IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 360.
#1701 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I really don't look at the current Stern model this way. Each theme that is released I treat the Pro and Premium as completely different takes on the same theme. I really like it because at least in the case of TWD and seemingly GOT, both the Pro and the Premium are great games. Also there are the buyers that aren't willing to spend over 6k for a game so those people have another great option for a theme they want.

It hurts that some Pros and LEs are essentially the same and others are vastly different. GOT is scary different. Metallica, WWE, and really all of the rest of the games are very similar in terms of gameplay. I'm hoping they make an awesome Pro like Metallica was, where the playfield is unchanged from the LE and the LE has extras that only diehard fans will want.

#1702 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Wasn't the plot for GB3 used for the 2007 video game? The gameplay was OK but it being GB made it fun and worth playing.

No. GB3 would have involved the Ghostbusters going to hell.

The videogame script was written first by those making the game, and then Aykroyd and Ramis went over it to make it sound more like Ghostbusters by adding in their jargon.

#1703 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Written by Katie Dipold & Paul Feig. Akroyd had nothing to do with the script. And it's not GB3. It's a hard reboot.

Yeah you are correct technically! Dan is the executive producer so I am sure he didn't have any input at all and people understand GB3, simple people like me
I am really looking forward to the pin AND the movie.

#1704 8 years ago

Will the LCD be color or traditional dots that is the big question...like MMR....color dots later at an up charge. Seems very stern like to me.

#1705 8 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

From CES:
Jody Dankberg, director of marketing at Stern Pinball, told me. "This year we’re talking about an LCD display. It will be introduced on the first game after Spider-Man."
Yes!!

Sounds good but did she say what size....like WOZ size or dmd size or in between size?

#1706 8 years ago

Sigourney Weaver... getting her hat trick of pinball machines! Woohoo!!

#1707 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Dan is the executive producer so I am sure he didn't have any input at all.

That's very true in a lot of cases. EP credits are thrown around in many ways.

#1708 8 years ago

Pretty soon we will all be wearing these!

ebay.com link: itm

#1709 8 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Dan is the executive producer so I am sure he didn't have any input at all

Exec producer could be anything. It's an ego tag half the time. Watch the credits at the beginning of a Family Guy episode..about 22 producers of some kind listed.

#1710 8 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Wasn't the plot for GB3 used for the 2007 video game? The gameplay was OK but it being GB made it fun and worth playing.

Yes. Dan Aykroyd has essentially come out and stated that Ghostbusters The Video Game is Ghostbusters 3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_The_Video_Game#cite_note-14

Interesting Wiki read. I've played the game through and while it's not a perfect game, it's a perfect Ghostbusters game. The entire cast returned to do voice work for it including characters from GB2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_The_Video_Game

#1711 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Exec producer could be anything. It's an ego tag half the time. Watch the credits at the beginning of a Family Guy episode..about 22 producers of some kind listed.

They're the writers...on sitcoms, writers get producer credit after a certain amount of seasons.

#1712 8 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

this is mos def good news..... BUT will this drive the MSRP even higher up and into the stratosphere??

Because it's Stern and because: http://sternpinball.com/games/spider-man-vault/spider-man-vault

While we can hope the price won't go up, I think most of us know the reality and are bracing for the sticker-shock.

Chris

#1713 8 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

Because it's Stern and because: http://sternpinball.com/games/spider-man-vault/spider-man-vault
While we can hope the price won't go up, I think most of us know the reality and are bracing for the sticker-shock.
Chris

SM Vault is priced in line with other Stern Premium products & has "beyond Pro" stuff like blinged armor, shaker and metal apron/rails.

A display is just a display. If anything Stern has to do it as every single rival has. It just makes their product look better - they don't have to "punish" the customer over it. Again, an LCDs cost less than DMD and artists are paid the same either way. It shouldn't affect the price points of the 3 tiers.

#1714 8 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Yes. Dan Aykroyd has essentially come out and stated that Ghostbusters The Video Game is Ghostbusters 3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_The_Video_Game#cite_note-14
Interesting Wiki read. I've played the game through and while it's not a perfect game, it's a perfect Ghostbusters game. The entire cast returned to do voice work for it including characters from GB2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters:_The_Video_Game

The amount of actors from the original films that did voice work for Ghostbusters The Video Game, including Bill Murray, makes be believe that Stern had to of at least gotten Dan Aykroyd to do custom call outs for the game.

