Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 169 posts
  • 87 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BOBCADE
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2525 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2527 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0853 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1087 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0822 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8690 (resized).PNG
    11364B41-5B32-4051-87A1-D099490D4E26 (resized).jpeg
    F69611A6-BE03-4E58-8166-B57C06577C26 (resized).jpeg
    9D2EDA78-3BC9-4A22-9344-F64D7DFE5278 (resized).jpeg
    DSCF1233 (resized).JPG
    received_10159712734315241 (resized).png
    10931097_10203648045189066_8474829971394217982_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20170604_163226 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1496614275455 (resized).jpg
    tz (resized).jpg
    There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 7 years ago

I have no real issue with a "topper" especially the factory ones. That said, 5 toys/figures/dolls, don't make a "topper".

#52 7 years ago

I like these toppers more than toppers.

the toppers (resized).jpgthe toppers (resized).jpg

#53 7 years ago

Beats being a bottomer.

#54 7 years ago

I love toppers - Factory, home made or "organic"!
    Down with the No Topper supremacist. Long live the creative spirit of the Topper makers.

images-18 (resized).jpegimages-18 (resized).jpeg

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Can we have a "No Mods" thread too? It's like not being able to quit drinking while you are still on drugs. They both have to go for you to really be clean.........

No mods is good mods.

#56 7 years ago

More Toppers (such as Whirlwind / Twister) should be functional / interactive. Outside of factory installed or option toppers from factory looks generally atrocious. However I have come across some rather tasteful / impressive ones, but generally if it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be on top of the game.

1 week later
    #57 7 years ago

Ahhhhhh, nope16b2cb0f098d1a955f21b2ab014654de8183aba4-1 (resized).jpg16b2cb0f098d1a955f21b2ab014654de8183aba4-1 (resized).jpg

#58 7 years ago

Kinda reminds me of that creepy Freddy topper in that, you know, it's creepy.

#62 7 years ago

New trend from the Netherlands: Human Toppers!

dpm (resized).jpgdpm (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago

Many enthusiasts do not realize many games had factory toppers (not aftermarket) that they have never knew existed, as they were thrown out by operators. I am not talking about common titles.

Some were prototyped that never got produced in large quantities.

Collectors want them because they are RARE.
    They did not all come "plastics sets".

That is another reason people own them, not necessarily to display them on their games.

The list quite large.
    Frequently, I get the comment when I pull them out "what is that?"
    Then a bit of history is revealed.

#64 7 years ago

If it's a stock topper like my Addams, wh20 and Whirlwind it's ok. No offense to laseriffic toppers or any aftermarket topper, they are not my cup of tea

#65 7 years ago

I like toppers if they are somewhat symmetrical and appear as if they belong or came with the game. Putting random stuff on the top of a pinball is not my cup of tea, done right they are beautiful. That said, I probably need to go to topaholics anonymous as I'm buying toppers for machines I don't have. I thought this thread might help me, but I just makes me want to look at more toppers.

IMG_0329 (resized).JPGIMG_0329 (resized).JPG

IMG_0330 (resized).JPGIMG_0330 (resized).JPG

IMG_0332 (resized).JPGIMG_0332 (resized).JPG

IMG_0331 (resized).JPGIMG_0331 (resized).JPG

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from fishbone:

New trend from the Netherlands: Human Toppers!

if you are in the netherlands go to rotterdam and vissit the dutch pinball museum
    real great guy/place!

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

I like toppers if they are somewhat symmetrical and appear as if they belong or came with the game. Putting random stuff on the top of a pinball is not my cup of tea, done right they are beautiful. That said, I probably need to go to topaholics anonymous as I'm buying toppers for machines I don't have. I thought this thread might help me, but I just makes me want to look at more toppers.

Ugh those pics are just more examples of just say no.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

If it's a stock topper like my Addams, wh20 and Whirlwind it's ok. No offense to laseriffic toppers or any aftermarket topper, they are not my cup of tea

100% agree. Laseriffic are the worst. And while there are a few aftermarket toppers which are creative and cool, I wouldn't want them on any of my games.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Many enthusiasts do not realize many games had factory toppers (not aftermarket) that they have never knew existed, as they were thrown out by operators. I am not talking about common titles.
    Some were prototyped that never got produced in large quantities.
    Collectors want them because they are RARE.
    They did not all come "plastics sets".
    That is another reason people own them, not necessarily to display them on their games.
    The list quite large.
    Frequently, I get the comment when I pull them out "what is that?"
    Then a bit of history is revealed.

