IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 360.
#6301 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Also, it has Ripley.

Ouch!!

#6303 8 years ago

You could put in a ColorDMD, set it to white, and enjoy before they get around to colorizing it.

True, but the colors on Color DMD are very muddled. Colors on LED DMDs really pop. The blue one on my former Tron looked sick. Same goes for the green one on Avengers Hulk.

#6304 8 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It's like that at the end of the movie as well. Venkman is the only ghostbuster not totally covered with marshmallow goop at the end.

I always thought because he was the one who got slimed and the others didnt.

#6306 8 years ago

The thing is, there was always going to have to be a LAST game with the DMD. Truth is, Ghostbusters doesn't need an LCD to sell gangbusters, especially since everything else about the pin is a home run.
Areosmith, on the other hand, will get a boost from being the FIRST game from Stern with an LCD display.

Maybe that's Stern's rational and part of the reason they went with the DMD on GB. I do agree this game will sell well; the proof is in these threads. And I do agree, the game is a homerun thus far; I'll probably be a buyer at some point.

A lot of us (and I'll include myself), if not all of us question a lot of Stern's motives, but there is a reason they are still in the business and doing well. They must know something...

Chris

#6307 8 years ago
Quoted from OhPinchy:

And yet ANOTHER Stern without a full color display. Get with it Gary. The public wants color. Pretty embarrassing that aftermarket companies make replacement displays for recent machines that should have come from the factory with color. Whats the reason ? First it was they were coming out with a new operating system. They did that and still no color. It cant be the price. My coffee maker has a color display. I don't get it. Other than that this looks like a pretty nice machine.

You know I would have said something similar yet Stern knocked it out of the park in the licensing, artwork, toys and features department with this title.

Sure The Hobbit has an LCD display but I would still take GB premium / LE over it as it has the better shot (far more, plus more unique shots), toy, and licensing (custom callouts from one of the films actors) offering. Everything about Ghostbusters feels very unlike Stern to me. They knocked it out of the park with this title and stepped up their game.

Also, the game does have an LCD, not as a main display of course but one for a very unique interactive toy.

#6308 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

the game does have an LCD

They are going to trickle in lcd's one little wwe, gb title at a time...

#6309 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

True, but the colors on Color DMD are very muddled. Colors on LED DMDs really pop. The blue one on my former Tron looked sick. Same goes for the green one on Avengers Hulk.

Do ColorDMD's work on the SPIKE system? I haven't seen anyone mention using the Sigma single color on KISS or WWE yet.

#6310 8 years ago

http://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-dmd4096hv/

Choose white.

#6311 8 years ago

Hm, I think I'd want a Premium in the Pro cabinet.

#6312 8 years ago

LCD on Star Wars

I'm hoping they scrapped Aerosmith for Led Zepplelin

And Donny artwork. Would be a shame to waste Lyman, Borg and Donny on Aerosmith

Donny ain't doing Aero

#6313 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

LCD on Star Wars
I'm hoping they scrapped Aerosmith for Led Zepplelin
And Donny artwork. Would be a shame to waste Lyman, Borg and Donny on Aerosmith
Donny ain't doing Aero

But he would do Hendrix

#6314 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I dunno, it might be the colouring but I think the left image looks better. Less forehead, eyes not so close together or narrow, cheeks not as exaggerated. It just looks more natural. I think he got it right the first time and someone made him change it.
Comp vs. Production

I think it has a lot to do with his expression... here's a comparison with an actual pic vs the GB translite, looks pretty good to me.. lips are thinner/more accurate on the GB translite.

murray_compare_(resized).jpgmurray_compare_(resized).jpg

#6315 8 years ago

If nothing else, Pinside is good entertainment. It is interesting to watch people bash Stern for their "shortcomings" while Stern continues to develop and deliver pinball machines in good quantities. Overall, my experience with these machines has been pretty much trouble free and I do not see lacking "code" for the most part. What I do see is a company that has weathered the storm of EM to SS and then the video game revolution. They not only made it through the storm, they have built a very nice modern factory and continue move forward.

No, they do not have an LCD screen. Yes, some code may be lacking for some people. Could they do better? Sure? Is any other manufacturer doing better? How long has Hobbit taken since first announced? How about MMR? Think you could start up and build/support a better product? Would you be willing to risk $10M of your own money to start up? Think you could negotiate licensing contracts? Think you could hire quality employees? How about holding it all together and maintaining a quality support network and a supplier network?

The numbers speak for themselves. GB LE is completely sold out. It took less than a day - even those holding out for higher prices sold out under a day. Even older games in excellent condition like TSPP, LOTR, and others bring more money than they sold for new. Stern is doing something right. Furthermore, they bring product to the market that pretty much works right out of the box. It is well tested before it is released. I am sure a color DMD is coming. Don't want a red display? Then don't buy the machine. You will be in the minority.

I have owned quite a few Bally/Williams games along with Monopoly, LOTR, X-Men LE, and TSPP. I have liked every one of them and did not lose a dime on any of them. The fact that they sell used within 5 days of posting them tells me there is demand. As long as there is demand things are actually pretty good.

It is funny that pinball in many ways is the same as General Aviation. Back in the 1960s-early 1990s aviation was on fire. New planes were selling out every year by multiple manufacturers. And then technology (interstate highways, air line deregulation, smart phones, high speed internet) came and slowed down aviation considerably. You no longer needed a plane to visit people due to technology. However, the main players in the game never got out. Cessna and Beechcraft stayed in and continued to build their tried and true product slowly bringing it into the future. They are still here today and are profitable while others come and go with their great ideas leaving people with expensive unsupported aircraft. Likewise, Garmin International has built a wonderful avionics selection and continues to well, but gets the same flaming from pilots claiming that Garmin "does not do enough." Well, if you ever had to deal wit the FAA you would see why they have to hold back. It is not easy to run any business and boutique products like airplanes and pinball are really tough.

So, if you truly hate Stern keep playing your old EMs and Williams games and move on. Griping about Stern is not going to keep one person from buying what they like.

#6316 8 years ago

I'm thinking a Premium with a white LED display and white powder coating would look pretty bad ass. A true Stay Puft edition. Does anyone make a White LED DMD?

I like the idea of a Premium with white powder coated lock-down, siderails, and hinges, but custom shaped siderails by the flipper buttons with marshmallow fingers! "Stay-Puft" lettering cut out on the hinge plates. White legs? Custom painted coin door? Hmmm.

#6317 8 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

I like the idea of a Premium with white powder coated lock-down, siderails, and hinges, but custom shaped siderails by the flipper buttons with marshmallow fingers! "Stay-Puft" lettering cut out on the hinge plates. White legs? Custom painted coin door? Hmmm.

Great minds think alike. Would look slick. I think Id have the side rails hut to look like plasma beams or something else though.

#6318 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Nostalgia is big business nowadays, but I wonder if this is good for long term health. I know 80s movies are like catnip to us, but does that expand the pinball business for long term growth?

Quoted from Tigger64:

Very true.
The best choice would be something that talks to the traditional older pinball generation, but also is a title that millenials have also taken a fondness to. That helps grow pinball.

Quoted from Fifty:

It makes me wonder if my kids will ever know true nostalgia. Every memory they have will be in the form of a reboot or sequel.

??? My kids LOVE the 80's classics!!! (Including Ghostbusters). These movies aren't classic because we were young when they came out....they're classics because they are classic. When my daughter was 13-14 (just a couple years ago) her all time favorite movie was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. They love almost all of John Hugh's films.....Breakfast Club has held up amazingly well and still speaks to teens today. Ghostbusters is a great movie. < period

#6319 8 years ago
Quoted from glasairpilot:

Could they do better? Sure? Is any other manufacturer doing better? How long has Hobbit taken since first announced? How about MMR? Think you could start up and build/support a better product? Would you be willing to risk $10M of your own money to start up?

Agree with much of that, but one correction:

More like "risk $10M of OTHER PEOPLES MONEY."

Part of me is just jealous that they didn't get their shit together (artwork-wise) for GoT
BTW, I LOVE the GoT theme and the game looks like a winner.... just feel the art was a bit of a miss (btw- I feel the same about ACDC- Stern crushed everything EXCEPT the mailed-it-in artwork).

Now I can only hope they work the bugs out of the new LCD display with a throwaway band title before the REAL next big theme, SW.

#6320 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Part of me is just jealous that they didn't get their shit together (artwork-wise) for GoT

Jesus....this is really starting to get old. Yes the art on GB is FANTASTIC....yes GOT's is not great (but it's not repulsive people). That being said you don't play the art....and really don't even notice it when you are playing. Having great art is certainly a plus but if you skipped out on GOT just because of the art....well you are missing out on one of the best playing games that Stern has EVER produced.

#6321 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Agree with much of that, but one correction:
More like "risk $10M of OTHER PEOPLES MONEY."

Now I can only hope they work the bugs out of the new LCD display with a throwaway band title before the REAL next big theme, SW.

Yeah, I agree with you there - but then again, you have to be a good businessman and have a good product to get someone to lend you $10M. I see Stern doing VERY well in the next few years if the economy hangs in there. There are a lot of people with cash in their pockets ready to drop money in these toys. They like the nostalgia and think of the machines somewhat like collector cars.

Unfortunately, with this transition some people get left behind. Prices go up and they can no longer afford to buy new, but there are plenty of good used machines out there for sale.

#6322 8 years ago

You could put in a ColorDMD, set it to white, and enjoy before they get around to colorizing it.

ColorDMD doesn't support spike yet.

#6323 8 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Hm, I think I'd want a Premium in the Pro cabinet.

