IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 360.
#10151 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

A pinball is neutral so it's attracted to either polarity.
image_(resized).jpeg

ArcadiusMaximus, why did you thumbs down my picture? This is the way magnets work, a pinball is uncharged so it's attracted to either a negative or positive magnet. A pinball being uncharged is never repelled from a magnet.

#10152 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

The safer bet would have been to stick with the traditional slings, as these magna slings will drive some sales to the pro instead of the premium.

I'm glad Stern's not playing it "safe". They been criticized for years for playing it "safe". They deserve credit for making some bold choices with this game.

#10153 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

ArcadiusMaximus, why did you thumbs down my picture? This is the way magnets work, a pinball is uncharged so it's attracted to either a negative or positive magnet. A pinball being uncharged is never repelled from a magnet.

I thumbed up your post so you're back to neutral. Wouldn't want you to walk around being negative.

Edit: Also, you are correct.

#10154 8 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Here's my understanding.. I think these are set up to "work like traditional slingshots" in the sense that the switch on the rubber is detecting when to fire the slingshot. Only instead of a kicker to push the rubber, the magnet pulses to pull the ball away from the rubber. So in that sense, the magnet probably won't pull the ball except in response to the slingshot switch being hit.
Multiball would definitely be unique as the magnet would pull all balls in its vicinity toward each other.
As I'm in on a premium, I'm personally looking forward to seeing a gameplay video.

What we really want to know is when is Colordmd is coming for Spike games ? lol

#10155 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Calm down, Bernie.

First off, I have no idea how you knew my name was Bernie.....and second.....I am calmer than you will ever know. After over 20 years as a cop, fireman and medic, you learn what is important in life, and it damn sure isn't pinball or playing Dungeons and Dragons in my mother's basement. Pinball is a hobby....therapy...a release don't ya know? lol

#10156 8 years ago

Feel the Burn.

#10157 8 years ago

It's no doubt that these magna slings are intended to NOT replicate traditional slings and I think they look to be a cool novelty. But a novelty that is on 100% the entire game could get old long term in home use. I wish they would have designed a hybrid traditional/magna slinger that could be turned on/off. Can't wait to see them in gameplay action, will be fun for the first 10 or so games I imagine.

Put the LE right ramp on a pro and you have a winner pro. Put pro slingers in an LE and you have a winner LE. Otherwise, it's time to look at what code will do for you. Good thing they have Dwight now

#10158 8 years ago

Stern_(resized).jpgStern_(resized).jpg

#10159 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

I'm disappointed in the magna sling video. I appreciate that some people like it just because it's different and supposedly fits the theme, but even most of those people agree that you would never want it on all of your pins. To me that is an indicator that even those people realize that these are more of a novelty than anything else.
The safer bet would have been to stick with the traditional slings, as these magna slings will drive some sales to the pro instead of the premium.

..and drive some sales from the pro to the premium. I think by definition, we wouldn't want any one game specific feature on all of our pins (TAF Thing, Tron disc, FH Rudy, etc). I think the magnaslings fit the game theme perfectly and I don't care if they ever use them again. I'm glad the feature is in the prem/LE - it adds an element that I don't have on any of my other pins.

#10160 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Cause I like to live dangerously. Plus thats not even how magnets work. ICP said it was a miracle. So don't tax my gig so hardcore, cruster...

#10161 8 years ago
Quoted from Expletive:

I'm disappointed in the magna sling video. I appreciate that some people like it just because it's different and supposedly fits the theme, but even most of those people agree that you would never want it on all of your pins. To me that is an indicator that even those people realize that these are more of a novelty than anything else.

What do traditional slings really add to a game? They mindlessly bounce the ball around. Theres zero control over ball movement with regular slings. The magnetic slings seem far more interesting due to at least offering partial control over movement (by the programmer) and offering unique movement's that traditional slings just can't do.

#10162 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

To -Manimal said:
Precisely...if the code was mature, they would have shown it. Still saying June

Nonsense.

Brilliant reasoning.

#10163 8 years ago

well, i've posted this on the basement section few ago, but quite sure nobody saw it...
as its friday night, forget the slingshots (or not) and party on the dancefloor

this small megamix based on the 2 movies BO

The Bus Boys / Cleanin' Up The Town
Bobby Brown / On Our Own
Alessi / Savin' The Day
New Edition / Supernatural
Doug E. Fresh & The Get Fresh Crew / Spirit
JT Taylor / The Promised Land
Oingo Boingo / Flesh 'N Blood
The Thompson Twins / In The Name Of Love
Ray Parker Jr. / Ghostbusters
Run DMC / Ghostbusters
Bobby Brown / We're Back
The Trammps / Disco Inferno
Elton John / Love Is A Cannibal
Laura Branigan / Hot Night
Glenn Frey / Flip City
Howard Huntsberry / Higher And Higher
(RT 9'57 - from 105 to 150 BPM)

https://soundcloud.com/dj-mxr-the-original/ghost-mix-ters

http://ti1ca.com/xxzxgp34-DJ-MXR-Ghost-mix-ters-DJ_MXR-Ghost-mix-ters.mp3.html

#10164 8 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Brilliant reasoning.

Based on what the Distro's are saying.....yes...it's nonsense that LE's wont ship till June.

#10165 8 years ago

I think I am glad I'm getting a premium will ever nice to wait this thing out see how it plays , because the pro is a blast and if some of the innovative feature aren't going to stand the test of time I can downgrade and save a lot !

#10166 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What do traditional slings really add to a game?

A somewhat predictable mechanism that adds both excitement and danger to a game and can be influenced by nudging.

#10167 8 years ago

Magna slings look like they kill the balls momentum which is the opposite of what slings usually do. Definitely can't say I think they look great, still firmly "wait and see" territory for me. The effect is neat, if it slows the ball down a lot I can see the Prem/LE being easier.

#10168 8 years ago

That video makes me glad I decided to not put my money on a premium and just buy a MMr instead.

It looks like it's cool, but I don't think it would hold its interest and get frustrating in a small collection or work correctly during multiball. And the playfield is gonna take a beating, mylar or not.

It doesn't give me much faith. Because for a game that's in production and all the hype. It's still in in the prototype and coding stage for a major mechanical feature and no actual footage of it working in actual game play has been shown.

But I'm out now anyway. Best of luck to those that are in on Ghostbusters I hope it works out.

#10169 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

A somewhat predictable mechanism that adds both excitement and danger to a game and can be influenced by nudging.

If you want predictability, I suggest Pinball isn't for you. That's the fun of Pinball.

Maybe Mrs. Pac-Man?

#10170 8 years ago

Some cool effects with the slings and can see the need for the second outer in-lane as without them this would be a drain monster.

I am surprised that they say that this is early code, as I would of thought they have been playing the game for a while and be proven before selling out all the LE's. So it is either really behind in coding or a teaser to satisfy the masses here and they are further along than they lead on to be.

#10171 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

That video makes me glad I decided to not put my money on a premium and just buy a MMr instead.
It looks like it's cool, but I don't think it would hold its interest and get frustrating in a small collection or work correctly during multiball. And the playfield is gonna take a beating, mylar or not.
It doesn't give me much faith. Because for a game that's in production and all the hype. It's still in in the prototype and coding stage for a major mechanical feature and no actual footage of it working in actual game play has been shown.
But I'm out now anyway. Best of luck to those that are in on Ghostbusters I hope it works out.

618399_(resized).JPEG618399_(resized).JPEG

#10172 8 years ago

....its just the beginning of what we will see!

#10173 8 years ago

Can't wait for my LE to ship. Variety and new changes are good.

#10174 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

After seeing the same sling movement 50,000 times the excitement disappears, lol.

Traditional slings certainty serve a purpose but these magnetic slings just seem pretty darn slick. Instead of one range of motion with traditional slings the magnetic slings can manipulate the ball in multiple ways and even be programmed to act differently based on what mode a player is in. That all sounds refreshing and exciting.

#10175 8 years ago

I think they look good and will continue to get better with code and implementation. I think we didn't see them in play because they didn't want to show the rest of the LE premium features like the ramp and goggles yet. Hopefully a gameplay video comes soon but I think it's going to be great and a totally fresh take on pinball with the magnets

#10176 8 years ago

If they wanted the sling to replicate a normal sling, they could also use the magnet on the opposite sling to pull the ball across the pf and into the opposite rubber.

#10177 8 years ago

FWIW; I think the magna slings are going to be crazy as F*ck (for the good of all things fun) during multiball.

#10178 8 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

I think they look good and will continue to get better with code and implementation. I think we didn't see them in play because they didn't want to show the rest of the LE premium features like the ramp and goggles yet. Hopefully a gameplay video comes soon but I think it's going to be great and a totally fresh take on pinball with the magnets

Exactly. I'm betting that video was shot while the game was in a test mode for the magnetic slings.

#10179 8 years ago

I wonder if multiball cradle whores will have their balls thwarted away from control by the slings?

#10180 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Magna slings look like they kill the balls momentum which is the opposite of what slings usually do.

Will be nice to have a slower more thoughtful game instead the endless speed and in your face action of a game like IM.

