(Topic ID: 311889)

Official Pinside Octopus thread (advice on getting octopus pet)

By cdnpinbacon

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mb (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220316-113602-060 (resized).png
    focused_177761080-stock-photo-bali-harlequin-mantis-shrimp (resized).jpg
    63C7912F-5C10-4398-9D07-52D1A87CDD08 (resized).jpeg
    6C482C83-E92A-41B6-BAD6-4790EC54141A (resized).jpeg
    6672110D-0061-48ED-86E3-B5EE15A35FE2 (resized).jpeg
    08E40275-3D9C-4BFF-BEB2-6FA555269CA7 (resized).jpeg
    27301F91-500B-4679-AB7D-D5280E6A5664 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I am looking to purchase a baby octopus. My first one. Any other pinsiders have one in captivity?
    How large should the tank be?

#2 2 years ago

Why? Thing is wild and doesn’t wanna be in your tank.

#3 2 years ago

Fucking gross.

"One study revealed that octopuses in small tanks outfitted with flowerpots, stones, beads and shells still showed signs of distress and even self-mutilation."

#4 2 years ago

Not really gross..I have alot experience with fish...I do want one but give it the proper environment and stimulus

#5 2 years ago

Interesting video I saw on the subject a while back:

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Not really gross..I have alot experience with fish...I do want one but give it the proper environment and stimulus

You mean.....in the ocean?

#7 2 years ago

They are relatively short lived from what I understand and will escape your tank and meet and ill fate.

Unless your like Pro level Salt Water guy I'd advise against it. They also tend to eat some of their neighbors or
    get eaten.

A friend of mine had a couple Octopus invade one of his other tanks and eat his fish. Can't remember the species but
    they reproduced and became a problem for him.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You mean.....in the ocean?

In captivity only

#9 2 years ago

Was thinking 1 octopus at a time with neon tetras as fun Bait.

#10 2 years ago

Oh, sorry, my bad. You said the proper environment.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Oh, sorry, my bad. You said the proper environment.

Yes. Correct.

#12 2 years ago

You should research the animal first..this isn't a spur-of-the-moment decision

#13 2 years ago

I have never heard of someone having an octopus as a pet. How much does an octopus cost? What is the size of the octopus you want?

#14 2 years ago

Depends on the species..they are all extremely intelligent beings.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I have never heard of someone having an octopus as a pet

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

You should research the animal first..this isn't a spur-of-the-moment moment decision

Pot, kettle.

#17 2 years ago

Peta potatoe

#18 2 years ago

I heard they like gardening.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

I heard they like gardening.

#20 2 years ago

Really really really really really recommend against this. Get a much dumber sea animal which won’t try to escape and then kill itself. You will tire of it, and the tank can never be big enough

#21 2 years ago

I appreciate that ..why created the thread.
    No owners so far though..

#22 2 years ago

I Hope Rob, HFK sees this thread.

He worked at Mote Aquarium for decades, and has some great stories and insight.

#23 2 years ago

I haven’t researched it but actually have been thinking about it too…they are extremely intelligent. I think the main issue is being able to have a tank large enough to create the right environment. They are predators so there is probably a lot to learn regarding how to feed and take care of them.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Octopus aren’t fish. They’re actually extremely intelligent animals.

Honestly I find it cruel.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Octopus aren’t fish. They’re actually extremely intelligent animals.
    Honestly I find it cruel.

Depends entirely on the environment. They do not travel far from their homes.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Depends entirely on the environment. They do not travel far from their homes.

Watch “My Octopus Teacher”. Really fascinating documentary. Maybe you’ll change your mind about taking some poor creatures freedom.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Watch “My Octopus Teacher”. Really fascinating documentary. Maybe you’ll change your mind about taking some poor creatures freedom.

Not convinced....hamster tubes leading to various themes tanks wouldn't suffice?
    In before my own lock.

#29 2 years ago

This is a pinball forum

#31 2 years ago

Mods please close this thread. Please

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Get a much dumber sea animal which won’t try to escape and then kill itself.

I've had fish escape. Intelligence isn't the issue.

Basically, from what I understand, since you drop food from the top of the tank and they come to expect this, they think that's where all the interesting stuff is, so they want to get up there and get to the food. But instead, they end up flopping on a table or the floor.

So, assuming the water quality is good and they're not trying to escape that, then it's probably not really a YOLO charge for freedom, but more likely food seeking behavior.

#33 2 years ago

IBTL.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

This is a pinball forum

It's Off topic, as a lot of things are on this forum.

#35 2 years ago

Interesting fact, some scientists believe octopi are from outer space and came to earth millions of years ago via frozen eggs in meteors.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Interesting fact, some scientists believe octopi are from outer space and came to earth millions of years ago via frozen eggs in meteors.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

It's true.

#38 2 years ago

Look up the website TONMO before you buy one. Also find a good steady supply of fiddler crabs, and red crabs. As long as they are entertained they will live a pretty full life. You don’t ever know the age of the octopus so you could have it for a day or (depending upon the species) a few years. They are definitely a species specific tank! Start with Caribbean reef octopus. They will get to know you and try to reach for you! Awesome pets!

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Not really. It's just speculative theory that hasn't gained traction in the scientific community.
    https://www.livescience.com/62594-octopuses-are-not-aliens-panspermia.html

Clearly.

I'm just bored and would like to believe in that theory for the rest of the day.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Clearly.
    I'm just bored and would like to believe in that theory for the rest of the day.

#42 2 years ago

Who here eats octopus? It's not bad.

#43 2 years ago

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've had fish escape. Intelligence isn't the issue.
    Basically, from what I understand, since you drop food from the top of the tank and they come to expect this, they think that's where all the interesting stuff is, so they want to get up there and get to the food. But instead, they end up flopping on a table or the floor.
    So, assuming the water quality is good and they're not trying to escape that, then it's probably not really a YOLO charge for freedom, but more likely food seeking behavior.

I used to have African Cichlids. Those suckers would escape like no tomorrow! I've owned tons of sea creatures, and I've never seen anything like it!

#45 2 years ago

Fine to stab an octopus In the face and eat it..but not a worthy pet???

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I am looking to purchase a baby octopus. My first one. Any other pinsiders have one in captivity?
    How large should the tank be?

#47 2 years ago
    08E40275-3D9C-4BFF-BEB2-6FA555269CA7 (resized).jpeg08E40275-3D9C-4BFF-BEB2-6FA555269CA7 (resized).jpeg27301F91-500B-4679-AB7D-D5280E6A5664 (resized).jpeg27301F91-500B-4679-AB7D-D5280E6A5664 (resized).jpeg6672110D-0061-48ED-86E3-B5EE15A35FE2 (resized).jpeg6672110D-0061-48ED-86E3-B5EE15A35FE2 (resized).jpeg6C482C83-E92A-41B6-BAD6-4790EC54141A (resized).jpeg6C482C83-E92A-41B6-BAD6-4790EC54141A (resized).jpeg
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The first two pictures it had just killed a crab for dinner!

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Fine to stab an octopus In the face and eat it..but not a worthy pet???

Have you seen the recent video series where a guy takes home a grocery store lobster to raise as a pet?

4-part series (so far): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HiM4heFTOqNJbnKpu03J8HUtWgSIjnR

#50 2 years ago

My Coral beauty is in the living room.

63C7912F-5C10-4398-9D07-52D1A87CDD08 (resized).jpeg63C7912F-5C10-4398-9D07-52D1A87CDD08 (resized).jpeg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-pinside-octopus-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.