Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 706 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FB_IMG_1441743385773.jpg
    image.jpg
    parking.jpg
    20150731_160744.jpg
    20150731_160739.jpg
    20150731_142312.jpg
    20150731_142309.jpg
    20150731_142301.jpg
    20150731_142259.jpg
    20150802_172036.jpg
    20150802_171321.jpg
    20150802_171201.jpg
    20150802_170900.jpg
    20150802_103425.jpg
    20150802_103134.jpg
    20150801_234045.jpg
    There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.
    #401 8 years ago

Congrats to Zach sharpe for taking down the championship. Put up a solid game on IM for the win. Hopefully more tournaments will be streamed live. That was fun to watch.

#402 8 years ago

I had a lot of Fun at my first PinBurgh/Replayfx. I came up short making it into B Finals but that was my own fault. I thought the tournament ran very smoothly for how many games were there.
    My hat goes off to the people who run this event. Moving all the games, running the tournament, updating the sessions, etc. if you ever want to be apart of a tournament, this is the one to be at.

Usually the lines at expo stop me from playing some of the newer games. I was able to play Kiss, P3 Lexy, AMH, The Hobbit and Full Throttle. I really liked them all.
    Hobbit surprised me. I thought the game was great for never playing it before. Back glass LCD was excellent and thought the gameplay was well done.

Full Throttle was also fun but not a game I would own. Game had really good flow and I liked the integration of the LCD on the playfield.

P3 also surprised me. I thought it wouldn't be for me but I really enjoyed it. The flippers felt better than when I had tried it in the past. The ball lock that rotates was a cool toy. My understanding was although the upfront costs were high, additional games would be drop in for $1-1.5k with you only changing out the back third of the playfield.

Kiss was a bit frustrating to play at first but as I played it more I started to enjoy it. I had played the Beta code version previously and this version (I am assuming the latest) was more polished but I also felt the game could a little more polish. Overall though I thought the game played good and was glad I purchased a LE which I have not received yet.

WWE, WWELE, TWD Premium, Mustang LE, WNBJM, & Metallica as well as a ton of other games were setup in the freeplay area.

Tons of vids as well. A bunch of us got to hang with Billy Mitchell of Donkey Kong fame which was really cool.

There was certainly enough to keep you entertained at Replayfx.

#403 8 years ago
    Quoted from Boiler415:

A quick review after I spent a couple days at the convention:
    -Tons of pins and vids on free play. I was especially impressed with the quality of the pins. Anything that broke seemed to get fixed quickly. This was definitely the highlight of the show. I have personally never seen this many games available in one place before.
    -Overall Pinburgh ran smoothly. Even with 650 players, results and banks were posted on time and the schedule was kept.
    -It was nice to see the boutique pins. Out of AMH, Full Throttle, and P3, Full Throttle was my personal favorite. I did a joy them all. It was too bad that Big Lebowski was a no-show.

Quality of games was a notch above what I'm used to at these shows for sure.

The tournament ran like a well-oiled machine, which is amazing considering the amount of games and players. I was expecting it to be a bit more chaotic, but it really was well-run. Kudos to the crew that put it together and all the people that kept all the games working. I can't even fathom the amount of work that went into it.

Besides Lexy Lightspeed and Full Throttle, don't forget the one-offs: Luther's Vendetta and Silver Bullet - both of those were stunning. Really enjoyed seeing and playing all of them.

Also enjoyed playing in the Replay World Championship, that went better than I expected. Also enjoyed some friendly competition on some of my favorite games in the free play area.

The location was great, really nice venue with anything you need within walking distance right downtown. Only downside was the construction that closed the road I was using all week to get from my hotel to the venue this morning, and a GPS that refused to give me an alternate route.

Only minor complaints: concrete floor was a test of endurance. I was wearing running shoes, with additional gel insoles and my feet still hurt at the end of the day. Not much to be done about that, bring a foam pad or a portable stool like I did. Also, the row of games along the wall was pretty dark, especially in the last rounds of the day. Heard lots of complaints about that. Concession stand was expensive, but there were vending machines in the lobby, selling the same drinks for half the price.