#10182 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

ArcadiusMaximus, why did you thumbs down my picture? This is the way magnets work

He is a member of Insane Clown Possee

#10183 8 years ago

It's so funny. Nobody was asking for more randomness in pinball. The amount of randomness was plenty.

Now some game comes out with some wacky slings that throw the ball everywhere and owners are like it's what they were wanting all along.

Say what you want, but more randomness was not wanted before this was announced. If it gets too random, people are going to walk away.

That's why they put flippers in the game so you could control it somewhat. Otherwise is more like gambling.

Might as well just cover the entire playfield with 20 spinning discs. You might win a prize if it lands in a hole.

#10184 8 years ago

What do traditional slings really add to a game? They mindlessly bounce the ball around. Theres zero control over ball movement with regular slings. The magnetic slings seem far more interesting due to at least offering partial control over movement (by the programmer) and offering unique movement's that traditional slings just can't do.

Surprised by this response as it seems obvious what they offer. Traditional slings offer a certain amount of predicability. This will be lacking with magna slings. Again, this should be obvious. If you don't care about having less predictability because you think it's a cool effect that matches the theme, that's fine, but don't act like there are not obvious advantages to the traditional slings.

#10185 8 years ago

What do you think pop bumpers and slings are for? Randomness. Pinball hasn't been about increasing control. The player is given one aspect of control (the flippers) and the rest is a fight against randomness.

#10186 8 years ago

I'm going to make a ton of money with my new GBLE/PRE mod...

Slingshot kicker assemblies!

#10187 8 years ago

This game is fricken Lord of the Slings

#10188 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

What do you think pop bumpers and slings are for? Randomness.

Quoted from Propaganda:

Say what you want, but more randomness was not wanted before this was announced. If it gets too random, people are going to walk away.

Well....hmm...it could be the sweet spot of making it "more random" as compared to other games, but perhaps it will end up just as predictable as slings are now in it's own way.

#10189 8 years ago

I like what I see. The beauty to me:

1) Sling effects can change with modes and even inputs (like flipper button pushes/holds, etc)
2) New effects can be added with software updates

My deposit is staying as-is!

#10190 8 years ago

Yea I am still in on the premium, but the sling action has to and I mean has to be more than what I saw. For those who want innovation, I am with you but they are still supposed to be slings so if they dont act like slings then why even make them slings make them something else

#10191 8 years ago

Looks great, multiball will be hectic, can't wait to see them in gameplay, stern defiantly did something different with these..

#10192 8 years ago

Stern failed to show LE/Premium gameplay

#10193 8 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Stern failed to show LE/Premium gameplay

I never expected a 2 minute video to be gameplay. It was just a "hey look, they're here, they kinda work. We're working on them." than anything else as far as I could see.

#10194 8 years ago

I liked the idea of slings that acted normal for a majority of play but would act up for modes and special moments. To have such sporadic movement (and really slowing down the ball, often bringing it to a complete stop) throughout seems like it could get old. Especially when it causes drains.

#10195 8 years ago

I'm not sure how I feel about the slings but the Pre/LE still looks awesome. Seeing actual game play would help but...

I'm reading post where people say these magnoslings are more random but I see less randomness, the ball gets sucked back into the sling a few times, or loops around the top of the sling or stops and dribbles down to the flippers. perhaps random isn't the correct term but I was thinking this would be more "chaotic" which would fit the theme...

I want to see the pin played with all of the goodies, Ecto Goggles, subway ramp and lock, right ramp shot and the magonslings and then I'll choose and if it doesn't appeal to me I'll go with the Pro, either way it's a win.

#10196 8 years ago

This feature makes me happy to be on a premium. I don't get the hate. Guess people had to find something

#10197 8 years ago
Quoted from CobraClutch:

Especially when it causes drains.

Maybe you are a better pinball player than me, but normal slingshots cause drains for me - I swear some games seem like the slingshot is perfectly aimed at the outlane.

#10198 8 years ago

it's crazy to see the different opinions on slings. The JV buyers are just trying to validate the decision to get the cheaper unit. Innovation is key and that's the beta code basically so skies the limit but I understand how people don't like change. Just be glad you didn't get that kiss machine right???

#10199 8 years ago

I'm going with FAIL on this first video. Especially since they weren't even playing the game.

The worst part is there was ZERO side to side action between the slings.

#10200 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I wonder if multiball cradle whores will have their balls thwarted away from control by the slings?

Good luck cradling with Trudeau's flippers. He angles them narrow as f*ck. It's one of the reasons I love his games so much.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 49.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 103.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 204 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/204 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.