• Premium 425 votes
    45%
  • LE 212 votes
    23%
  • Only if they offer one with the female Ghostbusetrs. 97 votes
    10%

(936 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,803 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pic7 (resized).jpg
pic5 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170602_135331 (resized).jpg
flipper alignment 3 (resized).jpg
gb flipper alignment (resized).jpg
image2 (resized).JPG
IMGA0088 (resized).JPG
IMGA0087 (resized).JPG
terrordogs (resized).jpg
IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 17968 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 360.
#10101 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Most of us have skin in this game.

ya dont say!

Would have never guessed that lol!

#10102 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

ya dont say!
Would have never guessed that lol!

Just rebuking a comment that apparently people who like this game, "fanboys", don't necessarily have skin in the game.

#10103 2 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I'd like to see how they behave with the polarity reversed.

A pinball is neutral so it's attracted to either polarity.
image_(resized).jpeg

#10104 2 years ago

I love the way stern throws around the phrase "early code." I work for a software company and if we demoed our software and told people it was "early code" we would have zero customers. We're quite a forgiving bunch when it comes to this stuff.

#10105 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Putting too much in the game? It all depends on how those features are used.

Exactly what I meant.

Nice try Rai but that graphic doesn't have the vinyl Magnostabalizers® side art anywhere so you're basically playing with a loaded gun

#10106 2 years ago

Here's my understanding.. I think these are set up to "work like traditional slingshots" in the sense that the switch on the rubber is detecting when to fire the slingshot. Only instead of a kicker to push the rubber, the magnet pulses to pull the ball away from the rubber. So in that sense, the magnet probably won't pull the ball except in response to the slingshot switch being hit.

Multiball would definitely be unique as the magnet would pull all balls in its vicinity toward each other.

As I'm in on a premium, I'm personally looking forward to seeing a gameplay video.

#10107 2 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I think these are set up to "work like traditional slingshots" in the sense that the switch on the rubber is detecting when to fire the slingshot. Only instead of a kicker to push the rubber, the magnet fires to pull the ball away from the rubber. So in that sense, the magnet probably won't pull the ball except in response to the slingshot switch being hit.

Yeah we're actually all past that point...I don't think anyone is confused by that

#10108 2 years ago

Every game for what 30 or 40 years have had the same basic slings I see nothing wrong with a new approach and so what if they bounce aroundo a little different I applaud the innovation.

#10109 2 years ago

not sure if this was posted yet, stopped following the thread, but just saw this on stern facebook
magna slings:
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10154095400169244/

#10110 2 years ago

The magna sling demo was a little lackluster, but it showed some great potential. You can do some pretty cool things with a magnet under the PF (see TAF, GNR, WOZ). Wait until they code different pulse patterns. These are unique and I have no doubt they will be awesome. It IS weird not hearing the kickers. As long as they don't eff you with SDTM or outlane drains too much, these will be fantastic. Can't wait to try them out.

#10111 2 years ago

I wanna see the correlation of peoples traditional slings vs magnaslings and lcd vs dmd.... :-p Have to have an lcd to be new age pinball but god forbid we do anything else that pushes the envelope

#10112 2 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I disagree with some others - I know they said "early code", but I'd venture to say that what they've shown is exactly how they are going to work "normally

Yup, and here's why:

What they've got here is basically a chaotic system that's sensitive to initial inputs, so no amount of tweaking is going to 'fix' it.

What has dumbfounded me the most is that Stern seem to have ignored the fact that a lot of people have attempted to do similar things with magnets over the years and everyone has reached the same conclusion, which they've ignored.

Unless you have a known start state (ie ball stopped) or you limit the ball travel afterwards (Shadow), then the 'output' is just going to be random. Think about the ball throws on Shadow, Spiderman and even Thing flips on TAF.

How do I know this? Well....

