5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 706 posts
  • 148 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by daudioguy
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 111 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1441743385773.jpg
    image.jpg
    parking.jpg
    20150731_160744.jpg
    20150731_160739.jpg
    20150731_142312.jpg
    20150731_142309.jpg
    20150731_142301.jpg
    20150731_142259.jpg
    20150802_172036.jpg
    20150802_171321.jpg
    20150802_171201.jpg
    20150802_170900.jpg
    20150802_103425.jpg
    20150802_103134.jpg
    20150801_234045.jpg

There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.
    #551 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsomethin:

Here's a suggestion:
    There's tons of great food trucks in Pittsburgh. How about arranging for some of them to be outside close to the convention center, so that folks have lots of options for great food without having to go far to get it.

The laws make that tough.. the anti-competitive distances, time limits (30mins!!) and no setup at meters. Basically you're in a tight area that no one wants this mobile competition.

#552 5 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Allot of the pins had the sound either all the way down , or to low to hear and that disappointed me a little. It made it harder for me to decide which pin I wanted to add to my collection next lol. Music and sound is one of my final determining factors when it comes to a pin purchase. Good thing there's Youtube.

You know, that's one of the things that really grabbed me about Full Throttle. The sound quality on it was really good - which really bodes well for Alien.

#553 5 years ago

I played a few games of FTH.. couldn't get into it.
    I played a lot of games of AMH.. and a handful of TH.
    I played a lot of KISS... and enough to not want to play WWE anymore.

I never got to play the Raw Thrills games because they were always being played!!

I'm envious of anyone who gets to work at Raw Thrills simply because they get to work with Eugene.

Anyone else made this connection when listening to Eugene talk??

#554 5 years ago

Will invest in this come next year replay fx

image.jpg

#555 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

mhs basically confirmed it would be on for 2016 during the Classic Gaming seminar. Saying it would be..

We will be doing this again next year! We are going to make it even better. Make sure you spread the word to all your friends and we look forward to seeing you next year around the same time. Stay tuned to the Replayfx.org page and facebook page for all the exciting news.

#556 5 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Allot of the pins had the sound either all the way down , or to low to hear and that disappointed me a little. It made it harder for me to decide which pin I wanted to add to my collection next lol. Music and sound is one of my final determining factors when it comes to a pin purchase. Good thing there's Youtube.

If/when this happens at a PAPA event, just track down a tech and they would be glad to turn it up for you!

#557 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsomethin:

Here's a suggestion:
    There's tons of great food trucks in Pittsburgh. How about arranging for some of them to be outside close to the convention center, so that folks have lots of options for great food without having to go far to get it.

There are tons of great restaurants near the convention center to try out (I recommend Tenpenny) but the convention center limits what we have the ability to do food wise.

#558 5 years ago

Tenpenny was pretty good, as was Bill's. They also weren't too expensive given they were downtown next to or in the hotels.

#559 5 years ago

Fantastic show. Fantastic tournament.
    I do miss the tailgating / camaraderie of Pinburgh at the PAPA facility, but understand completely why they went bigger.
    Hoping to bring my family to ReplayFX next year instead of just me.

#561 5 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

I just put a quarter in it. The game gave you 10 credits for a single quarter. Best. Deal. Ever.

HAHA! Best response I've seen to this complaint yet! And GREAT common sense!

Quoted from Gov:

Tenpenny was pretty good, as was Bill's. They also weren't too expensive given they were downtown next to or in the hotels.

Tenpenny's $14 full rack of ribs was fall off the bone DELICIOUS! I could have ate the whole thing but insisted my friends who still looked hungry try them!

#562 5 years ago
    Quoted from jsomethin:

Here's a suggestion:

There were already tons of options for great food downtown literally across the street from the convention center. Including my star of the week, Fernando's Cafe (pizza, subs, and wraps place)

#563 5 years ago
    Quoted from haugstrup:

I just put a quarter in it. The game gave you 10 credits for a single quarter. Best. Deal. Ever.

Oh man! I figured it only took PAPA tokens!!!

#564 5 years ago

The massage group that was at past Pinburghs could have made a killing this year. Especially if they would be brave enough to do feet massages.

#565 5 years ago

Foot massages are in the works for 2016.

#566 5 years ago

As long as we're talking food I have to throw in my favorite of the places we tried -- the meatball joint -- Sienna Mercato.

#567 5 years ago

Sammy's Corned Beef was awesome. Ten Penny was great too. There were plenty of great places to eat and drink around the convention center. We had an awesome time, great show. So many games and fun things to do.

#568 5 years ago

Everything was great , but i am praying for a rug or rows of chairs in the future. Thanks to the ReplayFX/Pinburgh crew.

#569 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezeltmann:

Everything was great , but i am praying for a rug or rows of chairs in the future. Thanks to the ReplayFX/Pinburgh crew.

Telling you guys, a moon mat in front of every game would be awesome.

#570 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Telling you guys, a moon mat in front of every game would be awesome.

More authentic would be Stern-brand cardboard

94356.jpg

#571 5 years ago

There is a world of difference between bare concrete and *any* floor padding--including cardboard.

#573 5 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Foot massages are in the works for 2016.

would like to set up appointment before each night session and Saturday afternoon. we could also go in for a nice shiatsu foot massager on amazon

#574 5 years ago

Loved the show. Tons of great games. And lots of great food around the venue. Only complaint was picking up the passes Thursday morning. Otherwise great times to be had.

#575 5 years ago

Some people are trying to make competitive pinball into an accessory sport, as seen at Pinburgh:

• Noise cancelling head phones
    • Gloves of all sorts
    • Towels
    • Water jugs
    • Fold-up chairs
    • Floor mats
    • New Balance dedicated pinball sneakers

All those items may carry sponsor names in the future and have certain line of brands dedicated to pinball (as the NB sneakers), "Beats by Dr.Dre: Zach Sharpe LE" headphones.

#576 5 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

As long as we're talking food I have to throw in my favorite of the places we tried -- the meatball joint -- Sienna Mercato.

Quoted from LouMatt:

Sammy's Corned Beef was awesome. Ten Penny was great too. There were plenty of great places to eat and drink around the convention center. We had an awesome time, great show. So many games and fun things to do.

You guys are making me hungry. All 3 of those places were awesome. Can't wait to go back next year.

#577 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

There are tons of great restaurants near the convention center to try out (I recommend Tenpenny) but the convention center limits what we have the ability to do food wise.

Teapenny is horrible. I got the worst turkey club I've ever had in my life there. The sad, tepid slices of turkey tasted like they had been on vacation in the Dead Sea. Even the fries were way saltier than they had to be.

Bill's Burger at the Westin had much better food. Good burgers, and surprisingly enough, good sushi. Tonic across the street also had good food, along with the meatball joint.

#578 5 years ago

Agreed... Ten Penny has good beer on tap and a killer location, but their food is overpriced and subpar (to put it nicely). Better to get your drink on and stumble down the street to Smidzt's for one of their giant sandwiches.

#579 5 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

One other note and a question:
    1. I don't think the name "ReplayFX" helps draw the casual person in the door. From the name, who would know that there were 700+ pins and vids available for free play?
    2. How can I find out who brought a specific pin in? I would like to find out if they could be talked into selling it.

90% of the games there were owned by ReplayFX/PAPA & to my knowledge not for sale. Mark Steinman would be the one to talk to about any specific game inquiry for purchase.

#580 5 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

90% of the games there were owned by ReplayFX/PAPA & to my knowledge not for sale. Mark Steinman would be the one to talk to about any specific game inquiry for purchase.

Unless it had a for sale sign on it, it was/is not for sale.

#581 5 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Word on the street is that many of their oldies (woodrails) are for sale if you ask. Nobody plays them.

#582 5 years ago

Got back to San Diego last night. I miss everything about the trip already.

So the reason I went on this whole trip was not only to attend ReplayFX, but to also meet up with two of my friends that I had never met in real life, but have known online for over a decade. They live in New York & Connecticut, so I flew into LaGuardia on Wednesday and the three of us drove from Connecticut to Pittsburgh on Thursday. Stopped at a Cracker Barrel on the way, their first experience with one (I'm a seasoned vet, chicken & dumplings FTMFW), and they loved it. We stayed in an amazing loft right that we found on Airbnb by what our hostess referred to as "The German Club" (Teutonia Mannerchor). Yeah, the neighborhood was a little grungy but what the hell, sometimes you gotta get out of your comfort zone and really, we never felt anything less than at ease the entire time.

