IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 360.
#3551 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Think of it this way (I know it is extreme)
If I go on-line and say the government has a top-secret document detailing a UFO crash there is no problem.
If I post a picture of that document on-line there will be a problem and a knock on my door.

Or simply.. one is copyright infringement.. one is not.

Easy.

#3552 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

She has a point, I grew up with those films but would much rather Stern was making something cooler, Blade Runner or Predator, way better films and themes to be had from the 80's.

Blade runner would be awesome. Predator is now tainted.

I wanted to do a re-theme into Logan's run. Fighting Box, the New You shop, Cathedral and the wizard mode of going for renewal. Spent way too much time thinking of that at one point.

#3553 8 years ago

Come on, Stern! Release the pics so I can drain this thread already!

#3554 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Nice, but I included Pinside in that question.

Stop being obtuse.

Why would the community want to be at ODDS with the largest pinball company on the planet? Want an honest relationship.. yes. But to just go and spite them means you bite the hand that feeds you.

#3555 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stop being obtuse.
Why would the community want to be at ODDS with the largest pinball company on the planet? Want an honest relationship.. yes. But to just go and spite them means you bite the hand that feeds you.

Obtuse? I'm asking a question. And I'll ask what I want in my thread.

#3556 8 years ago

Speaking very generally, guys tend to be more nostalgic about the things they grew up with. Women, on the other hand, tend to be more embarrassed by trends or fads they enjoyed when they were young.

Case in point, I still love all the stuff I grew up with, i.e. Motley Crue, Nintendo, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, and even my beloved Z Cavaricci's.

On the other hand, I'm not sure you'll find too many ladies with their old NKOTB posters. But then again, I don't understand women, so what do I know?

#3557 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Why am I laughing even at the parts I don't understand

Here's the scene from the movie (blood and violence warning);

Later,
EV

#3558 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I wanted to do a re-theme into Logan's run

Great theme for pinball.

#3559 8 years ago

Obtuse? I'm asking a question. And I'll ask what I want in my thread.

You are basically asking 'what do you get from mutual respect'

If you want to be an ass.. over and over.. in your own thread. Go ahead.

#3560 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

...even my beloved Z Cavaricci's.
On the other hand, I'm not sure you'll find too many ladies with their old NKOTB posters.

For the most part, I agree, but I've known girls with NKOTB posters who still have giant NKOTB buttons and stuff. There is always a small trace of irony, but there is some sincerity there as well. They are usually pretty cool ladies.

I haven't seen anyone rocking Z Cavs in about 25 years though. Kudos on keeping the dream alive.

#3561 8 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Here's the scene from the movie;
» YouTube video
Later,
EV

I will have to watch that.

I thought he was seriously defending Huey Lewis.

#3562 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You are basically asking 'what do you get from mutual respect'
If you want to be an ass.. over and over.. in your own thread. Go ahead.

Nice comeback. Your rebuttal is shallow and juvenile.

Lose_(resized).jpgLose_(resized).jpg

#3563 8 years ago

Please stop with the negative back n forth exchanges guys. If you want to discuss this further please move it to PM.

#3564 8 years ago

Okay so I was talking with a friend last night about how this really would have been a great title to start the LCD thing with, I explained to him the talk on here that's gone on about it, and he says this "You don't think Stern might allow you to upgrade to an LCD later on, as an add on?" We discussed the logistics there and I said I didn't think they'd want to reprogram the animations for a new display but he seemed to think it would be easier than I was imagining it.

So now it has me thinking...IS it feasible that Stern could allow us to retrofit our Ghostbuster machines with an LCD? It seems like Spike is a very modular system that comes together via cat5 cable. Could the MPU just be throwing out "triggers" that would signal a prompt for something, and then the display handles the animations on it's end? Like say prompt "A-1" is "game start", and depending on what display is installed, it interprets it and displays the content tied to "A-1"? I honestly have no clue if that's how it works but if so, they'd have a chance to offer LCD on every Spike game in the same fashion. And if a dragon topper for GoT is $500, can you imagine how much they would charge for an LCD kit?

#3565 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Speaking very generally, guys tend to be more nostalgic about the things they grew up with. Women, on the other hand, tend to be more embarrassed by trends or fads they enjoyed when they were young.

But she still likes collecting dolls. Last week she could not wait to tell me about the new modern Barbie dolls coming out. As if I was going to buy her them over a 20-pack of scotch bright pads.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

...and even my beloved Z Cavaricci's. ...

(doesn't make eye contact as he backs away slowly)

I love this thread. IBTB.

#3566 8 years ago
Quoted from brettybluevein:

Okay so I was talking a friend last night about how this really would have been a great title to start the LCD thing with, I explained to him the talk on here that's gone on about it, and he says this "You don't think Stern might allow you to upgrade to an LCD later on, as an add on?" We discussed the logistics there and I said I didn't think they'd want to reprogram the animations for a new display but he seemed to think it would be easier than I was imagining it.
So now it has me thinking...IS it feasible that Stern could allow us to retrofit our Ghostbuster machines with an LCD? It seems like Spike is a very modular system that comes together via cat5 cable. Could the MPU just be throwing out "triggers" that would signal a prompt for something, and then the display handles the animations on it's end? Like say prompt "A-1" is "game start", and depending on what display is installed, it interprets it and displays the content tied to "A-1"? I honestly have no clue if that's how it works but if so, they'd have a chance to offer LCD on every Spike game in the same fashion. And if a dragon topper for GoT is $500, can you imagine how much they would charge for an LCD kit?

I'm clueless on the technical side, however, I feel as if your friend is correct about it being easier than you think to repurpose the animations. Especially since I believe Stern already started programing the DMD dots using 3D imaging recently anyway (at least, I think I remember seeing that in a behind-the-scenes for the KISS release). So they've actually killed two birds with one stone, and have potentially been working on this repurposing idea for a few years now.

So I'd guess as soon as their first LCD hits, we'll be seeing LCD kits for past pins as a regular thing they'll be promoting in between their new pin announcements.

(Actually, someone's probably speculated what I just said already. I'd like to read up more about the whole LCD landscape. Can someone point me to thread where it's been discussed more thoroughly?)

#3567 8 years ago

Complete devil's advocate here:
What does Robin and Pinside get out of a good relationship with Stern?

Considering Stern doesn't support an active presence here from their employees this is a really good question. What happens if pics are posted? Stern stops posting here? Stern stops sending checks to Robin? Stern stops making official announcements on Pinside? None of that happens as it is, so my money is on threat of a lawsuit... that's the relationship.

#3568 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Considering Stern doesn't support an active presence here from their employees this is a really good question. What happens if pics are posted? Stern stops posting here? Stern stops sending checks to Robin? Stern stops making official announcements on Pinside? None of that happens as it is, so my money is on threat of a lawsuit... that's the relationship.

Best response so far.

#3569 8 years ago
Quoted from BangBackula:

I haven't seen anyone rocking Z Cavs in about 25 years though. Kudos on keeping the dream alive.

Z Cav's are boss with my kicks.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3570 8 years ago

Complete devil's advocate here:
What does Robin and Pinside get out of a good relationship with Stern?

playing devil's advocate..
I would contend that making Pinside a hostile environment for pinball manufacturers isn't good for anyone.
(The site, players, manufacturers, etc.) .. and sharing leaked photos and other intellectual property openly (including descriptive - "i've seen it" - details) doesn't exactly make Pinside a less hostile place for them. Why would the number 1 pinball community / site on the web want to position itself to be openly hostile towards the small handful of businesses actually making pins we love? What benefit does that do anyone?

(..and yep, I'm a hypocrite in this line of reasoning because I jumped right over and looked at those pics too.)

Quoted from Baiter:

I'll be foolishly altruistic and say that maybe there is an underlying hope that if we were collectively less-dickish to the manufacturers, they would consider coming back here and engaging (directly) again. Right now, it seems they really can't do anything to satiate the mob. They'll get crucified by art styles, perceived missing features and / or code, not being cheap enough but not being built sturdy enough or by not shipping on time or by not including the voice talent we want or.....

But yeah, maybe somebody lawyered up, who knows. It was interesting how quickly everything disappeared from instagram, reddit, etc. Somebody spent some time (trying to) remove those posts, so I guess they weren't ready for us to see yet.

#3571 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Considering Stern doesn't support an active presence here from their employees this is a really good question.

I think they are trying to change that - case in point, Dwight has been doing an awesome job of ACTIVELY watching the GOT threads and being responsive to issues, bugs, etc. Granted he is just one person, but it's a good start.

#3572 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I will have to watch that.
I thought he was seriously defending Huey Lewis.

It's definitely a "unique" movie. Very violent, but a good critique on aspects of the 80's. Speaking of which, once you've watched the original clip, you've now got to watch this;

Later,
EV

#3573 8 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

It's definitely a "unique" movie. Very violent, but a good critique on aspects of the 80's. Speaking of which, one you see the original clip, you've now got to watch this;
» YouTube video
Later,
EV

Awesome!!! Great in so many ways. A lot of great detail in keeping with the original. Position, pill bottle. . . Great that Huey did this. Good to see Al still on the top of his parody game.

Except it was not a black tile floor but a white carpet. I kept saying to myself during the real clip there is no way a few newspapers will keep a white carpet from getting soaked with blood when that axe drops.

#3574 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I had Ghostbuster on the TV this weekend. The girlfriend walks in, sees it and goes -
"Oh Wow, Ghostbuster! I used to love them. I used to even had a Slimer pillow doll. I loved the cartoon" . . . bla bla bla (and kept yammering on like she does)
So when I said to her "hey there making a GB pinball machine, should I get one?"
She gives me a sour look and says - "I said liked. Like when I was a kid." and walks out of the room.

You mean ex-girlfriend, right?

#3575 8 years ago

When you see that there are 100+ new posts and the thread is on fire...

gb_hope_(resized).jpggb_hope_(resized).jpg

After you read them and it's all off topic, thread ejects, bickering, etc...

gb_despair_(resized).jpggb_despair_(resized).jpg

#3576 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I wonder if Huey Lewis is excited about potentially more licensing money coming his way since Ray Parker Jr. took the baseline from "I Want a New Drug" for the Ghostbusters song. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(song)
I like Huey Lewis and the News.
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.
In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Saw these guys a couple of weeks ago and I must say its the best show I have ever seen by any band. Im a huge fan and flew from Australia to see them in New Zealand... I for one would love to see either a new Back to the future pinball or Huey Lewis and the news or a combo of both with Huey lewis involved in a new BTTF pinball... COOL IS THE RULE !
https://www.facebook.com/john.power.75/videos/1086423491421934/

12662654_1086280221436261_3949283702106266069_n_(resized).jpg12662654_1086280221436261_3949283702106266069_n_(resized).jpg
12654305_1086280518102898_3285136239776049229_n_(resized).jpg12654305_1086280518102898_3285136239776049229_n_(resized).jpg
12654305_1086280401436243_8831259952865307457_n_(resized).jpg12654305_1086280401436243_8831259952865307457_n_(resized).jpg

#3578 8 years ago
Quoted from visi0n:

"...altruistic..."

I had to look this word up, and I'm still not even sure what it means.

Chris

#3579 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

1. Pinside has a policy about it. If people have a problem with that they can discuss pinball elsewhere.

Http://www.publicgames.com

#3580 8 years ago

I don't think they'll sell a lot of these.
It's just been too long since the great Flix came out.
Maybe sell 2,000 units?

#3581 8 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

I had to look this word up, and I'm still not even sure what it means.
Chris

I might have made it up. I do that sometimes.

#3582 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I think they are trying to change that - case in point, Dwight has been doing an awesome job of ACTIVELY watching the GOT threads and being responsive to issues, bugs, etc. Granted he is just one person, but it's a good start.

Dwight does killer work, just look at the last 5 games he was involved in, GOT, ST, POTC, LOTR, TSPP. Lyman is great, but Dwight is just as good in my opinion. If the rumors that he is on GB now are true that makes it much more appealing to me.

#3583 8 years ago

I can't remember, what was this thread about?

#3584 8 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I can't remember, what was this thread about?

90's Americana, American Psycho, the definition of altruism, and continued speculation about the all-female reboot.

#3585 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

... continued speculation about the all-female reboot.

But mostly.... ^^

#3586 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Maybe sell 2,000 units?

Doesn't 2,000 units count as a success? That's actually something I would like to know. How many units must a game sell to be successful? I think MMR is considered a success saleswise because they sold a thousand LEs at a higher price compared to everything else on the market.

#3587 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

You underestimate how beloved Ghostbusters is. When the movies came out is irrelevant.

#3588 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You underestimate how beloved Ghostbusters is. When the movies came out is irrelevant.

Yeah... And I passed on acdc (liked bib, but too expensive), passed on Metallica, wwf (like upper playfield), melons (although I do enjoy it), & Star Trek.

I watched gb lots when came out & then on cable, but for some reason just not "compelled" to buy it. Can't say why.

But did order a GOT.

Can't 'splain it.
Maybe it's like asking a group of people their fav color?

#3589 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Dwight does killer work, just look at the last 5 games he was involved in, GOT, ST, POTC, LOTR, TSPP. Lyman is great, but Dwight is just as good in my opinion. If the rumors that he is on GB now are true that makes it much more appealing to me.

Thanks.

I had no input on what is great about LOTR or TSPP. I do not really remember working on them. If I worked on them at all it was grunt work to help Keith. IMO Keith deserves all credit for everything great about those two.

Also for the record Star Trek (the recent one) was a great game before I did anything to it. If you like ST today its because of Lonnie. All I did was complete visions they had before I arrived.

But I am just as good as Lyman. : -- )

- Dwight

#3590 8 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

- Dwight

I was going to downvote this statement, but that would have given you the wrong impression about what I really think about your work.

#3591 8 years ago
Quoted from Xaqery:

Thanks.
I had no input on what is great about LOTR or TSPP. I do not really remember working on them. If I worked on them at all it was grunt work to help Keith. IMO Keith deserves all credit for everything great about those two.
Also for the record Star Trek (the recent one) was a great game before I did anything to it. If you like ST today its because of Lonnie. All I did was complete visions they had before I arrived.
- Dwight

October 1989, DeVry, right?

#3592 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

She has a point, I grew up with those films but would much rather Stern was making something cooler, Blade Runner or Predator, way better films and themes to be had from the 80's.

I wish they would make more gems on older Classic movies instead of the shit that comes out today. I still have a hard time believing the GB is based off original movie as Stern has never done that before unless of course that's they way the rights were given up.

#3597 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I wish they would make more gems on older Classic movies instead of the shit that comes out today. I still have a hard time believing the GB is based off original movie as Stern has never done that before unless of course that's they way the rights were given up.

Yep, like Gremlins, Warriors, They Live.

#3598 8 years ago

Ghostbusters is like The Goonies for me. I love it, but haven't seen it from beginning to end in years. No denying it's a classic and the theme is perfect for pinball. Hoping they reveal it soon.

#3599 8 years ago
Quoted from brettybluevein:

Okay so I was talking with a friend last night about how this really would have been a great title to start the LCD thing with, I explained to him the talk on here that's gone on about it, and he says this "You don't think Stern might allow you to upgrade to an LCD later on, as an add on?" We discussed the logistics there and I said I didn't think they'd want to reprogram the animations for a new display but he seemed to think it would be easier than I was imagining it.

Why wouldn't Stern just work with Randy @ Color DMD and release it as an accessory? They sell lots of accessories that were originally developed by Mezel and others.

#3600 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Why wouldn't Stern just work with Randy @ Color DMD and release it as an accessory? They sell lots of accessories that were originally developed by Mezel and others.

It would make no sense for Stern to partner with Color DMD from a technical and financial standpoint.

Color DMD works like this...

- Pinball outputs Grey Scale Images
- Color DMD identifies the frames
- Color DMD replaces identified frame with color frame
- Outputs to Color Screen

Stern can just do it like this..
- Pinball outputs Color Images to Color Screen

Generating color originally from the pinball is much easier, less hardware and more cost effective than the way Color DMD works. The only reason for Color DMD as a product is the reinterpretation of the B/W signal to Color, which is only required in existing games that do not (cannot) provide color on their own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.