outside.

#2750 8 years ago

I've yet to see the populated whitewood. I've seen all the other leaks, but I really want to track that whitewood pic down. I get why people who have it can't share, but if anybody is willing, help a brother out? Ever since putting a deposit down, my hype levels are running out of control.

#2786 8 years ago

You guys might have just moved up Stern's announcement. It's out there now...

#3090 8 years ago

Yeah, the leaks are everywhere now. Once they hit reddit, it was over. Leaks often hit Pinside that don't get moved into the mainstream coverage, but this one caught fire being posted on the outside.

I feel bad for Stern on this one. They were really close to the official announcement anyway. Now they have these older images out there, and when they officially unveil the game, they have to compete with the images already floating around. Image searches for the game will bring up mixed results.

This leak was not intentional. Don't kid yourselves. These are fairly old pics, and Stern's marketing plan would not involve showing off early images of a game that won't line up 1 with the actual product. Beyond that, Stern is still trying to move GoT and SM VE machines, and that's all they want to talk about until they're ready to move GBs.

#3134 8 years ago

Good dot art is way better than LCD hi-def video clips. Look at Metallica, TWD, AC/DC, and some other games that don't use dot video clips. The original dot art is way more entertaining than video clips on The Hobbit or WoZ. Get some high quality dot art, and nobody will complain. AC/DC and Metallica looking AMAZING with a ColorDMD. I really hope they don't use FMV in dot form. That would be a bummer. If they use original dots, I'll be more than happy.

#3299 8 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

gb_reunion_(resized).jpg

I love that picture, but I'm sad to see them together without Harold Ramis.

#3430 8 years ago

I have this poster framed and ready to hang next to where Ghostbusters will be sitting in my pin lineup. It's a huge poster, the same size as a movie poster (40x27) and it looks great.

GB-poster_(resized).jpgGB-poster_(resized).jpg

#3465 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This just isn't catching on like "back to the future Day."
Why did a little piece of one terrible sequel to a great movie go viral, and another didn't?
We may never know.

Ghostbusters 2 isn't terrible, but the first one was going to be impossible to top.

#3505 8 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I absolutely loved the cartoon, and still do... however when they made slimer the focus of the cartoon is when it started going downhill.

We have the box set DVDs and when it changes to Slimer and the Real Ghostbusters, the quality takes a massive nosedive. It's not so much that they focused on Slimer, they just drop in quality across the board from writing to animation.

#3704 8 years ago

At this point I'm not sure what Stern is waiting for. There must be some sort of delay with production or finalizing some aspect. I doubt they're worried too much about GB interfering with SMVE sales. It's had plenty of room to breathe.

Come on Stern, give us the goods.

#3711 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Finishing the licensing approval process? Launching with a calculated marketing plan? You know...conducting business like a business?

Nah, I think something pushed it back, like later than anticipated GoT shipments or something. There's no way that they haven't already firmed up their license and marketing considerations. Stern road maps that stuff pretty far out.

#3717 8 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

So todays GB rumor is that Spidey VE issues are slowing down the GB train.

Today's speculation, actually.

Games get bumped back often with Stern. WWE came out later than expected and it rearranged some other release plans.

#3728 8 years ago

I want to go LE, but Premium might be the best looking machine in the end. I'll wait for final art and actual pictures and video to make that call, but I'm prepared to go LE if it proves to be the best looking machine.

#3730 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

To me, the best package would be the Ecto-1 art with red powder coat. Combined with an Ecto-1 topper, holy balls.

Yeah, red or blue powder coat fit the Ghostbusters feel more than Slimer green. Slimer is iconic, but red is a basic Ghostbuster color staple. Even the yellow that appears on the traps could work, but I'd prefer red most, blue second.

#3797 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

just saw these pics from the Dutch Pinball factory tour and this shows Stern are slipping behind even though I could accept a dmd the potential for a GB with lcd could be cool and be the best seller for them

screen-capture_(resized).png

Good dot art looks much better than a video clip. There's no charm or art to a 4-second video loop. I would like color displays, but I don't want video clips. Those suck.

#3808 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I thought I read that Trudeau was on this one somewhere.
Don't want to bring the guy down but he participate in 3 titles in 20 years. America vacation, Mustang and WWE.
Not very shinny.

Mustang is great. WWE has some good ideas, just didn't come together well. Trudeau is a very good designer. He'll knock this one out of the park.

#3833 8 years ago

I dunno. I think TBL looks great, but I'm not too impressed by seeing the same video clip ran 50 times per game. Hopefully they tone the frequency that you see those clips, because they'll wear thin fast.

Video clips will look great in a sizzle reel, they'll get boring in the home. Good animations with a good sound effect is better than hearing the same quote over and over. That's part of the issue with these video clips, you're bound to the same sound effect for them every dang time. At least with animations you can vary the sound effect that you get from time to time.

#3876 8 years ago

That Slimer looks amazing. Where did you get the statue?

#3944 8 years ago

I'm as big as a Ghostbusters fan as anybody you'll ever find, and I just can't understand the hate for the new movie. We know almost nothing about it other than the cast. A cast, by the way, that includes some of the funniest people in the business. The look is right, the director is a good pick, and they seem to be trying to have fun with the franchise.

Casting 4 new dudes would have been fine too, but I don't see why it would have been any different. Dudes, women, who really cares?

I'm hyped for the movie. I'm seeing it as soon as I can. I have a deposit down on the pin, I'm getting it as soon as I can. I don't understand what's wrong with being happy about two valid branches in the Ghostbusters franchise.

#4127 8 years ago

I'm still upset that this isn't a "spookulation" thread.

The leak isn't new, it's just smaller slices of a larger leaked pic. The larger pic looks pretty dang awesome.

#4147 8 years ago

I've seen the full image that those two leaked pics were cropped out of. It looks amazing, guys. This game is beautiful. Lots of purple, blues, reds, pinks, yellows. Very vibrant game.

#4194 8 years ago

I have a $1000 deposit down.

#4197 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

With who?
And we're talking LE's selling out.

I'd rather not say who it's with at this point, but they're a good distributor. It's fully refundable even after the game is announced.

#4202 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

LOL...
Guys with $$$ already down on GB:
You've officially lost the right to complain about Stern shipping machines with incomplete code or rushing machines out the door with QC issues.

A fully refundable deposit on something I've seen isn't a big deal...

#4325 8 years ago

If DMD is so bad, why haven't you guys all sold off your collections to get WoZ and on The Hobbit's preorder list? I mean if the games are so awful with DMDs, why subject yourself to such a broken and terrible experience?

#4328 8 years ago

RGB controlled LEDs are a much bigger deal than the display. Thank goodness they got that done. If you play an AC/DC with those dynamic lights (one of the games that does it best from Stern), it's extremely noticeable when you go back to play an older game. My favorite game of all time is TZ, but it looks dark and aged after playing AC/DC.

#4332 8 years ago

Oh, it's past time for DMD to get the boot in favor of LCD, but I don't see it as a valid make or break consideration. The LCD does nothing to change gameplay at all. It's purely a bells and whistles thing. A great game with no LCD is still great. A stinker game with an LCD is still a stinker. You can't put an LCD on South Park and all of sudden make me want one.

Yes, DMD is old tech and it looks old. Thing is, it doesn't matter all that much for pinball. As long as the dots are good, a ColorDMD will hide most of that old look anyway.

#4368 8 years ago

Eh, AC/DC has massive worldwide appeal and a lot of big hits. I'm not an AC/DC fan at all, and I picked up the pin based on how fun it is to play. But having never purchased a single nor album of AC/DC before, I was very familiar with Back in Black, Highway to Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long, Hells Bells, For Those About to Rock, Dirty Deeds, T.N.T., Thunderstruck, and probably a few more.

I know of plenty of Aerosmith songs, and again, I'm not a fan. But I think AC/DC has more loyal of a fan base than Aerosmith does.

#4390 8 years ago

Can you fit a Ghostbusters LE into a Slingshot? If so, put me down for both.

#4394 8 years ago

It's not a profit margin play. DMDs are more expensive than LCDs...

#4407 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Creating the graphics for the LCD could cost more than dots for a dmd It isn't all about the hardware

Which makes me think they'll rely on video clips instead of animations, which would be a huge bummer. I love good dot art, and trading it for video clips would suck.