We finally hit the Convention Center at around 6-ish, got our |33+ VIP bags, and aimlessly walked around the HUGE show floor. Seriously, it was epic! Yeah, it was on a cement floor, which was a little tough on the feet after a weekend. But it was a small sacrifice to be able to enjoy all of these machines in one place! It was a little bit of a bummer to have so many pinball machines non-accessable to the public for the first two days, though. At about 8PM on Thursday, the Pinburgh area was completely empty, and I thought I had read somewhere that they were open to VIPs after hours, so the three of us walked around the area for a bit, even playing a game or two, before someone came up to us and nearly ripped us a new one. That COULD have been a sour way to start the whole experience, but fortunately, when we calmly explained to the guy (who was actually trembling with anger when he walked over to us) that we didn't mean to be out of place and we meant no harm, he calmed down, telling us that it had been a long day, which I totally understood.

On Friday, the three of us started our own little micro-Pinburgh, playing three player games to see who would have bragging rights until next year. I totally dominated those two, but to be fair, I've been playing pinball all my life (and I still suck), whereas they hadn't touched a flipper button since they were kids. They actually won a few rounds, and I'm sure that now that I've ignited the spark in them, they'll be hitting up Modern Pinball on a regular basis to hone their skills and give me a run for the title next year!

We partied a little TOO hard Friday night, so Saturday was spent doing quieter things, like reflecting on our place in the universe, and playing board games from ReplayFX's HUGE collection of titles to choose from! I introduced my friends to the joys of Dominion (and got trounced for my efforts), and we got to play our first game of Galaxy Trucker in meatspace, rather than online (and I got my ass beat in that, as well!). I was really glad to see the board gaming section of the festival get some love after being moved down one floor, because it was DEAD on Thursday night.

The VIP lounge / trivia / Nintendo World Championship event Saturday night was awesome! Nice little selection of meat and cheeses to nosh on, which was good as my table went home empty handed (and my friend was fuming that nobody listened to his Mortal Kombat trivia answer). Also, homegirl in the cowboy hat that switched tables and ended up winning twice? She should be flensed.

Sunday ended up being a LITTLE bit of a bummer, as games were being turned off and in some cases whisked away before 5PM! I know that's the kind of thing that happens at these huge conventions - I've been to E3 before and Sunday is usually a ghost town - but it's a drag when you pay money for an event and a good amount of it is gone before the day is over. Having a VIP badge for the whole thing made it not hurt so bad - glad I played AMH on Thursday, cause it sure wasn't there on Sunday - but if I only was able to attend on Sunday for whatever reason, I'd have been mighty unhappy to not be able to play everything that was advertised as being there.

That brings me to another little bitch that I have to do: to the people saying "ohhh, there were so many machines to play, if one doesn't work / have credits, just find another game to enjoy" - sure, that's a great glass half-full silver lining way of looking at things, but that doesn't change the fact the event was advertised as "everything free to play" which wasn't always the case. Mr. Game's Motor Raid (I think that's what it was called) didn't have any credits on it every time I went by it until Sunday afternoon! But don't think I'm whining, just offering constructive criticism for next year.

I'm hoping that there IS a next year, and a year after that, and a year after that.... forever! And I will be there every year!

tl;dr? Pros and Cons:

PRO: Holy shit were there a lot of games at this event!

CON: But some of them didn't have credits or controllers (in the case of the console games) and it wasn't clear as to how to obtain the things that would make them work.

PRO: Americas Most Haunted!! Full Throttle!! The Hobbit (I didn't get to play it, but it looked incredible)!! P3 / Lexy Lightspeed!! BTW, Aurich, I would definitely spend some time with the P3 hardware before writing it off completely. It is HOT ISH. And in the arcade: Neon FM!!

CON: All these wonderful games and Stern's Mustang wins game of show?

PRO: Seeing Billy Mitchell in the flesh, looking angelic in head-to-toe white. Dude is WAY taller than I thought he was.

CON: People who hog machines... I'm looking at you, group of four who wouldn't let nobody near the damn Quick & Crash machine!

PRO: The look on my friends faces when they saw Apollo 13's thirteen ball multiball for the first time.

CON: The look on my friends faces when they had to drain all the balls of a six player game that someone walked away from in order for us to start our own game.

CON: The non-uniform TVs of every shape and size in the console lounge...

PRO: ...but, as my friends pointed out, these games were made for CRTs. Con withdrawn!

