IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 360.
#9601 8 years ago

I talked to one of the Stern guys this weekend and he said there is a delay in getting the interociter parts.

#9602 8 years ago

I don't think anything is 'delayed'. I just think none of the ecto google animations were ready by the time they made the shoot of the Premium/ LE models. Otherwise they wouldn't have taken an 2d artwork snippet off the playfield wich clearly won't featured there as well.

#9603 8 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

This is the biggest departure from traditional pinball gameplay that Stern has taken in 25 years.
When they put LEDs, that was very nice. But, that was not game play.
The departure from traditional slings is a real test to the willingness of traditional players to adapt to a totally new way of playing.
This will be a "wacky" machine where you have to forget everything you do today and learn a new thing.
It likely will be considered an oddity down the road, and not the norm by frequent players.
An oddity that will be tried, consumed, and then rejected in favor of more traditional gameplay that has defined the pinball hobby for years.
In a large collection, or on location, this machine might be a nice diversion. A novelty enjoyed by collectors.
As a first pin, or for someone who does not have a long playing history, it may not bother them.
For long tenure players who think this pinball will play like you've become accustomed to, you are in for a big surprise.
This machine will yank the balls away out of your flippers reach, and play you. The machine will remove your opportunity to hit the ball with your flipper. It will be specifically noticeable during the "main event" in pinball, the multiball.
NOTHING in pinball is available that will feel anything like this machine during multiball.
It may appeal to those who want something different and don't care about regular gameplay.
It will be a very unique machine.

Or, to put it differently: Our newbie friend would probably not even have noticed any difference to traditional slings, apart from some cool tricks the magna slings can do, if he wouldn't have seen the discussion here.

It will most likely have next to no impact on gameplay at all. Slings with kickers are basically "randomizers" meant to provoke unpredictable ball movement. Magnetic slings do exactly the same but will probably be slightly more predictable due to the placement of the magnets.

One of the most basic skills in pinball is to avoid the slings anyway, if they are driven by kickers or magnets won't make a big difference.

But yeah, it's a feature of this one particular pinball machine because it a 100% perfect fit for this theme. It's not meant to be a paradigm-shift that will forever change the way slings work.

#9604 8 years ago

I have a hot tip ss. It has an actual score reel in the base and chimes. The reel fires anytime a point is scored. Because they were afraid of the player being concerned of the sound. So before you buy you new premium to go next to your other premium and new armor and aftermarket speakers. At least someone made the jump to solid state and a sound board. That damn reel draws power from the rest of the game and got disconnected.
I think the magna slings will be awesome and less like a novelty like some of the "features" on premiums lately.
P. S. This thread would be easier to follow without the speculation of why people post what they post.

#9605 8 years ago

I, for one, welcome our new magnetic sling overlords.

#9606 8 years ago

WOW,9399 posts,and the game is 60 days to delivery of the cheap models yet!!!

#9607 8 years ago

For those wondering what they look like under the playfield.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#9608 8 years ago

From the looks of things...It doesn't look like there would be enough room to install traditional slingshot coil assemblies.

#9609 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I have been told weeks until the pro, and June , July until premiums. The cheap ones were sold at Macy's 20 years ago.

#9610 8 years ago

Was just told my ordered Pro just got pushed back til Mid May......What problem have they now discovered.

#9611 8 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Was just told my ordered Pro just got pushed back til Mid May......What problem have they now discovered.

Your distributor give you that info? I doubt they have found an issue, other than having a production backlog. I have said all along it is going to be June/July before the LE's hit the ground in any kind of meaningful numbers.

#9612 8 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Your distributor give you that info? I doubt they have found an issue, other than having a production backlog. I have said all along it is going to be June/July before the LE's hit the ground in any kind of meaningful numbers.

Yep, heard it from my dist!

#9613 8 years ago

My distributor said my LE is pushed back until June 2027, guess those mag slings are a bitch after all!

#9614 8 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

The pinball is nominally magnetism free, but when it is in a magnetic field it moves to that magnet and takes on that magnetic charge polarity (temporarily becomes a magnet). It maintains that polarity as long as it is in contact with that field, but only for a short amount of time after the attracting charge is stopped.
So, if you then reverse the polarity of the magnet before the induced polarity of the pinball collapses, then the pinball would then be pushed away.
This type of pinball action is seen in X-Men LE's magnets.
Robert

Yup and my Avatar LE is a good example of that too. It doesn't just let go of the ball it gets thrown.

#9615 8 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Was told my pros would be here possibly this week. Will update if that changes

#9616 8 years ago

Was told by a distributor this afternoon that early May is when they plan to start receiving them. Hope something didn't happen right after that! Got all stupid excited with it only being a few weeks away... but after reading some of the posts here I'm starting to doubt early May and am now crying.

#9617 8 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Was told by a distributor this afternoon that early May is when they plan to start receiving them. Hope something didn't happen right after that! Got all stupid excited with it only being a few weeks away... but after reading some of the posts here I'm starting to doubt early May and am now crying.

Early may for which model?

#9618 8 years ago

I would rather they be perfectly built and finished code. Stern you take your time on my GBLE I am in no hurry at all

#9619 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I would rather they be perfectly built and finished code. Stern you take your time on my GBLE I am in no hurry at all

Yup! Take your time on my LE too, august is fine, just make it supercool

#9620 8 years ago

Just interested to know with all this magnetic sling concerns with playfield wear. How many games do you think these Shadow, LAH, AF or any other sited/container pins would have had in their life to cause such playfield wear etc? Now I don't think I have that much time left on this planet to rack up that many plays on 'my home use only'' to get close to worry about playfield wear caused by magnets.

If I need to be concerned, then maybe I better sell my sea side home before global warming washes it away. The bloody real estate agent should have warned me about this I guess.

Less scare mongering and more patience and lets see what gives.

#9621 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Was told my pros would be here possibly this week. Will update if that changes

Yes, please update us! My original ship date was April 15, got pushed back till the 29. Now this.

#9622 8 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

image_(resized).png

After seeing all of the LED boards on the underside of the game I wonder why Stern didn't make every insert color changing on the premium / LE. Could Stern have limited the number of color changing inserts to accommodate all of the other toys / features on the game? Keeping the same lighting system across both games may have very well allowed all models to have a good number of features.

#9623 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

After seeing all of the LED boards on the underside of the game I wonder why Stern didn't make every insert color changing on the premium / LE. Could Stern have limited the number of color changing inserts to accommodate all of the other toys / features on the game? Keeping the same lighting system across both games may have very well allowed all models to have a good number of features.

Color changers cost more. This thing's BOM is already high at every level (Pro, Premium). Something had to go.

#9624 8 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Same here but for my Pro, it'll get here when it gets here.

#9625 8 years ago
Quoted from Tseamans:

image_(resized).png

From the pic those magnets look like they are on the outside of the slings. I thought they would be inside so as to drag the ball towards the slings then release...

#9626 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

From the pic those magnets look like they are on the outside of the slings. I thought they would be inside so as to drag the ball towards the slings then release...

No, they pull the ball away from the slings. Also JT said they'll be able to throw the ball up the PF or play catch between the two magnets, couldn't do that if the magnet was under the sling.

#9627 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

No, they pull the ball away from the slings. Also JT said they'll be able to throw the ball up the PF or play catch between the two magnets, couldn't do that if the magnet was under the sling.

I'm pretty sure they could play catch with the ball if the magnet was behind the slings but if they want to throw the ball UP the playfield I imagine the way they have it now is better...

#9628 8 years ago
Quoted from LarryMac:

I talked to one of the Stern guys this weekend and he said there is a delay in getting the interociter parts.

It's the amazing technicolor cheese wedge!

#9629 8 years ago

I agree with slow rolling my Premium on delivery. I want it asap but I want it working right and with the right code. Send out those pro's overseas and let them work out the bugs!!!

#9630 8 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

The magnet won't activate until the ball hits the physical switch at the sling rubber. If the magnet was under the sling it wouldn't be able to kick the ball away from the sling like a mechanical sling would. So the magnet needs to be outside the sling. There could be other times where the slings would activate without the sling switch being hit to do specialized ghost tricks.

