IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 360.
#7651 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

But if you replace all the captive balls you need four. Three for the left and one for the center.

I quoted someone who specifically said it was a bummer that they weren't sold seperately.

Sure, if you want glo-balls for all the captives in this game, you'll need 4, but maybe some people want to use different colors for different sections. Was still worth a mention.

#7652 8 years ago

Sweet, dark version of My Little Pony looks like the next title from hint on Stern interview..

#7653 8 years ago

Trudeau video interview at Stern is now archived at:
https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/10153996415669244/

Skip to the 4:30 mark for the start of the interview.

#7654 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I think he got into some kind of timed mode where the super stayed lit. GB just has 'super jackpot' shots throughout. Check out the rules that got posted. Cleaning up slime lights a super, cleaning up more slim before the super times out lights it for 2x, etc.

I think it would be more exciting if they gave each multiplication level a different name and sound callout. Ie., Jackpot, Super Jackpot, Mega ..., Mega Super, etc...

I like when you can tell what you're collecting by the sound alone.

#7655 8 years ago

I hope the final reveal of the topper looks better than the current one.

#7656 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Also helps that a good player was playing, everyone on the DF stream was having a hard time with the pin.

That's just it. From what I've seen of the game so far it looks like it can be pretty brutal, especially with the wide flipper gap. This might not be a noob friendly game at all which could impact earnings on location.

Rob

#7657 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

There's actually a "party mode" in CCC that removed flipper hold entirely. It's crazy hard to adapt to.

That's one of the things I really enjoy in WOZ, no-hold flippers as well as reversed flippers, which I believe CCC also has with Drunken multiball. Forces you to adjust VERY quickly.

Now if they could really use those GB magnet slings to lift a cradled ball off a flipper, that would just be amazing!

#7658 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

This might not be a noob friendly game at all which could impact earnings on location.

This is anecdotal of course, but there's a nice easy Scared Stiff next to a TWD at a local bar and noobs still line up to watch 3 balls go STDM from the pop bumpers on TWD. Theme is a hell of a drug.

#7659 8 years ago

Re: the magnet slings, I bet this is one of the features they are trying to code in the most at the moment, because this one feature could either be a make or break it feature for the Prem/LE models. This has to be perfect from the get-go, if its not, then sales could significantly be affected if there is a negative reaction from this massive departure from how a pin plays.

Personally, to be safe, I would have still given the Prem/LE slings a traditional kicker coil setup, but only had the magnets activate during a specific mode or multi ball, where the game can become "haunted" for a short amount of time- kind of like the magnets by the witch in WOZ, or even how the witch can "curse" the flippers and make them weak or unable to hold the ball- that kind of stuff really changes how the game plays, but it isn't on 100% of the time. I really think if I had the choice I would want regular slings as the default and magnets to change the dynamic based on gameplay and progression instead, and give the players an option to disable the magnets in the slings if they don't like it- but thats just me. I think its literally the only feature I am worried about and feel I am gambling with by already committing to an LE. Crossing my fingers on it..

#7660 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I think it would be more exciting if they gave each multiplication level a different name and sound callout. Ie., Jackpot, Super Jackpot, Mega ..., Mega Super, etc...
I like when you can tell what you're collecting by the sound alone.

If they bring in Sauramon to do the callouts this would be perfect.

#7661 8 years ago

Is the LE sold out at from distributors?

#7662 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Personally, to be safe, I would have still given the Prem/LE slings a traditional kicker coil setup, but only had the magnets activate during a specific mode or multi ball

There's no room to put magnets and a sling mech there.

#7663 8 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but I just heard on the live interview stream that proton beams may be an accessory later on.

Yes... He said that the beams will be for sale as a mod through stern... While I love that I can put them in, having stern starting to leave parts out on purpose to pay extra for sucks... But they will get my money cause I want them

#7664 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Can't, Christopher Lee died last year

#7665 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

LOL

I guess it might be easier to just add a 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.. callout in front of the "Super Jackpot". Code is still early, I bet they will have some way to let the player know what the Super Jackpot multiplication level is since it's such a major part of the game.

#7666 8 years ago
Quoted from jay:

There's no room to put magnets and a sling mech there.

I thought that might be the case, its too bad though. I feel the magnets are going to either be a love-it or hate-it feature of the Prem/LE model, so lets just hope they can code these things perfectly out of the gate, fixing any issues with them with code updates later would suck.

