IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 360.
#10602 8 years ago

I'm content with Sterns pricing model with respect to the different tiers like good, better, best(Pro, Premium, LE) and I can't imagine them changing to a one size fits all. If they tried just one model and it was priced in the middle, the upper end would be unhappy and the Pro buyers might just be out of the market which if I understand from reading other posts is mostly operators. I don't know what else would work, only that I like what they have now.

Now, as a consumer, I don't care for the way they have done business limiting discounts for us and increasing my buy price. I might feel different if I were a large distributor(who just got a nice raise), but since I'm not, I'll stick to my position on the matter. If Stern has approved distributors who don't have any over head and can sell cheaper, lets not punish the end consumer for those decisions. One just needs to look at the posts from people in Australia to realized this is not a good road to go down for consumers. In my line of work, we do not dare talk pricing with our competitors, and the manufacture doesn't dare do it with us. This is not my area, but I think Sterns move may be some sort of Retail Price Maintenance(RPM) or at least that's how they see it. Seems as thought there is a fine line between that and price fixing. Either way, I'm a fan of Stern, just not of this pricing move. I also don't think this move is good for the little guy in the long run. All things being equal(this is just for example), unless you have a long standing relationship with a distro, why do business with someone who is small, has limited inventory, and you may have a higher risk of exposure if the pricing is all the same. I normally support my local business and route for the smaller guys. Its where I came from so its in my nature I suppose. Sorry the rant, back to GB

#10603 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

JT's comment "Nothing much was developed past the rudimentary stages" doesn't sound like the proton beams will be anything that's available aftermarket. There would also have to be code developed for them.

Agreed. I think the rumor of a mod has been put to rest. Mezelmods is not working on it and clearly Stern is not based on the article. Seems like the holes were left in the playfield (last I knew), so I guess it provides some an avenue for some home brew creativity -- without any code to support though

#10604 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The new agreements from Stern came out after the initial info package about Ghostbusters to Distributors.. which is part of the mess. Distros had deal with changing information...

I know that....I was just saying how much I payed for my Pro. I've been on PS as long as you have, I'm not new at this ya know.

#10605 8 years ago

Because of Sterns new pricing policy I wonder if the distros will have the "wiggle room" to offer free stuff with a new game to entice us to buy from them over the other guy.

#10606 8 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Maybe I should get a Ghostbusters instead of a Mustang. I called a dealer to get a quote for a Mustang Pro, and got $5495 for NIB, and $5195 for the floor model. Would have figured I could have gotten a better deal being that the game has been out longer than GB.

MAYBE?!?!!!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!

#10607 8 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

What I don't understand is after a distributor purchases games from Stern they should be able to sell them for whatever they want. To me this is price fixing.

sigh... it's not price fixing.

Price fixing is when COMPETITORS conspire to control the price. So, Stern would need to collude with JJP and DP or whoever for it to be price fixing...

I don't feel like googling a proper definition for you, surely you can do that yourself.

#10608 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'll be designing/cnc machining my own protectors for my GBLE

I'll definitely be buying a set from you. Your dirty harry ones were great.

#10609 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can anyone outline what each of the mode objectives are, how they play? Even if you can share the objectives of one or two, it'd be appreciated. For reference, they are:
Back off Man
We Got One
Okay Who Brought the Dog
Spooked Librarian
He Slimed Me
Spook Central
The Ballroom
Gozer the Gozerian
Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Hit the lit shots.

#10610 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

JT's comment "Nothing much was developed past the rudimentary stages" doesn't sound like the proton beams will be anything that's available aftermarket. There would also have to be code developed for them.

I thought I heard on an interview that this still might be considered (I think it was John Trudeau's interview)?

I am not sure but there was talk about it somewhere.

#10611 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The high volume car is much smaller, less powerful, has smaller battery packs, will have significantly less features, etc. That is why it is cheaper. Just like a BMW 3 series is cheaper then a 7 series.. a Mercedes C class cheaper then an S class. The Pro version is cheaper then the Prem/LE for a reason, it doesn't have as many options and bells and whistles. This is why Stern gives the options, if someone wants to only spend $4500-5K - well, have at it- theres a Pro version for you. If someone wants to buy the loaded Premium version, there's the option too. If another guy wants to spend even more to have a limited numbered edition and a couple more features, Stern has that covered as well.
I for one am thankful Stern doesn't sell only a watered down game for $5K to please the people who only want to spend $5K, and they make a better version for people who are cool with spending a little more. Just like Tesla is going to make the Model 3, BMW makes the 3 series, and Mercedes makes the C class. There's something for everyone and their budget, just like what every auto manufacturer does already. I assume most people arguing against how Stern does this is not well versed in business, which is understandable, but I completely get why they do it and I have no problem with it.

