IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 360.
#3801 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

After watching BOP 2.0 more... I can't imagine how anyone can discount the impact of Display and Media on games. When you have such a direct A vs B comparison.. its so shocking. And the creativity really puts even new releases to shame. I'm not saying its the best game, but it should be a real eye opener to people.

We've got 2.0 on location here. When I play, I prefer to switch it to the Williams version. Different things interest different people.

#3802 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I would agree.... If I believed Stern was actually losing business because of #1 or #2.
But I don't.
Regarding #1: We're living in a world where pinheads are still tripping over themselves to buy games before they are even fully seen, much less played.... Not much evidence folks are holding Stern (or JJp) accountable for incomplete code.
#2: Stern seems to be selling machines as quickly as they can crank them out. Perhaps even faster.... If they ever DID experience a lull on the lines, I'll bet they could fill it quickly with AC acdc rerun, or a few more vaults....
So, my point is I don't see Stern suffering from a lack of #1 or #2. Frankly, I wish it WERE, but too many pinheads are in the "tAke my money" mode when their theme is announced....

There is no way Jack sold 5,000 WOZ/Hobbits. Can someone confirm this?

#3803 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But does that add even a single dollar to the coinbox at the end of the week?
The number one earning game in the nation right now is WNBJM:

whoanellie02_(resized).jpg

I know it's on the list somewhere as being #1 but I just can't believe it. Novelty factor? I don't see it as being that good (IMHO) and I barely even finished a game on it at Allentown.

#3804 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I know it's on the list somewhere as being #1 but I just can't believe it. Novelty factor? I don't see it as being that good (IMHO) and I barely even finished a game on it at Allentown.

I wonder where they compile that information from. I feel like it's probably from one location.

#3805 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Unknown-1_(resized)>
Did slimer just give a emerald necklace?

#3806 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

It does not matter how "good" it is, all that matters is that people keep putting money into it.

It looks approachable and it's got big tits = money in the cashbox.

#3807 8 years ago

I thought I read that Trudeau was on this one somewhere.

Don't want to bring the guy down but he participate in 3 titles in 20 years. America vacation, Mustang and WWE.

Not very shinny.

#3808 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Don't want to bring the guy down but he participate in 3 titles in 20 years. America vacation, Mustang and WWE.
Not very shinny.

Mustang is great. WWE has some good ideas, just didn't come together well. Trudeau is a very good designer. He'll knock this one out of the park.

#3809 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Mustang is great. WWE has some good ideas, just didn't come together well. Trudeau is a very good designer. He'll knock this one out of the park.

Code support did not help him with mustang and wwe.

But I don't really know the guy, why did he participate in so little in 20 years ?

#3810 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Not very shinny.

then he has Judge Dread, Congo and CFTBL which are really good games - I like that he is willing to change and mix things up in design which carries with it some risk but the cad and whitewood of this game looks great, so does the art snippets and just leaves the rules / code which I am sure on a game with this potential will be great

he has done a few in his career
http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=trudeau&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

#3811 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

then he has Congo and CFTBL which are both really good games.

But they don't have LCD screens with hi Rez clips, I can't believe anyone can push the start button anymore

#3812 8 years ago

I don't mind having dots and in some ways would be cool to have the last Stern dots game as I don't look up at the dmd much but it is odd that they call themselves the leader of pinball when they are almost the last company to switch to lcd plus reckon when they do the cost will jack up. But a lcd would be nice especially in sttract mode and watching others play.

#3813 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

then he has Judge Dread, Congo and CFTBL which are really good games - I like that he is willing to change and mix things up in design which carries with it some risk but the cad and whitewood of this game looks great, so does the art snippets and just leaves the rules / code which I am sure on a game with this potential will be great

Agree, pretty sure this time Gary will make sure he gets a great code to go with his design. Otherwise the guy will start hating Ritchie and Borg for not sharing Lyman and Dwight lol

#3814 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

But they don't have LCD screens with hi Rez clips, I can't believe anyone can push the start button anymore

And you ? What is this ? From fat to fit to fat ?

The douchebag is just not your style hahahahaha

#3815 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

And you ? What is this ? From fat to fit to fat ?
The douchebag is just not your style hahahahaha

You are on ocular pat down notice.

#3816 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Did JJP "draw" all that Hobbit animation? No, it's a mix of film clips and CG animation/transitions. For licensed games, gstting content for the color display is relatively easy. Stern is already doing film/CG mix for DMD ...look at GOT and Kiss. The artists are already doing "next gen display" type of work - it's just being pumped thru the shitty red DMD.

Clips are easy sure... but then you end up with choppy Sega CD crap. Production quality like the Hobbit and Woz come from integration, presentation, etc.

Just something as 'necessary' as the screen layout and mode honeycomb for the Hobbit take a lot of effort to get RIGHT - and that doesn't come for free from movie assets.

The thing is... the higher the quality of the stuff you are bringing in for 'free' - the higher the quality and effort it will take to make all that stuff *FIT* and work well. Even tho they are taking rendered clips in the DMD production now... they still get to work with what is almost a completely empty piece of paper with standard fonts and text. That luxury disappears when we go full multimedia.

#3817 8 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Agree, pretty sure this time Gary will make sure he gets a great code to go with his design. Otherwise the guy will start hating Ritchie and Borg for not sharing Lyman and Dwight lol

Dwight is doing code for Ghostbusters.

#3818 8 years ago

I just visited the TBL tour thread

Wow, amazing. It's very impressive!

No way I'm buying another DMD game.

#3819 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Location pinball is a novelty that happens in barcades now. I'm just so confused as to how an LCD will make someone who's not into pinball get into pinball. After playing some of the best pins from the B/W all the way up to Tron LE tonight at Sunshine Laundromat, I have to say, if you want to get more people into pinball, make pins that are MORE FUN and have more Excitement happening on the playfield. That casual / new to pinball person doesn't care at all about code or game depth or the display. Make it so they can figure out what to do by looking at the playfield. They want a pin that's fun to shoot. End of story.

Kaneda the problem is preseption, most people think pinball machines are old antiques. Teens and young adults dont give a rats ass about anything pinball if they havent grown up with it. So how do we get them involved? cell apps or anything thats shinny or "colorful"=LCD/OLED!

#3820 8 years ago

Sorry Dupe Post, to many Old dudes (odouls)! Of shit I meant dmd

#3821 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Dwight is doing code for Ghostbusters.

How do you know that Mr Kirk?

#3822 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Yep, I'll just leave this here:

#3823 8 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Kaneda the problem is preseption, most people think pinball machines are old antiques. Teens and young adults dont give a rats ass about anything pinball if they havent grown up with it. So how do we get them involved? cell apps or anything thats shinny or "colorful"=LCD/OLED!

Put a claw game in it? Just kidding

#3824 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

No kidding, I was blown away when I saw the LCDs on those.

#3825 8 years ago

The first LCD game should be Baywatch VE

All dat 1990's ass bouncing in HD slow motion

Take that WNBJM!

#3826 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

There is no way Jack sold 5,000 WOZ/Hobbits. Can someone confirm this?

I was going to say, if they sold 5k combined I would be A-Fn-mazed!

#3827 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

» YouTube video

Wow. Just wow

#3828 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Location pinball is a novelty that happens in barcades now. I'm just so confused as to how an LCD will make someone who's not into pinball get into pinball. After playing some of the best pins from the B/W all the way up to Tron LE tonight at Sunshine Laundromat, I have to say, if you want to get more people into pinball, make pins that are MORE FUN and have more Excitement happening on the playfield. That casual / new to pinball person doesn't care at all about code or game depth or the display. Make it so they can figure out what to do by looking at the playfield. They want a pin that's fun to shoot. End of story.

It is proven that LEDs raise earnings on a game by making it brighter and more colorful, i.e., newer. Color display should do at least that.

Imagine a GOT side by side with TBL and while you've seen both both on TV/movies you have never seen the games before. From a distance you'll see smeary red dots on one game, and the other clear color video clips with custom animations. No way the video clips on GOT entices anyone to step closer to take a look over what TBL offers. Getting customers to step closer to the game is half the battle.

#3829 8 years ago

I completely agree the LCD display with sweet graphics looks great, even the color DMD replacements are an awesome upgrade......

If stern starts charging 5.9k or whatever for street price for a pro, you happy with that?

What if they keep the pro with dot matrix displays but premium/LE come with the LCD, they are surely going to be 7k plus for premium.....maybe I'm wrong on price point and that would be a good thing.

Is TBL really 10k street price? Ouch!

#3830 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

What if they keep the pro with dot matrix displays but premium/LE come with the LCD

That's the worst of all worlds... Either Stern spends extra time and money creating animations for each platform, or one of the platforms is going to suffer with sub-par video/animations. Either way it's a waste.

#3831 8 years ago

My vote for Stern adopting LCD is that it would help understanding modern rulesets.
Coding has evolved towards more complexity - depth is good for the owner, but it makes the casual player miserable. A higher resolution screen helps to provide clearer explanations (see Full Throttle for example).

#3832 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That's the worst of all worlds... Either Stern spends extra time and money creating animations for each platform, or one of the platforms is going to suffer with sub-par video/animations. Either way it's a waste.

Noted......how do you feel about the price upgrade assuming it's substantial?

Edit-it definetly would probably be time prohibitive to do 2 diff display styles

#3833 8 years ago

I dunno. I think TBL looks great, but I'm not too impressed by seeing the same video clip ran 50 times per game. Hopefully they tone the frequency that you see those clips, because they'll wear thin fast.

Video clips will look great in a sizzle reel, they'll get boring in the home. Good animations with a good sound effect is better than hearing the same quote over and over. That's part of the issue with these video clips, you're bound to the same sound effect for them every dang time. At least with animations you can vary the sound effect that you get from time to time.

#3834 8 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

» YouTube video

OK Vid, this here...is like a pair of tits

#3835 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It does not matter how "good" it is, all that matters is that people keep putting money into it.
It looks approachable and it's got big tits = money in the cashbox.

That is why modern games need some sort of tutorial mode where someone guides them through the key shots.

#3836 8 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

It has the smallest number of locations reporting, doesn't it? Small sample = often non-representative results.

#3837 8 years ago
Quoted from Fishbeadtwo:

a search for any images of the leaked stuff reveals nothing. Did Stern scrub every image off the web?

Bing cache still has them. No one ever checks bing.

#3838 8 years ago

Let's just say that it does come with an OLED/LCD display (which in my eyes may be highly unlikely just yet, but we would have to wait and see). Think about all the possibilities that the comunity can have with the pinball browser: ripping movie clips from the web and implimenting into the game when they see fit with little to no hassle as between the two films there are alot of scenes that could be used.

#3839 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I completely agree the LCD display with sweet graphics looks great, even the color DMD replacements are an awesome upgrade......
If stern starts charging 5.9k or whatever for street price for a pro, you happy with that?
What if they keep the pro with dot matrix displays but premium/LE come with the LCD, they are surely going to be 7k plus for premium.....maybe I'm wrong on price point and that would be a good thing.
Is TBL really 10k street price? Ouch!

$10K for TBL is too much IMO but look @ all the material used on TBL vs say MET

It's been said before the LCD costs less than a DMD & they can just use the dots folks to make the clips so if anything price should drop.

#3840 8 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

$10K for TBL is too much IMO but look @ all the material used on TBL vs say MET
It's been said before the LCD costs less than a DMD & they can just use the dots folks to make the clips so if anything price should drop.

Display wise I dunno but as far as playfield fun Metallica knocks TBL dick in the dirt.

#3841 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Just to add to this, what makes a pin interesting to play on location is one that f'ing works. I've been going to a local barcade recently and of the 10 pins they have 10 don't work properly. And that's including a woz. You want to keep people interested in playing keep the games in proper working order. So to that end the games with more technology and more toys do not bring in more interest when there's more things to break. Give me a lineup of EBD, BK, HS and Pinbot on location any day over a woz, got and me.

#3843 8 years ago

Speaking of video clips... I know most aren't excited about the reboot but they released a pretty cool teaser trailer today.

#3844 8 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Speaking of video clips... I know most aren't excited about the reboot but they released a pretty cool teaser trailer today. » YouTube video

3/3/2016....

So I guess a week or so after that?

#3845 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It is proven that LEDs raise earnings on a game by making it brighter and more colorful, i.e., newer.

Evidence, data or citation please. Not starting shit, just curious.

Vid's source about WNBJM may be inaccurate, but not much seems to be published about these games production. At least it's something. If I understand correctly, operators generally don't share their revenue/earnings so as not to tip the hand of their competition.

#3846 8 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Speaking of video clips... I know most aren't excited about the reboot but they released a pretty cool teaser trailer today. » YouTube video

Awesome. I preannouncement of the official announcement.

#3847 8 years ago
Quoted from AtTheArcade:

Wow Sony has that video unlisted. Something feels off about their marketing for this one.

I don't like the fact it reminded me of the Jurassic World trailer with it's slow piano of the original theme.

#3848 8 years ago

I will be in for a GB pro for the kids if it has an LCD that's larger than a DMD. They love the display on our WOZECLE. It really helps them understand what to do and what still need done. They also really like the clips.

#3849 8 years ago

Lots of people chimed in about how to get more people / new people playing pinball. It's not a one thing will do it sort of problem. I'm going to cover this topic on my next podcast, but I think the issues are:

1. Games are too hard to figure out
2. Themes all appeal to older dudes
3. Magic is gone with modern games

Anyone want to join the podcast to discuss and share your opinions? Lots of good conversation going here and would love someone to give their opinions. PM me and we'll do this tomorrow.

K

#3850 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Display wise I dunno but as far as playfield fun Metallica knocks TBL dick in the dirt.

MET is dope no doubt

I've yet to even see TBL but it looks super legit

Man, I think I just need both!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.