This would be my 2nd choice after the LE

#6324 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

When my daughter was 13-14 (just a couple years ago) her all time favorite movie was Ferris Bueller's Day Off. They love almost all of John Hugh's films.....Breakfast Club has held up amazingly well and still speaks to teens today. Ghostbusters is a great movie. < period

It's sad to me that there is no, and won't be, a modern Breakfast Club for today's kids. They have to watch ours. Or wait for the remake.

#6325 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's sad to me that there is no, and won't be, a modern Breakfast Club for today's kids. They have to watch ours. Or wait for the remake.

Why would that sadden you? The original one is still great. A modern breakfast club would have them all staring at their phones while in detention. If they could even get detention, in today's precious little snowflake gets a participation medal society.

#6326 8 years ago

Backglass for the Stay puffed edition (sorry Bill....)

Mars_(resized).jpgMars_(resized).jpg

#6327 8 years ago

I hate being late to these parties. Anyone that knows of a Distro with an LE available please take a second and PM me.

#6328 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why would that sadden you? The original one is still great. A modern breakfast club would have them all staring at their phones while in detention. If they could even get detention, in today's precious little snowflake gets a participation medal society.

I'm mostly speaking about how Hollywood will not take chances, so the next John Hughes would never get greenlit for some modern story.

It would be like if the same argument was said in the 80s, that we should be satisfied with the movies from the 50s, because they were great (they were), but every generation needs its own stories.

Hell, we would never have gotten Ghostbusters if the same thinking that is around today was around then.

#6329 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

This is awesome! Where can I order this alternate translite? I am ready to send my money now!

Brad

#6330 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Jesus....this is really starting to get old. Yes the art on GB is FANTASTIC....yes GOT's is not great (but it's not repulsive people). That being said you don't play the art....and really don't even notice it when you are playing. Having great art is certainly a plus but if you skipped out on GOT just because of the art....well you are missing out on one of the best playing games that Stern has EVER produced.

Well said. GOT is frickin amazing. Strategy and speed galore, it will get better too.

#6332 8 years ago

You can say that again!

#6333 8 years ago

So true and well said it's sad that the world is that way

#6334 8 years ago

I will be wearing my Ghost Busters Socks while playing at Allentown!

ghostbusters_socks_(resized).jpgghostbusters_socks_(resized).jpg

#6335 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm mostly speaking about how Hollywood will not take chances, so the next John Hughes would never get greenlit for some modern story.

Ok, so you just want new movies about teen life - not necessarily remakes. That I understand. Too hard to make those these days without offending some vocal group or another. Stereotypes! Sexism! Blah blah blah! We're two steps away from "ow my balls" being all you can do for comedy.

#6336 8 years ago

GOT was my first NIB and I was a little worried I made a mistake, but damn it's good. I have the pro and it may not have the toys but the shot design is near perfect and the code is advanced. I'm still learning more every day about how to approach it.

#6337 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Ok, so you just want new movies about teen life - not necessarily remakes. That I understand. Too hard to make those these days without offending some vocal group or another. Stereotypes! Sexism! Blah blah blah! We're two steps away from "ow my balls" being all you can do for comedy.

Not even that. My balls would be offended.

#6338 8 years ago

How do you guys think the flow will be with the ramp setups? You definitely cannot go left ramp, right ramp combo more than once?

#6339 8 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Mars_(resized).jpg

Nice. This is kind of the "Back To The Future" backglass if Bill would not sign-off.

#6340 8 years ago

OK, in on the premium for sure via Cointaker. I'm gonna have to sell Xmen LE Magneto to make room though. What are they even going for with HUO, very low plays, options and like new condition?

#6341 8 years ago

Tues March 15th Jack Danger playing GB

#6342 8 years ago

Stern just had a live feed with Dwight testing code. Didn't see much but his back...but the Ghostbusters song was playing....

#6344 8 years ago

Stern just had a live feed with Dwight testing code. Didn't see much but his back...but the Ghostbusters song was playing....

Could see him playing the video mode

The BG music sounds nice and clean.. I'd like to hear more movie quotes..

#6345 8 years ago

Who video is up on Stern's Facebook site. You can catch glimpes of the game and DMD.

You can hear a lot!

Go watch it!

#6346 8 years ago

Yup...it looks awesome https://www.facebook.com/search/latest/?q=stern%20pinball . The display is red and orange. The music is great and good to hear again. There were only a few callouts hit, but the sound system was clear and deep.

#6347 8 years ago

Seizure warning is back

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#6348 8 years ago

Oh man, not sure I can handle the Ghostbusters theme forever like that. I knew it was coming.

#6349 8 years ago

No Vigo or the song "Magic" from the original film kinda makes me sad. Don't know how long you can tolerate the original song over and over. Looks amazing tho. Hope the pinball browser guys do some "magic". Get it, magic!

#6350 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Oh man, not sure I can handle the Ghostbusters theme forever like that. I knew it was coming.

i'm thinking the same thing, the song will get old pretty fast. in my case about 1 minute.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 127 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/127?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.