Maybe a bottle of Crystal Skull Vodka will come with every LE? haha

9695477-large_(resized).jpg9695477-large_(resized).jpg

#1715 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Pretty soon we will all be wearing these!
ebay.com link

Dang....those things look pretty good.

#1716 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The amount of actors from the original films that did voice work for Ghostbusters The Video Game, including Bill Murray, makes be believe that Stern had to of at least gotten Dan Aykroyd to do custom call outs for the game.

Depends on the actors' willingness to do it and be good sports. If they (Weaver / Ackroyd / Murray) ask for their market fee, or even a quarter of it, there's no way any pinball maker is going to pay that.

Maybe one or some will do it gratis, for a nominal fee, or quid pro quo for a machine. Maybe not.

#1717 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Depends on the actors' willingness to do it and be good sports. If they (Weaver / Ackroyd / Murray) ask for their market fee, or even a quarter of it, there's no way any pinball maker is going to pay that.
Maybe one or some will do it gratis, for a nominal fee, or quid pro quo for a machine. Maybe not.

From what I've heard over the years Dan Aykroyd loves Ghostbusters, heck he helped create it, and has often done anything to promote the franchise over the years. I think he would jump (with some cash of course) to do custom callouts on a Ghostbusters pinball machine that will be around for decades to come. I'm sure hiring Dan Aykroyd still isn't cheap but having one or more of the original actors in the game do custom callouts will only result in more sales for the game.

#1718 8 years ago

I can absolutely see Aykroyd doing custom callouts, and that would be f-ing amaze-balls. I really enjoyed the video game because everyone came back. It really was Ghostbusters 3.

#1719 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

SM Vault is priced in line with other Stern Premium products & has "beyond Pro" stuff like blinged armor, shaker and metal apron/rails.
A display is just a display. If anything Stern has to do it as every single rival has. It just makes their product look better - they don't have to "punish" the customer over it. Again, an LCDs cost less than DMD and artists are paid the same either way. It shouldn't affect the price points of the 3 tiers.

I like what they did with the SMvE, but I guess I have a hard time seeing where the extra cost of the machine is justified (even with what you listed). With that being said, I only know what I see and read here, so... I don't know much.

I agree with you on the LCD thing. LCD's are EVERYWHERE and they come in ANY size someone needs. So here's to hoping Stern executes it well and the consumers don't get hosed over it.

Chris

#1720 8 years ago

I purchased my SM NIB for $4500 including shaker and shipping and tax.:. Now $7500?? $3000 price increase for new art, sculpted toys and sound FX... Seems a bit greedy, no? I can't imagine thir cost has gone up more than $1000 when using old code and playfield. I would think their cost has actually gone down. Why not just offer new code and a translite for $1000? Bad move IMO. Bring on GB and let this one die.

#1721 8 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

I like what they did with the SMvE, but I guess I have a hard time seeing where the extra cost of the machine is justified (even with what you listed). With that being said, I only know what I see and read here, so... I don't know much.

Oh I don't think it's justified - but I can see the rationale behind it and how it fits in with their current product line

#1722 8 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

I purchased my SM NIB for $4500 including shaker and shipping and tax.:. Now $7500?? $3000 price increase for new art, sculpted toys and sound FX... Seems a bit greedy, no? I can't imagine thir cost has gone up more than $1000 when using old code and playfield. I would think their cost has actually gone down. Why not just offer new code and a translite for $1000? Bad move IMO. Bring on GB and let this one die.

You are comparing the price you paid to a price no one is paying.( in the USA anyway)
Please stop using the $7500 as an example people.
The price increase is $2000 not $3000.
Not that that will make you feel any better.

#1723 8 years ago

The only thing worse than the Ghostbusters reboot, is when they tried to reboot the Honeymooners a few years ago.