PRO: Being drunk and eating a Primanti's at 3AM

CON: Immediately barfing up the Primanti's as soon as the cab back to the loft started moving (he got it all out of the car, he's a champ, but the cab driver still kicked us out)

PRO: Uber

CON: Taxis

PRO: The view of the city from the Convention Center "Poverty Simulator" (I kid you not)

PRO: Brunch at Meat & Potatoes

PRO: Yinzers

PRO: Missile Command, cockpit style

PRO: Seing Keith Elwin and remembering I bought replacement pinballs for my Monte Carlo from his shop!

CON: WHERE WAS MONTE CARLO ON THE FLOOR? WAS IT EVEN THERE??

PRO: The marvel that is Hercules

CON: Hercules was broken half the time

PRO: Atari pinball artwork

CON: Atari pinball gameplay

PRO: Going to ReplayFX, seeing the beautiful city of Pittsburgh, staying in a wonderfully funky & unique loft, and hanging out with two excellent young men

CON: Going home

SlopCrew_ReplayFX.jpg

#583 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

PRO: Being drunk and eating a Primanti's at 3AM
    CON: Immediately barfing up the Primanti's as soon as the cab back to the loft started moving (he got it all out of the car, he's a champ, but the cab driver still kicked us out)

haha. Sounds like you need a 4th for next year. I am in. haha. Great write up. thanks for sharing. Still kicking myself for not making this awesome event work for me this year.

#584 5 years ago

I have to say that Replay FX was awesome. It must have taken a tremendous effort to pull off this event. Thanks to all of the organizers, it made my long trek from Edmonton so worth it. Couple of things I would like to see is:

1. Lighting - The round 4/9 and 5/10 games were pretty dark for lighting unless you were playing on the featured bank section.

2. Tiebreakers - This is really an issue every year, but Bowen pretty well lost his voice in this portion, give the man some help, there should be four people running the tiebreakers one for each division and give these guys a megaphone or something so they do not have to yell and scream at people to get to their slots of games. The tiebreaker round went till 11:30 at night and if that portion could be cleaned up a little to speed things along.

3. Featured Banks - Would like to have more featured banks like double the amount, do not need to put them all televised, but would have been nice to have A/B together and C/D together instead of them all spread out and really not watched. Would be nice to have a little more seating as well for featured banks on the Saturday.

Overall the event was outstanding, does it have the mystic like the PAPA facility does, no, but it is quite the site when you see the amount of pinball, video games, and vendors that were at the event. I am looking forward to seeing you all again next year, congrats on pulling this off...

#585 5 years ago
    Quoted from bcrage88:

I have to say that Replay FX was awesome. It must have taken a tremendous effort to pull off this event. Thanks to all of the organizers, it made my long trek from Edmonton so worth it. Couple of things I would like to see is:
    1. Lighting - The round 4/9 and 5/10 games were pretty dark for lighting unless you were playing on the featured bank section.
    2. Tiebreakers - This is really an issue every year, but Bowen pretty well lost his voice in this portion, give the man some help, there should be four people running the tiebreakers one for each division and give these guys a megaphone or something so they do not have to yell and scream at people to get to their slots of games. The tiebreaker round went till 11:30 at night and if that portion could be cleaned up a little to speed things along.
    3. Featured Banks - Would like to have more featured banks like double the amount, do not need to put them all televised, but would have been nice to have A/B together and C/D together instead of them all spread out and really not watched. Would be nice to have a little more seating as well for featured banks on the Saturday.
    Overall the event was outstanding, does it have the mystic like the PAPA facility does, no, but it is quite the site when you see the amount of pinball, video games, and vendors that were at the event. I am looking forward to seeing you all again next year, congrats on pulling this off...

image.jpg

#586 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Word on the street is that many of their oldies (woodrails) are for sale if you ask. Nobody plays them.

They rarely work! I always try!!! Gottlieb Universe is killer!

#587 5 years ago
    Quoted from mot:

They rarely work! I always try!!! Gottlieb Universe is killer!

This. But I have a funny feeling that the paper airplane was not factory..........

#588 5 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

This. But I have a funny feeling that the paper airplane was not factory..........

That's my favorite mod ever. The plastic that goes in there was trashed and as a result the game didn't work for years. Small paper airplane mod and BAM. One working Universe!

