IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #16991 Photos of the Bally ribbed flippers installed on GB Posted by sparechange1974 (7 years ago)

Post #17069 Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by MNPinner (7 years ago)

Post #17076 More Custom Instruction Cards for GB Posted by Phbooms (7 years ago)

Post #17189 Photos/details on PREM/LE Library building installed on the Pro Posted by Ballypin (7 years ago)

Post #17242 Mod Idea - light projector for under cabinet lighting Posted by Daniml (7 years ago)

Post #17277 Copy of release v1.10 release notes for GB Posted by Arcade (7 years ago)

Post #17329 Video on how to backup the SD card on the Spike System Posted by wiggy07 (7 years ago)

Post #17349 Player tip on how to play the Dont Cross the Streams video mode Posted by TimeBandit (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5286 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

They're going to make this game forever like MET. No rush whatsoever.

Not necessarily. How about WWE, Avatar, RS, etc...

That's the funny thing with the way Stern puts out games.

If the game is a hit, they will be making it for a long time, so there's no need to hurry.

If the game is a flop, they won't keep making it, but better to have not rushed in to purchase.

I see the LE as a roll of the dice. You can do well if the game is a success but it also has the biggest downside.

As popular as Met is, does anyone know if METLE commands a big premium these days over it's initial price?

#5637 8 years ago

Game looks great! Glad I'm not in love with the LE so don't feel any pressure to buy without playing it first.

#5773 8 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Having magnet slings instead of conventional slingshots might prove to be a very good decision. Less moving parts and you can ramdomize the strength of the push / pull of the magnets as well as making the ball go in unexpected patterns.

I think it's a neat idea but different isn't always better. The thing about traditional slings is you can anticipate their behavior. Seems like the magnets may be an even greater randomizer. I wouldn't enjoy hitting a sling shot and have the magnets fling the ball down the middle.

#5779 8 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Am I crazy to consider getting a premium AND a pro, swapping cabinets, and selling the pro?

I also like the pro cab and translite the best. Get some dark blue powdercoated armor for the win.

#7030 8 years ago

Question. For those who have pre-ordered, will your distributor refund your deposit if you ask? If so, is there a cut-off date?

#7040 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Yes, deposit is fully refundable up to the time they ask for full payment.

In that case, there is no risk in pre-ordering.

Do all the distributors offer this?

#7053 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Unless you sign something that says otherwise, I don't think there is a legal way for any distro to keep a deposit for a game you do not want. Unless of course the transaction is complete (they have their money, you have your game)

Well then, I will adjust my thinking regarding Stern pre-orders. No harm in pre-ordering to buy a little time until enough information is revealed to make a final decision. Thanks for the info.

#7072 8 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

Depoit is refundable until 48 hours after Stern posts pictures of the machine. Then it is nonrefundable but can be applied to a different game if I want to back out of the title I reserved. I think this is fair since my reservation makes the machine unavalable to others that may inquire.

Now I'm confused. I was thinking "a little more time" was more than 48hrs after initial photo reveal. Is this the same for all distributors or can you get better terms if you shop around?

If this is the case, there's no chance to see gameplay video. What if you don't want any of the versions, does your distributor hold your deposit until the next title?

Edit: This probably belongs in it's own thread. I will wait a few months until the GB pre-order has run its course and bring it up again when the issue is not so immediate. It's too late for me anyway but I would like to know for the future.

#7144 8 years ago

That's a nice full featured looking Pro! I like the sounds, display and lighting effects. Now that's the way to tie in a theme!

#7398 8 years ago

Would like to see the ability to cancel the mystery award animations with the flippers.

Hit flippers to go directly to the final awards page. Hit them again to immediately collect all awards.

#7515 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

GOT looks like a piece of shit.
GB looks like one of the best Sterns ever to come out since TSPP.

Art can prevent me from buying a game. AC/DC and BSD are a couple of examples but not GOT.
Great art is not enough to get me to buy a game but it's a good start.

#7654 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think he got into some kind of timed mode where the super stayed lit. GB just has 'super jackpot' shots throughout. Check out the rules that got posted. Cleaning up slime lights a super, cleaning up more slim before the super times out lights it for 2x, etc.

I think it would be more exciting if they gave each multiplication level a different name and sound callout. Ie., Jackpot, Super Jackpot, Mega ..., Mega Super, etc...

I like when you can tell what you're collecting by the sound alone.

#7665 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

If they bring in Sauramon to do the callouts this would be perfect.

LOL

I guess it might be easier to just add a 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.. callout in front of the "Super Jackpot". Code is still early, I bet they will have some way to let the player know what the Super Jackpot multiplication level is since it's such a major part of the game.

#7705 8 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

This is what I had hoped for but there is no way they would fit there with the magnet cores. But then if it did suck they could turn it off. I am worried how it will affect multiball as well as just general play.

One major difference with magnets is that they pull the ball towards them versus slingshots that push the ball away. So with traditional slingshots a ball that is getting pushed from sling to sling tends to go up the playfield. With magnets it seems that when a ball moving upwards hit's the top sling switch it will get pulled back down towards the flippers.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this works. I imagine it will take a bit of experimentation for them to get the effects they want.

#7715 8 years ago

As much as it would be nice to have all the mechs included in the game. I like that they are offering cool software controlled mechs as an option. Since it's an add-on, perhaps they can put more into them and just price accordingly.

#7728 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Don't be so sure on these, haha. I kid I kid. That is one diverse lineup right there!

Hah! Hobbit is already shipping so you can cross it off your list.

#7737 8 years ago
Quoted from brojd:

Wouldn't that depend on the polarity of the electromagnet?

If I'm not mistaken, the magnet can only attract a steel ball, regardless of the polarity.

#7767 8 years ago
Quoted from soundwave:

This thing is going to bankrupt me. It's so stunning, and I can see I'm going to want ALL the Stern produced mods.

I think Stern has hit on a brilliant marketing strategy.

I would be sharpening my pitchfork if they included a color display, topper and crossing stream mechs but added $1000 to the game price.

As optional mods I'm happy they're offered and then Pro buyers can also purchase.

#7840 8 years ago

Edit: GOT opinion removed. Why am I posting a GOT opinion in a GB thread? Doh!

#7845 8 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Magnetic slings are one of the Prem/LE features, don't like them, buy a pro

But what If I like the right ramp return to the left flipper? Oh the decisions...

Hmm...maybe I should wait until I actually see it in action.

#8140 8 years ago

Though cool, I don't think the subway ramp will effect play much. The crossover ramp is significant, especially if it can be backhanded by the right flipper as it would allow you to return the ball to either flipper from either flipper.

#8264 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I'm sure you can turn it off in the settings too like GOT

It would be good to turn it off for league/tournament play.

#8273 8 years ago

I entered the relationship with 25 games in storage, so my wife knew what she was getting into. Even though she isn't thrilled with our garage loaded up with projects, the other day she sent me a link to a game someone was selling. That surprised me.

#8562 8 years ago

I already like the way Slimer sort of floats vertically in the pro. If it floats similarly in the premium with added horizontal movement covering the area you've drawn, I think it's going to be a very cool and unique toy.

#8699 8 years ago

The premium is so much better than the pro and I heard the pro is already deeper than LOTR. Will definitely be in the top 1 of all time.

#8734 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I am kind of baffled at this point why we haven't see the gameplay from the Prem/LE version yet.

In my opinion, Stern's marketing is brilliant. If you keep some things unknown, people will buy based on hype, speculation and hope for a great game, as proven by the LE being sold out without a single gameplay video.

If the game turns out to be a great player, they will continue to sell a bunch of premiums. If not, at least they got the LE's sold out.

#8809 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Is that you Jack? Getting nervous over there? Lawlor's game late? 2018?

Is that you Gary?

#8831 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I think so, and if not, what's the point of all the demand for colordmd and LCD screens?

Because they look great! Take LOTR for example. The detail the color brings out in the animations is fantastic as compared to the mono-colored alternative, even at the resolution of a DMD.

I would bet on Color DMD eventually making a display for GB. It just takes one capable owner who is willing to colorize his game and Color DMD making their hardware compatible with Spike.

#8844 8 years ago

double post

#8849 8 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Do people actually enjoy videomodes?

Some I do, some not so much.

#8870 8 years ago

I think the further you get the more random it should get.

#9210 8 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

You're getting into a grey area when the manufacture is entering into the mod market, sure they will say we didn't include it to keep the costs down but who's to say they didn't include it to gouge you in the end.

The LEs sold out very quickly, so buyers are saying Stern is offering plenty of value for the money.

I don't see how Stern can be accused of gouging, at least in the case of the LE.

#9261 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why be worried about mirror blades all of a sudden as if it was the only metal thing around

It's possible they may cause the sides of the game to collapse inwards from the pull of the magnets.

1 week later
#9796 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The gumball machine on my TZ works fine after 20+ years so I'm certainly not worried about the moving Slimer toy breaking.

My HP 11C calculator has been working problem free for the last 35 years, so I'm not worried about the Slimer toy breaking either...

#10081 8 years ago

I just don't see the magna slings ever being able to mimic a normal sling. The angles and physics are too different.

Doesn't mean they will be bad though. They will just offer a different playing experience.

Edit: That's one of the things I like about John Trudeau's designs. He's willing to try something different.

#10137 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

This setup is going to be a crap shoot. You could fix it up a tad by using eddy sensors or the like, but the hardware as it is right now, right next to where the ball drains are, let's just say it's going to cause a lot of frustration.

I don't think it will be a crapshoot and I think we'll have to see gameplay before determining if we like or dislike the results.

Given a consistent magnetic pulse length I would expect somewhat consistent results given a similar input, ie. speed, angle and where the ball hits the sling.

Just like on a regular sling, playfield pitch, sling rubber, switch sensitivity, etc... all play a part.

Difference is, I expect the results will be opposite of normal. Usually, a ball hitting high on the slingshot will be pushed upwards. With magnets, a ball hitting high on the slingshot will be pulled downwards.

#10143 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

traditional slings have gotten stale. I think this will be a nice change up and it fits the theme. You obviously will not want this on EVERY game, but I like it for GB.

I'm not quite sure why people think this is only good for GB but not other games.

If it's a really cool alternative to traditional slings and adds to gameplay, why not use it on other games?

If it significantly detracts from gameplay it would be better if it weren't in GB. They could have used the typical center magnet(s) to mess with the ball in a "ghostly" way.

#10153 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

ArcadiusMaximus, why did you thumbs down my picture? This is the way magnets work, a pinball is uncharged so it's attracted to either a negative or positive magnet. A pinball being uncharged is never repelled from a magnet.

I thumbed up your post so you're back to neutral. Wouldn't want you to walk around being negative.

Edit: Also, you are correct.

#10166 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What do traditional slings really add to a game?

A somewhat predictable mechanism that adds both excitement and danger to a game and can be influenced by nudging.

#10180 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Magna slings look like they kill the balls momentum which is the opposite of what slings usually do.

Will be nice to have a slower more thoughtful game instead the endless speed and in your face action of a game like IM.

#10210 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What do you think pop bumpers and slings are for? Randomness. Pinball hasn't been about increasing control. The player is given one aspect of control (the flippers) and the rest is a fight against randomness.

There are many things in a pinball machine that contribute to the randomness versus control.

In my opinion, players want to feel they have some shot of beating the machine and they want to be entertained. Too much randomness and players will walk away. Not enough randomness and the game is too easy, players get bored and they walk away.

Less random magna slings could be a really good thing for GB.

More random magna slings could be a really good thing for GB.

It's subjective and there's no way of even getting a consensus until the game is out with decent code and a bunch of people have had a chance to play it.

It's still fun to speculate though.

1 week later
#11239 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I totally get it man, you would think they would have changed the way of promoting a game by pushing the more profitable version on people then the base model.