#10113 2 years ago
Quoted from BangBackula:

That's what I'm hoping for. If they worked like normal slings, but could also do tricks like this, GREAT!!!
I have to wonder why they wouldn't just show them working normally first though.

What you're seeing in this video is pretty much how a magnet would act in a switch test. You're just seeing a generic "quick pulse" rather than an actual programmed effect. While I don't think they'll ever act like real slings, in gameplay I don't think you're going to see that "pull back & drop" effect you're seeing in this test video. Pinball magnets can actually do good fling tricks, such as in The Shadow (flinging it into the Sanctum) and Spider-Man (whipping it back at the player, or flinging it into Doc Ock's saucer).

#10114 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

Yup, and here's why:
What they've got here is basically a chaotic system that's sensitive to initial inputs, so no amount of tweaking is going to 'fix' it.
What has dumbfounded me the most is that Stern seem to have ignored the fact that a lot of people have attempted to do similar things with magnets over the years and everyone has reached the same conclusion, which they've ignored.
Unless you have a known start state (ie ball stopped), then the 'output' is just going to be random. Think about the ball throws on Shadow, Spiderman and even Thing flips on TAF.

There's lots of control that can be implemented. Different lengths and frequency of pulses and hold states would all cause very different action. It seems like in this video that it was multiple short light pulses, which caused the ball to keep getting pulled back, but a faster hard pulse is going to cause a bigger rebound off the rubber and act more like a typical sling. We're also seeing the ball move very slowly here, so velocities will be much different in gameplay.

Standard slings are very unpredictable already. It's not like you always know where the sling is going to send the ball.

#10115 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What you're seeing in this video is pretty much how a magnet would act in a switch test. You're just seeing a generic "quick pulse" rather than an actual programmed effect. While I don't think they'll ever act like real slings, in gameplay I don't think you're going to see that "pull back & drop" effect you're seeing in this test video. Pinball magnets can actually do good fling tricks, such as in The Shadow (flinging it into the Sanctum) and Spider-Man (whipping it back at the player, or flinging it into Doc Ock's saucer).

Let's hope they don't try any tricks that The Shadow uses... I love game, and the effect... but I cant ignore what havoc it does to a playfield over time. I'm sure Stern knows this and wont be a problem, but it would be nice to know what they have implemented as far as protection goes for this feature

shadow44_(resized).jpg

#10116 2 years ago

You miss my point entirely. Because they have no way of knowing the initial inputs, no amount of tweaking/changing pulse length/praying to Cthulu will make this system output reproducible results. With a standard sling, most pinheads can get a feel for where the ball is going to travel afterward. This setup is going to be a crap shoot. You could fix it up a tad by using eddy sensors or the like, but the hardware as it is right now, right next to where the ball drains are, let's just say it's going to cause a lot of frustration.

#10117 2 years ago

Enough about the slings anyone hear from a distro other than Automater to pony up!? Haha

#10118 2 years ago

I've learned that magna slings repel pinballs and people who are grumpy.

#10119 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Enough about the slings anyone hear from a distro other than Automater to pony up!? Haha

Yes.

#10120 2 years ago

LE or pro ?? When did they expect shipping ?

#10121 2 years ago

Wow those magna slings look stupid. Looks like pro it is.

#10122 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think you're getting a generic double quick pulse...the first pulse pulls the ball back, the second pulse is timed so that the ball is behind the magnet when it fires (a second time) and (depending on the angle) this pulls it back towards the sling. Then it repeats when sling is hit again. If you want the ball to shoot off (more or less) like a regular sling then only pulse it once.

#10123 2 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Wow those magna slings look stupid. Looks like pro it is.

Knock yourself out with the jr version.

#10124 2 years ago

Ok the Swami says(my predictions)

1. The Magentic Slings will turn out better than what we have seen so far, but not be able to truly replicate a traditional sling. Some will love it because of the added effects, but some will hate them. They will be very polarizing and the reason some will see the pro is better other than price.

