4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 706 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1441743385773.jpg
    image.jpg
    parking.jpg
    20150731_160744.jpg
    20150731_160739.jpg
    20150731_142312.jpg
    20150731_142309.jpg
    20150731_142301.jpg
    20150731_142259.jpg
    20150802_172036.jpg
    20150802_171321.jpg
    20150802_171201.jpg
    20150802_170900.jpg
    20150802_103425.jpg
    20150802_103134.jpg
    20150801_234045.jpg

There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.
    #651 4 years ago

Westin was 158.46/per night after taxes. That was with the Replayfx special price. I had heard someone got a room at the Courtyard for $70/night. Priceline maybe?

Oh, and there is no if about replayfx. There were already talking about next years plans during the PAPA broadcast. I'm just looking to save a little $$$ next year!

BTW, I thought Ten Penny's food pretty much sucked but Bill's Burgers in the Westin was quite good. We ate at both places twice. The little hole in the wall Gyro place next to Ten Penny was good and had good prices.

#652 4 years ago

I only said "if" because of this: https://twitter.com/ReplayFX/status/629380262342860800

Unfortunately I mostly ate food at the JLL because there was little time to get away. I did get some good bulgogi near the Hampton and an Indian buffet down the street was tasty as well.

#653 4 years ago
    Quoted from initfo:

I only said "if" because of this: https://twitter.com/ReplayFX/status/629380262342860800
    Unfortunately I mostly ate food at the JLL because there was little time to get away. I did get some good bulgogi near the Hampton and an Indian buffet down the street was tasty as well.

North Indian food? I love that shit! Must find for next year.

#654 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Something game specific frosted into the glass might be cool. But i think the glass that way that would be annoying.

It's that way so we can move it from game to game.

#655 4 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Oh, and there is no if about replayfx. There were already talking about next years plans during the PAPA broadcast. I'm just looking to save a little $$$ next year!

Good thing is, they hit it out of the park on the first try, so they know exactly what they are in for with round 2.

#656 4 years ago
    Quoted from neurokinetik:

parking.jpg
    Big parking lot in the upper right corner of the pic.

yeah, used that, outdoor but only $10 a day. Convention was $12 for 15h nearby so I ended up doing that from day2 onward.

#657 4 years ago

All that work moving all those machines. What a huge undertaking I cant even imagine. I hope they broke even.

#658 4 years ago

I spent a whole week in Pittsburgh. Traveled through many times, but never spent much time there. I posted my trip and photos on my site, if you're bored:

http://pinballbayarea.com/2015/08/05/pinburghreplayfx-2015/

I did Airbnb this year and it worked out great. 2 blocks from the 28x airport bus ($3.75) and a 10-minute walk to the show. I made a trip of it and stayed a full week, so I got little discount. It was $70/night. I think for shorter stays it would have been $80/night. Just a basic room in a frat dwelling that was empty cause of summer. Walk through the kitchen to shower and so on. The room had it's own AC unit, and that was clutch before Thursday. The heat and humidity were murder before most of you guys showed up.

My host was super cool and ended up going to the show for two days. Ostensibly he wanted to play the 90's Simpson's video game since that was the game of his youth, but then he got hooked on pinball, since he'd never seen it played the way skilled players do. He said he watched some of the finals and was amazed.

#659 4 years ago

The parking lot right next to the convention center was only $10 a day.

When I parked there on Friday I only paid $5

#660 4 years ago

Where are the links to the seminars?

#661 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Where are the links to the seminars?

? The seminars were listed in the event schedule

If you are looking for replays/recordings of them -- they weren't streamed/recorded by Replay. You may find some people posting their own stuff on youtube/etc.

#662 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

? The seminars were listed in the event schedule
    If you are looking for replays/recordings of them -- they weren't streamed/recorded by Replay. You may find some people posting their own stuff on youtube/etc.

I have a lot of the seminars recorded. I have yet to make them available to PAPA or YouTube. I am planning on getting them uploaded this week.

#663 4 years ago

I recorded Bowen & Andrei playing Full Throttle. It was the end of the session where they discussed improving your pinball skills. Had the pleasure of playing against Andrei in the first round of Pinburgh too.

Already hatching plans for a trip back next year. Such an incredible event, and definitely want to improve my placing in the comp

#664 4 years ago

First of the recorded seminars is up

Eugene Jarvis and George Petro of Raw Thrills

#666 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

First of the recorded seminars is up
    Eugene Jarvis and George Petro of Raw Thrills
    » YouTube video

Thanks for posting this robotronjohn!

Seriously people need to watch this... not because it gives any 'new info' but because you get a candid look from an industry vet that knows what matters and what is just flack. Eugene is hysterical and this talk really made the whole event for me.

I got to play arcade games with him down on the floor afterwards too

I can't stop thinking of Norm MacDonald tho when listening to Eugene's cadence and voice

#667 4 years ago

Just curious as to how long it will take to download results to ifpa?

#668 4 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

Just curious as to how long it will take to download results to ifpa?

Many moons.

#669 4 years ago

Yeah, the more players and especially the more new players the longer it takes. Louisville results took about a month to get posted.

#670 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

I recorded Bowen & Andrei playing Full Throttle. It was the end of the session where they discussed improving your pinball skills. Had the pleasure of playing against Andrei in the first round of Pinburgh too.
    Already hatching plans for a trip back next year. Such an incredible event, and definitely want to improve my placing in the comp
    » YouTube video

Just watched. Great video! Kind of want a Full Throttle now!

#671 4 years ago

Speaking of more players, what are the thoughts on the Pinburgh entry cap for 2016? Will we see it opened up more, since we did not get 700 even with the wait list? How many would actually show up if it were capped at a much higher number?

#672 4 years ago

Today on Facebook I found this survey on there asking for attendees feedback on the show. Lets make our voices heard to hopefully make it even more awesome next year. My apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

http://replayfx.org/feedback/

#673 4 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Today on Facebook I found this survey on there asking for attendees feedback on the show. Lets make our voices heard to hopefully make it even more awesome next year. My apologies in advance if this has already been posted.
    http://replayfx.org/feedback/

Did mine this afternoon!

#674 4 years ago

Speaking of more players, what are the thoughts on the Pinburgh entry cap for 2016? Will we see it opened up more, since we did not get 700 even with the wait list? How many would actually show up if it were capped at a much higher number?

I am going next year and was a little shocked at the fact that there weren't the full 700 players. I can see a few no-shows, but almost 50 is a pretty big chunk. Maybe next year they can have a backup/waiting list for those who were at the show but didn't get a spot of the first 700. Fill the ranks a little more and get some extra entry fees.

#675 4 years ago

While there were a bunch of dropouts, my impression is they weren't out of line as a percentage of the overall field compared to previous years. I also think it's pretty clear Pinburgh and competitive pinball is on a great trajectory right now.

Pinburgh 2011: 86 players
    Pinburgh 2012: 266 players
    Pinburgh 2013: 389 players
    Pinburgh 2014: 400 players
    Pinburgh 2015: 650 players

There was a waiting list this year, as in the past.

Some speculation based on what I heard: There were a decent number of last-minute dropouts that would have been able to be back-filled had they not occurred at the last minute. I don't imagine that's really avoidable, so let's try to keep it positive when there are merely ~680 players next year.

#676 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

While there were a bunch of dropouts, my impression is they were out of line as a percentage of the overall field. I also think it's pretty clear Pinburgh and competitive pinball is on a great trajectory right now.
    Pinburgh 2011: 86 players
    Pinburgh 2012: 266 players
    Pinburgh 2013: 389 players
    Pinburgh 2014: 400 players
    Pinburgh 2015: 650 players
    There was a waiting list this year, as in the past.
    Some speculation based on what I heard: There were a decent number of last-minute dropouts that would have been able to be back-filled had they not occurred at the last minute. I don't imagine that's really avoidable, so let's try to keep it positive when there are merely ~680 players next year.

This is great growth and if they don't up the number next year, having 680 playing would be a pretty good goal IMO.

#677 4 years ago

I know there were people on day one before the show who tried to get in on a wait list only to be told there was too many on the wait list already and "no go".

Maybe next year they can make a wait list on site.

#678 4 years ago

Yeah I mean all you have to do to ensure full participation is make the waitlist contingent on people that are attending the show no matter what and will be present at the start of Pinburgh. Then you can hang around for the start of it and if people are needed to fill spots there you are waiting to be let in.

#679 4 years ago

Get that group in an area before it starts and just start reading names off a list over a megaphone. That person isn't there, NEXT!

#680 4 years ago

there weren't any people on the waitlist the week before Pinburgh. I had a friend sign up to play the week before. It was possible to view the waitlist prior and you could see no one was on it. The year before I had friends drive up from Alabama to stand by to get into Pinburgh to no avail but they did the trip just in case.

#681 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

there weren't any people on the waitlist the week before Pinburgh. I had a friend sign up to play the week before. It was possible to view the waitlist prior and you could see no one was on it. The year before I had friends drive up from Alabama to stand by to get into Pinburgh to no avail but they did the trip just in case.

I think the person who told people there were no spots available and there were still people on the wait list was misinformed.

There were a few small issues I dealt with, these are NOT complaints!

I was given the wrong 4 day pass (a regular instead of VIP) When I tried to show my receipt for the VIP ticket the guy at the booth refused me and told me I wasn't on the VIP list, despite my electronic receipt. Found Elizabeth and she promptly helped me out. Problem solved.

VIP discounts.. Had to argue with the guy at the merchandise booth. He kept telling me without my "ticket" I got no discount, badge means nothing despite the VIP status. Then a lady told him there was no "ticket" but we had to ask for the discount. Then I was informed it was a ONE TIME USE. Wait, WHAT? No mention on any documentation or website that we would only get one use for a discount. This needs to be CLEAR in the future.

Drawings.. It would be nice to not require us to be present... or have the drawings in a meeting room when there are no seminars or other interfering events. Fact, there was simply too much to do and not enough time to enjoy it all.

I enjoyed myself more than I ever expected. This event far exceeded my expectations. I can't wait for Replay #2

#682 4 years ago

That sucks to hear that your friend was given wrong info.

#683 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotronjohn:

VIP discounts.. Had to argue with the guy at the merchandise booth. He kept telling me without my "ticket" I got no discount, badge means nothing despite the VIP status. Then a lady told him there was no "ticket" but we had to ask for the discount. Then I was informed it was a ONE TIME USE. Wait, WHAT? No mention on any documentation or website that we would only get one use for a discount. This needs to be CLEAR in the future.

ya, that needs to be addressed.

#684 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Heros
    image.jpg

Oh hey that's me.

...I think

(that or another tech who has my sideburns)

#685 4 years ago

Heighway Pinball seminar. I had to remove the audio from one of the promo videos, YouTube flagged it and wouldn't let me edit the video.
    Only music is lost.

#686 4 years ago

As I understand it, the tournament initially sold out but then a lot of spots freed up. 650-ish still breaks all the records as far as I know. Since the venue, banks and format can handle it, I think it's fine. I've never been a fan of the "club line" mentality to create fake scarcity.

ReplayFX will take a few years to build a local rep but I have no doubt it will. Their first year at this new venue went very smooth overall so I think it will only get better.

Back when CAX first started it was tiny and a ghost town. Now it's more crowded than a bingo hall with a $3 steak dinner. More local game collectors will surely get on board and I bet PAPA will also expand their collection. I'm hoping to make this an annual thing.

#688 4 years ago

No mention of the P3 at all? They were there! Steve Bowden fell in love with it, too.

#689 4 years ago

No mention of chocolate-covered bacon?!? Actually it wasn't that good. But yeah, so much Pinburgh, so little time. There were entire aspects of the show I didn't know existed. Much of that Pinball News report was truly news to me. There were seminars on another floor?

#690 4 years ago

The chocolate covered bacon and the fudge from that one vendor was really good!

#691 4 years ago

any idea when results will be posted to IFPA?

#692 4 years ago

When Westeros freezes over!

#693 4 years ago

Wonder if the location will change for 2016? Hope they act on all the feedback from those that participated this year.

#694 4 years ago

I hope it stays at the same venue. I love having so many hotels, restaurants and bars so close. It really was a perfect location.

#695 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

Wonder if the location will change for 2016? Hope they act on all the feedback from those that participated this year.

Not sure what you're talking about. The venue was great. Obviously things could be refined but it was an exceptional show for it's first year.

#696 4 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

any idea when results will be posted to IFPA?

Results have been submitted to IFPA.

#697 4 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

I felt the venue was the best of any pinball show I've ever been to! Of course, it's the only east coast show I've ever been to.

My only criticism was that in late rounds of Pinburgh the lights were a little too dark for competition play. GI lighting is too hit or miss and some games were downright dark. Hopefully next year the game placement can be tailored to avoid the glare spots, though I know that's not always easy.

Other than that, I can't imagine better. Tons of game space and tons of chill-out space. Tons of expansion space. Perfect seminar rooms with tiered seating. Amazing views of Pittsburgh and the river. Great restaurants, bars and shops nearby. Access to public trans to see great stuff in Pittsburgh. My hat is so off to the crew on this first event.

#698 4 years ago

That was the most fun I have ever had actually competing, and the best show I've ever been to too.

#699 4 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Results have been submitted to IFPA.

took a while to make a 650 person spreadsheet?

#700 4 years ago

Results approved ... Rebuilding database now

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 35.00
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 49.95
    $ 30.00
    Pinball Machine
    Habos Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Latenight Weeknight Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 239.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside