(Topic ID: 355259)

Official Jaws Pro VS Premium : which one to get?

By Cobray

88 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Khabbi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Jaws Edition to get : Pro or Premium (includes LE) ”

• JAWS PRO! 26 votes
    37%
  • JAWS PREMIUM! 44 votes
    63%

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

do-it.png (resized).png
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
#1 88 days ago

Been around the forums, read a lot of opinions on Jaws, but wanted to put it to a POLL so that's why I'm doing this thread..

Looking to possibly add a Jaws to my collection (wife wants one and I've moved a few other titles recently), to give context. I am budget conscious, but not afraid to pay up for a Premium edition if it's the better game OR the upgrades are worth it. But overall just want a fun game without feeling we're missing out on either gameplay or toys/cool things or even diverters/locks that make the game better (or getting a pro because it lacks certain locks/diverters and it makes the game better/faster).

I have not been able to play a Jaws Pro, only a premium (LE) at this point. I like the upper playfield, but not sure I would consider it a must have (or is it?). Pop up boat is cool also, but seems like a gimmick when the stationary shark does everything as a bash. Also couldn't care less about Drops vs stand-up targets.. just want the best game and bang for the buck.

So I'm putting this out to pinside.. Save the $2K and I won't miss the premium items or not? .
maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#2 88 days ago

Sounds like you made up your mind already.

That being said I was on the fence before playing both and the premium to me is more satisfying to play. After playing the pro version, it’s feels to stripped down. I love the shark shot, i feel the boat shot only in the pro is not very fun to shoot at. The way they integrate the shark in the game with the premium is awesome! And in a home environment it makes the game come alive.

I was really leaning towards a pro for this one but happy i did the premium otherwise for me I would have been disappointed.

#3 88 days ago

Pro is fine....just like Iron Maiden.

#4 88 days ago

I have been thinking of trading my Godfather Prem for a Jaws Prem recently, but the numbers don't line up for me.. but I have been thinking of this game also. I'll have a go at it (why not?).

1. Upper playfield- not really that fun IMO. Just like most upper playfields. But cool to have.

2. Boat with rising shark vs bask with stationary shark- doesn't seem like a big deal to me personally and zero game change.

3. Drop targets vs standups - not a big game changer to me. I think standups make a faster game though, and I like faster games.

4. Molded toys- no gameplay change/don't care.

5. Extra spotlight on the Premium. (LOL).

Most people I talk to are out on NIB games because of the losses... worth mentioning IMO. Given the recent history of Stern NIB's, perhaps there's less of a hit on a Pro than a Premium for resale? It's worth mentioning in the overall discussion and only you can decide if it means something to you. I know a bunch of guys waiting to buy one used but refuse to take the NIB hit. If it's a must have for you (or your wife), buy it and forget about it IMO.

I'm more of a Premium game buyer, and on this title, I would not turn away a Pro, I think it's just as fun as the Premium.

Just my $0.02. Best of luck!

#5 88 days ago

Tough call, but that Orca playfield really puts a damper of my ocean view real-estate! I mean that illumination up there is top notch, let's not hide it!

#6 87 days ago

You’ll get all the premium/LE buyers saying pro is too stripped down & barren. You’ll also get the pro buyers saying they don’t like upper playfields……and they’ll shit on each other such is pinside. To each their own so go play both!

I’m more inclined to the pro models on most games from a financial standpoint. The extra $2,500 I can put towards the next one!

The only mech I wished would’ve stayed on the pro is jaws popping up from under the playfield. Now then the pro would be a no brainer!

#7 87 days ago

If budget is an issue (which you said it wasn’t) then save the money. I picked up a show game for $9000 out the door with over $400 in upgrades.

If your ok spending 7000 on a pro the I would suggest waiting a 3 months because you will be able to pick up a premium for 8,000 to 8,500 likely.
(Looks like one is pending sale at $8,900 with 10 plays in it).

Also if you wait another week or two Stern likely reveal the next Stern game and then you will see some jaws pop up in the marketplace.

I love Keith Elwin games. I agree with most of the comments above about iron maiden Pro, which is the game that I decided to get and sold my premium. For that specific title for me, I personally like the pro better that’s why I sold the premium. I wasn’t a fan of the ramp that went up and down in the scoop.

Jaws is stapled to my floor for a long time.

I know when they release the $2000-$2500 jaws i would be confused as fuck for any pro owners who buy it lol. Because that $2000-$2500 in my opinion is likely much more fun on the playfield.

Now if John Wick is next I’ll buy that one also only as a show game because the MSRP prices are just stupid these days.

#8 87 days ago

Both play and shoot well. I have played a lot of pros on location and own prem. Can’t go wrong with either. Prem upper playfield is fun and adds a bit to the game. Upper playfield makes the game a bit easier. The boat on prem is at an incline so it’s slightly more difficult than the pro but it’s offset by the shark. Comes down to how much you want to spend. If you are wanting the more full game go prem. If you want the best bang for the buck go pro. Aesthetically, the prem is much nicer.

