(Topic ID: 289688)

Official Pinside FOMO (fear of missing out) thread

By Concretehardt

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DD8E718C-0BEB-484E-8B01-BDEAB47C5FAF.gif
    #1 3 years ago

I thought I would create an official Pinside FOMO thread because I was afraid I might miss out on something here.

If you have any FOMO issues eating at you or maybe you just need to be talked out of buying that overpriced limited edition Stern topper, feel free to post here even if your FOMO issues are not pinball related.

Here is a recent FOMO moment I had.. I was surfing Pinside and saw the “is Willy Wonka sold out” thread I popped in and started reading posts about how the WW CE’s were all but gone, for a moment I felt a feeling of panic and thought “I need to find a WW CE ASAP or I’m never going to get one” Once I came to my senses I was like WTF is wrong with me! WW is a cool game and all but it’s not a game I had ever planned on buying, why would I care if the CE’s are sold out! It just goes to show how quickly the fear of missing out could of cost me $12.5k

#2 3 years ago

What is FOMO? Care to enlighten us that don't now what you are talking about?

#3 3 years ago

Something something miss out?

#4 3 years ago

Isnt basically every Pinside thread about FOMO?

#5 3 years ago

Fear of missing out.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

What is FOMO? Care to enlighten us that don't now what you are talking about?

Fear Of Missing Out. The housing market in many cities right now is bonkers. People are buying houses within hours of going on the market, often without inspections or seeing anything but pictures. FOMO.

#7 3 years ago

Yeesh, sorry I asked

#8 3 years ago

Oops.. added explanation in thread title

#9 3 years ago

Just wanted to post here...was afraid the thread would get closed before I had a chance.

#10 3 years ago

Whew. Made it on the first page

#11 3 years ago

Yeah, searching for the last remaining supply of 455 Blinkers and will mortgage the house to get them.

#12 3 years ago

for me nothing - if i miss the flavor of the day, something newer and more exciting will be around the corner

#13 3 years ago

WHAT DID I MISS???? oh

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Yeah, searching for the last remaining supply of 455 Blinkers and will mortgage the house to get them.

Is that a thing? These bulbs are in short supply or am i missing a joke?
    I dont want to miss out.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Is that a thing? These bulbs are in short supply or am i missing a joke?
    I dont want to miss out.

There is a recent thread where this is being discussed.

#16 3 years ago

There's a fomo on tin cans right now in California at least. It seems the metal suddenly became very precious, expect a price increase on your favorite beans

#17 3 years ago

I missed out on the Harry and Megan thread! That got locked down quick! Could have been a best of IMHO

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I thought I would create an official Pinside FOMO thread because I was afraid I might miss out on something here.

If you have any FOMO issues eating at you or maybe you just need to be talked out of buying that overpriced limited edition Stern topper, feel free to post here even if your FOMO issues are not pinball related.
    Here is a recent FOMO moment I had.. I was surfing Pinside and saw the “is Willy Wonka sold out” thread I popped in and started reading posts about how the WW CE’s were all but gone, for a moment I felt a feeling of panic and thought “I need to find a WW CE ASAP or I’m never going to get one” Once I came to my senses I was like WTF is wrong with me! WW is a cool game and all but it’s not a game I had ever planned on buying, why would I care if the CE’s are sold out! It just goes to show how quickly the fear of missing out could of cost me $12.5k + Shipping
    [quoted image]

Ha! I had almost the same reaction to the Wonka thread and I have this almost irrational regret at deciding not to get JPOTC when I had the chance. Thankfully, I'm sort of at peace with my limited pinball "collection." Pinflation has really helped here, as for me the value to fun ratio of owning a pinball machine has crossed some sort of mental rubric. I just can't justify it anymore. Still, it's so easy to start wanting to get the next hot pin.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Ha! I had almost the same reaction to the Wonka thread and I have this almost irrational regret at deciding not to get JPOTC when I had the chance.

Yea not buying POTC when I had the chance has added to my fear of missing out issues, but I have limited cash and space so i have to be careful not to get caught up in the hype of the next latest and greatest pin.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Thankfully, I'm sort of at peace with my limited pinball "collection." Pinflation has really helped here, as for me the value to fun ratio of owning a pinball machine has crossed some sort of mental rubric

Quote of the Year (so far)

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I missed out on the Harry and Megan thread! That got locked down quick! Could have been a best of IMHO

I hate it when 5 or 6 Odin comments disappear. Been here pretty often the last few so they must have been canned quick.

Imagine a Book with all the deleted comments/Threads, it would be a Best Seller.
    My free million dollar idea of the day, Worst of Pinside.

1 month later
    #22 2 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/this-is-the-way-stern-mandalorian-pinball

Quoted from underlord:

FOMO FOMO FOMO! New Supreme Stern lifestyle brand! Step up, shut up, pay up.

DD8E718C-0BEB-484E-8B01-BDEAB47C5FAF.gifDD8E718C-0BEB-484E-8B01-BDEAB47C5FAF.gif
    #23 2 years ago

Not gonna lie - I'm having Rick & Morty FOMO. But not sure the flipper issues and other quirks csn justify close to $10k for me personally.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

Not gonna lie - I'm having Rick & Morty FOMO. But not sure the flipper issues and other quirks csn justify close to $10k for me personally.

I don't really have any issues with mine, it's a super fun game

#25 2 years ago

I think FOMO is just undiagnosed OCD combined with limited cash reserves and time boxing issues... I believe the Pokemon phenomenon of "Gotta catch them all" crossed with the Cabbage Patch dolls and Beanie Babies collector hype has conditioned a lot of people into believing that the mantra of "once they are gone, they are gone" is a hard and fast rule never to be broken. Its like my desire to own a specific thing can not be suppressed, bypassed, or dealt with in any other fashion than spending a ton of cash to ensure I get this one desirable "thing", and not you, or anybody else on this planet is gonna make me change my mind.

#26 2 years ago

Chicken is expected to be in short supply
    Computer chips in short supply
    Graphics cards...i hear they exist, but I've never seen one in the wild. I'm beginning to think it's an internet hoax.
    Copper in short supply
    Wood said thanks for the fish
    Oddly though, there's never been a larger number of 'enlightened' women throwing nudes on the internet, so all is well.

#27 2 years ago

There's a shortage of cat food too, time to stock up.

#28 2 years ago

I Don’t have any FOMO. Games ALWAYS pop-up on the secondary market. Plus I don’t do LE’s anymore. Just premiums, so there really is never a risk of missing out.

4 months later
    #29 2 years ago

Fear of missing out thread bump:
    With the insane prices at the captains auction, the lack of used pins on the secondary market for anything close to a reasonable price and Sterns Godzilla about to be released (GZLE mania starting in the morning) things are getting ridiculous! I hope for the sake of us little guys who don’t have six figures in our pinball piggy banks to chase after these games that shit gets back to normal soon!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Fear of missing out thread bump:
    With the insane prices at the captains auction, the lack of used pins on the secondary market for anything close to a reasonable price and Sterns Godzilla about to be released (GZLE mania starting in the morning) things are getting ridiculous! I hope for the sake of us little guys who don’t have six figures in our pinball piggy banks to chase after these games that shit gets back to normal soon!

Well put me down as fomo. Ordered le from Jordan this mornin

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Oddly though, there's never been a larger number of 'enlightened' women throwing nudes on the internet, so all is well.

LOL!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Well put me down as fomo. Ordered le from Jordan this mornin

Well. Site unseen?
    I'm sure I'm waiting just to call my distributor and order a premium on reveal day.
    I
    I held back and did not order Mando. Still on the fence.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Well. Site unseen?
    I'm sure I'm waiting just to call my distributor and order a premium on reveal day.
    I
    I held back and did not order Mando. Still on the fence.

Yup. Unseen and no price yet. But will only pay msrp, whatever that is. I was in on LZ unseen too and still happy about that purchase.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Yup. Unseen and no price yet. But will only pay msrp, whatever that is. I was in on LZ unseen too and still happy about that purchase.

Same, In on Zep since rumor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-pinside-fomo-thread-?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.