BMW's model is a little different than Teslas. Tesla needs the expensive sports car to fund the luxurious sedan, and the sedan to fund the affordable car. Their goal all along was to get to the mass market car. You see, the more people who own electric cars, the better it is for their business. They don't want to be a niche electric car company; they want to fundamentally change how we travel. Big endeavor, especially once you throw in automated driving and supercharger network vs gas stations.

Stern is going for relatively high margin low volume instead of low margin high volume. This is fine cuz you make same profit from selling less machines, but the problem is, you're not really growing your consumer base.

No doubt they make killer margins off the LEs compared to the pros. Their old games are every bit equal to premiums of today but the price went from 4K to 6800 in a very short time.

I really don't want to spend 6800, but man that GB sure looks nice.

#10612 8 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Well get a Pro for under 5k and save 1.8-2k.

#10613 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Hit the lit shots.

Yes, but what are the rules for getting a high score. Are there any nuances to the scoring that make each different (I'm thinking like the asteroid mode on Star Trek, or the Discover Hotel Monolith on Shadow - These aren't your basic hit 5 shots and you win).

#10614 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I might, gotta see the slings and goggles before I decide...

#10615 8 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

BMW's model is a little different than Teslas. Tesla needs the expensive sports car to fund the luxurious sedan, and the sedan to fund the affordable car. Their goal all along was to get to the mass market car. You see, the more people who own electric cars, the better it is for their business. They don't want to be a niche electric car company; they want to fundamentally change how we travel. Big endeavor, especially once you throw in automated driving and supercharger network vs gas stations.
Stern is going for relatively high margin low volume instead of low margin high volume. This is fine cuz you make same profit from selling less machines, but the problem is, you're not really growing your consumer base.
No doubt they make killer margins off the LEs compared to the pros. Their old games are every bit equal to premiums of today but the price went from 4K to 6800 in a very short time.

This is called, Minimum Resale Price Restrictions, it has nothing to do with Stern's margins, they still sell the machine for whatever they want, but the reseller is restricted and cannot fall below a certain retail price, if they do Stern can opt not to sell to them anymore.

In theory, and probably in practice, it protects the distributors who have a "brick and mortar" store, larger sales staff... vs an online site / discount store that has none of that overhead and could undercut the "brick and mortar" store. The issue is the consumer cannot buy that company's "RPM "product for less than a certain value...

#10616 8 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

I might, gotta see the slings and goggles before I decide...

Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm with both of you, this is where I am at the moment... it's odd because the Pro has more going on than my 2 current pins yet after seeing the extras on the premium I feel sucked in, dang it!

#10619 8 years ago

So now instead of calling around to get the best price you call around to get the distributor that offers the game at Minimum Resale Price

Quoted from tiltmonster:

This is called, Minimum Resale Price Restrictions, it has nothing to do with Stern's margins, they still sell the machine for whatever they want, but the reseller is restricted and cannot fall below a certain retail price, if they do Stern can opt not to sell to them anymore.
In theory, and probably in practice, it protects the distributors who have a "brick and mortar" store, larger sales staff... vs an online site / discount store that has none of that overhead and could undercut the "brick and mortar" store. The issue is the consumer cannot buy that company's "RPM "product for less than a certain value...

#10620 8 years ago

I was surprised he doesn't have any games at home. I wonder if that is a: "don't bring work home with me", thing or if Stern picking him up off the street was more towards being accurate than hyperbole. Was he on tough times? (Hope not).

At any rate, nice write up, I'm glad he's designing games and it looks like he is poised to have a mega-hit in this one.

#10621 8 years ago

I just heard that there will be 4....yes 4 GB Pros at the Minneapolis GB Release party. 4 different colors of my Leg Light-Ups will be on the games and one lucky raffle winner will take home his choice of one of the 4 colors from the actual game there. This is going to be the BEST release party in the world.

#10622 8 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

So now instead of calling around to get the best price you call around to get the distributor that offers the game at Minimum Resale Price

I know I can buy from a retailer, delivered and setup for $5,400 on a Pro and a Premium for $7,000. The retailer is buying it from a distributor, and the retailer is making a few bucks too, so my guess is the RPM is probably right around 5k /Pro and 6.5k /Premium.

#10623 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just heard that there will be 4....yes 4 GB Pros at the Minneapolis GB Release party. 4 different colors of my Leg Light-Ups will be on the games and one lucky raffle winner will take home his choice of one of the 4 colors from the actual game there. This is going to be the BEST release party in the world.

Lucky! Pics and videos please!

#10624 8 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I'll be designing/cnc machining my own protectors for my GBLE

Agreed! I'll be doing the same here but this side of the border.