2. The ecto goggles will be a little undwhelming, while cool they will be very small and not look great for all angles. Some decent eye candy but not a must have feature.

3. The moving slimer will be the biggest feature difference, going left to right in addition to up and down will really change the gameplay vs the pro.

4. The right ramp will be another big difference, however not as much as slimer do the the sheer fact the shot wont be hit often as its very tight.

5. The Subway ramp will be a great visual effect, and the scoop will change play a bit. However this wont be seen as a must have feature.

6. The LE's will hold their value but not rise to epic levels because of the magna slings and the fact premiums are available at $1500 less.

#10125 2 years ago

Simple......This is just the beginning of what it can do, and shown only in test!

One way or another, like it or not, this game is going to be one hell of a ride!

#10126 2 years ago

I really need to see how the magna slings work during actual gameplay, but based on that video they look like crap. Hopefully in practice they will work better.

#10127 2 years ago

I hope we get to see some real gameplay soon. If that is how the slings will behave 'normally', then that's pretty depressing. I am all for innovation, but come on man... Once the novelty wears off, that's going to be more annoying than fun, imho. I really don't want to downgrade to a Pro.

#10128 2 years ago

don't forget whatever you will take :pro,prem,LE
The most important is to have fun with your game

#10129 2 years ago

Sounds like early next week we will have GBpro at Alt Brew in Madison.

#10130 2 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Knock yourself out with the jr version.

Out of all of the posted "Hogwash" comments as you call them, this has to be the dumbest. Relax and go find your inner self. There is no "jr" version....there are just those that cost more than others. Time will tell if that was a wise choice or not so far as value is concerned, but to the entertainment factor the games were designed to give, each person has their own taste. Spending a few less dollars does not make anything jr. What makes a true "jr" is elitism and trying to prove your worth by constantly arguing with every point of view that doesn't match yours.

#10131 2 years ago

I'm fine with different. Been looking forward to something like this to shake up the norm.

#10132 2 years ago

Heres the Jr version

ghostbusters_pinball_(resized).jpg

#10133 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Out of all of the posted "Hogwash" comments as you call them, this has to be the dumbest. Relax and go find your inner self. There is no "jr" version....there are just those that cost more than others. Time will tell if that was a wise choice or not so far as value is concerned, but to the entertainment factor the games were designed to give, each person has their own taste. Spending a few less dollars does not make anything jr. What makes a true "jr" is elitism and trying to prove your worth by constantly arguing with every point of view that doesn't match yours.

Calm down, Bernie.

#10134 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Ok the Swami says(my predictions)
1. The Magentic Slings will turn out better than what we have seen so far, but not be able to truly replicate a traditional sling. Some will love it because of the added effects, but some will hate them. They will be very polarizing and the reason some will see the pro is better other than price.
2. The ecto goggles will be a little undwhelming, while cool they will be very small and not look great for all angles. Some decent eye candy but not a must have feature.
3. The moving slimer will be the biggest feature difference, going left to right in addition to up and down will really change the gameplay vs the pro.
4. The right ramp will be another big difference, however not as much as slimer do the the sheer fact the shot wont be hit often as its very tight.
5. The Subway ramp will be a great visual effect, and the scoop will change play a bit. However this wont be seen as a must have feature.
6. The LE's will hold their value but not rise to epic levels because of the magna slings and the fact premiums are available at $1500 less.

#5 is huge compared to the Pro. And #4 goes along with that. I consider the "Ramps" together to be one item that differentiates itself from the Pro.

#10135 2 years ago

The Pro ramps are fine. Nobody who has played it has complained about the ramp much. I kind of like the idea of a shot that rewards you extra for hitting it more cleanly, kind of like a spinner does.

I'm in for an LE, but I don't think people who end up with a Pro have any reason to be disappointed in the difference in feature sets.