#4605 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Anyone think they will actually have one at the Texas show?

I'd say that it's almost a given that they will unless there's a massive flaw discovered in the design during testing.

#4619 8 years ago

Friday afternoon is the worst time to announce anything unless you're announcing bad news. No announcement today, guys.

#4623 8 years ago

Ok, everybody give two lines that would be the best for when you hit a flipper button between games, for a credit drop, and the start button. My guesses:

Flipper button:

- Back off, man. I'm a scientist.
- Listen... do you smell something?

Credit drop:

- We'd like to get a sample of your brain tissue.
- What did you DO, Ray?

Start button:

- He slimed me.
- We're ready to believe you.

#4686 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I love my Mustang. It's really fun. When I saw that toilet bowl in the release pictures, I was 100% not interested. When I played it, it was a totally different experience. I should have t shirt printed with this slogan, but the ability to add custom sound to Mustang cannot be understated. Due to theme, dots and playfield art, very few games feel right with custom sound. Mustang is totally unattached to the music in those areas. Mustang big hug over.
Back to Ghostbusters non info. BTW can someone send me a link to the newest pictures?

Once the code got up to snuff, Mustang became an excellent game. I'd love to own one.

#4703 8 years ago

We're recording an episode of The Pinball Podcast tonight. If you want to hear a grown man whine and rant like a crazed fool, tune in when it drops. I'm going to go off on Stern's marketing "strategy" with Ghostbusters. As someone with over 10 years of online marketing experience, including product launches, I can't believe how bad this particular game has been handled.

#4707 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Kaneda is that you?

I have legit reason to be critical here. The window to announce the game before a massive avalanche of stories about the movie and new cast closes in two days. Stern will be a tiny blip on the Ghostbusters map. They could have avoided that sort of competition in the news cycle. I'll save deeper explanation and more reasons why they've screwed up for the show.

#4714 8 years ago

Stern always talks about new audiences and growing pinball. Stop burying your message and you might be able to do that.

#4717 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

How does it get buried when nobody reads stern press releases other than pin nerds?
Wouldn't it have an exponentially higher chance of rising to the top of search pages, news aggregators and general discussions if it were announced right before/during/after a GB movie was announced?

No, they'll have less of a chance due to the sheer volume of stories about the movie from more mainstream outlets. GB hashtags will be dominated by the movie, and news feed will be clogged with stories about the trailer and new cast.

#4719 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

If it podcasts like a duck and it criticizes pinball company marketing strategies like a duck...

I'm not a podcaster by profession. I'm more than qualified to evaluate Stern's marketing approach.

#4724 8 years ago

Uh, the Game of Thrones pin saw decent mainstream coverage, but it had a poor hype ramp up. They still had coverage on visible IGN and the Wall Street Journal though.

#4726 8 years ago

Which is why the license holder would have wanted this announcement out before the movie trailer. Either before or well after.

#4729 8 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

No offense jar155, I see the points you're trying to make about marketing, but if you're referring to Stern as the license holder, how do we know the people who grant the license aren't the ones who said movie first, then pinball and merchandise? That's typically how it is, movie then merchandise. You're making my head spin.

Sony Pictures is the license holder.

There's a big difference here than with a standard reveal. Stern had a big asset leak. They lost control of the marketing message months ago. They never even tried to take it back. That's sloppy. Basic marketing is to control the conversation about your product. They're not.

#4744 8 years ago

Our recording got a little sensitive. But here's the bottom line: the leak sucks for Stern. It does. It definitely had an impact on several things, and none of that impact has been very positive. I just wish Stern had stepped out in front of the leak, took control of the conversation, and told people to wait for an official announcement at a later date. Not sure if the show will ultimately make it to air. We'll see...

#4759 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Stupid question...does the sound of ones voice have property rights?
Meaning can a quality impersonator create new lines, in the voice of say Dan Akroyd
be used....

Fred Young did that for Bally/Williams for years. Stern too.

#4772 8 years ago

Yo, dang. Hype level 1000. Beams of hype crossed.

#4791 8 years ago

Peter is hyped.

20160302_132645_001_(resized).jpg20160302_132645_001_(resized).jpg

#4811 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Where is the guy preaching about marketing??
How that apron a fail when your schedule falls behind your print ads... Screwing up your reveal and launch.

I'm preeeeeetty sure that Stern didn't intend for that print ad to be shown today. Kind of sucks for them once again.

#4814 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's in a magazine, they put it there. How could they not have intended that?

Has it been delivered, or is this a leak from an early copy?

#4829 8 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Didnt the same thing happen with TWD, someone found an insert in a DVD set about the pin before it was announced?

Yeah, it was already highly rumored, but that was the first official piece of media that was found.

#4835 8 years ago

This would be a good ball drain sound drop.

WyecMT0_(resized).jpgWyecMT0_(resized).jpg

#4842 8 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

And that stray apostrophe, god dammit! Its not that hard people.

Yeah, it gave me the twitchy right hand when I saw that.

#4863 8 years ago

I posted our episode. The discussion we had about the handling of the leak was all before the Replay ad came out today. That definitely would have put some more color on the conversation. But if you want to hear me and Don semi argue about how the leak was handled, the episode is up now.

Direct link to the post: http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2016/03/03/episode-75-jeff-loses-it/ - obviously you can find it on just about any podcast software too.

#4877 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

if there is something interesting about GB and the leak, please direct us to a general time point. I attempted to listen and could not make it more than 5 minutes in before realizing I dont have 1hr 40min to listen to find some snippet on this topic. If you are going to cross post/ spam then at least do the audience the favor of telling us where in the segment you are going to talk about the subject.

I wish I was such a big shot that my time was so valuable that I couldn't use the time seek feature of a media player.

#4893 8 years ago

Obviously the game was supposed to be announced before that ad hit. I know that Stern likes to announce and start shipping shortly after, but certainly there are times when you have to make concessions and adapt to changing external factors. Now that the game has been confirmed officially unofficially, can a brother just get a little teaser? C'mon, Stern. You know you want to.

She's excited.

12717954_10153871877983346_6353572843658866918_n_(resized).jpg12717954_10153871877983346_6353572843658866918_n_(resized).jpg

#4902 8 years ago

Lately Stern has been announcing Premium models after the LE/Pro. I imagine that will be the case here, but you never know. I think LEs will probably sell out before we see the Premium.

#4911 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

KISS and GOT had Premiums announced at launch.

I thought we had to wait a bit to see the Premium. I remember they announced that a "Winter is Coming" premium was coming, but didn't show it. Maybe I'm forgetting.

#4936 8 years ago

What's that LE price?

#4941 8 years ago

I'm happy with two threads. Heck, I'll take a Ghostbusters sub-forum at this point.

New movie Slimer agrees.

slimer_(resized).pngslimer_(resized).png

#5195 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I game a review of the pros and cons here on Pinside and boy did I get reamed as a troll for being honest. Too many people had fresh money blinders on and could not be objective.

The majority of that was probably from TheFamilyArcade...

I'm super excited for GB. I'm in. If I put the money down and it shows up and proves to be a stinker, I won't have any problem admitting as much. To lie to myself and others is pointless. I would have been so upset had I bought The Avengers NIB (I considered it when it was announced), but I would have sold it and just moved on. From what I've seen of Ghostbusters, I'm not concerned about it being a stinker, but if it is, I'll keep it for a while and then move on. It's funny that it would be so hard for some people to do the same.

#5203 8 years ago

Yeah, I don't really care about the value of the games I have. All that really matters to me is the enjoyment I get out of my lineup. When I got my AFM, I could have got MM at the same price. I went with AFM because I like it more. Regardless of value, I just own the games I like to play and that my visitors enjoy. I think collecting based on any other criteria is just a good way to end up frustrated.

#5210 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I call bull on that.
Great theme ≠ great pinball.
It might = huge pre purchasing by fanboys, but it has almost no correlation to a great pinball game, IMO.

Star Wars and The Avengers support your argument.

On the other hand, I do think that when you land a home run theme you do try to maximize its impact by pairing it with the best possible rules and design that you can. GB has been on pinheads' wishlists for a long, long time. Tron was the last game I remember being so commonly requested. Thankfully the design and rules came through.

#5217 8 years ago

You can't tell anything until you play it. Sometimes you can't tell anything until you've played it after a couple of code revisions.

First time I played Mustang, I wasn't too high on it. After the code got tightened up, it became a very good game. Spider-Man and TWD were the same way too.

#5267 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

With the recent "below the playfield" discussion, are we worried that Stern won't have this figured out, or are we just wondering how it works?

There's a subway under the game and I'm sure it ties into the ramp in case of problems.

#5324 8 years ago

Listen, do you smell something?

Smells like an impending announcement.

#5326 8 years ago

Nigel on Stern's Facebook page: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

Edit: That's it! Spinal Tap None More Black LE (STNMBLE)

#5351 8 years ago

Time to hit the commute. I'm expecting the announcement to be tomorrow, but I would love to get home and find that it all dropped while I was sitting in traffic.

#5362 8 years ago

"And you get to be on the LE!"

rgb_ep_misterslimer_(resized).jpgrgb_ep_misterslimer_(resized).jpg

#5398 8 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

There's traffic in Utah?

Stuck in it now...

20160310_082245_(resized).jpg20160310_082245_(resized).jpg

#5457 8 years ago

I'm still fishing for words, but let me just say that I'm very, very pleased.

#5590 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

Just kidding. First time in a long time it doesn't look the Pro is a sacrifice.

Really? I think GOT, Metallica, Mustang, and ST are all great Pros that don't sacrifice much.

#5833 8 years ago

I put my second deposit down to lock in my LE. I've never been more excited for a pinball machine than I am for this one. Now the wait begins, and boy, it's going to feel like a long one.

#5843 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is the best part of Stern releases... the wait isn't THAT long. Fun to get on board for these rides. These are the only pre-orders I will do anymore.

Yeah, it's a short wait in comparison to other manufacturers, but again, I've never wanted a game this bad.

#5851 8 years ago
Quoted from MnHotRod:

Anybody have a HiRez image, straight down on the entire playfield, for the Pro. IGN has the Premium and LE, but not the Pro. Trying to print both on 11x17 so I can compare when I get home.

stern-ghostbustersle-playfield-01xjpg-19d4d4_(resized).jpgstern-ghostbustersle-playfield-01xjpg-19d4d4_(resized).jpg

Link to huge one: http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2016/03/09/stern-ghostbustersle-playfield-01xjpg-19d4d4.jpg

#5855 8 years ago

Oh, wait, he said Pro. Sorry dude.

#5900 8 years ago

Yeah, the LEs are probably gone or close to gone by now. Seems like it should have been 500 just for the US and 250 for overseas, but they'll do well on premiums.

#5951 8 years ago
Quoted from DHG:

Haha... thanks, but I was just being sarcastic about the DMD... as huge a fan that I am (and currently in the market for a machine) this is unacceptable to me in this day and age... and thus a deal breaker. And if everyone else would man up and boycot Stern on this then maybe they would wake up and give in already. I'm out... I'll always have the movie.

Ok.

Do you own any DMD games? If so, you should sell them because they're no longer any fun.

#7056 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

ESP video mode sounds like a dud.

Nah, those types of video modes are way better than the ones where you just memorize the pattern or optimal way to play it. They become brainless interruptions to the game.

#7097 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

In addition to pinball machines, I collect spores, molds, & fungus.

We had part of a plunger rod spring, but I straightened it.

#7118 8 years ago

Yo, that ramp is fast!

The game looks and sounds great.

#7124 8 years ago

It sounds nice aside from the pop bumper noises. The music is varied and really fitting. That multiball sequence intro was really, really cool.

#7261 8 years ago

Guys, the flipper gap isn't an issue. It's part of the design, and it's intentional. We've never closed the gap on other Trudeau games in the past. In fact, we often add lightning flippers to games that are too easy without them.

#7269 8 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Anyone know in what order the games are being shipped? Pro's, LE's and then Premiums?

I believe it's going to be all LEs and some pros, then a big run of pros, and then premiums. After that it will be pros and premiums based on demand.

#7403 8 years ago

Stern almost always lets you skip animations with a double flipper press. I don't see why it would be different here.

#7419 8 years ago

I don't mind a linear experience. It just moves the variants from the modes to how well you perform on each mode. Plenty of games that don't really have modes or are fairly fixed in their progression are tons of fun. You still get to choose whether you want to focus on a mode, work towards multiball, or aim for other scoring opportunities. Something like Scared Stiff has absolutely zero variation, and it's still tons of fun because it's completely based on how well you shoot. Nothing is started at random or by chance in that game, it's all plotted out before you even drop a coin.

#7422 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am more than happy with the code Full Throttle has out of the gate.

Sure, but compare the length of development cycle and the wait between announcement and ship date. I'd rather get my game early and let it evolve over time.

#7472 8 years ago

I think we're all assuming way too much at this point. We don't even know if the code they played yesterday was the newest code. Most often times demos are based on the most recent stable code, not necessarily the latest. It's way, way too early to be jumping off of preorders based on yesterday's stream or to start proclaiming that the game will be repetitive or boring. And that's just speaking for the Pro, you still have new shots and different functionality to consider with the LE/Premium machines.

What we saw was basically a sneak peak of sorts. You can't really judge it until you see the full product.

#7491 8 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Oh, nice! I was not aware of that. I'm going to have a field day with this one then. I have all the tracks ready to go.

Bobby Brown is about to get a career revival.

#7669 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I thought that might be the case, its too bad though. I feel the magnets are going to either be a love-it or hate-it feature of the Prem/LE model, so lets just hope they can code these things perfectly out of the gate, fixing any issues with them with code updates later would suck.

Honestly, man, at this point I would drop your LE and wait to get a pro or premium. You seem to post more about your doubts than anything else. Why roll the dice for some green armor if you're that hesitant? Save the money and get some peace of mind and get a premium if everything shakes out well.

#7674 8 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

When ANY ball hits EITHER sling, ALL BALLS near the magnets will be thrown in the direction of the "pulse(s)".

It really depends on the size of the magnet, the length of the pulse, and the distance of the ball to the magnet that activates. A ball near one sling might not be affected be the opposite magnet, we just don't know yet.

Guys, these magnets are going to be more expensive for Stern to implement than kickers. They involve more programming time, much more testing, and probably more material cost. I don't think they would choose to go this route if they didn't feel like they added to the game in a positive manner.

#7676 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Because I can sell the LE easily if I don't like it. I post my doubts because I have skin in the game with a deposit. Do you have any money down on the game yet? If you did, you would probably be analyzing key details a little more like myself. I am hoping it turns out great, if I am disappointed i'll sell the thing. I just hope it wont come down to that

Fair enough. And yes, I do have money down. I'm in for an LE as well. Given Stern's recent track record, I guess I'm must a bit more optimistic and trusting at this point. They have been hitting some big home runs as of late.

#7738 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

If I'm not mistaken, the magnet can only attract a steel ball, regardless of the polarity.

Correct. Since the ball is not a magnet itself, it's only attracted and cannot be repelled.

#7740 8 years ago

One thing to remember about the magnetic slings is that they're not meant to approximate or replicate the functionality of mechanical slings. If that's what they wanted, they'd just use mechs. They're definitely shooting for an entirely unique experience.

#7745 8 years ago
Quoted from Raknitz:

what about a playfield proctector to prevent scratching from balls being dragged to mag slings ?

Might not be a bad idea. I guess mylar would be the go to solution.

#7830 8 years ago

While I agree that the photoshop art is unfortunate and would be best if companies could avoid it, they can't always do that. The license holder often provides an art package that must be used, and all depictions of characters and key items to the franchise are fixed. The only artistic freedom that the artist at Stern or JJP gets is with how they place the assets. Zombi Yeti knocked it out of the park, and kudos to Stern for letting him do so. But even more than that, a huge thanks should be given to Sony Pictures for allowing Stern to do custom art in the first place.

Compare The Rolling Stones are to The Rolling Stones Monopoly board game. Notice the similarities? Yeah, that's what happens when the license holder gives the same art out without regard to the different mediums it will be used.

I'm sure Stern prefers custom art, it just turns out that not many license holders are forward thinking enough or their marketing departments are too worried about brand dilution or confusion by creating new likenesses of their product.

#7837 8 years ago

Well, GoT is on backorder and orders are in. It's doing fine. The game is tons of fun, especially the Pro. I wish people could look past art and just enjoy the game. It's a real winner.

#7839 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I need to find a GoT Pro to play... the dragon doesn't do ANYTHING for me either, so a Pro might be a winner.

The Pro is much better. It's so freaking fast and smooth.

#7865 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Not to sound stupid but I'm not sure what the problem is with the ramp... what am I missing?

I don't get the issue either. I think it offers some pretty cool ball action and it's kind of unique. I guess people want it to return to the other flipper.

#7869 8 years ago

Does it in Chrome too. It's a Pinside bug. It's why we keep getting dupe posts. It kicks them back, and they hit reply again.

#7872 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

For comedic purposes you really should have posted that three times ...

No, that would just be obnoxious.

#7873 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

#7874 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

#7881 8 years ago

No, they don't make things "intentionally bad." The ramp is fine. It has functionality in along the length of the ramp, which is pretty rare. Clean shots earn you more than sloppy ones. It's a neat concept for a ramp.

#8098 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I'd be surprised if a ssd is absoutely necessary (I'm driving hd clips on a $35 rasPI from a USB stick!), but then again, ssd prices have dropped so quickly - it's not like that would be a huge price adder.... Well, until Stern marks it up 500%

It's not hard to drive the video, but to have it load and display immediately after a hit is harder. Load/lag time is the problem.

#8111 8 years ago

I think I posted this here once before, but I'm hanging this on the wall near my Ghostbusters. Should look great.

20160130_220839_(resized).jpg20160130_220839_(resized).jpg

#8215 8 years ago

We have joint accounts and haven't had an argument about money in 15 years!

We've never had a money argument either. My wife stays at home and I have never worried about the money she spends or I spend. As long as everybody is pulling their weight in a relationship, money should be the last thing to worry about. All money is "our money."

#8225 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

You probably won't like the ESP video mode part either. Novelty at 1st, then after a few correct guesses you think when does this end?

I think it's actually a good video mode. It rewards gambling, it's not something you can memorize, and you can quit at any moment you want. Each correct guess raises the stakes.

#8259 8 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

TIMELINE:
A "few" Pros ship.
Then all LEs.
Then Pros.
Then people start gouging others for NIB LEs they've been sitting on.
Then Premiums
Then Pros.
Then people start gouging others for NIB LEs they've been sitting on.
This has been confirmed by the interwebz.

It's the circle of life.

#8321 8 years ago

My Facebook profile pic has me standing in a Ghostbusters jumpsuit. I'm a fan.

#8415 8 years ago

Stern's live stream showed a lot of GBs being built, and one even being boxed at the end. Several that they showed were headed to France. I didn't see any LEs or Premiums, so they must just be cranking out Pros right now.

#8474 8 years ago

Because I kinda like you guys, I'm going to run a little contest. Whoever can guess the date that we'll first see an LE or premium played on video from Stern (official video), I'll give them a Ghostbusters related prize. PM me your guess and I'll go back and check them when the day hits. Closest to it wins. If we have ties, I'll come up with an arbitrary tiebreaker or come up with multiple prizes.

Good luck.

#8582 8 years ago

At first I wasn't big on the LE art but now it's my favorite of the bunch. It's so loud and crazy, and my kids LOVE Slimer from watching the cartoon so much.

#8629 8 years ago

New shirt!

20160326_180006_(resized).jpg20160326_180006_(resized).jpg

#8689 8 years ago

Well, Stern is hoping to have the launch party tournaments start running mid-April, so shipping must be starting next week on those first wave Pros. I don't know what that means for my LE's shipping estimate, but probably a good week or two later at the earliest.

#8710 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So why does a American company give other countries their stuff first?

Probably ships to them first because of a longer ship time. We'll get ours around the same time or a little before they get theirs.

#8713 8 years ago

The IFPA seems to think that games will be in US owners' hands by April 15th or soon after.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/stern-ghostbusters-pinball-launch-party-ifpa-looking-for-volunteers/

"The date Stern is targeting is April 15-17th weekend or later."

#8716 8 years ago

I wonder what LE number I'll have. I should have asked for #155, of course.

#8729 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Being pretty new to the hobby, well- new to being an owner vs just a player, is it typical for Stern to announce and only show gameplay from a Pro model of a new release?

Yeah, the Premium/LE generally gets shown off a little later these days. You get the pics of the LE/Premium on the same day or soon after seeing the pics of the Pro, but the Pro usually leads the charge thereafter. We'll see the Premium soon, I'm sure, but they haven't been on the line yet, so they might wait for a production model to show it off.

#8742 8 years ago

NSFW language, but a funny discussion about Slimer.

#8748 8 years ago

Unsecured Hot Wheels all over a Mustang really spice things up. Still, nothing compares to bits of loose flesh left rotting in a Walking Dead to add some authenticity.

#8833 8 years ago

I'm not a fan of most video modes, but the risk/reward aspect of this one makes it fine with me. Video modes that you can just memorize the timing on or they become brainlessly easy over time are no good. This one should be fun.

#8882 8 years ago

Skill-based video modes are only a challenge the first few times. Then you master them and they turn into a waste of time.

#8896 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Where as video modes which involve no skill at all are just a waste of time from the beginning.

Not if it has a good element of risk and reward.

#8916 8 years ago

I'm ready to give the movie a fair chance. Paul Feig is funny, he's working with some of the funniest people in the industry, and it's a franchise I love. I'm looking forward to it.

I JUST HOPE I HAVE MY PIN BEFORE THAT POINT.

#9071 8 years ago

Yeah, there's been no evidence that LEs are on the line yet. I was hoping for a late April delivery initially, but now I'd be happy if we saw it at any point in May.

#9097 8 years ago

I'm not worried about the slings. I want them to be different than standard slings. That's the point of having them in the first place. I don't think those have held up the showing off of the Premium or LE games. The pro is on the line and that's the game they're talking about right now. When there are hundreds of Premium and LE models rolling off the line, they'll pull one for a video shoot.

#9099 8 years ago

Propaganda's list is ridiculous, by the way. Let's look at it.

What is a pinball machine?

Pinballs - Well, yeah, of course. But there is variance in the types of balls used.
Flippers - Another no duh, but there are different types, sizes, and shapes.
Pop bumpers - Again, tons of variance here. Pops are extremely varied, but removing them wouldn't necessarily ruin a game or make it less. Not every game demands adherence to a standard. No Fear doesn't even have pop bumpers and nobody complains about it.
Slingshots - Many different shapes, sizes, and styles. Some games have dead slings, some have additional kickers in other parts of the playfield. Changing the slings isn't unheard of.
Plunger - Again, there are games with shooter rods, some that don't have any. Some have interactive plungers, some don't.
Drain - Yeah, of course.
Software (rules) - Of course.
Art / music / sound - Music and sound are absent in lots of classics, and Whoa Nellie lacks both aside from chimes.
Theme - You could easily have a great game that was totally devoid of theme, though it helps to have a good theme.

Sounds like Propaganda wants a design by the numbers approach to pinball. Might as well just have nothing but fan layouts with left/right combo ramps.

#9109 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Like Shadow, JD, Champion Pub, Junk Yard...? I was only checking the top 100 though, should I go deeper into games like SOF and No Fear? Are you sarcastically arguing that innovative pins suck?

He has a history of poorly formed arguments on this forum. Best not to put too much thought into what he's trying to say. He'll just move the goal posts when you point out the flaws in what he's saying anyway.

#9113 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

He does fill a vital role in trying to even out the fan boy mentality by some people in these types of threads.

Fanboyism is bad too, but I don't think blind love or baseless hating are the types of behavior we need. Negative and positive speculation are fine, but it's so strange to be flying a flag so proudly on one side of the fence or the other.

When it comes down to it, the slings are an unknown quantity, but that should be more exciting than worrying. Maybe they prove to be fairly lame, but if you already knew the outcome before you started, was it really an adventure? I'm excited to see something new.

#9122 8 years ago

Eh, they look pretty cheap to me.

#9152 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Pss
Too bad the LE doesn't get fancy rails like GOT, ST or SMVE and makes do with simple cheap lollypop style while the premium gets nothing.

The lollipop rails are a better shape than these weird straight edged ones.

#9233 8 years ago

The little flame coming out of the front of the gun looks like it was designed by a 4-year old with red and orange paper and a pair of scissors. The rest looks like clip art meant for creating stencils. Looks so cheap.

Seriously, the entire thing looks like it was ripped off of a "Spirit Trappers" dollar store toy package. "Dr. Stands comes with a beam thrower to capture pesky spirits."

#9422 8 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Personally I think it's simple marketing. Sell as many pros and le as possible then sell the premiums. I just went to get the new Star Wars 3D blu Ray. Of course they are selling the reg blu rays (pros) first then releasing 3D ( premiums ) later this year. It's a money thing simple as that. And really it's good for us too keeps stern profitable and in business. Sorry pretty darn sure that's what's going on.

Well, the LEs are already sold out, and Stern makes a bigger margin on premiums, so I don't think it's a marketing move. I just think that the line is full of backlogged orders right now. There are NINE games on the line right now.

#9576 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

This magna-sling feature is always going to be the theme of discussion when talking about a Pro vs a Prem/LE machine.. just like the hammer with Metallica.
Pro-guys: But - it flows so much better with traditional slings! The Pro plays better, I hate the way the magnets work.
Prem-Guys: But - I love the magnet slings, it is so innovating and is a critical piece of gameplay in this machine
Why do I feel like we are going to see this debate last years like with Metallica? Buy what version YOU like, period. Who gives a crap, I doubt the magnet slings are going to be a *bad* thing or else they would have ditched the idea a long time ago.

Well, the hammer is just a toy that fails often. It is objectively a problem point. The magnetic slings are going to be a more subjective "problem" or bonus to the game.

#9583 8 years ago

Chill out on the definitive statements, Propaganda. Nobody outside of Stern knows how these will play at this point.

#9593 8 years ago

I love the chaos that the magnets create in The Addams Family during multiball, but that is magnets + mechanical slings. In Ghostbusters, you'll remove the mechs, so you're dealing with only magnets at that point, and they're near the flippers. It's going to make for very quick saves, as the magnet effect is going to happen so near the flippers, rather than in the middle of the playfield. I'm excited to see if they can pull a ball from the flipper itself and throw it into play, making it hard or impossible to trap a ball. That could be neat!

Or they might just act a lot like standard slings most the time and then you get the occasional unpredictable craziness. We simply don't know, but it's exciting to get something different.

#9646 8 years ago

The wait is slow for every game right now, not just Ghostbusters. Stern is literally months behind on some orders. I know people who have been waiting over two months for a Game of Thrones, others have been waiting a very long time for Star Trek or Metallica. Spider-Man is behind. Stern has a lot of games on the line and there are just tons of orders in.

#9670 8 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Don't forget about half the factory being filled with mmr. Waiting for parts. That's a mess in sure stern won't do again.

MMR has been a disaster in as many (or more) ways than it's been a success. I'm glad that it happened and that people are getting their machines, but the process has been slow and painful.

#9672 8 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I seem to remember posts that Stern was having trouble with their playfield supplier keeping up with the increased demand. Then there were posts that Stern was considering bringing playfield production in house.
Is there any validity to either of these playfield supply issues?

I have heard both of those things, but don't know if it was every fully verified.

#9992 8 years ago

WOW! Those magna slings look crazy and awesome.

#9996 8 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Stern just broadcast a short live stream of the mag slings. I think some of you are going to be disappointed....

I think they look great. With multiple balls it's going to be wild.

#10002 8 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

i was thinking more about them saying it was early code, and maybe it could mean some delay for the LEs that everybody was getting excited about being shipped in the near future.

Well, we know that Stern isn't shy about shipping with early code...

#10004 8 years ago

So does this count as showing the premium/LE for my contest?

#10007 8 years ago

Obviously the magnets are on a short pulse right now, but I could see it being programmed to hold at times or longer pulses to throw harder. It's going to be nutty.

#10114 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

Yup, and here's why:
What they've got here is basically a chaotic system that's sensitive to initial inputs, so no amount of tweaking is going to 'fix' it.
What has dumbfounded me the most is that Stern seem to have ignored the fact that a lot of people have attempted to do similar things with magnets over the years and everyone has reached the same conclusion, which they've ignored.
Unless you have a known start state (ie ball stopped), then the 'output' is just going to be random. Think about the ball throws on Shadow, Spiderman and even Thing flips on TAF.

There's lots of control that can be implemented. Different lengths and frequency of pulses and hold states would all cause very different action. It seems like in this video that it was multiple short light pulses, which caused the ball to keep getting pulled back, but a faster hard pulse is going to cause a bigger rebound off the rubber and act more like a typical sling. We're also seeing the ball move very slowly here, so velocities will be much different in gameplay.

Standard slings are very unpredictable already. It's not like you always know where the sling is going to send the ball.

#10135 8 years ago

The Pro ramps are fine. Nobody who has played it has complained about the ramp much. I kind of like the idea of a shot that rewards you extra for hitting it more cleanly, kind of like a spinner does.

I'm in for an LE, but I don't think people who end up with a Pro have any reason to be disappointed in the difference in feature sets.

#10185 8 years ago

What do you think pop bumpers and slings are for? Randomness. Pinball hasn't been about increasing control. The player is given one aspect of control (the flippers) and the rest is a fight against randomness.

#10216 8 years ago

Jared said this on Facebook:

What was shown today was just a live Testaments ration on it earlier version of the code. This is to say that in the future the way the magnet pulses the ball can change and improve to achieve different effects in different circumstances.

They also didn't show any of the lighting or sound effects that accompanies the movement.

And they certainly didn't show the mayhem during a multi-ball.

I understand how it might be weird for some people to see something that's been so predictable and consistent for 40 years suddenly be completely different.

I don't think it is as radical as something like orbiter one but for sure Ghostbusters will go down in history as having this extremely unique feature with the slings.

I've seen some of the tricks that the game can do that we're not shown in the video and it really is amazing stuff. You can imagine that a ghost takes control of the ball while and animation and sounds show on the screen and the ball does special choreographed movements down on the playfield. It's wild to see.

#10426 8 years ago

Trudeau has stated that he designed the LE/Premium first. Borg designs the Pro first, but Trudeau starts with the extra features and then scales back for the Pro.

#10431 8 years ago

Eh, the typo doesn't bother me or excite me either way. I'd prefer if it didn't exist, but I won't notice it all that much. Spider-Man has a typo too, but I've never given it any thought.

#10458 8 years ago

I might be crazy, but I'm considering driving out to PinBall Jones in Colorado (6.5 hours each way) to play in the launch tournament. I'm itching to play that bad, and I would love to take part in the launch.

#10557 8 years ago

$30 for the plastic protectors is insane. I mean, seriously.

#10872 8 years ago

Airballs and the like calm down a lot as the game breaks in.

#10880 8 years ago

Slimer was in Ghostbusters 2 as well. He wasn't just a product of the cartoon. Even without the cartoon really making him part of things, he would still be the most recognizable ghost from the movies. They spent more time on him than any other ghost, by far.

#10930 8 years ago

Every time Stern does a live factory tour, and Ghostbusters LE is not on the line, an angel loses its wings.

#11194 7 years ago

If fries are the rumors or statements about when GB LE will be shipping, here's the proper amount of salt to apply.

salt_(resized).jpgsalt_(resized).jpg

#11205 7 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

and what's the difference between the le and the premium?

Art, armor, and a numbered plaque. In regards to features, nothing.

#11208 7 years ago

I don't think lack of video points to any issues, to be honest. Stern doesn't do a lot of video. The Ghostbusters announcement video is all we have, officially. Everything else is from streamers or people in the wild. Stern just doesn't have much of a video strategy when it comes to showing off their games beyond the initial reveal.

#11272 7 years ago

Not related to the pinball machine, but the Kickstarter for Ghostbusters: The Board Game 2 is still going. The first one is a great game, and the sequel looks a lot better. If for no other reason than to see Ernie Hudson in a GB uniform again, check out the promo video: http://bit.ly/OccultRefNet

#11274 7 years ago

Stern and IGN released a quick unboxing video of the LE today...oh wait, that's a Game of Thrones LE.

#11278 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Dude. What did I just watch. That was embarrassing :/

I thought it was cheesy fun. They're hamming it up on purpose. And man, at least Winston gets some face time these days. He's been so ignored over the years.

#11290 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

No, no it wasn't. It was a half-assed reskinning of Zombicide with no depth and really dumbed down rules. Yes, I realize everyone has their own opinion, but this game was just not fun or interesting aside from unboxing the minis. The Kickstarter add-on tiles and missions make things a little bit more interesting but the retail version was embarrassingly barren

I only played the Deluxe Edition from Kickstarter. I found it to be accessible enough to get newcomers to board games into it.

#11406 7 years ago

I expect middle of May at this point for the game to hit the line. Late May seems likely for deliveries. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see mid-May delivery for my LE, but I think that's being a bit too optimistic based on who I've talked to.

#11412 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

Ghostbusters LE gameplay will be live-streamed NEXT WEDNESDAY (May 4) from the Stern Factory by Dead Flip at 5pm CST. Jody just announced it on Dead Flip's stream (https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip).

Looking forward to it, only a week away. Timing is weird, since the whole Internet will be buried in Star Wars hype, but I'll take it whenever I can get it.

#11415 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

What starwars hype is coming out?

May the 4th is Star Wars day. Every year.

#11425 7 years ago

Wait. Are you the dude that said they'd never announce GB when they did (so late) because it would be buried in GB (movie) press?

I said that it shouldn't have been announced on the same day as the movie trailer and that they should have got out ahead of that. As far as mainstream media coverage goes, the movie crushed the pinball machine in coverage.

#11430 7 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Was there any doubt? I think everything beat the machine in coverage. Regardless of how much all of us are refreshing Pinside for updates this is still a very niche market.

Of course it is, especially given that these are machines that start at $5000. But the purpose behind marketing is to grow your market, even if the growth opportunity is small.

#11454 7 years ago

So now we're not sure that it's the LE that Jack is streaming next week?

#11606 7 years ago

I went to the launch party last night in Fort Collins, Colorado at Pinball Jones. It was a blast! I ended up taking second to fellow Pinsider InfiniteLives. He had an awesome run and our final game was decided by less than one million points. It was a rush. Congrats, man!

I thought that the Pro was a ton of fun. The flipper gap didn't seem to matter much aside from some really tough saves when the ball came down the middle from the pops (exiting left). It keeps you on your toes. The outlanes are very tough, but it's definitely something you get better at dealing with as you dial in to your shots. The only big issue I had with the game was that the outlane guides are VERY short and sometimes the ball would simply hop over them. That was a bit frustrating.

The Pro is solid, and I think the Premium/LE is going to be fantastic as well.

#11623 7 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Has there been any vid or pics of the previously mentioned "you've been slimed" mode? I wonder how green the PF gets.

It's the big arrow inserts that turn green.

#11639 7 years ago

The right ramp is as tight of a ramp as I've ever seen, but I was able to hit it multiple times on purpose. It's not impossible, guys.

#11659 7 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the pro/premium/LE model, but it's what we have. Call it "option of choice" if you want, but to me it's a margin game, plain and simple. Usually the pro games are very good, but for AC/DC I couldn't settle for pro. For Ghostbusters I don't want to either, despite the pro being a very solid package. For certain games I can justify the extra cost to myself, even if it doesn't look justifiable on paper. For other games, that cost difference isn't worth it, and I would be plenty happy with the pro (MET and ST, for example).

#11665 7 years ago

Ok, here's my solo on the road podcast from the trip out to Fort Collins for the launch party. Skip to when I give my thoughts on Ghostbusters at 55:34 - http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2016/05/04/ghostbusters-launch-party-road-trip/

If you're subscriber, it's in the standard show feed, along with episode 80.

For those that just want to know how I feel about it...well, I like it. Haha.

20160501_164053_(resized).jpg20160501_164053_(resized).jpg

20160501_193033_(resized).jpg20160501_193033_(resized).jpg

20160501_161310_(resized).jpg20160501_161310_(resized).jpg

20160501_193040_(resized).jpg20160501_193040_(resized).jpg

#11668 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Listed to a little of your podcast and I really liked your explanation of how the game played.
Interested thing is you mentioned the two machines played very differently, with one being wild and balls hopping the guides, and the other feeling tighter and playing much better.
I doubt you'll remember, but did one of them have the misspelled insert and the other didn't by any chance?
Reason I ask is Stern posted on their FB pages initially that the playfields that had the mispelling were "prototype playfields" and not production. So apparently they decide to save cash and not scrap those prototype playfields and just use them in production games. I'm wondering if those prototype playfields with the misspelled inserts are the ones having the weird issues with flippers, ball hops, etc and that the secondary batch with the corrected spelling also included other improvements and changes to that run.
That could explain a lot. Maybe there is a correlation here...

Dang it, I didn't think to look. Maybe a local can check. I'll reach out to one of them.

#11712 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

It was, however, a product of the 80's when you listen to the silly campy music that plays at times, the really poor and overly simplistic dialogue.

What? Aside from the clothes and the cars, the movie has aged VERY well. It doesn't feel pegged into the 80s at all. GB2, yes, but the original is timeless with very clever dialog that refrains from cheap and referential humor.

#11722 7 years ago

Why would GB 2 be more pegged with the 80's than the original?
I mean GB with it's excessive smoking, EPA bad guy, and such seems more pegged to the 80's.

Everything from the way it's shot to the references made. GB2 is just far more anchored in the 80s, but that's not a bad thing. I love pop culture that's a product of its time. It just happens that GB1 has aged better in regards to the look and feel.

#11738 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The costume design (outside the ghostbusters themselves) screams 80s

Hair and clothes are 80s, but there's no escaping that. Obviously music is the same unless you go classical score. But the dialog is not referential to current trends and events. Yes, it's set in the 80s, and it looks like it's set in the 80s, but it doesn't feel like a movie that has aged poorly. You could make a movie today and have it set in the 80s and it would probably look and feel fairly similar, just with more modern music.

Back to the Future has aged similarly well. Yeah, it's an 80s movie set in the 80s, but it hasn't aged poorly to the point where the humor or dialog only connects to people who grew up in that time.

#11997 7 years ago

There's no reason not to include a family mode. It's a staple in the industry. Even if it comes later, that's fine. My kids are going to be playing this a lot, and there are a handful of lines I'd prefer they don't go on repeating afterwards.

Other than that, I'm all out of concerns. Get me my LE and let me go crazy on it, Stern.

#12161 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I dunno why, but it's kind of funny how many people write "Slimmer" instead of "Slimer"

It's actually driving me crazy and I'm about to code my own Chrome plugin that changes all instances of "Slimmer" on Pinside to "Slimer."

#12169 7 years ago

People downplaying the Slimer movement on the premium/LE are crazy. It makes a huge difference that he moves left and right. Having put in hours of time on the pro, it will be very nice to wait to shoot for Slimer until he's in a safer position than just straight up the middle. He's going to take more skill to deal with overall as it's not the same shot every time. It's a very different experience.

The improved right ramp is also a big deal. The left flipper feed is nice, but really it's more of a reliability deal. The shot is VERY tight, and sometimes you'll hit it on the pro but not get credit because it doesn't go quite high enough. I had that happen several times. That right ramp on the pro is really cool how you can get more points for a cleaner shot, but it's a huge bummer when you make it and get zero credit.

The scoop versus the saucer on the right is also a decent improvement. Scoops are just more reliable overall. Saucers are fine, but they tend to reject at a higher rate, even on a perfectly clean shot.

The magnaslings are simply a matter of preference. They're more unpredictable, and they're not as active as regular slings, but they do bring some neat effect and randomness. The dead hits are present on the pro slings as well, but not as often as we saw on the LE stream. It's a different shape of sling, and it causes the switches to be less prone to firing on hits that are very high or very low on the sling. But there's no objective "better" between pro and premium/LE here.

The effect on the subway ramp can only be appreciated in person. Just like White Water, that insanity falls ramp is dang cool in person, but totally pedestrian in a top down video. The same goes for the Ecto Goggles. And yes, I've talked to people who have seen these in person and they very much back this sentiment up.

The bottom line is this: Both versions of the game are great. Tons of fun, great action, and beautiful. However, there are objectively things on the premium/LE that will make it play better and provide a richer experience. Whether or not those improvements are worth it to you is up to your opinion and situation. For me, it's worth it to go LE, but that might not be the case for many others. I don't think the pro buyers are "settling" for less, but premium/LE aren't overpaying for features either.

#12178 7 years ago

Agree. I prefer the Metallica pro over the premium/LE. That hammer blocks vision and it's not 100% reliable. I also prefer GOT pro over the premium/LE.

#12180 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Lots of folks that prefer the pro don't understand all you can do with the upper PF. When the game first came out, I preferred the pro, then put some time in with an LE. It totally changes the approach to the game for me.

I don't dislike the premium/LE. For GOT I just got hooked on that blinding speed of the pro. They're actually quite different, but both are winners.

#12211 7 years ago

I don't think it's a coding ability thing. I think it's a time commitment issue. Light programming is VERY simple in comparison to rules and and other stuff.

#12330 7 years ago

It's been a week since I've played Ghostbusters and I have the itch. This game is addictive, man. I'm still waiting on news about when my LE should be shipping, but I've seen more distributors asking for payment in full. Hopefully that means that they have word from Stern that the game is going on the line this week. That would be awesome.

#12367 7 years ago

For those upset about the Trudeau gap...it could be much worse.

IMAG0411_(resized).jpgIMAG0411_(resized).jpg

#12371 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Is that an ultra rare Drac Cracker?

They called it "Short Fangs."

#12442 7 years ago

Seems like nobody has posted about receiving a machine for a few days. Did production slow?

#12458 7 years ago

$10k makes me think, but I'm not going to sell my LE. Yes, I was approached, and I said no. Ghostbusters has been my all-time most wanted theme, so it only makes sense that I'm going in all the way on this one. Anything else and I'm fine going premium.

#12516 7 years ago

I wonder if Propaganda could possibly post more throwaway junk in this thread. I guess we'll see!

#12528 7 years ago

I can't wait until the "I got my premium" posts are real, because by that point I will have put several hundred plays on my LE.

#12798 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I was able to avoid any drains from those drops by hitting them on the outside edges of the drops. Maybe the game needs to be adjusted, who knows. Bally Bricks sometimes happen. but not a ton.

After playing Diner for pin golf at Pin-a-Go-Go, I can say that the Scoleri targets were no less forgiving than the stand ups on that dang game.

I love Diner though, so I can't be too mad.

#12879 7 years ago

I wish there was just one Slimer mech. I have an LE, but it would be cool if the pros had the same functionality. Then any fixes or upgrades apply equally to both models.

#12882 7 years ago

What? Slimer is awesome right now, even with just simple up and down movement, but having him move left and right is a big deal. You need to aim your shot a bit more deliberately, and more importantly, you can wait for him to move to a safer position to hit him. Middle shots are the scariest thing in GB, so being able to hit him when he's off to the side a bit really helps.

#12985 7 years ago
Quoted from Namsan:

Here some shots of my GB PRO custom.
EDIT : List of use parts ...
--------
||| Some metal parts on playfield are polished for a mirror effect (ball guides/ball gates etc...)
||| LED Green DMD / Green Display Cover
||| Invisiglass
||| Shaker Motor
||| White Silicon Rubber
||| Blue mettalic flipper buttons
||| Blue mettalic flipper bat
||| Purple mettalic Starpost
||| Mini post green neon
||| Custom Instructions Cards
***Chrome***
||| Chrome Sides mirror
||| Chrome Coindoor
||| Chrome Side rails loly pop
||| Chrome Lockbar
||| Chrome Hinge's
||| Chrome Leg's
||| Chrome Shooter ball
||| Chrome T-molding on backbox
||| Chrome Trim Rear Glass
***MOD's***
||| Plastic Protector Green Neon
||| Acrylic Design Speaker
||| Speaker Light LED Kit
||| Ghost Trap LED
||| Proton Pack LED
||| Ecto-1A Car LED
||| Ecto Goggles LED
----------
Click for full size
----------

This is a stunner. I'm not a big chrome guy, but it looks great here. Good work.

#13032 7 years ago

One of those very well could have been my game. Hype. Hype. Hype.

#13039 7 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

I noticed at the 4:30 mark, I saw a single coin slot. So I guess these are for the overseas market that are currently on the line. Sooo excited to finally see them moving along the line!

Do we know how many LEs were going overseas? I know there are 500 total, but how many are domestic and how many are international?

#13116 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I thought production capacity was close to 50 a day? There are only 500 LE's total.

55 is what Stern has stated previously, but I don't know that they're staffed up enough to pull that off right now. Also, GB LE isn't the only game on the line. Other games are sprinkled in there as well.

#13121 7 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

There was a time you could order your own special number limited edition, so that would through the numbers out of whack too.

You could do that with GB, yeah. I don't know if it affects build order, ship order, or both. It might not have any impact.

#13132 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

SPOILER ALERT in another thread someone said there is a mode where you drive the ecto 1 by hitting the ramps sounds pretty sweet

That's "We Got One!"

#13142 7 years ago

Now that it's getting real close, I'm hoping that those magna slings are coded up a bit more. I'm but worried about them too much, but they're really the only thing that is a question mark for me at this point. I've talked with people who have played with them and have been assured that they're great, but I'm just dying to get personal hands on with them.

#13144 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Go pro and don't look back.

No way. I want something different, I just hope that it's the good kind of different. I believe that it will be in the end.

#13163 7 years ago

Gary likes to please as many people as possible, but he definitely has a pecking order in place. He caters to the following in this order:

1. The operator
2. The distributor
3. The home collector

Gary doesn't make all the decisions though. But Gary himself, he is an operator first type of guy.

#13185 7 years ago

I don't think that they should randomize the modes. The ladder stuff is cool. It's pretty neat how it rolls automatically from We Got One to the Sedgewick Hotel into He Slimed Me and so on. You still get a choice of which ladder to jump into.

#13230 7 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Whats the latest thinking on how the negative reinforcement game works? someone said pick star or bacon but that doesn't seem reliable to me, is it just random?

It's random. It has always been random, it was just a coincidence that the bacon/star worked out on stream so consistently.

#13282 7 years ago

I think it's cool that international orders go out first. They get screwed on pricing, so at least they get SOMETHING back...

I'm getting beyond antsy for the call that my LE is on its way. I'd say about 90% of my day is spent thinking about GB. It's not healthy. Come on Stern, gimme what I need.

#13330 7 years ago

I'd be more likely to buy some accessories if I had my machine...

#13413 7 years ago

Maybe I have multiball fatigue, but I'm fine having a game with multiball being a secondary objective rather than the primary. I'm not sure that I want it to be much of an easy goal to get multiball. My wife and kids would probably disagree, but whatever.

#13466 7 years ago

Looks way too blocky and chunky with those animations.

#13469 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

If GB comes out on pinball arcade this year, will it only cover the code to that point? Or just the initial release code? Or will they update the code over time? Or will Stern just freeze the code forever?

I'm assuming that you'll get a table update. They push updates to individual tables now, so I think they'll just keep doing that.

#13484 7 years ago

I don't like having a mindless multiball. When they have those, they tend to nerf the scoring on them to keep things balanced. It just ends up making for longer games, but not exciting ones. You really used to have to work for locks and multiball. I miss having multiball be a real reward for skillful play.

#13512 7 years ago

Honestly, if you have any doubts about a machine, you should DEFINITELY not be on a preorder list. The only reason I am on the preorder list for GB is because I wanted an LE. It's been my most wanted theme for at least 10 years, so I was prepared to go all out. It's the only game I really felt the need to preorder. But generally, preordering isn't a good idea unless you want to score an LE and basically have to get in before they get sold out.

#13514 7 years ago

Sexism and overblown statements in one post. Good work.

#13517 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

just to let you know, audit n° 36 for the storage facility MB is at 71%

Sounds plenty achievable, but still something that takes deliberate work.

#13520 7 years ago

It's not Flight 2000, that's for sure.

#13529 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I got a question, should the pops dump the ball SDTM if it exits from the "Slimer side" of the pop bumpers? Seems really cheap, but that is what is does to me very often and I also see it in videos alot. Why not have a one way gate there so the balls don't drop SDTM?