Seriously, though, minor minor stuff. It was an amazing show, and lived up to my high expectations.

#404 8 years ago

Some of these scores... just amazing. Holy...

#405 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I reject this notion that the younger generations can't handle something without a screen, I have no evidence that it's at all true.

It's about drawing new players in with new technology, not about what they can or can't handle. Obviously they can handle either, if they give a shit.

Fun new tech could draw in those people who don't know that pinball even exists in 2015. People who would walk by and ignore a new stern with a dmd that looks like it came out in 1992.

#406 8 years ago

This was the first time I have played WWE, Kiss, and Mustang. I felt that Kiss and WWE absolutely sucked as shooters and the Mustang was actually a lot of fun. This was the complete opposite of what I anticipated. Code has nothing to do with the feeling, I'm speaking strictly as to how the shots physically felt. Anyone else experience this at all?

#407 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Congrats to Zach sharpe for taking down the championship. Put up a solid game on IM for the win. Hopefully more tournaments will be streamed live. That was fun to watch.

Too bad they didn't keep WHO? Dunnit in there, we would still be there watching if the final game had been on that!

#408 8 years ago

I can't stress enough how impressive this show was. The tournament itself was a miracle to observe, everything from my perspective was flawless. The amount of games and vids was more than I have ever seen. I really hope this event is repeated next year, for it was really impressive and a provided a great experience in every aspect.

#409 8 years ago

Went to Replay simply as a pinball lover, no tourney entry. My wife and I went today, all day, and couldn't have been more impressed! The size of the room allowed for a feeling of never being crowded, and the sheer number of machines placed us in lines never more than one player deep. I made a list of 23 pins I had never played and really wanted to, sure enough they were all represented and fully functional. Hell, there was enough room between the pins to walk through, not the usual backbox to backbox crammed in feeling.
    Between JJP, Project Pinball, the oculus riff guys, and Cointaker, the conversations were light and refreshing. Not the usual craziness at shows. Seeing the Star Wars guys and the cosplay costumes was a welcome distraction from staring at playfields for 10 straight hours, and I have a new found respect for the dedication of those costume makers. I didn't see one single ahole beating the shit out of a machine like I have at every other show and only saw one person playing more than a single player turn.
    I will not return to the Ohio show again for as long as Replay is still going, I was that impressed with everything. using my wife as a barometer for the non pinhead person, even SHE can't wait for next years Replayfx!!
    Where the hell else will you find Boba Fett rocking a vid ???

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#410 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I had a lot of Fun at my first PinBurgh/Replayfx. I came up short making it into B Finals but that was my own fault. I thought the tournament ran very smoothly for how many games were there.
    My hat goes off to the people who run this event. Moving all the games, running the tournament, updating the sessions, etc. if you ever want to be apart of a tournament, this is the one to be at.
    Usually the lines at expo stop me from playing some of the newer games. I was able to play Kiss, P3 Lexy, AMH, The Hobbit and Full Throttle. I really liked them all.
    Hobbit surprised me. I thought the game was great for never playing it before. Back glass LCD was excellent and thought the gameplay was well done.
    Full Throttle was also fun but not a game I would own. Game had really good flow and I liked the integration of the LCD on the playfield.
    P3 also surprised me. I thought it wouldn't be for me but I really enjoyed it. The flippers felt better than when I had tried it in the past. The ball lock that rotates was a cool toy. My understanding was although the upfront costs were high, additional games would be drop in for $1-1.5k with you only changing out the back third of the playfield.
    Kiss was a bit frustrating to play at first but as I played it more I started to enjoy it. I had played the Beta code version previously and this version (I am assuming the latest) was more polished but I also felt the game could a little more polish. Overall though I thought the game played good and was glad I purchased a LE which I have not received yet.
    WWE, WWELE, TWD Premium, Mustang LE, WNBJM, & Metallica as well as a ton of other games were setup in the freeplay area.
    Tons of vids as well. A bunch of us got to hang with Billy Mitchell of Donkey Kong fame which was really cool.
    There was certainly enough to keep you entertained at Replayfx.

Man!!! I thought I talked a lot!!
    I agree with everything you've said and am proud to have shared the EXPERIENCE with you!

To everyone who I couldn't thank personally on FB, I thank you here on Pinside! Thanks for making my first PAPA event the best it could be.

For all the other comments that made me think or chuckle...wish I could respond to them all. But it's 7AM Pittsburgh time and time to go home! Soonish.....

P.S. The only Coldplay person I talked to (and rooted for) was Lilith from Borderlands2! Hope she won something!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#411 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

P.S. The only Coldplay person I talked to (and rooted for) was Lilith from Borderlands2! Hope she won something!
    image.jpg

I'm still rooting for Chris Martin.

#412 8 years ago

ReplayFX was a blast. Sure, everyone is going to grumble about the concrete floor, but to get that much space, you're probably going to have to deal with it -- and the space was amazing. Air Conditioning kept up just fine, if not almost too much. Wasn't as loud as I expected with that much stuff in one room.

If you just want to play pinball, Saturday and Sunday at the show are amazing. If you want to play in a tournament, Pinburgh is amazing.

Thanks to everybody who worked to put on the show/events. I had an great time.

#413 8 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

Concession stand was expensive, but there were vending machines in the lobby, selling the same drinks for half the price.

Keep in mind that this is a public convention/exposition center like McCormick Place, Cobo Center, Anaheim Convention Center, Las Vegas Convention Center, the former Earl's Court etc. These centers in large cities have exclusive vendors running the food service. The prices are high and other vendors are either prohibited from selling food & beverages or if permitted, there is a huge "tax" added to each sale that goes to the official food vendor.

When the Westin in Wheeling found out that bottled soda was being sold on the Expo show floor, they flipped out at Mike Pacek & Robert Berk.

Fortunately, the Kalamazoo Fairgrounds & convention Center is not like the big city places. The rules are more lax there.

#414 8 years ago

One other note and a question:

1. I don't think the name "ReplayFX" helps draw the casual person in the door. From the name, who would know that there were 700+ pins and vids available for free play?

2. How can I find out who brought a specific pin in? I would like to find out if they could be talked into selling it.

#415 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

One other note and a question:
    1. I don't think the name "ReplayFX" helps draw the casual person in the door. From the name, who would know that there were 700+ pins and vids available for free play?
    2. How can I find out who brought a specific pin in? I would like to find out if they could be talked into selling it.

1. Agree with this

2. I don't know about this one since if a game is not for sale, the owner probably doesn't care to be put in touch with people that want to buy it. I say just keep it like other shows. If the game is for sale, but a sign on it with contact info.

#416 8 years ago

If a game is not for sale I would not track the person down. I would consider it rude. It is like when you post a picture of a game for sale but get questions about the game next to it even if barely visible and obviously not being featured.

#417 8 years ago
    Quoted from 3413241:

Local Pittsburgh television station, KDKA, did a news story about the ReplyFX show:
    http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/3274901-pinburgh-pinball-enthusiasts-gather-at-convention-center

I'm on TV! Hi Mom!

#418 8 years ago

Another satisfied customer here. ReplayFX and Pinburgh were everything I wanted and more. I loved the venue. Being downtown near restaurants and attractions was great. We took Uber from the airport to the Hampton Inn, used the bike sharing service when we needed to go places that were too far to walk, and I even rented a kayak over by PNC park Saturday afternoon (you can do that when you don't make finals).

I enjoyed Pinburgh last year at PAPA HQ, but this was a step above and beyond. I liked the atmosphere with the video game tourney and bands playing at night. I was very happy to see the One-Ups show Friday night. I love that video game music cover bands exist.

Big praise to everyone who helped put on the show, I'll be back next year for sure. One suggestion I have is to make that Pinburgh group photo available somehow. I'd like to have a nice print of that to put in my basement.

#419 8 years ago

IMG_20150731_224313211.jpgIMG_20150731_224313211.jpg

The One-Ups doing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

#420 8 years ago

Man I have to go next year. The photos and stories are amazing.

