4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 706 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1441743385773.jpg
    image.jpg
    parking.jpg
    20150731_160744.jpg
    20150731_160739.jpg
    20150731_142312.jpg
    20150731_142309.jpg
    20150731_142301.jpg
    20150731_142259.jpg
    20150802_172036.jpg
    20150802_171321.jpg
    20150802_171201.jpg
    20150802_170900.jpg
    20150802_103425.jpg
    20150802_103134.jpg
    20150801_234045.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 4 years ago

Any tips on cheap flights? I'm doing an Airbnb for hotel. Just got approved for the vacation time at work.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I am so goddamned excited about ReplayFX that I could rip someone's arms off!

Flight booked! I'm spending the whole week out there and making it a mini vacation. I've been to Pittsburgh several times but never really explored it. It's Carnegie town, so I'm going hit some museums and local events. If anyone has advice on the best museums to hit or other sites to see, let me know!

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from sleethering:

The Natural History Museum is a must visit. The collection of gems and minerals is incredible. They do 2 for 1 admission with the art museum and they're attached so you may as well hit both of them. About a 20 min drive from the convention center.
    Definitely check out the Warhol museum if you're a fan of his work. Also, The Mattress Factory is another great contemporary museum focusing on room-sized installation pieces. Those two are downtown, so pretty close to the convention center.

Thanks for the tip. History and Art are definitely my thing so those two will eat a day for sure. I'm staying downtown in an Airbnb about 15 minutes walk south of the convention center. How's the public transportation downtown? Are there options like Uber? If not, how frequent are cabs?

Are there any pre-Pinburgh tourneys lined up? Checked the replayfx site and didn't see anything.

4 weeks later
    #606 3 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'm curious, how do they handle the early solid states? Those are the pins I'm the most interested in at these shows typically, but since they don't have native free play it can be a challenge to play them if someone hasn't set them up for handling that.

For early solid states, one common way to do it is set the replay extremely low. I think on Centaur at PPM it's 10k? Then you just load it up with credits and it's good to go for the day.

#607 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I went to ReplayFX, it was amazing, but come on: if it's being advertised as an event where "all games are all on free play", then it's not so much to ask that all games be on free play. Or have a way to have credits on the machine quickly and painlessly.
    Ugh, did I just feed the troll?
    My impression: B+. I'll have more comments when I'm less inebriated.

There were quite a number of video games that were out of credits. Perhaps for next year they can make door hangers (like DND signs at hotels) that can be hung on the joystick that say "needs credits" or something. Then stick dispensers around the room.

#608 3 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

There were already tons of options for great food downtown literally across the street from the convention center. Including my star of the week, Fernando's Cafe (pizza, subs, and wraps place)

Yeah, even if they could get a food truck, the walk to the truck would be maybe 50 yards less than over a dozen restaurants of all price ranges within a block.

#609 3 years ago
    Quoted from bcrage88:

I have to say that Replay FX was awesome. It must have taken a tremendous effort to pull off this event. Thanks to all of the organizers, it made my long trek from Edmonton so worth it. Couple of things I would like to see is:
    1. Lighting - The round 4/9 and 5/10 games were pretty dark for lighting unless you were playing on the featured bank section.

Yes, lighting late in the day was definitely not sufficient for competition play. Some players do better than others in this regard. I understand it was turned down because in some areas it was causing glare. Hopefully next year some strategic placement will allow for good lighting without any direct overhead glare.

Overall, the tournament was outstanding as usual.

#634 3 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm with flynnibus. What photo? heh. I must have missed the memo.

IIRC it was near the conclusion of the dinner break? I walked back in just as it was being taken.

#658 3 years ago

I spent a whole week in Pittsburgh. Traveled through many times, but never spent much time there. I posted my trip and photos on my site, if you're bored:

http://pinballbayarea.com/2015/08/05/pinburghreplayfx-2015/

I did Airbnb this year and it worked out great. 2 blocks from the 28x airport bus ($3.75) and a 10-minute walk to the show. I made a trip of it and stayed a full week, so I got little discount. It was $70/night. I think for shorter stays it would have been $80/night. Just a basic room in a frat dwelling that was empty cause of summer. Walk through the kitchen to shower and so on. The room had it's own AC unit, and that was clutch before Thursday. The heat and humidity were murder before most of you guys showed up.

My host was super cool and ended up going to the show for two days. Ostensibly he wanted to play the 90's Simpson's video game since that was the game of his youth, but then he got hooked on pinball, since he'd never seen it played the way skilled players do. He said he watched some of the finals and was amazed.

3 weeks later
    #686 3 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

Speaking of more players, what are the thoughts on the Pinburgh entry cap for 2016? Will we see it opened up more, since we did not get 700 even with the wait list? How many would actually show up if it were capped at a much higher number?

As I understand it, the tournament initially sold out but then a lot of spots freed up. 650-ish still breaks all the records as far as I know. Since the venue, banks and format can handle it, I think it's fine. I've never been a fan of the "club line" mentality to create fake scarcity.

ReplayFX will take a few years to build a local rep but I have no doubt it will. Their first year at this new venue went very smooth overall so I think it will only get better.

Back when CAX first started it was tiny and a ghost town. Now it's more crowded than a bingo hall with a $3 steak dinner. More local game collectors will surely get on board and I bet PAPA will also expand their collection. I'm hoping to make this an annual thing.

1 week later
    #697 3 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Wonder if the location will change for 2016? Hope they act on all the feedback from those that participated this year.

I felt the venue was the best of any pinball show I've ever been to! Of course, it's the only east coast show I've ever been to.

My only criticism was that in late rounds of Pinburgh the lights were a little too dark for competition play. GI lighting is too hit or miss and some games were downright dark. Hopefully next year the game placement can be tailored to avoid the glare spots, though I know that's not always easy.

Other than that, I can't imagine better. Tons of game space and tons of chill-out space. Tons of expansion space. Perfect seminar rooms with tiered seating. Amazing views of Pittsburgh and the river. Great restaurants, bars and shops nearby. Access to public trans to see great stuff in Pittsburgh. My hat is so off to the crew on this first event.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 10.95
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 39.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside