IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider embryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8646 8 years ago

I have an LE on order. I've read concerns about the magnetic slings. I would hope Stern would have this sorted well before production run. Would it not be similar to the action found on a pin2000 swep1 found near the centre of the playfield?

#8708 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

So those damn foreigners can deal with the first-run problems. Make America Great Again.

We can take whatever you throw at us.

2 weeks later
#9620 8 years ago

Just interested to know with all this magnetic sling concerns with playfield wear. How many games do you think these Shadow, LAH, AF or any other sited/container pins would have had in their life to cause such playfield wear etc? Now I don't think I have that much time left on this planet to rack up that many plays on 'my home use only'' to get close to worry about playfield wear caused by magnets.

If I need to be concerned, then maybe I better sell my sea side home before global warming washes it away. The bloody real estate agent should have warned me about this I guess.

Less scare mongering and more patience and lets see what gives.

#9678 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Shadow, Golden Eye and such are not the same system. When you have a ball in the exact same spot every time, going the exact same direction and running constantly in the same spot, it's going to drag the shit out of the ball and gouge the playfield. Magnetic slings will work similar to the magnetic flippers on TZ. How often have you have seen wear on a mini TZ field? Never. I've never seen it, and have been restoring playfields for 10 years. Ware will not be an issue.

Thank you, my same sentiments. Hope this puts to bed the concerns for at least until a few hundred games have been played an something shows up

#10248 8 years ago

I think I just lost a good chunk of my life reading the same pro's and con's all of which are pure speculation. Does anyone know if the pf for all three models have the same cut outs where the slings are. If they are, maybe if the mag slings are a total disaster, stern could do a LE fix in which the magnets can be replaced with standard sling kickers and coils. If so another scenario could be an option for prem/Le owners to switch off the mag option and install standard slings.

I know wrestle guys got a mod for the ring recently, so stern may be up to offering such a mod/recall to keep some people happy???

#10790 8 years ago

I thought buying a pinball was to have fun in your own home and not to make money. The safest investment guys with pinballs is play location games as much as you want and don't buy. How many have over the top home theatre systems. Simple equation would be total cost of system plus movie purchase divided by movies played and I bet your home movie ticket will be way more than what it would have cost you in the cinemas. But wait for it, your home ticket price is probably for watching a long gone movie like lotr.

I'm buying GB for the thrill of NIB unboxing (insert value here), the thrill of being the first to play it (insert value here), the buzz of having a pinball at home (yep that's worth something) and I can go on. Then add the price of games played had you paid on location.

You don't lose on a pinball purchase unless you buy to sell and do not factor in any personal gratification in owner a game.

#10865 8 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

HEY JARED!!!
If you are reading this, tell Stern to put in a Harold Ramis memorial mode.
He was brilliant, responsible for all this, and he was from Illinois!
Lock the ball under the playfield, make the game go black, and put his image on the DMD with a Thank You!
They can do it in the next code update.

Why put something like this in gameplay. Even easier and effective if it was during attract mode.

#11118 8 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

New video for you all. I beat my Grand Champion score (>1 billion) and manage to get onto a few of the later modes such as completing 'spook central' and starting 'gozer the gozerian'. Also getting to 'he slimed me', a few good super jackpots and mass hysteria multiball Video is 17 minutes long roughly for 1 game
» YouTube video

Great game you had there. Thanks for sharing

#11319 7 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

The feature map says backglass the flyer says translite. I wonder which "subject to change" is wrong.
Screen_Shot_2016-04-27_at_1.39.30_PM_(resized).pngScreen_Shot_2016-04-27_at_1.40.33_PM_(resized).png

I'll put my money on backglass. How silly thinking this is the first translite LE from the scare mongers. If it is I'll mention my bad. Still haven't heard any responses from those bagging no decent long game play videos once the grand champion one came out to say things like nice modes, dots etc. They like to bag but then move on to the next complaint once the last has been covered.

#11536 7 years ago

Don't own a stern but isn't there under audits stats on drains like x amount down the left etc and then it would be a simple matter of balls played to see how of a drain monster the outlanes are. Also what a the average game time is.

1 week later
#12360 7 years ago

Played a pro yesterday in the land of OZ. Was intrigued to see the dymo label seen on the game used at the shows and dead flip. Looks like it has made it all the way to Australia.

#12657 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

I am not concerned with the ball hitting slimmer at warp-speed!.What I don't like is the clunky movement of him hitting the captive ball metal and the buildings.
Stern uses computer programs to build these things.Looks like they added Slimer after the build.If they intergrated him with the orginal
design of the LE and Prem.The computer program could of moved or adjusted things for a smooth moving Slimer.
I have OCD.So if this is not fixed.Then I go Pro and not wig out.lol

nothing a dremmel or heavy duty angle grinder can't fix lol

2 weeks later
#13351 7 years ago

can you visually see the difference or just via a photo. I know some of my bg look great but photograph poorly

#13369 7 years ago

the more I read about the pro and I have played it, is this game seems to be more designed for the premium configuration. Too brutal re slings (maybe magna's is the solution), slimer dangerous (maybe wait until it moves to the right before hitting it ala premium), right ramp difficult and unrewarding (again premium maybe a solution) etc etc.

Maybe down grading/removing some premium functions may make the pro a little too brutal and frustrating???

Consider the frustrating points of the pro and look if there's any design differences to these in the premium. Would be interested to hear of a common complaint for the two. First to mind is the book stacking wire form

#13429 7 years ago

yep after seeing those two games I can see what everyone is disliking about the game. It looked like absolute boredom. I'm expecting dozens of LE's on the market mid June. For me, I'm keeping mine and will put up with the torture. Now back to reality, they were awesome games and would make all the dud games worth the trouble. Now lets see how many LE and premiums flood the market. Me thinks might be hearing crickets in all honesty?????

1 week later
#14116 7 years ago

looking at this latest video I can see those that have surmised all these cons and design flaws are correct. This poor young guy looked distressed, and those short ball times.....wow. How many ball saves were there.....one, and lucky he at least got a consolation multiball otherwise I think he was going to end his life.

And the best comment to justify and not admit that this could be a good title is, "well you know this kid is a good player",......um so???

oh are we saying you "gotta play better" then???

1 week later
#14739 7 years ago

What a load of crap I've been reading about modes and how poorly the game alerts a player on what to do as gb is the ONLY game like this. I'm not a stern fan and know little about their game rules. I played a comp on Wednesday and was being beaten 400M to about 10M on wrestlemania with only my last ball to play. I played just as long a ball time as my opponent, people were laughing seeing him scoring 100M for a shot. What shot was that? During my last ball he said start tag team and hit the top saucer. Bang 100M a pop, I lost by 50M.

And what new player or any player know you need to drop the targets to light up a mode on the walking dead. I completed dozens of ramp shots for nothing. Oh and what is the 'x' shot? After watching a tutorial a dozen times I accidently saw a lit inlane with an 'x'. I was using those thinking I might be getting bonus multipliers. Where is this mentioned on the game or on the dmd?

Only bagging gb people need to reply with such proof thanks

#14755 7 years ago

My beef is not whether gb is good or not its people trying to downgrade and instil doubt to those who have bought the game. Why I dunno?? The code is terrible because novice players don't know what to do. I hate TWD and ACDC and yet most rave about them. I know there's a good chance my impressions are incorrect because I do not know the rules. So gb is rubbish because it has poor code, no one knows what to do, airballs etc and TWD has been out for how long?, airballs off the ramps for how long, novice players who don't know the rules love it?? Lets keep things in perspective a little.

#14757 7 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

Hi embryon
I totally agree with a lot of stern games there is far to much focus on score being the prime objective and coupled with a lot of unbalanced scoring mechanisms. I'm all for really high score rewards in say actual wizard modes which is a reward for all the work you put into getting so far in the game. I also don't have an issue with scoring that rewards risk I.e stacking multiple modes or shots before cashing in as again this is a tatical option that brings some depth to the game. However with so many Stern games it seems that high score tactics are encouraged over actual progression through a game. I think the reason is that stern games can tend to be a bit of mess in terms of clear defined goals and objectives. Not all mind you Spider-Man and LOTR are two examples that spring to mind were the player has clear goals outlined I.e complete battles in SM or collect characters in LOTR.
With ghost busters the multiball system is a bit of mess. Storage facility works much better based off locks being activated on number of ghost collected. as hey now you have 20 ghost better lock them away etc. at a certain capacity you have a breech in the Storeage facility and presto got rush to collect them back, ties into the moving is intuitive and works. The Storeage facility multiball as it works off the Newton balls should be an additional multiball that is a Ghost bonanza round or something. Light the Storeage facility to activate a multiball where all ghost shots are relit for a super ghost hunting mode. However the main issue as you raised is that STERN left the words LIGHT or LOCK off the playfield. Had the Newton balls insert said Light Storeage and the Ramp instert Lock Storeage it would have been more intuitive for players. Also they need to let players know that Storeage was only lit off two balls not one. A much better way would of being to having a single Newton ball activating Storeage facility. Light lock by hitting ball collect lock by hitting ramp before the ball returns. For the additional stroeage multiballs the time between the ball returning could be reduced increasing the difficulty. However the designer puts in four Newton balls and now they have to come up with a complex non intuitive lock mechanism that only works when two balls are lock, why two it makes no bloody sense if you going to do this make it bloody three at least that at least corresponds to the number of balls you need to lock for multiball!!
Also I'm so over STERNS idea of what a mode is. Light mode complete set number of shots all spread across the playfield. Start new mode, same as before expect now there are a couple of additional shots to complete rinse and repeat. There are only a couple of modes in GB that actually feel like they are connected to your play. We got one hitting a left playfield shot moves to perform a left hand turn then right shot to perform right hand turn, is well intergrated. As is He slimed me, hit lit shots to target onto slimmer then hit the slimmer bash toy to complete. These modes work well and could in fact be much longer. Many of the other modes are throw away and just not connected well to the dmd or story progression. However tying back to your orginal points I think the issue with modes in GB is there is not enough time taken to explain the mode to the player before it begins. The animation and text is short and by the time the player realise the ball is stopped and a mode is beging and they need to pay attention the ball is back in the playfield. Also having th next mode available straight after one is completed is again not intuitive. If slimmer is your mode activator then this should be the path every time. Expect hey instead of making him super hard to activate. Why not have a standup that says slimmer not ghost and instead of having to hit this standup 5 times to bring slimmer down why not once!!! Once again they made the game complicated and difficult but then compensated by making it possible to by pass the whole procedure by using a skill shot and completing modes. Just have a clear path to activating modes and stick with it.
I think maybe to much leeway is given to the designers at STERN because hey the are some of the greatest layout artists of all time and I belive this to be true. However it would seem to me the programmers are being bought in way to late in the development process and then have too try put rules together for a playfield that does not make sense and for which all the art work and inserts have already been finalised and in production. This is why you get things like no one knowing that the drop targets are for activating modes in walking dead, because guys like Lyman are coming in and having to put rules on top of exisiting play fields rather then working from the ground up. If they where involved earlier, it would be identified that the drops for modes activation is the best use of the geometry and inserts or art could be designed to indicate this. I maybe totally wrong on the above and maybe the designer and programmes do work really closely through out the process in which case I have no explanation for why shit is so overly complicated.
Sorry if I'm ranting on but I really agree the issue is not just related to GB it is permating throughout modern pinball design. This is the reason that everyone still gravitates toward the older Bally/Willian's and the like. It's not nostalgia it's because those games work, make sense and are often more enjoyable and intuitive to play.

Final comment so true. I do not understand any late sterns except for maybe IM and MET. But remember gb code is pretty much the release code and not final I guess.

#14766 7 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I still can't believe they ship games with incomplete code and people constantly defend them for it. It was definitely a factor for me when I canceled my order. I know I know. Cue someone chiming in about how this is how it is for all games. That's a terrible excuse. I'm not sure how some people got to the point where they're like "I'm going to spend $5000-$8000 on an incomplete game and hope they finish it later." Meanwhile Stern's other recent games are suffering significant code issues and no one here wants to believe it will happen to GB.
I'm waiting on the sidelines but it seems like the longer I wait, the more reasons I hear to stay away.

You just said its been happening for many titles now and you still ordered it so you could cancel???? Agree coding unacceptable but our options are......10 year wait for jjp stuff....even better put money down on predator or magic girl and watch someone piss it up the wall. I can wait for updates as long as I get the timber box I paid for.

#14784 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

People critique the things they love...movies, video games, sports, pinball. It's normal. These are $5000-8000 GAMES. No one has an obligation to just fall in line and love every single new release unconditionally. Thoughtful opinions and critique are welcome.

Yes but the critique is damning like the game is a total flop, the designer is hopeless, and forget about the code guy, we're doomed. But the pre release of games are only coming off the line. Dunno what cars you guys have, but I'm sure Ford and the like have had recalls and series two is better than the initial release. I know your cars cost little compared to where I am but figure they could be more than $5k. As stated gb has ok coding upon release and yes flaws but its not a boat anchor yet.

#14847 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

Curious, has anyone in on a Premium / LE canceled due to the delay / insert issue?

Nope

#14849 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It sounds like the Australia games will be arriving first. What was the quote? Two more weeks on the boat?

About that, but think New Zealand will get first as boat stops there before Aust

#14914 7 years ago

Why not purchase a remote controlled power point. I have these on my pin2000's. Receiver plugs into power point, game plugs into it and remote to activate receiver.

WIN_20160605_105258_(resized).JPGWIN_20160605_105258_(resized).JPG

#14927 7 years ago

Can this guy really play pinball? Using him as an example of poor design by Stern is drawing a long bow. I think they need to rethink pinball then so guys like Mr Hawkins can play them from his chair. Items for use by the general public need only be designed for those in mind. Special mods would have to be borne by those with specific needs.

#14937 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody else out there just not that impressed with this game? I've played it several times and I mean it's ok but just not feeling it; too much stop and go and the rules are very uninspiring and boring to say the least and the way the right ramp is on the pro is a complete cop out by the design team

Might be worth you taking the trouble to rate and review the game so others can see when considering a purchase. I've done this for several games in the top 100 section

1 week later
#15262 7 years ago

I don't get it why the guys who complain gb is too repetitive re: modes feel that way. They seem to keep repeating the same comments over and over and over on this thread, you'd think their demeanour would lend itself to this game.

3 weeks later
#15746 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Saw a new ghost today......A Cat!
I think I have seen around 6 ghosts, maybe 8? and then Stern Logo, Super Jackpot.
Old Man
Slimer
Purple Ghost
Joker Face Ghost
Cat
There another non descript ghost, I cant think of what to call him.
What ghosts have others seen?

There is the other Scoleri

#15755 7 years ago

What are LE owners doing with the cert of auth? Are you framing it or putting it in a safe place? Would like some ideas if possible. Thanks

#15796 7 years ago

Quick question. Where is the signature of designer found on the playfield. I'm guessing under the apron. Has anyone looked at theirs as I haven't seen a photo of it which is strange?

#15798 7 years ago

Hmmmm can't see one, does anyone have a photo of its location, thanks

#15800 7 years ago

Just found it down the bottom right in blue. Its like playing where's Wally!

#15802 7 years ago

Not a great picture but here it is. Maybe because we're on the other side of the world lol

trudeau_signature_(resized).JPGtrudeau_signature_(resized).JPG

#15845 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Has anyone attempted to adjust slimmer to raise him a bit? I should really look into this to see if it's an easy adjustment to fix him dragging his ass.