#421 8 years ago

I thought the live papatv coverage was... as minimal as it got this year. kinda disappointed with it really.

#422 8 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

I thought the live papatv coverage was... as minimal as it got this year. kinda disappointed with it really.

Let's be honest here, the promoters would rather you be there and pay for show admission than watch it over the internet with them not making any money.

If Expo noticed decreased attendance due to the seminars being broadcast/recorded, you can bet that would stop as a no charge webcast.

#423 8 years ago

It is possible, but how many people would really use the broadcast of a tournament as a reason to go or not?

It is like any sports game, fans go. If you can't go you at least get to watch and hope to get there next time.

#424 8 years ago

I was there Thursday and Friday and left Saturday morning after I was eliminated (I was burnt out on pinball and video games anyway!). I wanted to watch the finals and also found it pretty thin coverage...especially the fact that the "live" google docs standings weren't even updated regularly.

#425 8 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

It is possible, but how many people would really use the broadcast of a tournament as a reason to go or not?
    It is like any sports game, fans go. If you can't go you at least get to watch and hope to get there next time.

As I mentioned on a related note, I did not attend Expo last year as I had a conflicting schedule. Once I knew the seminars would be broadcast, I made no effort to resolve the conflict, cancelled my hotel reservation and saved at least $800.00

#426 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Let's be honest here, the promoters would rather you be there and pay for show admission than watch it over the internet with them not making any money.

The broadcasts exist to promote competitive pinball, far bigger picture than focusing on what is collected at the door for this one show.

#427 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

If Expo noticed decreased attendance due to the seminars being broadcast/recorded, you can bet that would stop as a no charge webcast.

How many people could they be losing? Only a few hundred people are crazy enough to watch live pinball streams and I bet most would be at the show if they were at all able to. Plus watching online gets you sweet commentary and a better view of the gameplay. I'm mostly watching to learn strategy and be entertained by all the great guys they get on the mic.

I'd happily pay $10 or whatever to get more coverage of the full tournament, but I'm probably in a small group of an already small group.

#428 8 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

The people who normally run papa TV were running the show at a facility that wasn't theirs, with lots of new features and attractions, so I get why the broadcast was light.

#429 8 years ago

I enjoyed the coverage. Thanks to all involved putting it together. I like listening to commentary and thoughts on strategies. The finals were very exciting, and we were yelling wildly as some of the plays happened.

Obviously it would be preferable to be there, but not all of us can, so we geek out with the online coverage.

#430 8 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I think a new platform like this is essential to getting younger players who have grown up on consoles into pinball. Looks like a blast to play - whether it is in reality - hopefully ill get a chance one day.

There are a lot of kids here today and they all look like they are having a blast. There may be some hope for the new generation after all. Lol

#431 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

This was the first time I have played WWE, Kiss, and Mustang. I felt that Kiss and WWE absolutely sucked as shooters and the Mustang was actually a lot of fun. This was the complete opposite of what I anticipated. Code has nothing to do with the feeling, I'm speaking strictly as to how the shots physically felt. Anyone else experience this at all?

I find Mustang to be fun also . I played around pro when it first released. It helps that I am a diehard gear head. Lol

#432 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The broadcasts exist to promote competitive pinball, far bigger picture than focusing on what is collected at the door for this one show.

Then there must have been a resource (manpower or equipment), technical or possibly a financial limitation that prevented a broadcast to promote competitive pinball.

High speed Internet connections at CONvention centers such as this are crazy priced. Not sure if that was part of the deal.

#433 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Keep in mind that this is a public convention/exposition center like McCormick Place, Cobo Center, Anaheim Convention Center, Las Vegas Convention Center, the former Earl's Court etc. These centers in large cities have exclusive vendors running the food service. The prices are high and other vendors are either prohibited from selling food & beverages or if permitted, there is a huge "tax" added to each sale that goes to the official food vendor.
    When the Westin in Wheeling found out that bottled soda was being sold on the Expo show floor, they flipped out at Mike Pacek & Robert Berk.
    Fortunately, the Kalamazoo Fairgrounds & convention Center is not like the big city places. The rules are more lax there.