I think Stern has a lot of experience with the way they market games.

One thing to consider. By delaying the video on the premium, people who are anxious to get the game will buy the pro instead of waiting.

If the premium is really good, many of these pro buyers will upgrade down the line, so Stern makes two sales instead of just one.

#11335 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is why you don't see ball wear on Addams or TZ's magna flippers. and you wont' on GB slings.

Unless they try to do something tricky like hold the ball, then drop to the flipper or transfer to the other magnet. In which case, mylar should protect the playfield.

Anyone know why they didn't put mylar down over the Sanctum on Shadow at the factory?

#11344 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think home use games won't have to worry in general....and if someone gets worried - mylar half-circles, bam - done.

I would probably put a full circle over each core.

#11485 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I just scrolled through the stream to see if I could find anyone playing - found one guy who was just getting unbelievably frustrated at the drains. I saw him lose 3 balls in a minute & complain about the flipper gap, the flipper alignment, the metal inlane/outlane guides...he was not a happy camper. I'm fully prepared to easy-ify the shit out of this game to make it enjoyable.

I was just watching someone play. Looked like a good player (judging by his flipper control) but the game was brutal. Most of the drains were down the middle. Don't think he scored more than 10M in 5 games. Then he opened the game up, so must have been the owner.

#11607 7 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Even the few changes in PF design to Premium won't make significant (I wouldn't expect) differences to gameplay.

I think the right ramp return to the left flipper may make a significant difference to gameplay. Also, I expect the greater mobility of the slimer toy and magna slings could significantly affect gameplay.

#11820 7 years ago

Looks good. The magna slings don't seem nearly as active as regular slings and on the rare occasions where the ball bounces back and forth between them, it actually slows down rather than speeding up like normal slings would do.

I think this tones down some of the difficulty seen on the pro and makes for a better balanced game.

#11983 7 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

The slings just need to fine tuned at home. Adjust the leaf switch gap, and either pull the rubber tight around the one edge, or use one size smaller. May never be as responsive as 2 switches but you can definitely tune it better than stock.

If the switch is adjusted to make it more sensitive, there may be a problem with chatter. Though this could probably be fixed by debouncing the switch in software. I think it's going to just take a lot of trial and error to get the action they want.

That being said, there seems to be plenty of action in the game already, even with the somewhat dead slings, so maybe this is exactly the action they want. Don't think more is needed.

Edit: They could include a "slingshot switch debounce time" setting in the software so that people can set-up the sensitivity to their liking. If I were Stern, I would do this as it saves them the trouble of trying to find the perfect balance that not everyone will be happy with anyway.

#12016 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It's called life. Grab a helmet and strap it on.

Off topic segue on bad language:

We often hear people say, "what's the big deal if a pinball machine has bad or offensive language, children hear far worse and that's just part of everyday life".

First, I agree children hear (and say) far worse language, I would say comparable to most R rated films, at a pretty young age. I think this is fairly normal. They just don't do it in front of their parents. My recollection is it started at around 8 years old for me (back in 1971 in a middle class suburb in CA).

They don't do it in front of their parents because they are usually taught that it is inappropriate. So, children learn where and when it's okay to use "bad" language. I tend to agree that indiscriminately using bad language is socially frowned upon in many circles and often reflects poorly on the person doing it.

In a similar way, a pinball machine using bad language is indiscriminate in who it affects, other than it's location. So, I can understand parents who are trying to teach their children where and when bad language is appropriate being concerned with such language in a game that they choose to put on display in their home, as it tacitly condones that behavior.

#12039 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

We're talking about a game...not a person...and frankly, bad language is the last thing I'd be concerned about when it comes to what games expose the general public to. Have you seen the last 20 years of video games? Have you seen the DMD animations on TWD? Violence and guns...and those machines are everywhere. They are largely seen as entertainment and not condoning that kind of behavior.

I think it's much easier for kids to separate the make believe violence in video games and movies from real life. Modes of conduct are pretty clear cut and most children don't see the people around them going around shooting people or robbing banks, etc...

Language is a lot more subtle and I would argue its use (or misuse) will have a bigger impact on their lives.

Quoted from 27dnast:

I totally understand wanting to have control over what a child is exposed to.

I'm actually less concerned with trying to control what my child is exposed to as I am with being consistent in whatever it is I am trying to teach them.

#12047 7 years ago

I only watched the video for a bit. Was there much action to the crossover ramp? That's one of the major differences between the Pro and the Premium/LE.

#12052 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hell, if you think aboot the talk of the slings before this video, the love has increased 10000X!

Because little action from the slings makes the game play better. Since people were afraid it would play worse, showers of love.

#12059 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Are you saying the slings only registered 10% of the hits? That's a pretty large exaggeration of how they preformed if you are.

I only watched for about 30min, but I think that's pretty accurate. All the high and low shots that would have kicked a standard slingshot did nothing (other than bounce off the rubber) and the center shots weren't particularly sensitive either.

May have had something to do with the angle of the slingshots, but people say the slingshots on the pro are very active.

#12158 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Non issue anyway. They'll put in a family mode.

Not worried about Stern putting in a family mode setting. They want to sell as many machines as possible. But, as to the general off topic discussion.

Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Plus, what if their friends want to play it when they are over? not my call to decide whats ok for other kids to hear.

Exactly! I am personally not offended by bad language but try to be considerate of others who might not feel the same way.

#12164 7 years ago

Regarding Pro vs Pre/LE debate:

Does the dip below the playfield ramp return and subway lock on the Pre/LE really add much value?

From what I could see, the dip under the playfield was hardly noticeable and haven't really heard much mentioned about how cool the effect was. I do like the metal ramp though.

A hidden lock doesn't seem much different than a virtual lock. Biggest difference is the hidden lock steals the ball from the inlane feed. Don't know if this is good, bad or indifferent.

Really liked the way Slimer floated on the Pro, it's a great fit for the ghost theme. Was looking forward to the Pre/LE having a similar movement and adding left to right.

Was also hoping you could backhand the right ramp on the Pre/LE to get the ball over to the left flipper, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Do people who have played the game feel it's too right flipper centric? Is there a good way to get the ball over to the left flipper?

Like that the magna slings aren't as active making the game a little easier. I guess you can reduce the sensitivity of the slings on the PRO to get a similar affect but you won't get the other tricks they do with the magnets.

Need to see the ecto goggles in person to see how cool the effect is. If similar to RFM I think it will be very nice.

The 3d sculpts on the premium are very nice.

I like the artwork on the Pro the best.

My initial impressions without having played either game are: the Pro is full featured and it seems like you may not be giving up much play wise. I'm a little disappointed in the Pre/LE but think it still offers enough to differentiate it from the Pro. Unlike say ST pro vs Pre which are so similar. Or GOT Pro vs Pre where there is a lot of differentiation but only because the Pro is so stripped down.

#12172 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

It makes a huge difference that he moves left and right. Having put in hours of time on the pro, it will be very nice to wait to shoot for Slimer until he's in a safer position than just straight up the middle. He's going to take more skill to deal with overall as it's not the same shot every time. It's a very different experience.

Good point and probably the most significant difference to game play. Still like the way he floats on the Pro though. Can you time the shot on the Pro so that the ball goes past him while still registering a hit?

#12188 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just trying to make a point. All of that could have been done "virtually" through text on the DMD with a ball hold.

You can also see the gumball machine and track where the power ball is in the rotation at all times (an important aspect of game strategy). So it provides useful information in a very cool mechanical way.

To me, a ball that is locked under the playfield and out of view might as well be virtual as it doesn't provide any information. You don't even get see to how it's locked so it's kind of a non-event. Granted, having another chance at a skill shot is nice, but not particularly cool or that significant to gameplay, IMO.

Better to save the money on that mech and put it into something else, like maybe giving Slimer vertical as well as horizontal movement or RGB general illumination..

#12205 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You forgot the part where you actually see the ball drop from the steel ramp (not plastic) underneath the playfield. That alone is cool. Also, theres a ball lock intergrated with the ramp plus a VUK / scoop shot where balls are then ejected from. All of that just sounds like fun to me as the ramp (all metal), subway, lock, VUK and scoop just represents this big cool feature on the premium / LE.
How in the hell is just a regular plastic ramp better then all of that? *Mic drop, lol.

I'm not arguing that there is zero value there or that the Pro is better. I'm just saying that when I'm comparing the two models, that feature doesn't add that much value to me. I would have rather they spent the funds and development time on something with more impact.

2 weeks later
#13213 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Maybe it is just me but adding a center post feels like cheating as it was never part of the game, even as a factory adjustment.

I don't see anything wrong with making "your" game play the way "you" like it.

1 week later
#13533 7 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

I don't know if there is something in particular with the Ghostbuster's fan-base, but I feel like this theme has really brought the jerks out of the woodworks.

I think every new title brings a different set of uber-fans out of the woodwork. The older and more loved a theme the more passionate the fan base. They all seem somewhat similar.

Unless of course it is a new JJP title, then the same set of uber-haters show up.

1 week later
#14198 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Now i see why people on here are complaining about how hard the game is. Hardly anybody even hit 10million per game while i watched it and nobody got Multiball. For all that have only played it few times or only watched this stream i can tell you the game gets way easier once you know the table.

If people's initial impressions are bad enough, they may not want to come back and get to know the table.

#14259 7 years ago

For the people who like their games tough, I suggest installing lightening flippers and removing the outposts on all your games.

Voila! Instantly make any game brutal and super fun!

#14476 7 years ago

At the rate Stern is cranking out games, I think JT and Dwight did an amazing job on GB. To come up with a unique and interesting playfield layout and a completely coded game (meaning everything is there, not things people would like to be different) is quite an accomplishment.

I expect there will be another round or two of polishing, but do people think JT and Dwight will have the luxury of lingering much longer on GB before having to move onto the next project?

#14479 7 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Well, since Dwight's not done with GOT, GB technically still is the next product.

Sounds a little like my pinball projects. The more I add the further I fall behind.

GB is released and pretty much done. I wonder what his next game is going to be. Gotta keep new titles in the pipeline.

#14517 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Oh my goodness. My coworker just gave this to me. Her father-in-law used to run a video rental store. He had old promo stuff boxed up and she snagged this for me. It's a promo jacket for video store owners to commemorate the release of Ghostbusters 2 on VHS. Haha.

That's a really nice jacket. Too bad it represents such a terrible movie...... (ducks)

#14526 7 years ago
Quoted from Bwilson:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put lightning flippers on this bad boy...pfft carrot flippers.

Are you sure you can handle that much fun?

#14545 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

There are other games out there. I have never bought or kept a game I didn't like. There are so many games out there that instead of blaming a designer for not making things exactly how I WANT THEM TO BE, I get a different game. It's a pretty simple concept.

But the theme and artwork are so good it makes you willing to go the extra mile to see if the things that bother you can be corrected.

#14565 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The flipper gap is not a design flaw. It's a choice.

First, I like JT. I think he is creative in his designs and I always look forward to his next reveal.

That being said, do you think everything a designer comes up with is good, just because he "chooses" it?

#14568 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

No, but in this instance it's how the game is meant to be set up. It's like taking the lightning flippers off of BSD. Those shots were laid out with specific geometry in mind and the stock flippers achieve that.
Scores of 8 billion by switching to longer flippers show that it's putting things wildly out of balance.

I guess the question is, was that a good way to set the game up?

From peoples responses, I would say the general consensus is "yes" if you are a more experienced player in a home environment and like a tough game.

Similar to WOZ, the family friendly theme and cartoony artwork will attract new, inexperienced players.

For these players and those who don't like tough, short ball time games, the answer might be "no".

The good thing is it's not too difficult to change the set-up so that it appeals to players who want a more approachable game.

The challenge may be in finding a set-up that works for both types of player.

#14629 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This is not n oversight but intention design feature of the game. Like it or not oh sorry personal choice, but 'mistake' or error it is not

There are times when even the designer, in hindsight, will admit that an intentional design aspect of the game was a mistake.

Example, Steve R. with regards to too many shots in the fan layout of No Fear or the punishing outlanes on STTNG. Both basic "bones" of the layout.

#14648 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

We've already seen that people throwing on carrot flippers are getting much, much higher scores. The improvement in score isn't mild by any means. I think that validates that the game was designed around the flipper game to keep things balanced.

A game with a really high score from someone who put carrot flippers on is one data point.

We've seen hours of play on the standard machine with most players having very short ball times and getting very low scores.

It would be interesting to see a similar hours long video on a game with carrot flippers. The carrot flippers may also allow you to adjust the flipper angle to make it easier to trap the ball and still make the outer shots.

I remember listening to an interview about the Gottlieb days and all the effort they put into evaluating games in test locations. Goal being to find just the right level of difficulty so that the players felt they received decent value for their coin and the operator made money.

#14652 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Oh, criticism is fair game. Fair critiques is how we get better products in the long run. If you don't like Ghostbusters, feel free to say it! If you hate it for certain reasons, say why...

This is what most people are doing.

Quoted from jar155:

"John Trudeau is washed up and doesn't know what he's doing anymore." The former is a statement about you not liking something, which is normal. The latter is just not helpful at all.

I think only one person who's been acting trollish in a variety of threads did that.

#14806 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

This is very interesting- Stern posted a documentary about their business today, and there is a scene where it quickly shows two Slimer mechanisms being play tested on a whiteboard type of setup.
You will notice one mechanism resembles the one shipping on newer Pro's and also the LE's - and the other one (right of picture) is the one that has hit registering issues.
I am wondering if Stern had a bunch of the bad ones made and didn't want to junk them, along with playfields with typos, in order to save a few bucks. I don't understand why there was play testing of two separate mechanisms, and they shipped with one version for a few weeks then switched to the other, especially when most people were saying the original one doesn't register shots properly unless rigging them up with washers and other tricks.
Could it be that the initial shipments of Pro's were Prototype machines Stern sold that really were not the final design? I hope not..
Newer / better working design on Left side, older/original "tempermental" design on right that initially shipped on Pros:

They may have tested both old and new at the same time in the same set-up to do a direct one-on-one comparison and verify the new one worked better.

#14896 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just last week, she looked at my AFM with PDI and said, "There's no glass on this?" and couldn't believe it when she saw there was.

I just put a machine with standard glass next to the Hobbit. After playing the machine with standard glass my wife tried to touch the playfield on the Hobbit and was surprised when her fingers hit the glass.

#15175 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I just want you to shut up about it, because it craps up the thread every time.

I would normally keep quiet, but this is just too ironic coming from the guy who does the exact same thing in Hobbit threads.

#15181 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Hobbit REVIEW threads. I don't go into the official thread at all.

Okay, that is a distinction but having the same opinions repeated ad nauseum gets tiring wherever it occurs, wouldn't you agree?

Quoted from jar155:

He's just whining about non-problems.

Problem or non-problem is in the eye of the beholder.

At least Rarehero is buying the game so he is very vested in fixing the flaws he perceives. Voicing his opinions may result in a better game for him as well as others.

#15203 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

Um, photos don't show both flippers ...Half an inch sounds like a HUGE difference. How wide is a ball? 3/4 inch?

Ball is 1 1/16"

I'm surprised the gap is 1/2" bigger. I think someone said the carrot flippers are 1/8" longer. If so, that would still leave 1/4" wider gap which might be just right.

#15215 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I've never seen so much crying about how a game SHOULD BE EASY by design. wtf, no one wants challenges anymore?

I don't think it's just about easy or difficult. It seems like people are trying to figure out why the game isn't "fun" to them so they can make the necessary changes to make it fun. Art, theme and sound are winners.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.