IMG_0575 (resized).JPG
IMG_0574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7147 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7146 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7143 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_7141 (1) (resized).jpg
hqdefault (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 360.
#6251 8 years ago

So with these new Sterns, do you have the ability to change the GI led colors (sockets?) or are they surface mounted? Kind of disappointing to have the traditional white GI light if so.

#6252 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"Price fixing" isn't legal. But, whats Stern is doing isn't price fixing.
Price fixing is when COMPETITORS collude to control pricing.... it's a "horizontal" issue. Its used to un-naturally restrict competition.
Stern setting minimum sales price is a "vertical" issue.

I thought that as far as setting a minimum sales price, that was always MAP (Minimum Advertised Price), and that a manufacturer cannot set a hard minimum sales price for a product from their distributors as that is akin to price-fixing. The difference is that MAP is exactly as it sounds - a distributor cannot post the price anywhere if they go below it, but could still sell the item for whatever price they wanted.

MAP is the reason why you see things on Amazon, retailer sites, etc, that say "Add to cart to see price" - that is all about MAP agreements.

#6253 8 years ago

This may be stupied because I don't know how the system works with pins. But is there any chance that stern themselves were selling to distributors at different prices due to a certain distribtor being able to sell or do more business they would cut them a bit better deal and in return the distribtor was able to offer a much cheaper game and keep the margins in line close to a competing distribtor that had to sell for a bit higher price. Could that be where the confusion is coming from. That Stern is now selling to all distribtors at the same price but distrubtors can charge as the feel. And by the way if it's just that stern set one price and one price only that's what Apple does. The only way and iPad can be cheaper is if the store selling offers an incentive such as a gift card!

#6254 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

I thought that as far as setting a minimum sales price, that was always MAP (Minimum Advertised Price), and that a manufacturer cannot set a hard minimum sales price for a product from their distributors as that is akin to price-fixing.

MAP is different.

See Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., 551 U.S. 877 (2007).

TLDR: vertical price fixing is no longer a per se violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Companies used to get dinged for this all the time (famously, Nintendo). Pretty big shift, certainly made waves in the antitrust community.

#6255 8 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

So with these new Sterns, do you have the ability to change the GI led colors (sockets?) or are they surface mounted? Kind of disappointing to have the traditional white GI light if so.

on recent Sterns the GI is still bulbs. Inserts are little boards.

#6256 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

6 balls on FullT is a great Multiball and really no novelty there. The game is a widebody and plenty of ability to keep things moving and make shots.

6 balls on Baywatch is a heckuva good time too.

#6257 8 years ago
Quoted from anthony691:

MAP is different.
See Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., 551 U.S. 877 (2007).

Thanks, took a look into it. Looks like you also have to look at state laws as well.

It appears many states have actually outlined RPM after this ruling, such as Maryland, so therefore in many states Stern would not be able to have such an agreement with its distributors/dealers. That's gotta be tough, because then you have distributors in one state that can't sell below Stern's price, and one in another state that technically can because of state law. The only fix for that would be for Stern to terminate distributors in those particular states that outlaw RPM, and that would be a horrible business move as well. Thoughts?

#6258 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

6 balls on Mustang is a blast.

Three words: Well of Souls.

#6259 8 years ago

I can't wait to play this at TPF to decide if I want a premium. So many good games coming out (TBL, Hobbit, FT, Aliens, P3) competing for my money.

#6260 8 years ago

This machine looks amazing and hopefully bodes well for future games down the road.

#6261 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've run multiple businesses in my life, and there is always someone willing to be cheaper than you. That is why it's important to not get into that price war.
If I were in the pinball business, I'd not take phone calls and quote prices and nothing else. You'll have no customer loyalty and you'll only sell for peanuts.
We've seen distributors on pinside complain about how they make a lot less than we think, which is probably correct. They should maybe expand their minds and education and learn how to expand their USP (Unique Selling Proposition). Build value and get out of the dog scrap business.
As mentioned, Hemi has this figured out. Kudos to him.

With drop shipping and self-reliant customers... its turned to a commodity market, not a Value-add reseller market. Guys like Pinball Refinery took an angle to differentiate themselves. Some distros actually operate as retailers and actually provide services, etc.

The race to commoditization started when the distributors basically just started selling wholesale to the end-users.

#6262 8 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

I can't wait to play this at TPF to decide if I want a premium. So many good games coming out (TBL, Hobbit, FT, Aliens, P3) competing for my money.

Is it confirmed that there will be a playable GB at TPF? Pro, premium, or both?

#6263 8 years ago

I'm just really happy Stern gave artwork credit to Jeremy

#6264 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Tomatoe / tomato. JK. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I'd prefer to let the businesses themselves figure out how much profit they want to take on each sale and not be mandated, but I can understand STERNs perspective as well and wanting to maintain the value of their product.

It's not about protecting the value of their product as much as trying to protect the viability of the distribution channel. Stern doesn't want to be the direct retailer.. so for that to happen you need a viable business model for distributors. That means they gotta be able to make ends meet selling the product. When people disrupt the economy of things by racing to the bottom... all distributors lose.. and the manufacturer loses when their distributors can't survive or do not offer the services you need them to.

#6265 8 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Thanks, took a look into it. Looks like you also have to look at state laws as well.
It appears many states have actually outlined RPM after this ruling, such as Maryland, so therefore in many states Stern would not be able to have such an agreement with its distributors/dealers. That's gotta be tough, because then you have distributors in one state that can't sell below Stern's price, and one in another state that technically can because of state law. The only fix for that would be for Stern to terminate distributors in those particular states that outlaw RPM, and that would be a horrible business move as well. Thoughts?

That's mostly right. There are a handful of states departing from the Leegin approach with respect to state competition law. Antitrust lawyers are super excited for a potential constitutional challenge---because that's the sort of thing that excites antitrust lawyers.

There are several ways to institute RPM generally without withdrawing from the more restrictive markets.

#6266 8 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

I'm just really happy Stern gave artwork credit to Jeremy

I hope jpop called and congratulated him at least.

#6267 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Is it confirmed that there will be a playable GB at TPF? Pro, premium, or both?

Someone talked to Marco who said they are bringing two games.
Did not say which model, but I would assume Pro.

#6268 8 years ago

d03002bfff87ad440eb27e604a68c63b7248a927_(resized).jpgd03002bfff87ad440eb27e604a68c63b7248a927_(resized).jpg

This is weird. Why is the Bill Murray on the backglass - and the other guys as well - so odd looking when this one is a SPOT ON LIKENESS?

Is it a result of art direction or direction from Sony? Like, they WANTED them kind of derpy looking and ZY was FORCED to do it?

I always found it really weird that the faces were so off when everything else was laser perfect and how Zombie Yeti's work otherwise was always so excellent. It is literally the only thing wrong on this entire game (other than Aurich's lettering thing which is also probably art direction.)

#6269 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

d03002bfff87ad440eb27e604a68c63b7248a927_(resized).jpg
This is weird. Why is the Bill Murray on the backglass - and the other guys as well - so odd looking when this one is a SPOT ON LIKENESS?

Ghost bukkake was rejected.

#6270 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

It is literally the only thing wrong on this entire game (other than Aurich's lettering thing which is also probably art direction.)

Aurich's whinings have no place in this dojo.

He's just jealous that the Ghostbuters playfield is superior to his Alien work.

Also, it has Ripley.

#6271 8 years ago

Enough about the pricing and if its set or not bc if it was supposed to be you all are ruining it yet again talking about prices . Cant we all just be happy that stern put a amazing looking pin out with awesome theme and toys .

#6272 8 years ago

I'm shaking my head at some people on here whining about the DMD. Folks, we have known this since January, when Spider-Man came out. Stern said they are moving to an LCD later this year, but NOT on the next title. And we all knew Ghostbusters was next.

Where's the confusion?

#6274 8 years ago

This game looks amazing. This is the first time I have even considered buying NIB (Monopoly is the most modern pin I've owned).

The Premium looks like it has enough extras to justify the upgrade from the pro, but I'm looking forward to playing them before making a decision.

#6275 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

He's just jealous that the Ghostbuters playfield is superior to his Alien work.

When he first presented it I thought it was "okay" - not amazing or anything but decent enough given the "limitations" he kept talking about. I found it acceptable and was willing to wait for a populated playfield.

Then I saw this playfield and I have to say, it's ten times better in every respect, and makes the whole excuse about how "movie studios won't allow hand drawn art" a giant load of horsepucky.

Sorry Aurich, you've been schooled. And, apparently he's taking a break from Pinside now. I guess he can't take it as good as he gives it.

#6276 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

That image you showed doesn't look like a spot on likeness of Murray to me... I think the GB translite has a better representation, and neither was intended to be photorealistic. Look to GOT LE if you want photorealistic art.

#6277 8 years ago

I'm shaking my head at some people on here whining about the DMD. Folks, we have known this since January, when Spider-Man came out. Stern said they are moving to an LCD later this year, but NOT on the next title. And we all knew Ghostbusters was next.
Where's the confusion?

No confusion. Just because it's old news, doesn't mean we can't mention it.

I think it partly has to do with how shitty that red DMD looks. I know all we have is the prelim pics, but to me it looks like that red display just blends into the backbox. The LE is BURSTING with color; on the playfield, cabinet, and backglass. How much better would a color display compliment this game?? I think most people would've had told Stern to wait on a release if there was ANY chance a color DMD would make it into the game. Anywho...

Nevertheless, it is what it is. Enter Color DMD to make better what Stern failed at.

Chris

#6278 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Ghost bukkake was rejected.

Bill Murray must not approve gunk on his head/face.

You'll notice that Venkman is the only character that doesn't have marshmallow goo on his head/face on the Premium translite:

10287022_10153970279924244_4768387495555884279_o_(resized).jpg10287022_10153970279924244_4768387495555884279_o_(resized).jpg

#6279 8 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

When he first presented it I thought it was "okay" - not amazing or anything but decent enough given the "limitations" he kept talking about. I found it acceptable and was willing to wait for a populated playfield.
Then I saw this playfield and I have to say, it's ten times better in every respect, and makes the whole excuse about how "movie studios won't allow hand drawn art" a giant load of horsepucky.
Sorry Aurich, you've been schooled. And, apparently he's taking a break from Pinside now. I guess he can't take it as good as he gives it.