Such as?

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

100% agree. Laseriffic are the worst.

+1

+1

#71 7 years ago

A few couple off my memory:

Getaway (It was similiar to HS with different images and wording)

BK2K (Interchangable balls per game inserts with oversized BK image which matched the second product plastic set, not the the one in repo sets)

Prototype DW (Lenticular specialized Hologram inserts, I have both the "regular" version, and the hologram which is very rare from the first prototype from Pfutz)

EATPM (Oversized Elvira, nearly always stolen or broken)

AGBGoaWT (Used to be common on Ebay, but now have dried up, most were never installed, got cracked, or stolen)

Most are hard to impossible to find, but a few were repoed over the past 30 years.
    There were even a few toppers for early 80s games.

ace79ee7fa94e90e717528b567205d6f44fd8f9c.jpgace79ee7fa94e90e717528b567205d6f44fd8f9c.jpg

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from jorro:

if you are in the netherlands go to rotterdam and vissit the dutch pinball museum
    real great guy/place!

Absolutely!

#74 7 years ago

A few couple off my memory:
    Getaway (It was similiar to HS with different images and wording)
    BK2K (Interchangable balls per game inserts with oversized BK image which matched the second product plastic set, not the the one in repo sets)
    Prototype DW (Lenticular specialized Hologram inserts, I have both the "regular" version, and the hologram which is very rare from the first prototype from Pfutz)
    EATPM (Oversized Elvira)
    AGBGoaWT (Used to be common on Ebay, but now have dried up, most were never installed, got cracked, or stolen)
    Most are hard to impossible to find, but a few were repoed over the past 30 years.
    There were even a few toppers for early 80s games.

AGBGoaWT

#75 7 years ago

(Alvin G) Al's Garage Band Goes on a World Tour

#76 7 years ago

What if the game is like 90% topper (aka Bone Busters)?

#77 7 years ago

An exception?

95c48031b14d3212bcb8d8b208a84d1a0bc2171e (resized).jpg95c48031b14d3212bcb8d8b208a84d1a0bc2171e (resized).jpg

#78 7 years ago

I would make an exception for that. Certainly.

#79 7 years ago

Another RARE Bally factory topper that was not exclusive to individual titles but used for 80s early SS games given to operators to generate increased profits and promote changes in coinage of the United States.

"The years of the Susan B. Anthony dollars."

Pinball history in a single photo.

Not all toppers are "bad", but you do not have to display them on your games. Just put them in a frame and smile when somebody asks.

IMG_20160924_143635.jpgIMG_20160924_143635.jpg

#80 7 years ago

That Bally S.B.A. topper is actually really cool, I wish I had one

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

That Bally S.B.A. topper is actually really cool, I wish I had one

I don't remember if this topper was ever reproduced. It is just a simple piece of plastic plexiglass with a ink screened backing. Later versions were made even cheaper by using a thin adhesive decal attached to the plastic.

These were given to operators.
    They were not "standard" inclusions with new games.

I may scan it and have a few made for nostalgia using modern lexan plastics technology and laminate adhesive similiar to what Stern does with their backglasses or even modern marquees for video games.

#82 7 years ago

If you ever scan this I would be interested in buying one for sure!!!

#83 7 years ago

I don't remember if this topper was ever reproduced. It is just a simple piece of plastic plexiglass with a ink screened backing. Later versions were made even cheaper by using a thin adhesive decal attached to the plastic.
    These were given to operators.
    They were not "standard" inclusions with new games.
    I may scan it and have a few made for nostalgia using modern lexan plastics technology and laminate adhesive similiar to what Stern does with their backglasses or even modern marquees for video games.

Please post a scan, I can work with that.

5 months later
    #84 7 years ago

I accept it, i'm in need of some therapy

DSC02749 (resized).JPGDSC02749 (resized).JPG

DSC02750 (resized).JPGDSC02750 (resized).JPG

DSC02818 (resized).JPGDSC02818 (resized).JPG

#85 7 years ago

Official member of the factory only toppers club.

#86 7 years ago

If the game came with a topper from the factory it's fine, otherwise....meh.

I'm an official member, only thing up there is dust.

-c

#87 7 years ago

NOTHING in this thread has made me change my mind about toppers.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

NOTHING in this thread has made me change my mind about toppers.

Yes, I still love them all!

#89 7 years ago

My eyes Hurt

#90 7 years ago

Best way to not get the urge to put on a topper is buy a house with low ceilings...

20170205_171807 (resized).jpg20170205_171807 (resized).jpg

#91 7 years ago

I'll bet you guys think incandescent bulbs look better in DMD-era games, too.

I kid. I kid. Mostly...

I agree 100% that some toppers are gaudy (I'm generally not a fan of a bunch of action figures/toys sitting on top of games, and prefer the look of just one element serving as the focal point), but I also think that there are a lot of toppers that look badass. Factory toppers like the ones for TAF, WH2O, TWD, look fantastic.

I have factory toppers on my TAF and TWD and a Laseriffic topper on MB. The only games of mine that don't have toppers are GB (I don't really care for the factory one), BSD (haven't seen one that I like), and Tron (I have identity discs hanging from the ceiling above the head - so I guess that's "kind of" a topper).

My only toppers that I think some (this club for sure) would put in the gaudy column are my CFTBL topper (a Creature gravewalker, but I built a stand for it so that it sits at an angle and doesn't look like he's looking straight up like a lot of the ones I've seen) and a fogging skull pile that sits atop my Scared Stiff.

Scared Stiff Skull Pile Topper (resized).jpgScared Stiff Skull Pile Topper (resized).jpg

#92 7 years ago

I'm sort of a member out of stubbornness.

Picked up my first machine, a WH2O, without a topper (not knowing it was unobtanium) and since it's just not worth it to me to drop the ridiculous amount to find one for it, I've simply not bothered with them for my few other games either. I actually discussed this with Dennis Nordman at expo and he totally to agreed so that made me feel better

I even had the topper for the bk2k i had for awhile but never bothered to put it on. Figure this policy could save me a ton of money as my collection expands. Seriously, I'd rather spend it on PDI, LedOCD, ColorDMD, etc.

What i need to figure out is when i get an Alien with the beacon topper, will i still be a club member? It's pretty low-key and primarily is there to interact with the gameplay, so does it get a pass?

Quoted from Mancave:

I accept it, i'm in need of some therapy

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Yes, I still love them all!

TROLLS!!!

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Best way to not get the urge to put on a topper is buy a house with low ceilings...

Perfect room.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

What i need to figure out is when i get an Alien with the beacon topper, will i still be a club member?

I consider beacons to be oversized flashers that rotate, not toppers.

#95 7 years ago

Aww........I'm flattered that you chose my METALLICA topper to showcase . Looks even better alongside the others! All McKee.
    Don't hate!

IMG_20170203_162602024 (resized).jpgIMG_20170203_162602024 (resized).jpg

#96 7 years ago

I love how there are some many posts of toppers in the no toppers club

#97 7 years ago

Both plasma balls are hardwired to the game and interact (flash) when Frankenstein comes alive! Via a relay board.

IMG_2027 (resized).JPGIMG_2027 (resized).JPG

IMG_2034 (resized).JPGIMG_2034 (resized).JPG

IMG_2033 (resized).JPGIMG_2033 (resized).JPG

IMG_2035 (resized).JPGIMG_2035 (resized).JPG

#98 7 years ago

I'm of the factory topper only ilk...but those plasma orbs are pretty friggen cool.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from PiperPinball:

Both plasma balls are hardwired to the game and interact (flash) when Frankenstein comes alive! Via a relay board.

Ok, those are pretty damn cool, I'll admit.

#100 7 years ago

There are few toppers that I actually like. Offhand I can only think of a few worth mentioning that are good...

- White Water
    - Doctor Who

Ok, so there are two. There are plenty more that look nice on their own, but I don't want them up on top of my pinball machine.

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-no-toppers-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.