It heads for the middle a lot. You have to nudge as soon as it comes out to get it moving one way or another, but leaving it to roll, it often goes SDTM.

#13563 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

These people don't realize how childish it makes them look

I'm not defending herd mentality, but it's not really worse than loner troll mentality. I mean, dude, you have literally NOTHING of value to contribute to so many threads that you pop into and just exist to irritate the conversation. You repeat the same tired old stuff over and over, insult people who eventually get upset about it, and then act like you're surprised when people get tired of your act.

#13566 7 years ago

Meh, not worth it. You can't argue with someone like this. And I'm hardly the only person around here that has this guy pegged as a troll.

#13569 7 years ago

Ignoring that, let's get back to Ghostbusters.

Does anybody know the difference (if any) between the size of the pro's right ramp shot and the LE/premium's right ramp? How dramatic of a difference is that going to be?

I don't have an issue with the pro's right ramp, but I know that's been fairly polarizing. Not enough people have been able to play the LE and the pro to say how much of a difference is on that shot, if any.

#13572 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

On the Pro ramp you get shots that don't quite reach the rollovers that would be "made" shots on the LE.

The newest code counts this as a made shot now. It is tough to get the full value on the rollovers though, that's definitely true. But that functionality will be missed on the LE/premium. I think when you hit it super clean and watch it go all the way up, it's a great feeling.

#13580 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Has anyone heard if any of the changes on the pro model such as those to the outlanes and center captive ball bracket are being carried over to the premium / LE?

I haven't heard, but the later games in the first run of the pros had fixes that would only be logical to carry forward to all runs. For what it's worth, I didn't see a single ball jump a guide in the German Pinball Open stream that had the LE.

#13600 7 years ago

That shooter rod is terrible. Such a bummer.

#13655 7 years ago

I've been contacted to settle up my balance on my LE as well. No rush from the distributor, but a heads up to get payment in soon. Looks like we're in that 10-14 day window now.

#13657 7 years ago
Quoted from BenLogan:

Looking forward to hearing about your GB home play experience on your podcast. Loved the GB road trip episode, which I listened to en route to Pinagogo.

Thanks, man. I'm really excited to go in depth about it on the show. I plan on doing a "things I like, things I don't like" style of overview.

#13697 7 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Weird, 'cause it's not yet mid June and we've already seen tons of them in assembly.

I'll add fuel to the fire. I got my email from my distributor yesterday and his guess was 10-14 days to shipping. I think the real answer is any day now to 3 weeks depending on where your machine falls in the production queue.

#13778 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

just got back from playing some more GB, here's how i faired and I'm a pretty good player
$45 in total plays
Best score 745M
5 multiballs (storage facility)
1 mass hysteria MB
maybe started 4 modes. All the same
Ones
Huge drains all the time , short ball times
Right ramp is huge disappointment and wish I didn't need to hit it sometimes
it's a good game but the Pro version really lacks vs the LE model , which JT has said is the real version and much better then the Pro because Stern instructed him to strip the pro to retain same profit margin at a lower product cost. He also said the Pro version doesn't play how he intended and would have rather it not be sold , but Stern makes that decision - this was all said to my friend at the German pinball event .

Please be hyperbole. There's no way anybody can drop $45 into a Ghostbusters and only start 4 modes. My 3 year old would have a higher mode start rate that that. Easily.

I don't buy the Trudeau "quote" either. By every other account he's proud of the pro and very happy with it.

I'm almost jealous of the pro's right ramp functionality. Cleaner shots awarding better is a fantastic idea. I wish that could be on the LE somehow.

#13791 7 years ago

GoT pro is the better version. Tron, Metallica, and Star Trek all offer little to no compromise on the pro model. Sometimes premium is simply for more style and bling, but little substance.

I'm getting an LE, but a pro wouldn't be disappointing at all.

#13844 7 years ago

I never thought that I would miss the days when we just argued over Ghostbusters 2.

#13901 7 years ago

I like the latch system more than the old lockdown bar, but I would get why you might not like the new one. For me the, the latches are more stable and don't ever jam on the coin door.

Now playfield pegs? They're the worst and there's no way anybody can argue differently.

#13925 7 years ago

When I get up to play on the stream, I'll somehow give Pinside a little nod. You'll know what it is when you see it.

#13927 7 years ago

Nod canceled due to poor attitude.

#13933 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Were all games eligible? If so, that's a joke.

Of course. If it's like other shows, and I'm not sure so I hope an attendee chimes in, numbers are on the machines and people can vote for their favorite. Otherwise, show organizers choose. I don't know of any other determining methods.

#13943 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hmmm, well I would've went with the Iron Maiden (one of a kind TRS retheme, including art, toys, sounds and dots)...then many of the beautifully customized games, then maybe TBL (which was pretty damn fun), then some rare stuff. Picking GB because it's new is pretty weak.

Nobody was lining up to give The Avengers any awards when it was new...

#14071 7 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Video posted to Stern's Facebook page. 20 mins of my life I will never get back...however, they did show GBLE cabinets stacked and ready to start down the line. My guess is they will start rolling next week.

It was like 90% KISS. Who is waiting on KISS? I mean, really?

PUT MY PRIORITIES FIRST, STERN.

#14078 7 years ago

Ugh, I got the "7-10" days estimate over a week ago. I have an IFPA tournament scheduled for the 25th and need the LE. It's starting to look like I'm going to need to cancel or push that event back, which is going to be a massive hassle at this point.

#14110 7 years ago

The real reason is because that's Zach McCarthy and he's a legit good pinball player. Very good.

#14379 7 years ago

The flipper gap conversation is so stupid. It's such a small difference. It's noticeable, but if you're center draining all the time, be honest, how much of that is really due to that tiny difference?

Pins used to commonly vary in regards to flipper length, spacing, shape, and placement at the bottom. Guess what? It was ok. It made the games different in more ways. Chill.

Buy longer flippers, whatever. Just don't be talking about your scores if you do.

#14380 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Here's a pic from the LE that was at SFGE. This was opened on Thursday. I'm in on a pro but don't love seeing and hearing about the current playfield issues.

This is a real issue. Lots of this coming out of the Stern factory right now and people have right to be pissed.

#14395 7 years ago

I wish the inserts with the ghost caught numbers didn't have what they qualified on them. Reason being is that the art makes the rules around what caught numbers of ghosts light somewhat fixed. You will always have to have 20 caught light Tobin's Spirit guide, for example. You can't move that to 50 or 60, or whatever. I wish they just had 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 and code updates could shuffle those things around. 20 is pretty low of a number for Tobin's Spirit Guide. It's a big reward. Having it just read a number could also allow for more customization in adjustments. Not a big deal, but they probably could have been a little more forward thinking on that one.

#14405 7 years ago

If you want to see bad ghosting, go look at F-14 or The Getaway. For some reason those two games almost always have lots of ghosted inserts.

#14431 7 years ago

Nothing "meh" about the Ecto Goggles. A very nice addition, and gives some "modernity" to a game that still has a DMD.

They're very cool bling, but you rarely pay attention to them during play.

#14434 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I noticed theres 2 lights in the playfield in front of the magna slings. Anybody know what there for?

Yes. When they're lit, the magna slings are going to do something funky rather than just a typical sling pulse. You might get a double or triple pulse.

#14445 7 years ago

John Trudeau said at Pinball Showdown that LEs are shipping now, but I don't know if he meant now now or now-ish.

#14447 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

And just to reiterate a point that may have been lost, I'd be happy with either pin. The Premium features on the LE playfield certainly seem worth the upgrade cost from a pro. I am selling a couple games to get the pro and not sure the additional $1500 is worth it to me. I met several LE/premium buyers at SFGE and am stoked about how stunning of a game they are getting.

I'm getting an LE and I feel like the upgrades are overpriced. I recognize that I'm overpaying for the extras, but it's Ghostbusters, so I don't care. It's not a rip off, but it's not the easiest upgrade to justify from a pure cost evaluation.

That's what's so great though. The pro is a big discount and you don't have to concede much. But if you're a huge fan, the extras are really nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 103.00
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
365 posts in this topic match your search for posts by jar155. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jar155.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=jar155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.