#7667 8 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7668 8 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

LOL
I guess it might be easier to just add a 1x, 2x, 3x, etc.. callout in front of the "Super Jackpot". Code is still early, I bet they will have some way to let the player know what the Super Jackpot multiplication level is since it's such a major part of the game.

I hope they add something in like what they have in TWD, where you build up your X multiplier and then roll over it in an outlane, then hit the jackpot and multiply it- and X value builds by how many ghosts you are capturing. Keith Elwin really made the super jackpot look pretty basic and boring by repeatedly hitting the same super jackpot amount over and over again off the same flipper. I know its beta code, just hoping that changes - one of the reasons I love TWD so much is the strategy involved to multiply the shots in modes, and looking up at the DMD to see how big or little that shot was. Nothing like the feeling of hitting a Riot shot with double scoring, just after rolling over your X that you have saved for the right time, with a multi-kill mode running too.

#7669 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I thought that might be the case, its too bad though. I feel the magnets are going to either be a love-it or hate-it feature of the Prem/LE model, so lets just hope they can code these things perfectly out of the gate, fixing any issues with them with code updates later would suck.

Honestly, man, at this point I would drop your LE and wait to get a pro or premium. You seem to post more about your doubts than anything else. Why roll the dice for some green armor if you're that hesitant? Save the money and get some peace of mind and get a premium if everything shakes out well.

#7670 8 years ago

Don't be distracted by what "tricks" a magnetic sling can or might do. That's not the issue. Any discussion about "tricks the magnet can do" avoids the core issue being discussed regarding the slings core function.

Focus on their core function. The function of a "sling" is to put the ball back up the playfield, and possibly into the out lanes to end the ball.

The slings are not really an issue during single ball play. If the game had NO multiball, then it wouldn't be an issue.

But this game has multiball. So here we go...

If the slings are active 100% of the time (required to do their core function), they will impact multiball significantly.

When ANY ball hits EITHER sling, ALL BALLS near the magnets will be thrown in the direction of the "pulse(s)".

That means, balls NOT contacting the slings, NEAR the magnet, will be as if they did hit the sling.

Even if you wanted to use code to turn off the slings during multiball, that would make the slings "dead" plus, no magnet related functions would work at all.

#7671 8 years ago

I like Trudeau as a designer because he's willing to take the risks on new toys. I'm not concerned about them one bit. If the interviews are correct, this was the first thing they tried on the game and left it in as they developed the rest. If it truly made play that much of a negative it would have been scrapped really early in the game's development phase.

People have been complaining about a lack of innovation from the pinball industry for a while now, I'm happy to see them trying new things. They may not work for every game but I think they work perfectly for this theme. The game is haunted!

#7672 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Honestly, man, at this point I would drop your LE and wait to get a pro or premium. You seem to post more about your doubts than anything else. Why roll the dice for some green armor if you're that hesitant? Save the money and get some peace of mind and get a premium if everything shakes out well.

Because I can sell the LE easily if I don't like it. I post my doubts because I have skin in the game with a deposit. Do you have any money down on the game yet? If you did, you would probably be analyzing key details a little more like myself. I am hoping it turns out great, if I am disappointed i'll sell the thing. I just hope it wont come down to that

#7673 8 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

I like Trudeau as a designer because he's willing to take the risks on new toys. I'm not concerned about them one bit. If the interviews are correct, this was the first thing they tried on the game and left it in as they developed the rest. If it truly made play that much of a negative it would have been scrapped really early in the game's development phase.
People have been complaining about a lack of innovation from the pinball industry for a while now, I'm happy to see them trying new things. They may not work for every game but I think they work perfectly for this theme. The game is haunted!

Well said.

#7674 8 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

When ANY ball hits EITHER sling, ALL BALLS near the magnets will be thrown in the direction of the "pulse(s)".

It really depends on the size of the magnet, the length of the pulse, and the distance of the ball to the magnet that activates. A ball near one sling might not be affected be the opposite magnet, we just don't know yet.

Guys, these magnets are going to be more expensive for Stern to implement than kickers. They involve more programming time, much more testing, and probably more material cost. I don't think they would choose to go this route if they didn't feel like they added to the game in a positive manner.

#7675 8 years ago
Quoted from SimonBaird:

...like pop bumpers are a timeless and crucial component to what makes pinball, pinball...

Have you never played Shadow or even No Fear?

Pop bumpers are the most useless waste of space ever on a modern pin. They add nothing at all to gameplay, slow down the pace and use up tons of space which could be used for something that adds to the playing experience.

#7676 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Because I can sell the LE easily if I don't like it. I post my doubts because I have skin in the game with a deposit. Do you have any money down on the game yet? If you did, you would probably be analyzing key details a little more like myself. I am hoping it turns out great, if I am disappointed i'll sell the thing. I just hope it wont come down to that

Fair enough. And yes, I do have money down. I'm in for an LE as well. Given Stern's recent track record, I guess I'm must a bit more optimistic and trusting at this point. They have been hitting some big home runs as of late.

#7677 8 years ago

Interesting stuff about the magnetic slings and how it might affect multiball.

And yes, very innovative and I think ghostbuster is a perfect haunted ghost spirit possession theme for that.

Than again maybe if it was Star Wars I would have said it sounds like the force is strong with this pin and feels like a force push.

We will see, all in due time but I like innovations and so most of the people here who keep asking pinball companies to step up.

They have with artwork, design and 3d goggles and slings.

Look at the lightshow on the pro, can't imagine how they will top that on an LE. Incredible.

#7678 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Fair enough. And yes, I do have money down. I'm in for an LE as well. Given Stern's recent track record, I guess I'm must a bit more optimistic and trusting at this point. They have been hitting some big home runs as of late.

You said it - I have been very happy w/ all the recent Stern's which is why I am totally fine with buying the LE without playing it and making my decision after the fact if it stays or if it goes. I love the theme so much and just want it to play well, it wouldn't be cool to have to part with it because the gameplay sucks and the only reason I like it is because of the theme. I cannot see that happening, and I am probably over analyzing things- I bet it is going to be awesome. Congrats on your LE purchase !

#7679 8 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Have you never played Shadow or even No Fear?
Pop bumpers are the most useless waste of space ever on a modern pin. They add nothing at all to gameplay, slow down the pace and use up tons of space which could be used for something that adds to the playing experience.

I love the features they added to the pops in GOT. And looks like they're applying those same features to GB.

If the code for pops has nothing intriguing about it, yea - waste of space. But if you do stuff like mystery awards ala GOT, or captain America in AV, or diverse code in ACDC pops, or dwarf barrels in TH, or super pops in TF...then pops become interesting and fun!

#7680 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Now if they could really use those GB magnet slings to lift a cradled ball off a flipper, that would just be amazing

Check out this video of Lyman Sheats using the magnet on WCS. (only 28 seconds long)

#7681 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Re: the magnet slings, I bet this is one of the features they are trying to code in the most at the moment, because this one feature could either be a make or break it feature for the Prem/LE models. This has to be perfect from the get-go, if its not, then sales could significantly be affected if there is a negative reaction from this massive departure from how a pin plays.
Personally, to be safe, I would have still given the Prem/LE slings a traditional kicker coil setup, but only had the magnets activate during a specific mode or multi ball, where the game can become "haunted" for a short amount of time- kind of like the magnets by the witch in WOZ, or even how the witch can "curse" the flippers and make them weak or unable to hold the ball- that kind of stuff really changes how the game plays, but it isn't on 100% of the time. I really think if I had the choice I would want regular slings as the default and magnets to change the dynamic based on gameplay and progression instead, and give the players an option to disable the magnets in the slings if they don't like it- but thats just me. I think its literally the only feature I am worried about and feel I am gambling with by already committing to an LE. Crossing my fingers on it..

I doubt there would be room for both mechs.

#7682 8 years ago

Since there is a lot of talk about the slings here , in the interview he said they are "almost " able to act like regular slings . So I guess we shall see

#7683 8 years ago

One if the benefits of Sterns multi-model model ( ) is that they can offer one model with magna slings and another model without. If you don't like how they play, you can buy a Pro. Win win for everyone.

What's exciting is we finally do have some real innovation. I'm more interested in trying the PreLE (and the magna slings), than any previous Stern release.

#7684 8 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

That's one of the things I really enjoy in WOZ, no-hold flippers as well as reversed flippers, which I believe CCC also has with Drunken multiball. Forces you to adjust VERY quickly.
Now if they could really use those GB magnet slings to lift a cradled ball off a flipper, that would just be amazing!

Great idea! That would be cool and would provide a lot of "what the hell?!" moments.

#7685 8 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Also some anti cradling code needs adding.

Ya it's called learn to play better if you are anti cradling.

#7686 8 years ago

I'd like to hear Vigo on a drain.

"Begone, you pitiful half-men"!

#7687 8 years ago

Also on drain.

"Yes it's true. This man has no dick."

#7688 8 years ago

I'm excited to see how the slings play on my LE. May be great, may be terrible, but they'll certainly be unique.

We haven't seen many truly innovative things in pinball, so it's nice to see people tinkering with new ideas. The goggles and slings are definitely going to make this pin feel different than anything else in your lineup. To me, this is a good thing.

#7690 8 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

just have the magnets suck the balls off the cradled flippers.
wow that really sounds wrong.
-c

um-phrasing-thumb_(resized).jpgum-phrasing-thumb_(resized).jpg

#7691 8 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

I'm excited to see how the slings play on my LE. May be great, may be terrible, but they'll certainly be unique.
We haven't seen many truly innovative things in pinball, so it's nice to see people tinkering with new ideas. The goggles and slings are definitely going to make this pin feel different than anything else in your lineup. To me, this is a good thing.

I am rearranging my game room layout just due to this game. This is a machine that needs to be seen due to the exceptional art. I am going to put GB LE and MMR against the wall sideways back to back as they both have great artwork and color. The magnetic slings, googles, etc are a huge bonus and just make me even more motivated to make this pin the focal point in the room. When the ColorDMD is ready this one will be a keeper.

#7692 8 years ago

Any speculation on what the proton beams will do? Maybe a video mode don't cross the stream while collection ghosts on the playfield?

Or maybe during gameplay they move depending on shots and you are not to cross them for some sort of bonus?

Now with it being a possible add-on maybe they just do nothing for gameplay.

#7693 8 years ago

Sucks that we have to buy the proton beams but very cool that games sound like they may be wired and coded for the mod.

#7694 8 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Any speculation on what the proton beams will do? Maybe a video mode don't cross the stream while collection ghosts on the playfield?
Or maybe during gameplay they move depending on shots and you are not to cross them for some sort of bonus?
Now with it being a possible add-on maybe they just do nothing for gameplay.

I don't think they will interact that way with gameplay. Most likely just a cosmetic add-on using EL wire that will pulse or turn on/off with the game modes.

#7695 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I don't think they will interact that way with gameplay. Most likely just a cosmetic add-on using EL wire that will pulse or turn on/off with the game modes.

This.

#7696 8 years ago

The one upside about the beams being an aftermarket mod is it should work with all three models. Guessing if it was included in the core game it would have only been a prem/LE addition.

#7697 8 years ago

Does anyone think they are going to find a way for the magnetic slings to not make the balls stick together during multiball?

I know on other games with magnets under the playfield as one ball is being thrown, and another comes near or in contact they instantly stick together, then one or both balls just kind of drop. As one or the other is thrown by the magnet.

Also will magnet burn on the playfield eventually become an issue. Like the power area on Addams Family.

Just wondering? Like others have said I have to see the prem/LE gameplay. But I think I see a ghostbusters machine in my future either way.

#7698 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Does anyone think they are going to find a way for the magnetic slings to not make the balls stick together during multiball?
I know on other games with magnets under the playfield as one ball is being thrown, and another comes near or in contact they instantly stick together, then one or both balls just kind of drop. As one or the other is thrown by the magnet.
Also will magnet burn on the playfield eventually become an issue. Like the power area on Addams Family.
Just wondering? Like others have said I have to see the prem/LE gameplay. But I think I see a ghostbusters machine in my future either way.

I think magnet burn only happens when they become defective and lock on without letting go. I believe magnets now have fuses to prevent that.

#7699 8 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

Sure, that's one way to look at it but the other side of the coin is pinball 2000... not that either are/were bad ideas but until people see these things in action there should be some concern.
Perhaps regular slings with magnet option could have been implemented as an addition feature disabling the sling's coil when the magnet phase was used. Just a thought...
Either way, I'm counting my change now for one of these pins.

This is what I had hoped for but there is no way they would fit there with the magnet cores. But then if it did suck they could turn it off. I am worried how it will affect multiball as well as just general play.
They way that they appear to be working in general play is that they engage when the sling is hit and throw the ball. I am not sure how the magnets will work if there is a ball near them and it is performing the throw on another, will it pull that ball close to it or throw it off course a little bit? Who knows. Either way I like the pro but have not decided as I want to see the premium.

#7700 8 years ago

Let hope the beams a reasonably priced. If they missed the cut due to R&D they should be cheap. If it was a cost issue they will be pricey.

Wait this is Stern I'm talking about. They will be $299

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

15,699 (OBO)
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/154?hl=ball_shine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.