#9 87 days ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

If budget is an issue (which you said it wasn’t) then save the money. I picked up a show game for $9000 out the door with over $400 in upgrades.
If your ok spending 7000 on a pro the I would suggest waiting a 3 months because you will be able to pick up a premium for 8,000 to 8,500 likely.
(Looks like one is pending sale at $8,900 with 10 plays in it).
Also if you wait another week or two Stern likely reveal the next Stern game and then you will see some jaws pop up in the marketplace.
I love Keith Elwin games. I agree with most of the comments above about iron maiden Pro, which is the game that I decided to get and sold my premium. For that specific title for me, I personally like the pro better that’s why I sold the premium. I wasn’t a fan of the ramp that went up and down in the scoop.
Jaws is stapled to my floor for a long time.
I know when they release the $2000-$2500 jaws i would be confused as fuck for any pro owners who buy it lol. Because that $2000-$2500 in my opinion is likely much more fun on the playfield.
Now if John Wick is next I’ll buy that one also only as a show game because the MSRP prices are just stupid these days.

you seem completely consumed with the price of everything pinball lately.

Step back, take a breath, think of the fine things in life, many of which cost nothing.

Enjoy the hobby how you want, spend what you want, and stop caring about what others are spending or what pinball companies are charging.

Life will be better for you and better for us.

#10 87 days ago

I vastly prefer the premium, but still don't love either one, honestly.

#11 87 days ago

Premium for me

#12 87 days ago

Once you open up the box, you could realistically expect that the Pro will be worth $5500 +/-, and the premium $7500 +/-. So you might lose a little more on the Premium if money is THE thing you are looking at.

You could always wait for used... but what fun would that be?

Personally I like the Pro on this one, no B.S.....

I will say this... I don't personally know anyone buying NIB Stern's right now given the used prices... but you have to do what you have to do..

#13 87 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I vastly prefer the premium, but still don't love either one, honestly.

Vastly? Care to expand on that? It's nearly the same game. $2500 for the pop up toy that makes no difference plus a not-so-important upper playfield? I know it's always good to get the Premium "to have everything" but when it doesn't do much for gameplay, I don't see the big deal.

#14 87 days ago

yeah I feel the used market on Jaws is going to be very active in a year... it's a great game for pinheads who can get into the non-traditional design aspects, but it lacks in the fun department and there are just too many other great machines being manufactured these days. Based on mixed reactions and ratings, I expect this to lose value closer to AIQ and Venom than JP or Godzilla. If money is really your concern just go play on location and wait until the pro's are selling for under 6.

#15 87 days ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

yeah I feel the used market on Jaws is going to be very active in a year... it's a great game for pinheads who can get into the non-traditional design aspects, but it lacks in the fun department and there are just too many other great machines being manufactured these days. Based on mixed reactions and ratings, I expect this to lose value closer to AIQ and Venom than JP or Godzilla. If money is really your concern just go play on location and wait until the pro's are selling for under 6.

That’s a pretty bold claim since literally every market for every game is “active” a year after release, every single time!

(I think bbq might escape this, just because nobody is buying one. See also: spinal tap)

#16 87 days ago

Operators nearby seem to be purchasing more and more of the latest NIB of late, PF, labyrinth, BOTH Jaws, venom etc and enjoying supporting them until the right used pin shows up. I’m torn on the pro vs premium jaws. Enjoy the pro just fine, premium if you have the funds

#17 87 days ago

I played several games of both at Pintastic. Pro seems real stripped down to me by comparison. If I ever get one would definitely get premium. That’s just me.

#18 87 days ago

Jaws is not on my radar for purchase. After playing both the pro and the premium several times over the last couple of weeks, especially yesterday at PATZ, the pro is just too different for me. I much more enjoy the premium.

#19 87 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I played several games of both at Pintastic. Pro seems real stripped down to me by comparison. If I ever get one would definitely get premium. That’s just me.

Exactly how I see it.

#20 87 days ago

Premium, it’s not close with this title.

#21 87 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

you seem completely consumed with the price of everything pinball lately.
Step back, take a breath, think of the fine things in life, many of which cost nothing.
Enjoy the hobby how you want, spend what you want, and stop caring about what others are spending or what pinball companies are charging.
Life will be better for you and better for us.

I’m feeling great lately actually. Just trying to save people money. And i get more private messages than you can imagine of people thanking me CrazyLevi!

#22 83 days ago

Looks like the Premium wins on this one! It's a great game!! DO IT!!

do-it.png (resized).pngdo-it.png (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Magnetic Speaker Framez

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
FlipMods

9,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Powell, OH
Lighting - Backbox
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 210.00
$ 15.00
Playfields
Chrome Candy

$ 101.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 74.99
Lighting - Led
Cento Creations

$ 599.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 32.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cosmic Mods

$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.