IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

Early 2016? I'd hope they really think this one through. Its the Mt. Everest of licenses.

Really? I mean, I liked the movies too, but I think people are overstating the theme here. It's a classic, but hardly some pinnacle of incredible ideas. And I definitely wouldn't call the second film a classic at all.

I think there are a lot of fans, and it's got a bit of a timeless aspect to it, a recognizable logo and theme song, all that stuff.

I'm just tired of the "I'm gonna buy it day one just on the mention of the name!" mentality. And Stern doesn't exactly have a sterling track record going right now of instant hits. Game of Thrones is going over like a wet fart right now, and people freaking love that show.

It's fun to speculate, knock yourselves out. But maybe calm down how you hype yourself up, because you're just going to disappoint yourself when the real game doesn't look like what you dreamed up in your head.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from Kcbbq13:

Not sure how Hot Dog the pin would do, but great F***ing movie!

They practically made it already!

Hot DogginHot Doggin

#158 8 years ago

This thread is funny to me, only because people are already so passionate and worked up, and it feels like they've already moved on to the next pin from Stern, that isn't even announced, and might not even be real. (I happen to think it probably is based on what I've heard, but still.)

To me it's less about Ghostbusters, and more about how disappointing people are finding the GOT announcement, so they're already looking past it. That's Pinside though!

I was a kid when Ghostbusters came out. 7 or 8 probably. I had the tshirt, I loved the film, and I watched the Real Ghostbusters Cartoon. I love campy horror pins. It's a good concept.

I'm just not at all convinced that Stern will do it justice. They've dropped the ball so much lately. Honestly they haven't done a great pin IMHO since Metallica. I had a Star Trek, and maybe if I had bought it later instead of early when the code was lame I would have liked it better. But I was utterly tired of it by the time the new code came out, and it didn't fix the fundamental problems anyways.

Mustang and WWE were terrible packages for me. Mustang played okay, but didn't grab me. Can't stand Kiss, and I thought it was bare looking. Still have to play it, but I'd never get one. GOT might be fun, but man, the art is so bad I can't imagine spending real money to actually own it.

Stern is feeling less and less like a company keeping the pinball torch alive, and more and more like the company that's just trying to keep the line running, and isn't willing to back their people in doing things right. I think everyone at Stern is talented, smart, and passionate about pinball. But it's hard to see it lately.

Hey, maybe Zombie Yeti does the art and it's awesome, and the toys are cool, and it's a hit. Or maybe the license cuts the balls off, it's full of bad sound alike actors, and that damn theme song plays all the time.

Or maybe they don't even make it! Little early to be too into it for me.

#159 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Ghostbusters 2 was pretty bad. But guess what? So was Aliens.
Wait. No, Aliens was awesome. I always get those two mixed up.

Good thing I kept reading before giving into my downvote reflex!

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Yes, because Stern had been known for their awesome inventive backglass creativity lately. Not something lame like pulling out strategically placed flashers and replacing the whole thing with a florescent bulb.

Hey, they pulled the bulb and replaced them with a couple LEDs on the corners of a PCB, keep up!

#201 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

But their mission from management seems to be more "give me a constant, predictable supply of games to manufacture" and not "evolve pinball" or "design games people are passionate about".

No seems about it, that's it, dead on. Stern is all about the cell in the spreadsheet, nothing else comes close to that.

Hey, commercial company trying to make money, that's fine. But man, they flip us the bird every chance they get. Collectors don't count for shit to them, it's obvious. Reading George Gomez's comments to that guy in the Avengers code thread is just more evidence, man that pissed me off this morning. Your game has bugs, that have existed for years, and you're just gonna tell someone to deal with it because it's your game? Okay. The Thor flasher bug has been fixed for ages, no one can bother to test it and release a code fix? Okay. They don't make money releasing a fix for an old game, so they don't care. Got your cash already, thanks suckers.

It's all about the management. I don't put this on Ritchie, or Lyman, or Lonnie, or anyone. Even the programmers or designers who aren't my favorite as far as their styles etc are all really passionate pinball fans. But Stern the company? Hardly. Bottom line, pump and squeeze. This move the new factory just means the pressure is on to do that more and more. I wonder how we're going to look back on that move.

You guys have fun speculating about Ghostbusters. I hope they make it for you, and it's awesome. Me? Not gonna hold my breath, I'm done with expecting things from Stern, it's just a recipe for being let down. If they make a great game that I want I'll just wait until someone buys it and gets tired of it and sells it to me HUO. First buyers of Stern games are gamblers, no thanks, been there done that, never again.

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The problem is the games use to come down in price since now it is a used game. NIB owners lost a bit of money for the pleasure for being the first.
Now everyone thinks it is an investment even if the title sucks. I always wondered why people think because they owned a game for a few months it is worth more.

If they're selling it for more than NIB I have a simple solution, I don't buy it. I don't need any pinball. I have lots of good games already, and there are lots of great games I haven't owned out there still. I don't really care about some new hotness. I don't need to own the latest game, especially when it's from Stern, and buying brand new means you get a shitty half-baked product. For their prices they can keep that.

I see people say "I'm never buying NIB again! Unless it's ... MY DREAM THEME". I just laugh at that. It's like an alcoholic who says "it's only a couple drinks a day, I have it under control". I don't care what the theme is. Keep your half built shit. I know I can buy it used later from someone who can't help but buy it. Go for it guys, who am I to tell you not to? You're my suppliers if I ever want a game later!

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Is it just me and my crazy imagination, but did anyone else get the feeling that Stern is possibly releasing pins that will comepete against their other competitor titles? I mean, a possibly Ghostbusters to compete against Spookys AMH, with GOT competing against JJs hobbit?

AMH?? No.

But we all expected GOT to try and one up Hobbit, with the dragon-focused fantasy themes. I think that's one reason people were so disappointed in the presentation.

1 month later
#252 8 years ago

I don't get the hate for the female cast. What's the problem? It's not like they're going to use the old cast. Obviously a new film will require new actors. And they're women? So ... ?

#256 8 years ago

Why is an all woman cast a gimmick, but an all male cast isn't?

Ghostbusters is about a group of people who aren't even sure they really believe getting sucked in way over their heads.

And of course saving the day.

They're Everyman characters. Not superspy icons like James Bond.

Anyways, word is the game is old movie. So who cares.

#264 8 years ago

It's a stupid cash in remake of an old movie franchise. I can't even work up any emotion over it one way or the other. If it's good and funny I'll watch it at home probably. There hasn't even been a trailer yet AFAIK, so just seems waaaaay to early to get worked up over it.

I'd feel just as ambivalent over an all male remake. Another remake. Yay.

Companies are just less and less risk averse now. Stick with the tried and true, cash in as best and fast as you can, and keep moving. It's no different than pinball being all licensed titles now. Is what it is.

There are worse movies to reboot than Ghostbusters. Just like Stern was smart to bring back Kiss. I can respect both things, even if I don't really care for either move. But I dislike Kiss, and I was a Ghostbusters fan, so I guess there's at least a chance I win on this one.

#269 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm curious, Aurich. Would you think Hi-Res dots, ala MMR, and cut scenes would work for Ghostbusters? Or would that ruin the whole aesthetic, in your opinion? Trying to see if we could get the best of both worlds.

Well if you're going to do movie scenes just go hi rez.

I'm just not really sold on movie clips being awesome replacements for proper hand animation.

Hobbit is doing a pretty nice job, easily the best example out so far. Some of it works pretty well too, JP did a great job. Smaug flying up and spinning the gold out into the extra ball (I think) was great.

But for instance, Bilbo walking around reading the contract in his house? Zzzzz.

I look at a game like Metallica, which has IMHO the best dots ever done on a game, and I'd take them over movie clips. And the beauty of that is they're short. Frying Sparky is the longest clip I can think of. Punchy, fast, to the point.

Now I have a ColorDMD, I'm not watching them in red. Give me colored animation, dots or otherwise, and I'm gonna be stoked. Doesn't mean movie clips can't work, I just think they're not a slam dunk.

I dunno, it's a case by case basis. I think of Ghostbusters and there's obviously some good stuff. But it doesn't strike me as enough for a whole pin. I could be wrong! Hell, I'm not at all convinced it's going to have an LCD screen. Gonna just wait and see. Easy enough to judge without even seeing things, but not particularly fair or useful.

#291 8 years ago

My guess is that Ghostbusters is going to be done by the Star Trek / WWE team.

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

If not made on the old cast which we know it will be hard to do

Evidently it wasn't actually hard to do.

2 weeks later
#307 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It's definitely cheaper than pins.

Not by much though!

2 weeks later
#315 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

So, Stern is making Ghostbusters then? i thought it was just a rumor.

Everything is a rumor until they announce it. Could always be canned before it comes out.

#325 8 years ago

Trudeau got saddled with some shit themes after coming to work at Stern (Mustang and WWE), so hopefully with an actual good license he can shine.

I'm more interested in who's doing the code. It's not Lyman. I presume it's not Dwight Sullivan since he's finishing GOT. So Tanio/Lonnie/Waison, solo or as a team?

#334 8 years ago

It's definitely Trudeau, that's confirmed. He's a designer who tries different things. I respect that, but I don't always dig what he comes up with. Because he's not predictable though there's no reason to judge before you see it.

I do not believe you will see Lyman on this title. Other than that I couldn't say. Stern shipped GoT with real code, will they continue that trend?

#343 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Will the licence allow it any other way (than off the reboot)?

Yes, original film.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Wont this pin be same as WWE ? Pro would have current cast and LE would have the "Legends" aka original cast.

No. Wouldn't make any sense anyways. New movie, new plot, new characters. Way too much work.

#359 8 years ago

The art leaked. If you were at Expo you might have seen it, it was never on Pinside to my knowledge. Just like if you were in the right place at the right time you might have seen Alien art that hasn't been made public. Pays to hit the big shows!

Other than that I couldn't speak to it.

#366 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Who'll be designing and coding the pin?

Trudeau game. Guessing Waison/Lonnie/Tanio, but I don't know.

It's a cool theme, and will have good art. I'm sure it will be well received. Personally any game that doesn't have Lyman on code from Stern is one that I will take a nice long wait and see attitude with. Been burned before, don't intend to be again. Don't care what the theme is. Art is important. Playfield and music and sounds are big. But code makes a game a keeper or not.

That's just me though. Kiss is selling well with unfinished code, so I guess plenty of people just don't care.

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

But I'll likely buy Ghostbusters as soon as it's dropped because, well, Ghostbusters.

Hey, your money.

If I want to buy a cool game just because it has an awesome theme and art I'll pick up another 1980 era Bally, spend way less, and know that the basic code is intentional and fun.

I'd like to buy another Stern game, still waiting for one I like to come out. Last one I bought was Star Trek, and that ended up being a mistake (I know some people love it, code never worked out for me), so for me at least they haven't done a compelling game since Metallica.

This whole buy it and see how it turns out thing? Pass. No matter what theme. If GOT is the start of shipping games way more finished then great, that will be a big help. But talk is cheap, gotta see actions.

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Im with you....bought STLE on release and sold it before decent code. Was almost going to buy TWDLE on release, bailed, and waited until recently to get a Premium. Has only reinforced my decision to wait for NIB premiums, or used LE's. Once ive played it some more and once code is good. Later run Premiums also benefit from months of field testing.
Will be the same for Ghostbusters. Definitely sit it out and see - especially with Trudeau/Unknown design/code. Theme and art alone is not enough on this for me. There's only a handful of themes that i would buy on release LE NIB.

I didn't sell Star Trek until the latest code. Which is starting to look pretty final frankly. Wasn't feeling it. And that's the gamble. Will the "base" code at shipping turn into something more magical. Lyman isn't the only programmer in the world who can do that. But sometimes it feels like it.

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

How's the code on Aliens coming along, anyhow?
; P

I really like the programmer, Brian and I get along. He's a sharp guy. But I'm not the programmer, so honestly it's not my role to speak to.

I love that people are stepping up to support Alien and getting in early. Don't get me wrong. But you'll never see me encouraging it or asking people to do it. Not because I don't have faith or anything, but it's just simply not my style, and I'd feel like a hypocrite saying to people to do it for this one game because I'm involved.

Obviously I want the game to sell well, my payment is in royalties. By all means, buy it! But I'm totally good with the idea of earning support, and if you want to wait to see it first then by all means do so. I haven't even been asking about the LE sales, I have no clue what % are sold already. I don't need to know. My sense is they're doing well and will sell out once we can show things. If you really want one then you might want to pay attention at the very least. But that's up to you to decide.

#410 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'm hoping the LE is an Ecto-1 LE and they do something cool with the cab, like sirens and lightbar on top as a feature.

I'm sure a topper like that will exist. For $500 aftermarket. (I'd add a laughing smiley but I'm serious.)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.