Yes easy, loosen grub screw at the top and raise slimer slightly.

#15912 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Is it odd with the flaws that people are trying to work out that GB is the new number one pin? I'm with Rarehero though, just the theme itself executed so well with the art makes this one worth the money.

Not 100% sure of what exactly you mean, but most of the flaws with the game should not effect its score for game rating. I think the quality score maybe the only coefficient that can effect its standing???

#15914 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We're still in the "New pin hype zone", so people are more positive and protective. I've been in there in the past and I understand it. I definitely don't want to take anything away from those who are super excited and having a ton of fun.
What can I say, I'm "old and jaded" as I've done the early adopter NIB thing many times..I've been thru design and QC issues...I've been a code guinea pig many times. Dig back in time and you'll find my glowing reviews and defense of games like Transformers, X-Men and Star Trek...8 months later I hated those f*ckers lol. This is why I'm being extremely skeptical and realistic. I've seen this all before....and I look at my Stern "keeper collection, and it's all Keith or Lyman games.

Ok thumbs up

#15915 7 years ago

My complaint on this game is "mass hysteria". A possible code update on this would be welcome by me. I have lost many a ball not knowing the mode has finished. Maybe lighting could show when the flippers are reversed or not. Otherwise love the game so far after 500 games

#15918 7 years ago

Thanks unaware of this thread

#15920 7 years ago

Because of reversed flippers I think cues are needed otherwise all you do is double flip all day. My main gripe is not realizing I'm down to one ball and the flippers are back to normal and I lose it just before stay puft.....damn

1 week later
#16239 7 years ago

Just a personal experience thing but although I enjoyed the game even while being frustrating, I now love it and have long game times and big scores.

Before I put all my focus in completing the modes and trying to get to wcws mode. The pressure of trying to make the shots made me miss more times than not.

Now I go for the pke skill shot, in particular, playfield multipliers and just shoot the ball around. If a mode starts I just keep flipping as controlled as possible and if I make some or all the required shots to complete a mode, then well and good. I now get multiple storage multiballs and supers and hit 100 ghosts 2/5 games average. I have got to wcws a few times as well. I think its because the pressure is off which aids in the game flow and of course fun factor.

So maybe try and forget about the rules for a while and see how you progress and see if the brutality of the game settles.

My settings are factory except for outlane posts are in.

#16264 7 years ago

I'm not trying to be biased or trying to justify the LE purchase but think the magna slings are great. They seem to respond nicely on my game with standard exchanges between the slings and then throw in a random unexpected move. What I like is that they really make you feel uncomfortable having the ball out of your control as you cannot anticipate what may happen at all. My flipper responses to the ball hitting a sling is like trying to pick up a $100 bill from the road thats connected to fishing line and someone keeps jerking it away from me each time I get close. Really can frustrate you and put you off your game. I like that.

#16392 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Ghostbusters New Game Code V1.12 just posted!!!!!

I hope you enjoyed this. Been hacking any sites lately or developing viruses? Goodluck if so

#16411 7 years ago

I noticed on the LE back glass there's Stern 30 years decal on it. Are people removing this or do you think it is best to leave it for the finicky next owner market?

2 months later
#17374 7 years ago

RFM doesn't require you to successfully complete a mode but if you do, it rewards you with a saucer light that gets you closer to the end wizard mode 'attack mars'. So in effect, you could play all the modes over and over and never get to the wizard mode.

Maybe GB could have a really special mb wizard mode only if you make all shots in all the modes???

#17381 7 years ago

for those who wanted the game to play easier well you can expect scores like this, but my previous 5B seems more gratifying so I'm unsure whether to change settings to replicate the old rules more. By the way I've never experienced a 1 billion point skill shot before let alone doing it twice.

WIN_20161014_191511 (resized).JPGWIN_20161014_191511 (resized).JPG

#17385 7 years ago

I didn't let timers time out on purpose. I only completed 2 of 3 ladders, did not play library ladder. I did have midnight madness occur in this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 103.00
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider embryon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=embryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.