#9631 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The magnet won't activate until the ball hits the physical switch at the sling rubber. If the magnet was under the sling it wouldn't be able to kick the ball away from the sling like a mechanical sling would. So the magnet needs to be outside the sling. There could be other times where the slings would activate without the sling switch being hit to do specialized ghost tricks.

The magnet would pulse sucking the ball into the rubber sling and then release, that's how it would "kick" the ball away. Anyways, i'm sure it's better the way they have done it.

#9632 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Makes sense looking at the magnet placements picture earlier in thread. They look close together

#9633 8 years ago
Quoted from Bing_Party:

I agree with slow rolling my Premium on delivery. I want it asap but I want it working right and with the right code. Send out those pro's overseas and let them work out the bugs!!!

It is going to be a while. Latest word is late May until the pros get shipped. June/July on LE's and I am sure premiums will run into August.

#9634 8 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

1/2 the posts are duplicates, the other half is discussing the magnetic slings

Time for a new unboxing thread.

#9635 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

It is going to be a while. Latest word is late May until the pros get shipped. June/July on LE's and I am sure premiums will run into August.

Is Stern taking a page from JJP playbook? Announce a game and wait several months / years?

#9636 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is Stern taking a page from JJP playbook? Announce a game and wait several months / years?

Well, it is for sure looking like months. They got really backed up over the last 6 months and it is starting to show. Stern's strong point was always announcing a game and shipping very soon after. I am hoping they are focusing more on quality product/code and that is the slow down.

#9637 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Color changers cost more. This thing's BOM is already high at every level (Pro, Premium). Something had to go.

What would that increase insert LEDs cost from $0.10 to $0.15? LEDs are so cheap they are basically free.

#9638 8 years ago

It's not the cost of the LEDs, its the programming and support behind them that costs $$

Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

What would that increase insert LEDs cost from $0.10 to $0.15? LEDs are so cheap they are basically free.

#9639 8 years ago

Can't say I'm not disappointed if the delays are true but hopefully it will result in a more finished product.

#9640 8 years ago

ya, the crappy consumer grade ones

#9641 8 years ago

Probably pushing back all the home use games so they can ship the pro's to the release parties.

#9642 8 years ago

I could see that it does look like a lot of distributors are having release party's in the next week or two.

#9643 8 years ago

I can only imagine the backup if they didn't build that new factory

#9644 8 years ago

I have a Pro ordered that my distributor says should arrive on or around April 25/26.

#9645 8 years ago

I don't mind waiting one bit. I suspect Stern jumped the gun somewhat due to

1) leaked photos
2) the game is so damn gorgeous that they suspected it'd soak up some pre-order money and/or pull some people off of other non_Stern games.

I do wonder if this will negative effect games like GOT and SMVE if people were on the fence decide to wait for GB.

#9646 8 years ago

The wait is slow for every game right now, not just Ghostbusters. Stern is literally months behind on some orders. I know people who have been waiting over two months for a Game of Thrones, others have been waiting a very long time for Star Trek or Metallica. Spider-Man is behind. Stern has a lot of games on the line and there are just tons of orders in.

#9647 8 years ago

A bit more than that.

#9648 8 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I'm not hearing that at all.

#9649 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The wait is slow for every game right now, not just Ghostbusters. Stern is literally months behind on some orders. I know people who have been waiting over two months for a Game of Thrones, others have been waiting a very long time for Star Trek or Metallica. Spider-Man is behind. Stern has a lot of games on the line and there are just tons of orders in.

This makes me wonder if 3 new Titles a year is sustainable? Maybe the move affected things a bit..prolly takes awhile to get the kinks worked out I am sure. Someone had mentioned they were waiting for parts from venders on here. Just babbling

#9650 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

I'm not hearing that at all.

insp_captkirk_5__(resized).jpginsp_captkirk_5__(resized).jpg

Saw the pic and just had to

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

15,699 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shorewood, WI
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/193?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.