Hot Wheels Cover (resized).jpg
975DE508-D1D7-4E56-B1C5-C9271505D190 (resized).jpeg
B4975FF9-1257-411B-BF8C-1005FD5EC366 (resized).jpeg
4A63312E-7244-4D55-BBEC-3CBDF37F0812 (resized).jpeg
8A225306-37CD-443E-A7D2-8D4CE9B2791E (resized).jpeg
0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
4D276B4A-5EB9-4E00-9E21-25111CC39D13 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#661 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders. I made a trip up to American Pinball's new factory and HQ in Palatine, Illinois just northwest of Chicago this weekend. My roommate, myself and API's sales manager Michael Grant spent some time on Hot Wheels.

I can say that while I have enjoyed and will continue to play Houdini and Oktoberfest, this is American's finest offering to date. It flows - think ToM with deeper, better, more meaningful modes. Probably the best and most concise way I can describe it.

Artwork is very faithful to the theme - the whole kit looks like a giant Hot Wheels collector case, pretty much. The cabinet and backbox on the side have what look like two HW track pieces linking together. That's pretty cool.

Much seems to be made of the offset screen and, to a lesser extent, the HW car rotating on the playfield. None are distractions or detractions. The car doesn't bother me any more than, say, the Mixmaster on Dr. Dude that's also constantly spinning up there.

Keep in mind, I don't have a pin at home and so this was my first non-virtual pinball in three-plus months. But I got to the track and loop multiball modes that implement the theme well. Scoring is a little higher than Houdini or Oktoberfest; more like the early-90s dot-matrixes from WMS. It has that same quality feel too. Eventually my roommate said it was time to go and I told him okay - after one more game.

I'll be back there for more soon.

105670147_10223069076412325_7422402429251496275_o (resized).jpg105670147_10223069076412325_7422402429251496275_o (resized).jpg
1 week later
#750 3 years ago

Here's a quick six minutes or so on the #1 prototype table at American's facility.

I don't play very well with a regular tripod and camera in front of me, my arms straddling it to the flippers. I better invest in some proper pinball podcast stuff

#752 3 years ago

It really is a blast. It's much more readily accessible and casual-friendly than the previous two API games, but has enough depth to challenge hardcores. It flows and flows fast. And while it helps to know the rules, this is a game anyone can walk up to, make a shot or two and make something happen.

The skill shot, "revving" with the left flipper and then touch-plunging, then completing it with the left orbit shot may be one of the better skillshots ever. It's also an example of how well the theme is integrated.

#759 3 years ago
IMG_2503m (resized).jpgIMG_2503m (resized).jpgIMG_2505m (resized).jpgIMG_2505m (resized).jpgIMG_2508m (resized).jpgIMG_2508m (resized).jpg
#784 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is this the pin that is getting raffled off? Thanks for posting!

A NIB copy, but otherwise yes.

#786 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is it my imagination, or do the flippers seem a little weak in that video?

Maybe? I've bricked track shots hard enough on that same table in games I didn't record that airballed straight into the right outlane. It's more that on some of those shots I don't shoot them flush, and honestly it's not bad to ease the ball up to the RPM targets for a "kiss" rather than a hard shot that creates a drain hazard. Kinda in the way that shooting the trolls in MM full speed is dangerous.

#799 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd say 758,960,300 is a good score. A darn good score.
And you had fun doing it !
LTG : )

There we go. A worthy goal for me when I go back for another session. 750Kish.

447,843,310 is my personal high so far. The one time I got a big RPM boosted score in a battle mode where I hit all the shots to win/score big. Having played no live pinball since March other than these visits to the factory to play HW, I was proud enough to have pulled that off.

Having seen Michael get a little deeper into the game than I have, I can say that multiplied EOB bonuses can get significantly large once you've collected some Hero cars, along with all the regular cars/tracks/loops etc. to have been racked up by then. I could see a future game in league on this getting decided by a couple of our top flight players on who tilts.

#801 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I hope so. The risk/reward of trying to save a ball is much more interesting when serious points are at stake in bonus. Plus we want to make that fun little "Advance Bonus X" target more worthwhile to shoot for. Bonus has actually been increased in value somewhat since the last code release, as part of ongoing score balancing.

This time I was able to really build one up, to 25M. I had another good one in another game that I lost on a tilt. Big risk, big reward....in the Hot Wheels zone.

Also around 7:25, it's a Track MB and I shoot two balls in succession into the track loop lane, trapping the second behind the drop target, then hit it Dirty Pool-style into the saucer.

Thanks again to Michael and the whole team at API for having me up, breaking my quarantine pinball drought with an excellent new game.

#836 3 years ago
Quoted from Vegas9:

And here is an another amazing stream in 4K of Hot Wheels, with myself answering questions and participating in chat.
Also on this stream is an unboxing video of Hot Wheels!
Double bonus - They even install TMNT Hot Wheels cars in the pinball machine during the stream!
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/684639818
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Totally tubular, dude.

#859 3 years ago
Quoted from Venetic:

hit enough pops to light turbo boost, then collect it at the kicker lane that is right of the rpm targets. Gives you a 10x multiplier for 15 seconds i believe

Get the boost, start a mode, hit the lit shots and watch your 50-70M score turn into 300M in a hurry.

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I would at this time like to point out my current inability to rev the tach AND plunge the ball at the correct level. Of note, I also fall down when chewing gum.

Really, while I love this pinball it's hard to put it in any superlative category except for one thing.

That skill shot.

Help me out here, is there any other pinball that, on the plunge, asked as much of the left hand at the same time you plunged the ball with the right? I've played it hours on end now as if I owned it, and I can't think of another game that did that.

That stuff is why pinball is great, and how silver balls and solenoids have lived on in a digital world.

#951 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I have the same problem with the left ramp. It’s hitting the metal protector at the end of the ramp and bouncing over. I’m at 6 degrees and perfectly level. Planning to install some thin drop-dead foam to correct. Not sure if you can buy the thin stuff anymore but luckily I have some on hand.

I noticed that the only time I'd see it happen on the machine at AP was when it kicks out of the track lane. Never when you shoot the ramp on the right.

Suppose the VUK that kicks it into the track loop could be putting some kind of funky spin that a foam stopper would probably correct. Noticed that a simple nudge just as the ball reaches the inlane worked too.

7 months later
#2604 3 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

Also what’s a good score on this pin?

That's going to have a bit of an upward curve with some understanding of the rules. For a middle-of-the-road player, shoot billion-plus and get there with some mastery of the skill shot, which will likely get you to Red Line Mania quickly on your first ball, picking up the Rip Rod to drive your EOB bonuses going forward, and then hitting the turbo boost only in multiball or some other mode to max out your scores from it.
I have not been on HW since summer at AP, but I remember one thing about some early, low-scoring games when I was just walking up to it for the first time shooting shots and reading more later:
Do not ignore the tachometer and <i>do not go over the redline on the skillshot.</i> That's a score-killer before the ball is even in play. When your score multipliers are low, you're not getting very much to show for your shots, in or out of a mode, and it takes shots to build it up when you had the chance to save those shots - and the attendant drain risk - right out of the shooter lane.
Even revving the engine lightly with the left flipper and getting it to 5 or 6 off the plunger is going to make a positive difference on every switch you hit, as opposed to starting at 1. I try to aim for 7 or 8.

I liken HW's turbo boost a bit to the 5X multiplier in WH20, except in that it comes as a random whirlpool prize and you can only hope it comes up when you have two balls locked and can quickly start multi and hit the jackpots with the stacked multipliers. HW has this, but it's not random. You only shoot that kickback with turbo lit in the most productive situation possible.

#2608 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

jfre81, nice thoughts on scoring... just a bit of a clarification on the skill shot: the flipper-rev is a "hidden bonus" that ONLY affects the skill shot points. More important is plunging the ball to the Zone 3 skill shot, which gives +3 on the Tachometer... that, as you suggest, immediately helps with scoring.
And yes, in general, the key to big points on Hot Wheels is keeping the Tach high, and using Boost wisely.

It's been a few months since I played HW, but optimistic that it'll be on the circuit when league reopens summer-ish. Can't come soon enough.

It did seem like if I overshot the 10 on the tach before plunge on the first ball, that I had more shots to make to get RLM.
I do remember the first time I hit the boost in mode and the score went from ~70 to 250M a few shots later, and then I realized what I need to do.
While on its face that seems rather unbalanced, it's a product of skill, shotmaking (and receiving that kickback without draining) and you earn every point of it.
If I ever play FT or CFTBL in league I can just shoot for Monster Fish or Move Your Car ramps/center lane and forget all the other drain-risky stuff on the field, no need for other modes or multi, and if I'm dialed into the same two shots then I can make a that looks nice on the leaderboard. HW makes it a little more involved than that, yet it's easy to understand after a bit of playing.
It's good game design on the part of the rules and software team at AP, if they're out there reading this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 61.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, MA
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfre81.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted?tu=jfre81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.