510A96XMH0L_(resized).jpg510A96XMH0L_(resized).jpg

#1724 8 years ago

Jody Dankberg had confirmed the first game after Spider-Man would have an LCD in the Polygon.com article.
Stern then later retracts his statement and says No LCD on next title.
Can't imagine Jody would make that large of a mistake as he knows what game will be first.
Back to a Stay Tuned status

#1725 8 years ago

GB the video game for PS3 was awesome. Both story wise and gameplay but it was very buggy. Still good either way. I love this franchise, grew up with it as many others did.

A Ghostbusters pin is my ultimate dream pin but I'm afraid It will start in the €6k range here. I might afford a Pro option if I really wanted to but to be honest, NIB pins isn't a reality for me. Especially considering I had to get a limited when it's GB.

Sigh...wish it hade come out in 90/91 as an early DMD pin.

#1726 8 years ago

For me I am not that bothered as a LCD would be nice but if it keeps the price down on GB then I am happy for a DMD - sort of suits the old movie - which I think some one else said a few pages back.

#1727 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Actually I was told by Stern's Dave Peterson when TWD debuted in Amsterdam that if they would be doing an LCD on games, they would also have to take an extra license for the video rights and likeness rights of actors pictured and such. Those fees may still be less than what the difference in costs is between a dmd and an LCD, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'll see a markup anyway. apparently there's also more labor involved in video than dots...

#1728 8 years ago

Am i the only one who likes "old" stuff like this?

MedievalMadnessDMD_(resized).pngMedievalMadnessDMD_(resized).png

CircusVoltaireDMD_(resized).pngCircusVoltaireDMD_(resized).png

#1729 8 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

For me I am not that bothered as a LCD would be nice but if it keeps the price down on GB then I am happy for a DMD - sort of suits the old movie - which I think some one else said a few pages back.

I think most of the people that don't mind of stern keep pumping out DmD machines haven't properly played woz. There is way too much info they need to show on the screen in that game. Can you imagine GoT with a big LCD. You can see each house progress..
Games are too complicated today to have a tiny DmD. Plus they are ugly

#1730 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I think most of the people that don't mind of stern keep pumping out DmD machines haven't properly played woz. There is way too much info they need to show on the screen in that game. Can you imagine GoT with a big LCD. You can see each house progress..
Games are too complicated today to have a tiny DmD. Plus they are ugly

don't get me wrong I would love it to have a dmd as it is going to be a sweet game but if it isn't ready for a lcd so be it, it is one of my dream themes and plus I would rather pay around the low $8k instead of in the $12 for a Woz. There isn't $4k value in the screen as you play the playfield. In saying that Woz is very impressive with the use of the screen. In the end it is just a speculation thread with some small facts thrown in here and there.

#1731 8 years ago

I'd prefer a smaller LCD (Woz looks like those advert screens installed in any airport toilet in the world) over high voltage crap anyday. But I'd still prefer a retro pixel graphics look over 32-bit video stripped right out the movie. That would be lazy.

Anyone that played Shovel Knight knows what I'm talking about.

#1732 8 years ago

When the LCDs come out, you just know someone will be selling red DMD conversion kits

#1733 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Again, an LCDs cost less than DMD and artists are paid the same either way. It shouldn't affect the price points of the 3 tiers.

And what about the time necessary to do the better graphics and animation? Or what about the sound production that is going to have to go with that video? Are we really trying to say full production video integration is just the same as animated sequence integration?

Or like we've seen JJP have to tackle.. trying to integrated/repurpose original video content into pinball-related content.

None of this is as simple or cheap as DMD dots. We have multiple examples of this.. from Pin2k's designers.. to JJP now. We know this takes more time, more people, more resources.

It takes a lot more of.. the most expensive resource... skilled artists/creators. That is increased development costs and time... sunk into each title that is hard to repurpose or reuse.

#1734 8 years ago

I think most people are stuck in the mindset that we are going to see a JJP like LCD.

This new tilted display cabinet is designed around the viewing angle of an lcd. It's going to be very similar to color dmd with occastional fmv clips.

#1735 8 years ago

Correction: A Stern Pinball representative contacted Polygon to say that the LCD display would be announced later in 2016, but that it won't be in the first machine after Spider-Man, contrary to Dankberg's comment.

Red dots for GB. I'm not surprised.

#1736 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Correction: A Stern Pinball representative contacted Polygon to say that the LCD display would be announced later in 2016, but that it won't be in the first machine after Spider-Man, contrary to Dankberg's comment.
Red dots for GB. I'm not surprised.

I'm still hearing LCD for Ghostbusters. They're are really trying to have it ready for Ghostbusters. I think they are hedging their bets with press clarification. Can only be a positive surprise that way.

#1737 8 years ago

For me, a supplemental playfield LCD would be much appreciated even if the main display was not LCD

#1738 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm still hearing LCD for Ghostbusters. They're are really trying to have it ready for Ghostbusters. I think they are hedging their bets with press clarification. Can only be a positive surprise that way.

It would be great but I'm a bit skeptical.

#1739 8 years ago

Who cares if it has a LCD display or not. Everyone will have a million other things to bitch about when/if it's released.

#1740 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

No such thing as really trying...that's a decision that has to be made before coding starts, I would think. Either they're planning on an LCD for GB or not. They can't "try" to get it done, then decide to switch back. Makes no sense. If it's an LCD and it's taking longer than expected, I would expect a delay on GB instead of scrapping the idea entirely.

That said, the leaked translite (if it's the real deal) is the same shape as a normal translite, which would lead me to believe that it's either a DMD display again, or a really small LCD. And what's the point of an LCD screen if it's the same size as a DMD? Not a whole lot you can do visually with a small area like that. I would hope it's a little bigger, like TBL is, at the very least.

#1741 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And what's the point of an LCD screen if it's the same size as a DMD? Not a whole lot you can do visually with a small area like that.

Don't tell that to ColorDMD!

#1742 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would it? LCD panels are cheaper than DMDs. Ripping Ghostbusters movie footage is cheaper than animating tons of dots from scratch. They already have aritsts/animators on salary. That doesn't change as the display does. There should be no price increase, IMO. We've been paying for the SPIKE/Color R&D already as the prices have risen for the past few years.

Com on man, I would expect you to understand this more than most. Hi res animations are a whole other beast and a lot more difficult than dots. This will most certainly add cost to the game. You're not just slapping video clips up there, you are now developing hi res animations for everything else. Much more time consuming.

#1743 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That said, the leaked translite (if it's the real deal) is the same shape as a normal translite, which would lead me to believe that it's either a DMD display again, or a really small LCD. And what's the point of an LCD screen if it's the same size as a DMD?

Don't worry Boobie, its NOT the same size.

Unless something goes wrong again in "testing", GB will have an LCD, a significant change in size and placement and we can put the era of the DMD in the rear view mirror with Stern.

#1744 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

You're not just slapping video clips up there, you are now developing hi res animations for everything else. Much more time consuming.

Ask Keith and JJP how difficult the integration is.

#1745 8 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Com on man, I would expect you to understand this more than most. Hi res animations are a whole other beast and a lot more difficult than dots. This will most certainly add cost to the game. You're not just slapping video clips up there, you are now developing hi res animations for everything else. Much more time consuming.

Depends what the approach is. My expectation for Stern is to approach the display like they always have, but in color. Show the score - then a clip when you hit something. Intro clips for multiball. Back to score. Look at Iron Man, for example. It's mostly score and movie clips. There are a few custom dots of IM shooting the letters or flying thru he scene as a transition - but if all that was done in the same style but HD, it would be similar amount of labor. They could just use a style guide still of IM to shoot or fly, maybe some After FX for shots and explosions. I don't think they're gonna go WOZ or Hobbit on their display.

#1746 8 years ago

I'd settle for a Hi Rez dmd, that seems to me to be the next jump for Stern cuz that's what they are putting into the new MMR so they have experience with these, right.

#1747 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Don't worry Boobie, its NOT the same size.

Hopefully its not a JJP sized LCD. I am hoping its closer to the larger Sega DMD size. Then again, I am partial to LCD displays that size on pins.

#1748 8 years ago

Is anyone hearing the number on how many limited editions there will be?

#1749 8 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Don't tell that to ColorDMD!

Yeah...but they're working with stuff that already exists. Why would you make it the same small size if you have the freedom to make it bigger? (Is what I tell my wife every night...)

#1750 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Why would you make it the same small size if you have the freedom to make it bigger? (Is what I tell my wife every night...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
15,699 (OBO)
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.