#589 5 years ago

Carpeting is available from Freeman Expo Services (for a *slight* fee) and can be rolled out right after the games are set up. With or without padding (extra fee charged for padding). It would a certain female WoZ fan....

Emerald_City_shoes.jpg

#590 5 years ago

It seems like you wouldn't need to carpet the hole place, just carpet runners in front of the games.

#591 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It seems like you wouldn't need to carpet the hole place, just carpet runners in front of the games.

All aisles for players and walkers. Trade shows usually do this as each booth has their own carpet & padding (small booths just rent the carpet & pad for a fee). Once the fork lifts have hauled away the drayage, the carpeting is rolled out in the aisles and the show opens.

#592 5 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

That's my favorite mod ever. The plastic that goes in there was trashed and as a result the game didn't work for years. Small paper airplane mod and BAM. One working Universe!

I am glad this is getting called out. I saw, noticed, and played that and appreciated it. Thanks paper airplane!

#593 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

The VIP lounge / trivia / Nintendo World Championship event Saturday night was awesome! Nice little selection of meat and cheeses to nosh on, which was good as my table went home empty handed (and my friend was fuming that nobody listened to his Mortal Kombat trivia answer). Also, homegirl in the cowboy hat that switched tables and ended up winning twice? She should be flensed.

Hello again dude! I was the quiet English guy that landed on your table after our three player table split up.

VIP event was great, hope that is repeated next year, though the first talker I felt was more of a sales pitch than anything. For an event with so many industry luminaries present it's a shame one of those couldn't have been reserved for a short after-dinner speech. (I'm thinking eg Roger Sharpe, Billy Mitchell, Walter Day, etc etc)

Can't believe the complaints about the flooring. Maybe I'm just used to conventions being on concrete flooring, but don't you guys wear sneakers? Do agree however that the A finals bank needed more room for seating. It was overcrowded, and didn't help with all these people reserving seating for significant others who were absent for long periods. More chairs there please.

#594 5 years ago

Hey Wizcat!! We got robbed, man. We should have won some prizes!

#595 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

Do agree however that the A finals bank needed more room for seating. It was overcrowded, and didn't help with all these people reserving seating for significant others who were absent for long periods. More chairs there please.

Had to sit on the floor. Didn't care anyway because the finals were amazing.

#596 5 years ago

Still trying to figure out how the biggest pinball company did not represent at replay as a vendor to your target market, just let coin taker open up some games to play.

#597 5 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

Still trying to figure out how the biggest pinball company did not represent at replay as a vendor to your target market, just let coin taker open up some games to play.

That's all stern ever does. Usually it's Marco doing the booth and they bring a bit more 'show' - but it's the same deal.

#598 5 years ago
    Quoted from triadwatch:

It's called knowing your market. All those at Replay know who Stern is and their machines. Stern goes to comiccon, technology conventions, etc. Those outlets that represent fresh and new markets. Makes sense.

#599 5 years ago

I don't understand what you mean by this. Stern had a HUGE presence on the convention floor - they even won the Game of the Convention award, or whatever it was called!

Which, frankly, I found to be some bullshit. Yes, Stern kicked out a bunch of dollars, but Mustang was not better than AMH, or The Hobbit, or Full Throttle, or P3. It was a good, solid, AVERAGE pinball game.

I don't want to see future ReplayFXs awarding whoever spent the most money to be there, even if it's on a meaningless award.

#600 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I don't understand what you mean by this. Stern had a HUGE presence on the convention floor - they even won the Game of the Convention award, or whatever it was called!
    Which, frankly, I found to be some bullshit. Yes, Stern kicked out a bunch of dollars, but Mustang was not better than AMH, or The Hobbit, or Full Throttle, or P3. It was a good, solid, AVERAGE pinball game.
    I don't want to see future ReplayFXs awarding whoever spent the most money to be there, even if it's on a meaningless award.

I don't know man, that Mustang was shiny, beautiful, and played smooth as glass.

Although I have to say I was also very impressed with P3, and might call them game of show for their innovation. (Particularly the modular parts design. Flipper was broke, he just pulled up the playfield, slipped out the unit with the flipper mechs, slipped a new one in, pluged in one molex connector and bam, new working flippers. He then went to work on the mechs he pulled out, while the game was still open and functioning for play.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4,199.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 189.99
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 706 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 15.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside