IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 360.
#4301 8 years ago

LCD or DMD I speculate it is going to be a bad ass game. This is one of those nostalgic themes that even kids will like and old dudes like myself just have to have one. Can't wait to see this game.

#4302 8 years ago

I'm not believing it's DMD until I see the official reveal. DMD just makes no sense to me...

#4303 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I'm not believing it's DMD until I see the official reveal. DMD just makes no sense to me...

Seems like this post should be the other way around. Wwhere is the precedence for a LCD?

#4304 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If it's DMD I may take my new pin money + sell my 3 pins & then pay cash for a Polaris Slingshot to put in my garage.
Might even get a Predator motorcycle helmet as a nod to my former hobby & how stupid it's become.
I'm so F'n serious
It's crazy to me that 3 Stern NIB Premiums = 1 paid off brand new Batmobile
But an LCD might keep me stupid long enough to buy another machine I speculate
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

^^^^^and they got an LE model to bat!

#4305 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

^^^^^and they got an LE model to bat!

With complete code & no peeling decals!

#4307 8 years ago

Umm....okay. So you're in for an LE is what you are saying?

#4308 8 years ago

Also, Kaneda does Brenda know that pic of her is up?

#4309 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Looks like they copied CC stand up targets in the middle of playfield.

Or, you know, like lots of other games that have done this. Defender comes to mind as the earliest example.

#4310 8 years ago

Well, Harold Ramis passed on February 24th. The wiring diagram in the factory tour had a codename 'Harold'. The 24th is a Wednesday. Stern favors Wednesday reveals. I'd speculate if they don't announce this Wednesday that is safe to assume something didn't go as expected, shipping delays or whatever..

If they do it on the 24th, I hope they class it up with a nod to him, he was a comedy great in my book.

#4311 8 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

Or, you know, like lots of other games that have done this. Defender comes to mind as the earliest example.

There is also a EM pin with it. It's long before CC

#4312 8 years ago

Brand new member-1st post ever-calls pinsiders losers.

How many times have you been kicked off Pinside before?

#4313 8 years ago

Let's see. Member for 2 hours and call us losers.

Heees baaaaccckkk

#4314 8 years ago

And, you were right....The TMNT bedsheets should have been a strong clue...

#4315 8 years ago

Please don't respond to trolls (or fake accounts). Report the post and let the mods handle it. Thanks!

#4316 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Is that one street legal??

#4318 8 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

Well, Harold Ramis passed on February 24th. The wiring diagram in the factory tour had a codename 'Harold'. The 24th is a Wednesday. Stern favors Wednesday reveals. I'd speculate if they don't announce this Wednesday that is safe to assume something didn't go as expected, shipping delays or whatever..
If they do it on the 24th, I hope they class it up with a nod to him, he was a comedy great in my book.

Can't believe it's been almost two years since Harold Ramis passed away. Was a very sad day hearing the news and watched Ghostbusters that night.

That would be cool if the release announcement was this Wed. Their Facebook page would drop hints sometime tomorrow given their past announcements.

#4319 8 years ago

Stern has already said that the DMD replacement is coming this year, but not on the next title (this was post-Spider-Man VE).

Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

#4320 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Stern has already said that the DMD replacement is coming this year, but not on the next title (this was post-Spider-Man VE).
Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

It's almost assured that GB will be DMD, but the ongoing discussion stems from the *possibility* that Stern is intentionally withholding information or by cause/chance is able to ship with an LCD.

Likewise, the purported Slimer hologram would need to be generated by an LCD, potentially similar to the small LCD in WWE or WOZ.

I think everyone is ready for a new display as opposed to the status quo, but if it ain't broke...

#4321 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is that one street legal??

yes.

#4322 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

If it's DMD I may take my new pin money + sell my 3 pins & then pay cash for a Polaris Slingshot to put in my garage.
Might even get a Predator motorcycle helmet as a nod to my former hobby & how stupid it's become.
I'm so F'n serious
But an LCD might keep me stupid long enough to buy another machine I speculate
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Yeah, but it will depreciate even faster than a Shaq Attack!

#4324 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I think everyone is ready for a new display as opposed to the status quo, but if it ain't broke...

It is broke. Every new Stern machine produced with a DMD in the last 5+ years makes the game look 20+ years old.
They do not look any newer than a MM.

#4325 8 years ago

If DMD is so bad, why haven't you guys all sold off your collections to get WoZ and on The Hobbit's preorder list? I mean if the games are so awful with DMDs, why subject yourself to such a broken and terrible experience?

#4326 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If DMD is so bad, why haven't you guys all sold off your collections to get WoZ and on The Hobbit's preorder list? I mean if the games are so awful with DMDs, why subject yourself to such a broken and terrible experience?

ya, I agree. I love the dots and colordmd w/ the dots is a great mod.

#4327 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is broke. Every new Stern machine produced with a DMD in the last 5+ years makes the game look 20+ years old.
They do not look any newer than a MM.