#10136 2 years ago

The video either featured multiple pulses or too long of a pulse to replicate normal slings. If you look at the initial movement of the ball before it is pulled back, it seems like a reasonable replication of normal sling behavior. I would prefer the shorter pulses in regular gameplay and the wacky pulses in specific modes.

#10137 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

This setup is going to be a crap shoot. You could fix it up a tad by using eddy sensors or the like, but the hardware as it is right now, right next to where the ball drains are, let's just say it's going to cause a lot of frustration.

I don't think it will be a crapshoot and I think we'll have to see gameplay before determining if we like or dislike the results.

Given a consistent magnetic pulse length I would expect somewhat consistent results given a similar input, ie. speed, angle and where the ball hits the sling.

Just like on a regular sling, playfield pitch, sling rubber, switch sensitivity, etc... all play a part.

Difference is, I expect the results will be opposite of normal. Usually, a ball hitting high on the slingshot will be pushed upwards. With magnets, a ball hitting high on the slingshot will be pulled downwards.

#10138 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The Pro ramps are fine. Nobody who has played it has complained about the ramp much.

I've played it. I was at TPF.

#10139 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

LE or pro ?? When did they expect shipping ?

"Looks good for shipments of Ghostbusters LE to start the end of this month."

#10140 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I hope we get to see some real gameplay soon. If that is how the slings will behave 'normally', then that's pretty depressing. I am all for innovation, but come on man... Once the novelty wears off, that's going to be more annoying than fun, imho. I really don't want to downgrade to a Pro.

traditional slings have gotten stale. I think this will be a nice change up and it fits the theme. You obviously will not want this on EVERY game, but I like it for GB.

#10141 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

traditional slings have gotten stale. I think this will be a nice change up and it fits the theme. You obviously will not want this on EVERY game, but I like it for GB.

I disagree that they have gone stale, but do agree these will be great on this game.

#10142 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

While im looking forward to the gameplay, saying slings have gotten stale is like saying pinballs have gotten stale. BRING ON PINCUBES !

#10143 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I'm not quite sure why people think this is only good for GB but not other games.

If it's a really cool alternative to traditional slings and adds to gameplay, why not use it on other games?

If it significantly detracts from gameplay it would be better if it weren't in GB. They could have used the typical center magnet(s) to mess with the ball in a "ghostly" way.

#10144 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'm not quite sure why people think this is only good for GB but not other games.
If it's a really cool alternative to traditional slings and adds to gameplay, why not use it on other games?
If it significantly detracts from gameplay it would be better if it weren't in GB. They could have used the typical center magnet(s) to mess with the ball in a "ghostly" way.

Not sure if star wars will get mag slings but you can bet that it will have some magnets to represent the force.

#10145 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Yes personally would have liked traditional slings with some magnets in the middle. Best of both worlds .

#10146 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think the slings appear to have the 'potential' to be really cool, fun, and different.

Ha. The "potential." Great stuff

#10147 2 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I am with you man! I like them, if they work out even better than I think they will then put them on ALL games. I just feel like it was a great theme to start with. I know there a ton of traditional folks that will hate it and think the old slings are the only way, but I like to have some different options. Do we really want every pin to play similar?

#10148 2 years ago

I'm disappointed in the magna sling video. I appreciate that some people like it just because it's different and supposedly fits the theme, but even most of those people agree that you would never want it on all of your pins. To me that is an indicator that even those people realize that these are more of a novelty than anything else.

The safer bet would have been to stick with the traditional slings, as these magna slings will drive some sales to the pro instead of the premium.

#10149 2 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Yes personally would have liked traditional slings with some magnets in the middle. Best of both worlds .

that would have been cool too!

#10150 2 years ago

I like what I see so far and believe they will be so cool when the code is more mature,well done stern for using these in ghostbusters,I also would be fine with the pro if I could not get an le or premium.i believe the le will ship in May

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Plastics
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Mequon, WI
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 217.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Meph's Mods
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 17968 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 360.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside