Hot Wheels Cover (resized).jpg
975DE508-D1D7-4E56-B1C5-C9271505D190 (resized).jpeg
B4975FF9-1257-411B-BF8C-1005FD5EC366 (resized).jpeg
4A63312E-7244-4D55-BBEC-3CBDF37F0812 (resized).jpeg
8A225306-37CD-443E-A7D2-8D4CE9B2791E (resized).jpeg
0DFC7152-3983-444C-B3E5-9552E6EC4D12 (resized).jpeg
FB28564D-E51C-49A8-9566-230A9CDDB135 (resized).jpeg
4D276B4A-5EB9-4E00-9E21-25111CC39D13 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

I noticed the multiple LEDs in the arrows in one of the videos, it is cool how it gives the arrow some sense of motion and highlights those shots when lit better than just flashing or being lit. I tried to determine if this is the first game to use this, anyone know of a previous game that did the same?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

I might be able to answer this? When I was a kid, I had just about every Hot Wheels contraption there was. I would go to neighborhood garage sales on my bicycle and buy any hot wheels track I could. Always, in every set up, a loop the loop or two, or three had to be involved. What I found out is that if the loop was too tight, the car would always come off the track. If the loops were too big, there wasn't enough centrifugal force to hold them on the track. My guess is between the playfield and the glass, there just wasn't enough room to make a proper loop to work without taking up too much space. The game would have been a one trick pony. Possibly a wire form cork-screw loop could have worked, but that is more roller coaster than it is Hot Wheels.
Again, rosh

That was my assessment too, it would have to be at the very back of the machine where there is maximum distance between playfield and glass. With it back there how do you ensure enough momentum to make the loop unless you build in some kind of accelerator via magnets and the two would take up too much space. Balcer is their designer and I assume this is his design, he's come up with cool toys before (Trunk / Roller Coaster / Couch lock etc.) so I can't believe he and the mechanical team didn't try to come up with a loop somehow. It could also be because they wanted to trim the BOM on this to lower price so they can market more to operators.

EDIT: Josh beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from vdojaq:

And once that hot wheels car is worn out, the function is dead. It's 99 cents for a home user to replace, but not very operator friendly.

Yeah, I doubt an actual HW car would last long if it's blasted through a loop over and over again a thousand times a day.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

A loop ramp like in Hurricane is what I was thinking. Laying on its side. The vux looks like the Juggler from Hurricane as well. Can't wait to see it in action.

I don't know that a designer should be taking any cues from Hurricane.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

JP has a loop off the shooter lane

That's actually a 180 scoop though, a real loop d loop HAS to be 360 so the ball keeps going the same direction, well unless your Hot Wheel setups were completely different than mine. If AP put that type of mech in and called it a loop everyone would be criticizing the hell out of it and rightfully so.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Just had a horrible thought. Please don't have that hideous monkey with band-aids somewhere in the art package. It's just not funny. It's unsettling.

I am hoping the wizard mode is to battle the castrated monkey!

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Gold Wings has a Hot Wheels loop.

Good point but it is enclosed at the sides and you can't really see the ball so that would not really give you the same Hot Wheels loop d loop visual.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Because its a 33 year old design. Camaaan!

And it's on a Gottlieb System 80.

#131 4 years ago

Looks like the "loop" VUK has a bend at the bottom to send the ball down the ramp towards the flipper faster than just dumping it up there like a normal VUK. Cool idea and should help speed up flow, looking forward to seeing the whole thing in action and actually playing it.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

That is indeed a drop target!
Appears to act as a roadblock to the
ball lock.

Isn't there one that blocks the shot to the VUK too?

2 months later
#228 3 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I’ll be a wet blanket. This is a head scratcher of a theme to me. Sure, my 10 year old would be interested, but why would adults purchase this? I guess if it plays great and has awesome code.. but still!

Because "adult" themes like "how to survive a global pandemic" and "my credit card debt is out of control" are major letdowns and we need some escapism?

#251 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Creative game designer? Have you played the Apollo 13 rocket,Simpsons couch,Houdini trunk shot,Oktoberfest coaster! It may not be flowy for your liking but the most creative and innovative designer ever to take chances in pinball. Forgot to mention he designed Houdini in weeks not months. Everyone else plays it safe or rehashes old ideas.
It looks to me Hot Wheels had to be simplified without the great wow design innovations in order to appease the public of a flowy fan layout game like all the rest. You may like this one?

That's very typical, everyone says they want something different until they get it then they complain and go buy another fan layout game. I have nothing against fan layouts and own / have owned several of them that I think are a blast but in a collection some odd shots and different geometries are great to have IMO. They said that they purposely scaled HW down to get a lower price point and to try to appeal to operators and more family friendly places so it makes sense that the layout is simplified. I doubt I'd buy this game but I sure as hell do want to play it and would certainly dump some money in one on location.

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I haven’t followed AP very closely and don’t own any of their games.
Have they had any play field issues like Stern and JJP? How is the overall quality of materials in an AP game?

I've never seen any reports of playfield issues on either of their games, the one in my Houdini is absolutely perfect with very minimal dimpling. Build quality of the cabinet is very solid and they use WMS / WPC style mechs for flippers, it feels a lot more like one of my old WPC games than it does a new Stern for sure. Electronics are primarily built using P3-ROC on the first two, not sure if HW does too but I suspect it does. So far the only consistent component issue I've seen reported is with the pressure switches they use for the beer barrel locks in OKT.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

Are they going to show the game's topper? Too soon? LOL.
For real, I'm REALLY excited to see this game.

It's a Hot Wheels car that rumbles and shoots mode-specific colored flames out the side pipes, price TBA.

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok fair enough. Am I the only one that enjoyed building models and collecting Hot Wheels to blow them up or set fire to them...... Wow I was a crazy minded kid. Don't even get me started on those awesome COX gas cars, Wow those were fun!

We never did that but we would build big, detailed encampments in the yard for Army men and then throw firecrackers and other fireworks into it for hours on end until we had completely destroyed it. May have placed a Hot Wheel or Matchbox car / jeep / Army vehicle in there from time to time. Ahhh the good 'ol days!

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Video set for private?

It wasn't before, I started to watch it but had to pause it for work (dammit). First couple minutes were pretty entertaining! Perhaps there's an embargo that Zach didn't know about to allow DeadFlip's stream tomorrow night to be the first official look at it.

#392 3 years ago
Quoted from Novastorm:

I'll start by saying I agree that TMNT looks worse than Hot Wheels, but AFAIK AP used existing footage from a YouTube series so not that much work from AP (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Now why Stern went the route of using only their own animations and not using existing footage is something I can't answer (perhaps resolution wasn't good enough).

The AP team has said it's about a 50/50 split between assets they were supplied and ones they created.

#425 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Looks to be a Winning circle game from AP. Not sure if this game is made out of steel but it surely is built like a tank. #17 is in the house and excited to share some pictures soon after mama and I gather the strength to uplift this beast. Thanks again AP, job well done! (and also Mr Awesome Christopher at KingPinGames!!!)
[quoted image]

Number 17, that qualifies as "early production"! Congratulations.

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Lol I kind of had the same huh moment. That screen pops up for a second till you plunge the ball. It could be a naked monkey and I wouldn’t notice it. Ok, maybe not a monkey...

Edit: asked and answered.

#471 3 years ago

Kinda nice to see positive reactions and people excited about a game around here.

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Other than those affiliated with AP or the video event, has anyone actually played it yet?
I’m curious what you think.

Yelobird has his and his comments are in this thread, I saw on the Helicon thread that they have one at the brewery and people have been in to play it as well. I'm really looking forward to getting a chance to play it, sucks that all the pinball shows have been cancelled this summer.

#570 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Funny enough my favorite design feature in the game is the right orbit/right scoop feature that paths back to the right inlane. It just works great and is satisfying.

It's like Balcer finally made an easy to hit version of the Crystal Ball / Milkcan shot and moved it to the other side of the Playfield.

#627 3 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Very cool, thanks for the reply; This is really great having the game designers on the forum.
Another idea about user select-able cars just to get your imagination flowing some more...Each car could come with a perk in the game, for instance a twin turbo super car could have a perk that the turbo boost is longer (or better multiplier), but the downside is you need to hit double the pops to activate it. Each of the limited number of select-able cars could have a different perk and downside; of course a few standard cars might not have any perk or downside just to keep the code 'standard'. Perhaps another car would have a slower revving engine on the launch making the skill shot easier; you know that kind of thing.
Anyway, can't wait to get the game; and thanks again for having a positive attitude about customer suggestions.

That sounds a little too much like the steins in OKT.

#632 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

not at all, its really GREAT on OF !!!
the possibilities on how you wanna build your game are more than various, its very nice, a perfect feature, and not only for "players"

It it great of OKT but rosh has said they didn't want to repeat themselves that way on HW. It can become overwhelming and time consuming when someone stands there flipping through all the options trying to make a decision on location as well.

3 weeks later
#878 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just so there is no confusion. I do tech support for Planetary Pinball Supply, Jersey Jack Pinball, and Chicago Gaming Company ( remakes ).
I don't do tech support for American Pinball. I try to help out here where I can. Limited because I don't have access to any of their games to learn them. Great people at American Pinball. I know many of them and consider them friends. No shows right now. But if I'm at a show they are at, I usually beat them in, in the morning, and clean the glasses on their games.
LTG : )

And to help remove any confusion that remains the "TG" in "LTG" transcends all manufacturers, individual games, etc. What a great asset to our hobby!!

#1005 3 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

I’d love to get the pops really hopping, what’s the simple fix? Change the spring? move the cup further away?

I spent a lot of time getting them as active as I'd like on Houdini and the biggest thing was just cleaning the hell out of those switches then adjusting them even when brand new. I feels like the centering spring in these are just really, really strong but I didn't want to take the whole thing apart to cut a section out or anything like that yet, they do break in after a while.

#1086 3 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Which boards are the coils driver boards ?

It's really easy to tell if you have power to the PD-16s mounted under the playfield as they have an LED right next to the power inputs. If you don't see those lit make sure to pull out the interlock switch if the coin door is open.

#1091 3 years ago
Quoted from joefox22:

Ok
That’s what I thought. Are all the leds next to the transistors supposed to be lit. I only have 5v and 3.3v indicators lit

There are high voltage power indicator LEDs next to the power inputs (brown / black wires) on both sides of both boards, if those aren't lit you don't have 48V to the boards. Double check the coin door interlock switch but I'm sure Dave can get you back up and running if that's not the problem.

2 weeks later
#1204 3 years ago
Quoted from nics135:

I am getting the ball stuck about once every two or three games when in the pops and it comes out into in the inner loop lane on the left side and ends up resting between the switch, the post rubber and the end of the lane guide. it really sits in there, I had to take out tilt bob so you could shake it out without tilting or taking the glass off. Anyone else seeing this? Game is level and about 6.2 degrees.

Did you try raising the back legs up to about a 6.5 degree playfield slope to see if that resolves it?

3 weeks later
#1352 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

from day 1 my shooter feels awful like its sliding on sandpaper instead of a bushing. whats the fix?

On my Houdini there was a washer installed on the shooter rod between the housing and the spring, once I took that off it has been very smooth.

2 weeks later
#1449 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Trust me, you do not want the voices of either rosh or myself coming out of your game's speakers.
Very glad to hear that you're having so much fun!

He was nice enough to give us Houdini owners a setting to only use the female voice for the movie announcements when he added his.

#1481 3 years ago

Great pics robotron and out of COVID induced boredom, experience and idle curiosity I'll say that it appears that all Hot Wheels games I've seen pics of are apparently using Bader playfields. Man, I have got to find somewhere to play this game!

1 month later
#1702 3 years ago

Finally got to play this on location last night, man is it fast!! Unfortunately the one I played must have had the flipper strength too high because shots to the targets near the left loop entrance would airball all the way back to or over the flippers! We only played a few games because of this and it was under a flourescent light that caused a lot of glare on the glass. My wife did get some good stuff going including a Red Line Mania which looked to be a ton of fun. Hopefully I'll get to play it again soon with a better setup.

#1712 3 years ago

I just keep hearing the deep "Shift gears" call-out from HS2 in my head when I read this.

1 week later
#1755 3 years ago

Love that Tempest car!

#1756 3 years ago
Quoted from Cobra:

My HW has been sitting at my distributor since Thursday. They have to get electrical inspection done and approved before I can pick it up.
Sucks.

What kind of electrical inspection? Surely the game is certified for the Canadian versus of U.L.?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 91.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Atoka, TN
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Life's Add-Ons

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobukcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hot-wheels-club-challenge-accepted?tu=bobukcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.