#10625 8 years ago

Regarding plastic protectors, I bought the GoT (sling and return lane) colored protectors from Pinball Life for $24.95. I believe Joe @ Laseriffic made the the Pinball Life and Stern ones. So I guess we are seeing a $5 Stern mark up. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

#10626 8 years ago
Quoted from SkillShot:

Stern is selling more machines now than they have in years, so much so, they had to move their factory. Obviously their customer base is growing, and the company is doing well with the model of business they have developed.

#10627 8 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I believe Joe @ Laseriffic made the the Pinball Life and Stern ones.

and Joe was probably selling them to PBL at a 20% discount so PBL would make a $5 profit so if he made the same deal with Stern then they are making a $10 profit.

#10628 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

and Joe was probably selling them to PBL at a 20% discount so PBL would make a $5 profit so if he made the same deal with Stern then they are making a $10 profit.

I would charge Stern more than Terry @ PL, buts that's just me

#10629 8 years ago

Not to crap on the parade but if you look at the clearcoat reflection in these pics, it doesn't seem very thick, you can see the wood grain... I thought Stern was getting better with their clearcoats...

#10630 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

... I thought Stern was getting better with their clearcoats...

Not on the Pro models.

#10631 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Not to crap on the parade but if you look at the clearcoat reflection in these pics, it doesn't seem very thick, you can see the wood grain... I thought Stern was getting better with their clearcoats...

It varies, I just bought a 2011 NOS Rolling Stones pf from Stern and it's beautiful, head and sholders better then LOTR which is the same year I believe. Or was LOTR 2009?

#10632 8 years ago

LOTR was 2003 - 2005 (3 runs) then in 2009 they put out the 500 SE version.

#10633 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

I thought the same thing.

#10634 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

LOTR was 2003 - 2005 (3 runs) then in 2009 they put out the 500 SE version.

Ah thanks.

#10635 8 years ago

Do they still claim to put more clear on Premium & LE than Pro?

#10636 8 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Do they still claim to put more clear on Premium & LE than Pro?

Now that you mention it, it is not in the feature matrix for the games.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/ghostbusters/premium/Ghostbusters%20Features%20Matrix.pdf

#10637 8 years ago

The clear on my GOT Pro looks incredible.

#10638 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The clear on my GOT Pro looks incredible.

and my Mustang and ST Pros are great too.

#10639 8 years ago

i doubt they put more clear on the pro/premium.

Quoted from kermit24:

Regarding plastic protectors, I bought the GoT (sling and return lane) colored protectors from Pinball Life for $24.95. I believe Joe @ Laseriffic made the the Pinball Life and Stern ones. So I guess we are seeing a $5 Stern mark up. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

GOT plastic protectors included 4 pieces, GB 2 pieces.

#10640 8 years ago

It's also rumored that the LE gets two coats of clear because of the signature not sure if it is true though.

#10641 8 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

It's also rumored that the LE gets two coats of clear because of the signature not sure if it is true though.

this is the reason.

#10642 8 years ago

if you have 1 or 2 clear coats - no difference for dimples

both will look used after 50 games

ST LE TWD pro, all the same

i hope for my GB not to have the insert problems like the GOT`s

#10643 8 years ago

That's true. The matrix does say the designer's signature under hard coat.

#10644 8 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

if you have 1 or 2 clear coats - no difference for dimples
both will look used after 50 games
ST LE TWD pro, all the same
i hope for my GB not to have the insert problems like the GOT`s

I am hoping the decals on my LE won't peel off.

#10645 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I know I can buy from a retailer, delivered and setup for $5,400 on a Pro and a Premium for $7,000. The retailer is buying it from a distributor, and the retailer is making a few bucks too, so my guess is the RPM is probably right around 5k /Pro and 6.5k /Premium.

Prem shipped is $6700 afaik

#10646 8 years ago

JARED ....... video ...... pretty please

#10647 8 years ago

So outside of the price is anyone going to get these plastic protectors? Why are there two colors and which color is going to look the best?

#10648 8 years ago

Still no premium/LE game play video, man I don't think I'm being unreasonable saying this is really dragging, especially with some LE's 'apparently' hitting doorsteps by the end of the month.

I haven't heard from my distro yet about my LE but I know it's just a small shop so I'm sure I'll be closer to #500 than #1

#10649 8 years ago

I get Stern selling mods, but plastic protectors rubs me the wrong way a little. The reason we used to pony up for them is because we had great hobbyists like Pinbits and Orbit making plastic pieces that Stern "forgot" to make. If Stern is now aware plastic protection is something that is needed...just install them on the games at the factory. They've been doing that with scoop/saucer areas and ramps lately...so why not a few plastics? I'm sure there's room on the butyrate sheets for these 2 pieces.

#10650 8 years ago

why they should, there is no competition at the moment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 213 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/213 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.