Nailed it. He was a big celebrity for a while on here, with his string of alternative translites. But with Alien, we see he was in over his head.

The Emperor has no clothes.

#6280 8 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

I think it partly has to do with how shitty that red DMD looks. I know all we have is the prelim pics, but to me it looks like that red display just blends into the backbox. The LE is BURSTING with color; on the playfield, cabinet, and backglass. How much better would a color display compliment this game?? I think most people would've had told Stern to wait on a release if there was ANY chance a color DMD would make it into the game. Anywho...
Nevertheless, it is what it is. Enter Color DMD to make better what Stern failed at.
Chris

The thing is, there was always going to have to be a LAST game with the DMD. Truth is, Ghostbusters doesn't need an LCD to sell gangbusters, especially since everything else about the pin is a home run.

Areosmith, on the other hand, will get a boost from being the FIRST game from Stern with an LCD display.

#6281 8 years ago
Quoted from SideTrackTap:

I think it partly has to do with how shitty that red DMD looks. I know all we have is the prelim pics, but to me it looks like that red display just blends into the backbox.

The colorful artwork does make the red DMD look out of place, similar to alphanumeric displays in 1990.

#6282 8 years ago

Well, I was in until I saw it was just red dots for Ghostbusters. I'm out.

Can't wait to kick Kirk's ass on this game at TPF...

#6283 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That image you showed doesn't look like a spot on likeness of Murray to me... I think the GB translite has a better representation

I dunno, it might be the colouring but I think the left image looks better. Less forehead, eyes not so close together or narrow, cheeks not as exaggerated. It just looks more natural. I think he got it right the first time and someone made him change it.

Comp vs. ProductionComp vs. Production

#6284 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, I was in until I saw it was just red dots for Ghostbusters. I'm out.
Can't wait to kick Kirk's ass on this game at TPF...

You couldn't beat Hillary Clinton at pinball....

#6285 8 years ago

The only thing I have to say is your going to go out with a bang and switch to lcd... Sterns going out with a bang on this title. I ordered a le

#6286 8 years ago

Any one see this? Maybe the first look at game play!

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#6287 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

You'll notice that Venkman is the only character that doesn't have marshmallow goo on his head/face on the Premium translite:
10287022_10153970279924244_4768387495555884279_o_(resized).jpg

In the movie, he was relatively free of marshmallow man crap on his face/head - while the others were covered in it. It's a direct gag from the movie on the translite.

#6288 8 years ago

You couldn't beat Hillary Clinton at pinball....

I know Hillary Clinton...and you, sir, are no Hillary Clinton.

#6289 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know Hillary Clinton...and you, sir, are no Hillary Clinton.

Carnally?

#6290 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

10287022_10153970279924244_4768387495555884279_o_(resized).jpg

It's like that at the end of the movie as well. Venkman is the only ghostbuster not totally covered with marshmallow goop at the end.

#6291 8 years ago

I'm thinking a Premium with a white LED display and white powder coating would look pretty bad ass. A true Stay Puft edition. Does anyone make a White LED DMD?

#6292 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

In the movie, he was relatively free of marshmallow man crap on his face/head - while the others were covered in it. It's a direct gag from the movie on the translite.

Quoted from docquest:

It's like that at the end of the movie as well. Venkman is the only ghostbuster not totally covered with marshmallow goop at the end.

It looks like he definitely had some on his head though, even if he wasn't completely covered like the rest of the guys.

gb-marshmallow.jpggb-marshmallow.jpg

#6293 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

It looks like he definitely had some on his head though, even if he wasn't completely covered like the rest of the guys.
gb-marshmallow.jpg

They couldn't completely cover everybody or they'd be unrecognizable. Still seems like a nod to the movie to me.

#6294 8 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm thinking a Premium with a white LED display and white powder coating would look pretty bad ass. A true Stay Puft edition. Does anyone make a White LED DMD?

You could put in a ColorDMD, set it to white, and enjoy before they get around to colorizing it.

#6295 8 years ago

Where's the confusion?

Have you looked in your freezer?
It's usualy the last place you would look.

#6296 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Have you looked in your freezer?
It's usualy the last place you would look.

I've put lots of Pinsiders on ice......

#6297 8 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

If you watch the first movie, you'll notice he barely has any of the marshmallow man goo on him at the end.

edit: Oh i see someone already posted a pic!

#6298 8 years ago

Anyone looking to drop their place with an LE?
Can't seem to find a distributor with one in stock and the ones I have are price gouging

#6299 8 years ago

I can't wait for the shitty sexy alternate translites to start appearing on Ebay. Maybe we can get one with the new female ghostbusters and one with Bill Murray being slimed.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#6300 8 years ago

I'll be the first ghostbuster le with a headphone kit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

15,699 (OBO)
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 49.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 103.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 17,975 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread/page/126 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.