Perhaps not that one component, but everything else looks newer.

#4328 8 years ago

RGB controlled LEDs are a much bigger deal than the display. Thank goodness they got that done. If you play an AC/DC with those dynamic lights (one of the games that does it best from Stern), it's extremely noticeable when you go back to play an older game. My favorite game of all time is TZ, but it looks dark and aged after playing AC/DC.

#4329 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is broke. Every new Stern machine produced with a DMD in the last 5+ years makes the game look 20+ years old. They do not look any newer than a MM.

...which people are still happy to pay $8000 for. Your point?

#4330 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Stern's pro's are also the cheapest nib pin you can get!

#4331 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think the point is that most people would prefer to see an Lcd at some point. Sure, dmd is fine but it's probably time.

But maybe not.

Personally, I think there is a viable concern that the 'art' aspect of a pin display could go away if everything is replaced with video snippets a la slot machines...(though there is probably a happy medium there somewhere)

#4332 8 years ago

Oh, it's past time for DMD to get the boot in favor of LCD, but I don't see it as a valid make or break consideration. The LCD does nothing to change gameplay at all. It's purely a bells and whistles thing. A great game with no LCD is still great. A stinker game with an LCD is still a stinker. You can't put an LCD on South Park and all of sudden make me want one.

Yes, DMD is old tech and it looks old. Thing is, it doesn't matter all that much for pinball. As long as the dots are good, a ColorDMD will hide most of that old look anyway.

#4333 8 years ago

I'll be doing cartwheels if Ghostbusters ships with and LCD instead of the DMD, but people should realize this isn't going to happen.

Either Aerosmith this summer, or The Force Awakens this fall will have the new display.

#4334 8 years ago

I'll be doing cartwheels if Ghostbusters ships with and LCD instead of the DMD, but people should realize this isn't going to happen.
Either Aerosmith this summer, or The Force Awakens this fall will have the new display.

If your doing cartwheels please make sure to take a video so we al can see it.

#4335 8 years ago

Or who knows it could be released in the summer to coincide with the reboot movie. That would indeed make it not the next game.

#4336 8 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

If your doing cartwheels please make sure to take a video so we al can see it.

Will be happy to!

#4337 8 years ago
Quoted from Herm:

Or who knows it could be released in the summer to coincide with the reboot movie. That would indeed make it not the next game.

#4338 8 years ago

Thanks! i can't find it under COR…can you hook me up with a link.

#4339 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Thanks! i can't find it under COR…can you hook me up with a link.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot/license-requirements

yeah! I've seen a few up in my neck of the woods and then out in vegas I think.

#4340 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot/license-requirements
yeah! I've seen a few up in my neck of the woods and then out in vegas I think.

They are all over the Phoenix area.

#4341 8 years ago

Slingshots appear to hold their value quite well.

Better than Avengers LE

Who cares about resale & DMD's?

Ted bro you gonna get one? If so get plates that say C1GAR

#4342 8 years ago

My money is on The Force Awakens for the first LCD.

#4343 8 years ago

Star Wars + LCD = AWESOME!!

#4344 8 years ago

In honor of the 1984 release date of Ghostbusters, Stern should replace the monochrome DMD with a 7 digit LED score display.

laser-cue_(resized).jpglaser-cue_(resized).jpg

#4345 8 years ago
Quoted from guyincognito:

In honor of the 1984 release date of Ghostbusters, Stern should replace the monochrome DMD with a 7 digit LED score display.
laser-cue_(resized).jpg

That would badass if they did 80s style backglass, score displays and backbox.

#4346 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

This.

The DMD is certainly long in the tooth, certainly no doubt about that; but to question a game's viability and quality on the basis of not having an LCD is an unfair judgment, in my opinion.

The same parallels can be made in the videogame industry: Everyone loves 1080p graphics, but having cutting edge visuals doesn't guarantee a good game. Shovel Knight, released in 2014, is a fantastic game that follows in the graphical footsteps of the 16-bit era of the early '90s.

If I had the capital to finance a NIB game purchase, I'd honestly be happy with either display. A DMD will give the game a "classic" look and feel that will age gracefully with time, whereas an LCD display will be cutting edge and futuristic and continue to pack a visual punch in a gameroom lineup or on location.

#4347 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My money is on The Force Awakens for the first LCD.

Ditto that.

If anybody thinks an LCD makes none or very little difference you haven't seen TH

GB will be my final DMD. No way I'd consider Aerosmith even with LCD.

#4348 8 years ago

What if Aerosmith is next as the last DMD and GB is the first LCD after that? It would make better sense to me to do it in that order.

#4349 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Star Wars + LCD = AWESOME!!

_____ + LCD = awesome.

Or, at least MORE awesome than without one. I still wouldn't buy a LCD pin without great gameplay....

#4350 8 years ago

What if Stern never makes a LCD, and people just keep enjoying playing pinball?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.