Completely disagree that the food was way overpriced. $10.00 for a BIG pulled pork sandwich, fries, coleslaw, and a soda. Hell, that's what you'll pay at any restaurant !!

#434 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, if TPF is anywhere near Houston in the summertime, the games would actually BE underwater.

Humidity ain't as bad in Dallas, thankfully. I'd kill myself if it was.

#435 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

Completely disagree that the food was way overpriced. $10.00 for a BIG pulled pork sandwich, fries, coleslaw, and a soda. Hell, that's what you'll pay at any restaurant !!

That would be disagreement with neurokinetik. I merely explained big city convention center protocol/policies.

#436 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

Man!!! I thought I talked a lot!!
    I agree with everything you've said and am proud to have shared the EXPERIENCE with you!
    To everyone who I couldn't thank personally on FB, I thank you here on Pinside! Thanks for making my first PAPA event the best it could be.
    For all the other comments that made me think or chuckle...wish I could respond to them all. But it's 7AM Pittsburgh time and time to go home! Soonish.....
    image.jpg

I leave and then you get your photos with the Cosplay girls. Thanks guys.

#437 8 years ago

I didn't buy any food or drinks onsite. I only heard my friends complaining about the drink prices when the exact same bottle of water was less than half price in the vending machines than it was at the concession stand.

#438 8 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Humidity ain't as bad in Dallas, thankfully. I'd kill myself if it was.

Last time I was in Dallas, I walked outside in the morning and nearly passed out from the heat. It was already nearing 100 and it wasn't even 10 AM yet.

It's like the time I was in California, near Bakersfield. We were taking a break on a trip to go rafting and when we got out of the car, you could see the ripples from the heat coming off the road in the distance. All the California people--who always bust on my NJ weather--began complaining about the heat. I said, "Aw, c'mon, fellas...it's a DRY heat!" They all looked at me and said, "F**k you!" at the same time.

A great moment for this Jersey boy.

(That drought and fires aren't anything to laugh about, though. But I guess if you're gonna boast about the sunshine all the time, that means you're not getting any rain...)

#439 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I can honestly tell you that this played zero factor in any broadcast decisions.

We initially weren't going to broadcast due to manpower, but decided any stream we could put up would be better than just recording and releasing at a later time.

We always looks for ways to improve what we put out there. I'm sorry you were disappointed.

#440 8 years ago

I find it extremely odd that there isn't a single Firepower in the building.

#441 8 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

I didn't buy any food or drinks onsite. I only heard my friends complaining about the drink prices when the exact same bottle of water was less than half price in the vending machines than it was at the concession stand.

I paid $4.75 for a 20oz bottle of coke. That's insane. Anywhere else... $1.50

#442 8 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

There was.

#443 8 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

There is a Firepower in the Pinburgh area.

#444 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

you could see the ripples from the heat coming off the road.....

Sounds like a VH song.

#445 8 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Sounds like a VH song.

...and I eased the seat back...

#446 8 years ago

I watched the pinburgh stream and thought it was great. This was the first time I watched one live. I can understand if they wanted to wait to put the coverage on youtube later though.

#447 8 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Quoted from sohchx:

I paid $4.75 for a 20oz bottle of coke. That's insane. Anywhere else... $1.50

I agree. They should guarantee a Firepower and cheap Coke at every event.

#448 8 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Quoted from ninjadoug:

There is a Firepower in the Pinburgh area.

Yeah...okay...but I didn't see one single Donkey Kong in the whole place.

#449 8 years ago

What were the prices on booze?

#450 8 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

We initially weren't going to broadcast due to manpower, but decided any stream we could put up would be better than just recording and releasing at a later time.

It shouldn't be a surprise that people were clamoring for more broadcasts, papa.tv is a success with tens of thousands of viewers, and a hugely successful kickstarter. I understand there was manpower issues with executing an event this size, but I'm surprised the broadcasts fell all the way to an afterthought.

There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-replayfx-show-thread-pittsburgh-pa-july-30-august-2-2015/page/9?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.